January 2015 Moms
Options

Any interest in a BF check in?

13»

Re: Any interest in a BF check in?

• Options
    Looking for some help/inspiration or anything at this point. Little man was born at 37w 1 day via csection. He is only 29 hours old and he has yet to latch and wants nothing to do with it. I am still in the hospital and have been pumping every 2 to 3 hours to try to get some colostrum to feed him with a dropper. Needless to say I have gotten less and less colostrum each time and now maybe get one little drop out of each boob after pumping for 20 mins. Is this normal? Any tips? This is baby 3 for me and I have never been successful in bfing. I Am Feeling Very discouraged and depressed that it's not working for me and that he has really yet to eat anything in 29 hours and they keep talking about me needing to give him formula. I would love any input Or encouragement you have. I want to succeed so bqd, yet here I am in tears feeling very lonely and helpless. Tia.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Daughter was born Wednesday morning. She's doing well on feelings. Her latch is shallow so that's been an adjustment because it is not the most comfortable for me although it's getting better. My milk is just coming in and unlike with the others I'll have to pump and feed. She's not eating enough for me to fully drain to where I'm comfortable and I can now feel the swelling under my arms. I was afraid she's not getting enough but she's not dehydrated and she's having dirty diapers. I'm hoping pumping will help and that i will have a good supply set for when I go back to work. I took my pump out yesterday and it's being cleaned. I pick it up today hopefully sooner rather than later. I need it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hang in there mama's!  I struggled with my first daughter but I didn't give up and was able to exclusively BF for 9 months!  I just had my second daughter on Monday and I thought BF would be a little easier the 2nd time around, but as I am finding out that's not really the case.  Every baby is different and will need to learn themselves how to latch and stay latched on for feeding.  I felt like I had no idea what I was doing in the hospital and it was hard to get into position because I had a c-section.  But I did feel much better once I got home, my milk came in and I was having some successful feedings.  It was a little disappointing however when we went in for our first appt after being released from the hospital and baby had lost a few more ozs when I thought she'd been eating well.  We had to bring her back in for another weight check the following day and luckily she'd gained 2 oz, when they only expect them to gain 1 oz per day.  So I know I just have to keep it up.  She's learning and we are making progress.  Too bad we have to continue going in for weight checks until she reaches her birth weight....hopefully Monday will be our last need for a weight check.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my story and that it isn't easy, but you just have to keep with it.  In the hospital I was in they really push BF because it's the best thing for your baby.  So everyone is willing to help you out and show you their tips.  Also, lactation consultants are very helpful as well, even once you leave the hospital you can make an appt to see one and get help with nurisng.

Good Luck and Keep Trying!
  • Options
    @AmyG* thanks for replying! Its really been a day by day struggle to keep BF but some days are much better than others. I've really tried to increase water and calorie intake and pumping extra. But for now I'm pushing through and haven't given them any formula today. Thanks for the tips!
    *loss and BFP mentioned*
    Me: Endo & No Tubes 
    DH: perfect!
    IVF#1 (Sept 2013) Long Lupron Protocol
               17 retrieved, 15 fert, 1 perfect blast trans, 10 frozen
                BFP--Ended-- Blighted Ovum
    FET#2 Tentative Sched: Start meds CD1=Feb 1, ET= Feb 19-20
              One Grade 4AA Blast transferred, 5dpt- BFP HPT, 6dpt- line darker
              Beta #1- 50, Beta #2- 30
              BFN- Chemical preg
    FET#3 CD1-4/11, start Injections on CD13, ET scheduled- 4/29
             CD12 u/s & bw- Lining 8.7, estrogen 335, cleared for ET in one week!
             CD19 ET- Two Grade 4AA Blast transferred one with assisted hatching
             4dpt- POAS = BFP!....POAS everyday after = DARKER! FX!
             Beta #1- 703!  Beta #2- 4,004! 
             First U/S, 5wk0d- TWO gest sacs, Both with yolk sacs and a fetal pole both measuring 3d ahead!
    ((Thank you LORD, praying these LO grow, grow, grow!)) 
    **Due date Jan 14th- Boy/Girl twins**

imageimage

• Options
    @soontobejp I agree with AmyG* about the frenulum! Our pediatrician told us that Lillian's frenulum wasn't too bad but I scheduled an appt with the ENT regardless because she wasn't gaining significant weight and she was tearing my nipples up! We went growths ENT, got her frenulum snipped and nursing was much better.

I did have to see a LC a week later because the damage to my nipples were so bad. However, in that week's time Lillian was able to nurse properly therefore she gained 18 oz!

Definitely get a 2nd opinion!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    So I've been having a tingling/sore sensation in my arm and hand during and after breast feeding, wondering if one of the nerves is being pulled? Anyone else experience this?

Also have a nickel sized lump in my breast that hurts when I touch it. Not
    Sure if it's a swollen milk duct or something more serious so I guess I'll be making a doctor appt to have that checked out. In the meantime I've been putting a warm compress on it every few hours...
  • Options
    @britb618 not sure about the first question with the nerves. I've never heard of such a thing while nursing.

As far as the lump goes, sounds like it very well could be a clogged duct.
    Warm compression like you're doing well help. Also get in the shower and let hot water run over it and try massaging it out. Nurse Jack on that side and massage it also.

I'd see a LC, and not a Dr. Though.

• Options
    @britb618‌ is it just a lump or is it also red and hot? If it's red and hot I'll call your OB for a prescription for mastitis. However is if is just a lump, I'd do what @LaBellaVida‌ suggested and have Jack nurse that side while massaging down toward your nipple. You can even hand express to get some of the milk out.
  • Options
    papapalie said:

Does anyone elses baby fuss and cry the entire time you are trying to burp them?? He makes it almost impossible!

Yes! Lillian does not like to be burped and she tries to eat my face if I burp her on my shoulder!
  • Options
    Thanks @LaBellaVida‌ and @mshepherd20‌ - I was thinking doctor in case it wasn't a swollen duct and was tumor related -just to be on safe side but it actually seems to have resolved it self- not sore this am and not feeling the hard spot anymore so likely was duct and its resolved now. Now if only I could solve this hand/arm tingling!
  • Options
    papapalie said:

Does anyone elses baby fuss and cry the entire time you are trying to burp them?? He makes it almost impossible!

Yes! Lillian does not like to be burped and she tries to eat my face if I burp her on my shoulder!
  • Options
    I just have a very sleepy girl. We wake up every 3 hours to feed but she will do between ten to twenty minutes on one breast and hardly any time on other before passing out milk drunk. Supply is not an issue. Really wanting her to gain back birth weight but a little nervous since she's doing less time on each side compared to 20 and 20. We do skin to skin and I tickle her feet and try other ways to wake her. I also turn lights on when I nurse. Baby girl is 7 days old. Am I being overly worried?
  • Options
    melissa11015melissa11015 member
    edited January 2015

Sounds like she's still hungry. Try feeding her some more and then burp her. Sometimes when I try to burp my LO and he's still hungry, he'll try to eat my face, shoulder, chest...whatever he can get his mouth on. When he does that, I will stop and switch him to the other side and try again after nursing on the other side.
  • Options
    AmyG* said:

mowl2014 said:

I just have a very sleepy girl. We wake up every 3 hours to feed but she will do between ten to twenty minutes on one breast and hardly any time on other before passing out milk drunk. Supply is not an issue. Really wanting her to gain back birth weight but a little nervous since she's doing less time on each side compared to 20 and 20. We do skin to skin and I tickle her feet and try other ways to wake her. I also turn lights on when I nurse. Baby girl is 7 days old. Am I being overly worried?

I would push feeds closer together if you feel you aren't getting in good feeding feeds in. Of course they do get more efficient and you can expect feeds to take less time. But if weight gain is a concern aiming for every two hours during the day maybe 2.5 ish and 3-4 at night can help.

Also try a bit more to nag to nurse. Switch sides tickle toes cool washcloth on back of neck sit up at the wait rub bridge of nose and palm of hand etc.

Count diapers. If you are getting above 6-8 a day you are probably ok but if bfeedjng is going well you may see 10-11 diaper changes with lots of poopy ones

Thanks @amyg* I think we are definitely more in the 10-11 range so hopefully her weight will be up at the appointment on Thursday. Thank you again
  • Options
    mshepherd20mshepherd20 member
    edited January 2015

Sounds like she's still hungry. Try feeding her some more and then burp her. Sometimes when I try to burp my LO and he's still hungry, he'll try to eat my face, shoulder, chest...whatever he can get his mouth on. When he does that, I will stop and switch him to the other side and try again after nursing on the other side.

I usually stop her mid-nursing session to burp her because when I don't she tends to spit up more.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"