April 2014 Moms

FFFC!

12346»

Re: FFFC!

• edited August 2014

I played in the book club! I love reading, but it's been fluff since the baby was born. Rereading agatha Christie novels is about the spare mental energy I have. I read a ton on my kindle right after DS1 was born, but now I can't really read during the day with the toddler about.

I loved the Book Thief, but I wasn't a huge fan of the other books. I'd do a book club again, but I hate chick lit. Like Jodi Picoult makes my skin crawl. I think that's a pretty UO, so I'd probably skip some months.

I was annoyed that there'd be a hundred people voting for books, and then the people who voted books in didn't even read or play!

Our fav book thread was awesome, and has me hankering to re-read some oldies. I feel like amazon needs to start giving ebook access for books we've bought paper copies of, just so I can reread without digging through boxes! I'm really feeling in a Jitterbug Perfume mood. But I think I'll download Anna Karenina, there ought to be free or almost free kindle versions of that somewhere.

Reading is just about the only hobby I keep up with these days (& I also keep a list every year!) but I cannot stand Jodi Picoult either.

I don't care for Ebooks though. I'm weird and part of my enjoyment of reading is the physical books themselves, their size, smell, cover art, etc. I get all my books from the library and only buy ones I want to reread, because otherwise I'd be broke and my home would look like a hoarder's.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • I'm reading comic books to Sprout. She likes the pictures.
  • Loading the player...
  • Two of my favourite books of all time are The Time Travellers Wife by Audrey Niffeneger (much better than the film version) and Room by Emma Donaghue. Both are written in really unusual ways and both made me cry like a baby. Room haunted me for weeks afterwards.
  • We're blaming hormones still? What is this, 1st tri?

Sleep deprivation is the thing currently fucking with my moods the hardest.

Yeah, that was kind of the joke.

• I'm reading comic books to Sprout. She likes the pictures.
    My other post baby reading ever has been going through all the Chris Claremont X-men. I have a comic book reader thing on my kindle, and a comic book is about my stamina for reading before bed at the moment. I somehow thought you'd approve. :P

Love Chris Claremont! Funny, I'm in the midst of reading her X-men The End that he wrote. It's supposed to be the x-men all grown up and how their stories end and move on to the next generation (which became a series).
  • I don't think Jodi Piccoult is chick lit! She's not really my cup of tea usually, but I think her books are more straight fiction. They ask uncomfortable questions and rest in the uneasy.

Room was crazy. Really, really well written but I can't call it a fave because it was just too hard.
    2014-08-24 15.36.57-2  2014-08-23 17.20.12
    2014-08-24 15.22.00  2014-08-20 12.19.26

Fell in Love: January 2003 
    Married: May 2006
    Baby Girl Born: April 2014
    If you ask me what I came to do in this world, I, an artist, I will answer you: 
    I am here to live out loud!
  • @Ooopsbaby14‌ one of my former book club's favorites was The Kitchen House.

The Jodi Picoult hate makes me a little sad. She's one of my favorites, and I consider it far from chick lit as the topics are deep and varied. I especially loved one of her newest, The Storyteller, but I like most holocaust stories. I think of chick lit as mindless fluff, not that that's always bad either. My first post baby read was a silly chick lit love story.

I'm currently reading A Storm of Swords (3rd book in the Song of Ice and Fire/GOT series) and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

Photobucket imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Not a Jodi Picoult fan. I don't read as much as I would like. My job has me reading a lot (our PLCs are basically book clubs reading books about leadership and crap) and I don't have the mental capacity for much else. It's amazing what sleep deprivation does to the brain.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Started dating February 6, 2012
    Married June 28, 2013
    BFP August 9, 2013
    Had our first baby, Samuel Robert, on April 17, 2014!

• I feel like a minority because my favourite books are fantasy, which doesn't seem to get much discussion except A Song of Fire and Ice. Robin Hobb is my favourite author of all time and released a new book only a couple of weeks ago but Im finding it hard to get into because my attention span just isn't that long anymore!
    Angel baby June 2013, DD born 22 April 2014, BFP 10 Sept 2015 - Due 22 May 2016
  • How did we go from Nazis to books...this has been the most confusing FFFC in A14 history

Seriously, the most flaming FFC put out by throwing books into the fire. I guess book burning isn't always a bad thing?
  • @avidkeo said:

I feel like a minority because my favourite books are fantasy, which doesn't seem to get much discussion except A Song of Fire and Ice. Robin Hobb is my favourite author of all time and released a new book only a couple of weeks ago but Im finding it hard to get into because my attention span just isn't that long anymore!

I'm reading royal assassin, good book.

mean_girls_35345Image and video hosting by TinyPic         PAL Sep challenge George Takei image
    Started dating in 5/9/05, Married 6/25/11
    Started TTC Feb 2013, BFP #1 3/4/13 EDD 11/10/13. MMC 4/9/13 D&C 4/22/13.
    BFP #2 7/17/13, EDD 3/29/14 ended in a CP on 7/22/13.
    BFP#3 8/19/13 EDD 5/3/14 Nerdling was born 4/29/14, welcome little one!
     All AL welcome.

image   Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I don't think I've read a book since B was born, but now that we are on a regular routine, I'm going to jump back into my list. I actually have a list on a "sticky note" on my computer homescreen. Where to start??

in the Garden of Beasts

Allegiant

Confessions of a Latter Day Virgin

The Book Thief

Hunger Games

devil in the white city

bared to you

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

The Room

Wild

Identical

Uglies

Gone Girl

Is everyone hanging out without me?

thirteen reasons why

bossy pants

the end of overeating

sharp objects

• Hmmm interesting ffc

I binge read. I haven't read in a long time but when I do sit down and read a book I tend to fly through it.

I read Sophie's world a while back.
    The 1st GoT

And was working on the second.

I feel like a space cadet most of the time these days though and concentrating is hard.

Ps is "happy mom happy baby" not pc to say now? I'm confused.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"