April 2014 Moms
Options

UO Thursday

13»

Re: UO Thursday

• Options
    AprilMay9 said:

AprilMay9 said:

Re sleep threads? Who is posting about how much they hate them in the thread @dani+california‌. I'm really curious. I may have love titted a comment about hating the sleeping threads and I do. I let DD sleep whenever she wants and she seems to be a good sleeper but those threads always make me feel like I'm doing something wrong. Or we should have more of a routine. Or be more consistent about where she sleeps. Or she is going to do a 180 and be wide awake for 7 days straight because she doesn't go to bed at the same time every night and I'm still swaddling and she is not put down sleepy but awake and and and other things I'm not doing.

I'm speaking specifically about the sleep thread I started to ask a question, and @LalaMama81‌ said how annoyed she was of sleep threads (which she has every right to be, but again...don't read them?) and it got a bunch of lovetits. There have been other times too, but this is the most recent one that comes to mind.
    Don't feel bad. She does that to like every question anyone ever asks. At least it seems like that to me. ;)

Really? Because I haven't noticed that at all. I think this comment was vey immature.
    I'm sorry, you're right the way I said that was immature.
    It has been my experience recently that some people make statements or ask questions and the response they get from her is less than helpful or friendly and it seems to be a recurring theme.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions about posters and there are times I really disagree with her advice or delivery but I think she is helpful and the sweeping generalization is unfair. No one was more helpful to me than lala when I was trying to bf. although I ultimately gave up she had a lot of really great advice and was nothing but encouraging.
    I agree I have seen her offer tons of educated support.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    AprilMay9 said:

I can't speak for lala but I got the impression in that thread that it wasn't frustration at danis question,but there was a lot of nonsense posted in response - not even what a14ers had done, but other methods and advice being discussed in theory.

AprilMay9 said:

I can't speak for lala but I got the impression in that thread that it wasn't frustration at danis question,but there was a lot of nonsense posted in response - not even what a14ers had done, but other methods and advice being discussed in theory.

Cant figure out how to bold on mobile "but there was a lot of nonsense posted in response" Should I get butt hurt at this? Nah got better things to worry about!
    Angel baby June 2013, DD born 22 April 2014, BFP 10 Sept 2015 - Due 22 May 2016
  • Options
    hordolhordol member
    edited August 2014
    I get that the sleep threads might give some people anxiety about how their kids sleep and what they're doing right/wrong, but the sleep threads are meant for those who are struggling. If your kid is sleeping well, why would you do anything to change it? Just keep on keeping on. And while waking every two hours at night might be normal for a baby, it's wasn't my kid's normal one month ago so I know he's capable of sleeping longer and I don't think there is anything wrong with trying harmless things to see if it helps your child sleeps. Just because it's "normal" doesn't mean you shouldn't try things to make it better, you know?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Started dating February 6, 2012
    Married June 28, 2013
    BFP August 9, 2013
    Had our first baby, Samuel Robert, on April 17, 2014!

• Options
    Rogue237Rogue237 member
    edited August 2014
    Back to the weight stuff - maybe it's a cultural thing (I'm multiracial), but I don't think stick thin is a compliment. A lot of models end up with 12 year old boy bodies, and that wouldn't be my ideal look. That said, no matter what your body looks like, there is a person out there that thinks it's hot, so I think you should just own the shit out of it. Don't get me wrong, I'm self conscious about my pouchy tummy from birth, but my husband thinks I'm sexy and my wide hips got a little wider and I'm all for that. "Real women have curves" isn't wrong, it just depends on the viewer. I just saw a show about a guy who dates with a fat fetish that was into women so big that they couldn't leave the house. There is indeed someone for everyone.

ETA - not to say stick thin is bad, it's just not my ideal body type. But obviously it is for some.
  • Options
    I've always been a thin person, but I do have a butt, so I don't typically get the "omg are you anorexic?" comments like I did when I was younger. I just never really know how to react or what to say when people say things like "you're so skinny. I hate you"and those type of comments. It just gets awkward. I feel like I can never say or do the right thing, especially around friends who I know struggle with weight

Photobucket imageimage

• Options
    I've always been skinny with a butt. I get "you've got a big butt for a white girl," as well as comments about being too thin. It's made me really self conscious getting both sides of the coin. In my head I'm hearing, "you're quite fat for a skinny girl."

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Since we keep talking about dumb phrases, I hate when people say "bad news bears." I have no clue what it means or what bears have to do with unfortunate news.
    1970s movie about a misfit baseball team.  They sucked.
  • Options
    J&NLJ&NL member
    I hate that fucking song
    photo ee249d6c-880a-4eb4-bc43-d6ab1f9fe662.jpg
  • Options
    People actually sing that song to me 8-|

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    LolaDair said:

I don't like pork. 

Even bacon. 

Sorry. :( 

My real UO: I f**king hate the expression "happy mama, happy baby!" and how its used to condone shitty parenting choices. 
    Totally agree about the happy mama happy baby.. While I do support moms taking care of themselves, it can be used to make some really bad, selfish parenting decisions ( I should add this does not apply to things like how you feed/diaper/etc)

• Options
    Batman can't be Superman. Yes, he's more interesting, but he'd lose 9 times out of 10. :-B
  • Options
    Rogue237 said:

Back to the weight stuff - maybe it's a cultural thing (I'm multiracial), but I don't think stick thin is a compliment. A lot of models end up with 12 year old boy bodies, and that wouldn't be my ideal look. That said, no matter what your body looks like, there is a person out there that thinks it's hot, so I think you should just own the shit out of it. Don't get me wrong, I'm self conscious about my pouchy tummy from birth, but my husband thinks I'm sexy and my wide hips got a little wider and I'm all for that. "Real women have curves" isn't wrong, it just depends on the viewer. I just saw a show about a guy who dates with a fat fetish that was into women so big that they couldn't leave the house. There is indeed someone for everyone.

ETA - not to say stick thin is bad, it's just not my ideal body type. But obviously it is for some.

Just wanted to say I love your $0.02 @Rogue237‌ because you legit have the body of a super hero. Ow ow owwww!
    2014-08-24 15.36.57-2  2014-08-23 17.20.12
    2014-08-24 15.22.00  2014-08-20 12.19.26

Fell in Love: January 2003 
    Married: May 2006
    Baby Girl Born: April 2014
    If you ask me what I came to do in this world, I, an artist, I will answer you: 
    I am here to live out loud!
  • Options
    I think my spandex days are over, @BiggerinRealLife‌, but my boobs are currently closer to the real thing than ever.
  • Options
    avidkeo said:

happy mama, happy baby is a lot like "happy wife, happy life" for me... often used to justify bad behavior. 

While I agree that sometimes "happy mama, happy baby" can be used to justify bad parenting, there are more occasions where mum is worked too hard, sacrificing everything she has to make sure everyone else is healthy that then end up very sick. I have seen it time and time again where mum comes in very very sick after taking care of everyone before herself. 

Yes motherhood is about sacrifice but there is a point where you HAVE to put yourself first in order to look after everyone else. You are no good to anyone else if you are falling over too sick. 

Obviously I'm not saying moms shouldn't take care of themselves and make themselves happy. I think taking time for yourself and doing things that make you happy are extremely important. It's the phraseology that's obnoxious, and, often, the women who use those words are using them to justify some sort of parenting shortcut.

As @AprilMay9‌ pointed out, I do see the phrase used in regards to FF a lot, and I am NOT at all talking about that sort of choice.

DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"