April 2014 Moms

UO Thursday

Re: UO Thursday

• Loading the player...
  • Re: Evolution. I believe the debate is far more complex than people want to admit. Macro evolution vs. Micro Evolution, for example.

One who states they believe in macro evolution, but believes God set things in motion, ie., "God created evolution;" is one who believes in theistic evolution.
  • smushismushi member
    I absolutely can't stand it when people say "Have a good one."

Are you so dang lazy you can't specify your wish for me?  I think "Have a nice day" is so much better.
  • Roufi said:

I don't get when I see people on here say something akin to the following:

"My baby sleeps ten hours from 7-5 every night! S/He just wakes to feed at 10:00, 1:00, and 3:00."

Yeah... That's not STTN.

THIS!

Also, I had to bite my tongue not to laugh yesterday. I had a (very nice) sales rep for a heating system yesterday telling me about his week old baby, who apparently sleeps through the night. Bwahahaha!
    Bahahaha! Because one week old babies sleep 90% of the time, that cancels out the 10% they're awake, right?? Right???
    2014-08-24 15.36.57-2  2014-08-23 17.20.12
    2014-08-24 15.22.00  2014-08-20 12.19.26

Fell in Love: January 2003 
    Married: May 2006
    Baby Girl Born: April 2014
    If you ask me what I came to do in this world, I, an artist, I will answer you: 
    I am here to live out loud!
  • Rogue237 said:
    I am a vegetarian (well, pescetarian) that has no issues with meat eaters. It drives me nuts when meat eaters apologize to me for ordering chicken off the menu or something as if all vegetarians are super judgmental assholes who are offended by your eating habits. Order that burger. Yes I will have that fry that touched it. We're not all a walking vegan joke.

That said, I *do* think a lot of issues would be solved if everyone just ate 1/2 the amount of meat they are eating. Americans especially way over-portion meat and eating so much of it for every meal is having terrible effects on the environment. Da welp.

YESSSSSSSSS. I have a friend that actually asks permission to order something that has meat in it, even though everysingletime I tell her that I wouldn't even notice if she had. Another thing that drives me crazy is when people get so damn defensive about eating meat when I never even put it up for debate. OR when they call me a hypocrite for wearing leather. I don't, and the things people actually assume are leather are, in fact, not either. If you're sitting on it yes it is, otherwise it's synthetic.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Lol, sorry @Bluebird2318‌ I'm a texture person and sushi just doesn't do it for me. :-??
  • Lol, sorry @Bluebird2318‌ I'm a texture person and sushi just doesn't do it for me. :-??
    I'm actually a texture person too. Certain sushi options like squid, octopus, and roe don't do it for me just for that reason. I prefer the softer fish. Have you ever tried it with seared fish? That changes the texture a bit. 
    March 2017 September Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fall Things

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Bluebird2813 hey, it's worth a shot! Now I'm seriously craving Japanese =P~ @PoppySeedWindsor‌ Nope, never. KEEDING ;) I love me some, pork. So we're good!
  • J&NLJ&NL member

I hate that everyone who doesn't approve of the sleep threads needs to make sure EVERYONE knows they're not pleased.

I don't need to read 183829 threads about cloth diapers but that doesn't stop everyone from posting them. Do I bitch about it? No, I just don't read them. Welcome to the internet. Some of us have questions and concerns we should be able to discuss without having someone comment every. single. time. how annoying they find it.

Don't read it. Just because it doesn't apply to you doesn't mean it's not worth discussing-even if it IS repetitive. Move along.

+1
    photo ee249d6c-880a-4eb4-bc43-d6ab1f9fe662.jpg
  • J&NLJ&NL member
    avidkeo said:

J&NL said:

AprilMay9 said:

I think people who complain about how thin they are and how hard it is to not have curves are humblebraggars. I will never believe you that being skinny is harder than being even moderately overweight. Don't fight me on it.

Eta: I was at one point thin enough I often got concerned comments. I enjoyed it. I've been on both sides and being so thin it's hard to find clothes is nothing compared to being heavier and having the same experience.

You might have enjoyed it but I did not. Just because someone is thin doesn't mean they are happy with the way their body looks. When you are constantly being told to put some meat on your bones, it can really tear someone's self esteem down. Even the thin girls.

Eta:words

Yeah thats on. People really shouldn't say anything about how you look regardless of your size!

Even if it's not directly said to you, it's constantly being thrown at you with social media and like someone said the Sofia Vergara thing.

I get it that it's meant to be more of "accept your body the way it is" kind of thing but when it's constantly degrading thin women for not having "curves", it can be just as harmful as someone saying "omg lose weight".
  • MommaY4814MommaY4814 member
    edited July 2014
    J&NL said:

AprilMay9 said:

I think people who complain about how thin they are and how hard it is to not have curves are humblebraggars. I will never believe you that being skinny is harder than being even moderately overweight. Don't fight me on it.

Eta: I was at one point thin enough I often got concerned comments. I enjoyed it. I've been on both sides and being so thin it's hard to find clothes is nothing compared to being heavier and having the same experience.

You might have enjoyed it but I did not. Just because someone is thin doesn't mean they are happy with the way their body looks. When you are constantly being told to put some meat on your bones, it can really tear someone's self esteem down. Even the thin girls.

Eta:words
    When I was AT ONE TIME skinny... I, like @AprilMay9‌ loved being commented on even negatively. But DH, however has always been really skinny and has a complex about it. So I see both sides.

Edited for dumb mobile's malfunction.
  • J&NL said:

I didn't mean like shooting guns or anything. For example, today I took DD to the park and her and a little boy were playing ninjas. They were having a great time and if one accidentally made contact, we just corrected them and kind of laughed about it and shake our heads because they are KIDS.

On the other hand, I've seen parents freak out at the sight of their kid even play fighting so when there is some kind of contact, that kid runs and cries instead of brushing it off. I think if you put your kid in a bubble and not let them settle their own problems or even brush them off then every little thing that happens to them is a huge deal.

Kind of like when your baby is learning to walk and they fall. If you make a huge deal about it they'll cry every time it happens but if you don't, then they'll grow up brushing it off rather than freak out. That's just how I see it.

I'm not sure where the guns thing came into play??

I assumed you were talking about pretend gun play because there's a lot of debate on that topic and saying "I think parents who don't let their kids pretend play with guns are creating wussies" would be a true UO!

I think what you're describing is just another example of helicopter type parenting, and, while I wouldn't use the word choice "making their kids into wussies," I would agree that sort of parenting behavior is obnoxious.

(Not trying to say YOU DIDNT GIVE AN UO!!!! Just trying to clarify why I assumed you were taking about pretend gun play.)
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • J&NLJ&NL member

J&NL said:

I didn't mean like shooting guns or anything. For example, today I took DD to the park and her and a little boy were playing ninjas. They were having a great time and if one accidentally made contact, we just corrected them and kind of laughed about it and shake our heads because they are KIDS.

On the other hand, I've seen parents freak out at the sight of their kid even play fighting so when there is some kind of contact, that kid runs and cries instead of brushing it off. I think if you put your kid in a bubble and not let them settle their own problems or even brush them off then every little thing that happens to them is a huge deal.

Kind of like when your baby is learning to walk and they fall. If you make a huge deal about it they'll cry every time it happens but if you don't, then they'll grow up brushing it off rather than freak out. That's just how I see it.

I'm not sure where the guns thing came into play??

I assumed you were talking about pretend gun play because there's a lot of debate on that topic and saying "I think parents who don't let their kids pretend play with guns are creating wussies" would be a true UO!

I think what you're describing is just another example of helicopter type parenting, and, while I wouldn't use the word choice "making their kids into wussies," I would agree that sort of parenting behavior is obnoxious.

(Not trying to say YOU DIDNT GIVE AN UO!!!! Just trying to clarify why I assumed you were taking about pretend gun play.)
    I've never heard the term helicopter parenting. Learn something new every day!
  • smushismushi member
    @avidkeo Not a UO but I think your LO is one of the cutest I've ever seen.

This could be partially due to the fact that she looks a lot like my LO to me.  

Just really had to get that one off my chest, phew!  :)
  • smushi said:
    @avidkeo Not a UO but I think your LO is one of the cutest I've ever seen.

This could be partially due to the fact that she looks a lot like my LO to me.  

Just really had to get that one off my chest, phew!  :)
    Awww thank you! Now I really want to see a pic of your LO!
    Angel baby June 2013, DD born 22 April 2014, BFP 10 Sept 2015 - Due 22 May 2016
  • My UO (this should stir the pot),

I think that most disagreements on methods to raise children tend to be a cultural thing - though there are something EVERYONE should agree on.

Opinions on stepped soothing I believe is cultural, leaving a baby to cry for 8 hours is NOT - and frankly that is child abuse. Circumcision is cultural, when to feed and what to feed your child is cultural, but leaving your baby in the same nappy for 12 hours is NOT! 

I think after this week I am way more open to different opinions being a cultural difference, and I think Americans get a bit more uptight about things than other people. Ok, now have at that! 
    ITA. I think this is why I feel so disconnected from the majority of the board sometimes. In my little corner of the world, the way I raise my baby is the norm. On TB, I get a lot of flack. I think it boils down to where you're from. Just because you did this or your doctor said that or you read this doesn't mean it applies to everyone/anyone else's parenting choices. We are all just doing the best we can with what we know and what our maternal instincts tell us is right.
    Where are you from?
    Angel baby June 2013, DD born 22 April 2014, BFP 10 Sept 2015 - Due 22 May 2016
  • Re sleep threads? Who is posting about how much they hate them in the thread @dani+california‌. I'm really curious. I may have love titted a comment about hating the sleeping threads and I do. I let DD sleep whenever she wants and she seems to be a good sleeper but those threads always make me feel like I'm doing something wrong. Or we should have more of a routine. Or be more consistent about where she sleeps. Or she is going to do a 180 and be wide awake for 7 days straight because she doesn't go to bed at the same time every night and I'm still swaddling and she is not put down sleepy but awake and and and other things I'm not doing.
    I'm speaking specifically about the sleep thread I started to ask a question, and @LalaMama81‌ said how annoyed she was of sleep threads (which she has every right to be, but again...don't read them?) and it got a bunch of lovetits. There have been other times too, but this is the most recent one that comes to mind.
    Don't feel bad. She does that to like every question anyone ever asks. At least it seems like that to me. ;)

Really? Because I haven't noticed that at all. I think this comment was vey immature.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"