April 2014 Moms

Stupid Questions Thread

Re: Stupid Questions Thread

• amhah09 said:
    What kind of charges could baby incur at the hospital after birth, assuming all is normal and well? I called insurance awhile back to try and figure out about how much DH and I would be responsible for paying after birth. We have to pay our deductible and then 15% coinsurance for me, but then they reminded me that as soon as he is born, baby is viewed as a separate patient so we would have to pay his deducible and then 15% coinsurance for him, too.

What kind of charges do babies rack up assuming that he doesn't need any special care or NICU time or anything?
    You'll still pay his "room and board" and shots, exams, pedi visit, etc.
    Thanks! This helps, most of this stuff didn't even cross my mind for some reason.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Started dating February 6, 2012
    Married June 28, 2013
    BFP August 9, 2013
    Had our first baby, Samuel Robert, on April 17, 2014!

• hordol said:

amhah09 said:

hordol said:

What kind of charges could baby incur at the hospital after birth, assuming all is normal and well? I called insurance awhile back to try and figure out about how much DH and I would be responsible for paying after birth. We have to pay our deductible and then 15% coinsurance for me, but then they reminded me that as soon as he is born, baby is viewed as a separate patient so we would have to pay his deducible and then 15% coinsurance for him, too.

What kind of charges do babies rack up assuming that he doesn't need any special care or NICU time or anything?

You'll still pay his "room and board" and shots, exams, pedi visit, etc.

Thanks! This helps, most of this stuff didn't even cross my mind for some reason.

Yeah, sorry I didn't have a ballpark figure for you but I figured you were just drawing a blank and wondering what was charged (and not necessarily how much).

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14
  • Loading the player...
  • aviola329 said:

When they say amniotic fluid smells sweet, how sweet is sweet? Would it be obvious or what? My underwear is wet, but I'm not smelling anything. Not sure if I'm leaking or if it's sweat/discharge/etc...only thing I'm sure of is it's not urine.

It wasn't obvious for me. I had to sniff. Even then I wasn't totally sure until it just started gushing more and more.

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14
  • aviola329 said:

amhah09 said:

aviola329 said:

When they say amniotic fluid smells sweet, how sweet is sweet? Would it be obvious or what? My underwear is wet, but I'm not smelling anything. Not sure if I'm leaking or if it's sweat/discharge/etc...only thing I'm sure of is it's not urine.

It wasn't obvious for me. I had to sniff. Even then I wasn't totally sure until it just started gushing more and more.

I did sniff LOL and there's no smell at all. I changed my underwear to see if it keeps going no gushing yet....

Doesn't sound very likely that it's your water then :)

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14
  • Ok so nesting, is this a real "labor is coming sign?" Do all women nest? Is there a different feeling to nesting vs. I really need to be a responsible adult and clean my house before this baby gets here?

I only ask because I am 34 weeks today (EDD April 30th) and I have been cleaning all week, but my house is a mess and I have this giant list of stuff to do before the baby gets here. People keep telling me I'm nesting. I don't think I am, but I guess I could be?

I've just heard nesting is only like the last couple of weeks and I have 6 more to go and as uncomfortable as I am I don't really want the baby to come early.
  • Agree with Colleen. I've been nesting since 28 weeks. It's just one of those annoying social comments: "ohhhh you're nesting, baby must be coming!"
  • What do you ladies think if the Target brand of disposable breast pads? They are so much cheaper but I don't really know anything about them. TIA!
  • STM and haven't nested yet. My DH takes on that one for me. He nests really bad and he gets the strange cravings symptom :)
  • What do you ladies think if the Target brand of disposable breast pads? They are so much cheaper but I don't really know anything about them. TIA!

I'm allergic to latex (and other plastics) so the disposable breast pads drove me crazy. They made my already sore breasts itchy and red covered in a rash. I only use them during a thrush outbreak. (I'd rather take Benadryl and have a localized rash than get gentian violet all over my reusable breast pads.)

As for the brand, I don't think it would matter if you use generic v name brand. Once I realized I had an allergic reaction to them, I finished the box I had. If I needed more I went with generic. I wasn't going to spend extra money on something that wasn't going to get much use.
    What?! They have latex in them? I have a latex allergy as well, but never connected that to why I had incredibly itchy raw nipples. I thought it was just part of BF. Good to know.

• For those who have been very sick throughout please tell me that the nausea and puking goes away very soon after baby is delivered!
    Together Since 9/14/2008 
    Married since 08/19/2011 
    Audrey born 5/9/2014 

A14 August Siggy Challange: This time Last Year

Me DH
    image image

• ColleenSwerb Thank you!
    Together Since 9/14/2008 
    Married since 08/19/2011 
    Audrey born 5/9/2014 

Me DH
    image image

• What does it mean when people exclaim....Wow you're carrying low!!!! I've heard it twice this morning and a couple times last week. Does it matter where I'm carrying? Does it mean they think I'm going into labor soon? Its not bothering me, I just want to know what the big deal is.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• zoopsiedaisyzoopsiedaisy member
    edited March 2014
    Another question... Baby Center just got me into a FTM fit about a first aid kit. Here's the list. Good, too much, add something else you didn't know you would need until baby arrived?

Infant and/or child thermometers (both digital and ear or rectal)

Children's and/or infants' acetaminophen and ibuprofen, as recommended by your doctor, to relieve fever and mild pain

Antihistamines, as recommended by your doctor, for insect bites, hives, and allergic reactions

Topical calamine lotion or hydrocortisone cream (.5%) for insect bites and rashes

Rubbing alcohol swabs to clean thermometers, tweezers, and scissors

Petroleum jelly to lubricate rectal
    thermometers

Antibiotic ointment for cuts and scrapes

Irrigating eye wash to rinse irritants from eyes

Saline nose drops to clear stuffy noses
    Aloe gel for burns

Tweezers for removing splinters and ticks

A pair of sharp scissors

Child-safe sunscreen (See sun safety and sunscreen guidelines.)

Child-safe insect repellent
    Nasal aspirator bulb (not a pointy-ended ear syringe)

An assortment of adhesive bandage strips in various sizes and shapes (for children's sensitive skin, get the less-sticky kind)

Gauze rolls (1/2 to 2 inches wide)

Gauze pads (2 by 2 inches and 4 by 4 inches)

Adhesive tape

Sterile cotton balls

Cotton-tipped swabs

Non-latex gloves

Mild liquid soap (most antibacterial and deodorant soaps are too strong for babies' sensitive skin)

An oral syringe or calibrated cup or spoon for administering medicines

A package of tongue depressors for checking sore throats

A hot water bottle and an ice pack

A small flashlight to check ears, nose, throat, and eyes

Blanket (space blanket)

First-aid manual: American Medical Association Handbook of First Aid and Emergency Care

BabyFruit Ticker

• @KendraColeslaw I've never had the "real" ones but mine weren't that scratchy straight out of the package and they've definitly gotten softer with washing. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
                                ~Missed MC at 8 weeks. D&C at 12 weeks on 4/17/13~ 
       Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • ksulliksulli member
    edited March 2014
    @Heidiman- holy over prepared list! My thoughts:
    Infant and/or child thermometers (both digital and ear or rectal)- we used my BBT in her armpit. My NICU PNP cousin approved.

Children's and/or infants' acetaminophen and ibuprofen, as recommended by your doctor, to relieve fever and mild pain- we went out to get it when the pedi said she needed it. Wait, because they have expiration dates, and shouldn't be used until your pedi suggests it & gives you a dosage.

Antihistamines, as recommended by your doctor, for insect bites, hives, and allergic reactions- waited until we needed it, same as above.

Topical calamine lotion or hydrocortisone cream (.5%) for insect bites and rashes- never used

Rubbing alcohol swabs to clean thermometers, tweezers, and scissors- have on hand anyway

Petroleum jelly to lubricate rectal thermometers- have on hand, never used.

Antibiotic ointment for cuts and scrapes- have on hand for us, never used on baby.

Irrigating eye wash to rinse irritants from eyes- seriously?

Saline nose drops to clear stuffy noses- not a terrible idea. Never had it.
    Aloe gel for burns- um, keep baby away from flames & out of the sun...

Tweezers for removing splinters and ticks- I have anyway

A pair of sharp scissors- I have anyway

Child-safe sunscreen (See sun safety and sunscreen guidelines.)- not till 6 mos

Child-safe insect repellent- not till 6 mos
    Nasal aspirator bulb (not a pointy-ended ear syringe)- get it n

An assortment of adhesive bandage strips in various sizes and shapes (for children's sensitive skin, get the less-sticky kind)- didn't need until toddlerhood.

Gauze rolls (1/2 to 2 inches wide)- if my newborn needs gauze to dress a wound, I'm going to the pedi. (Unless you need to care for circumcision)

Gauze pads (2 by 2 inches and 4 by 4 inches)- same as above.

Adhesive tape- same as above

Sterile cotton balls- I and, didn't use

Cotton-tipped swabs- I had, didn't use

Non-latex gloves- it's your own child. Their bodily fluids will be all over you.

Mild liquid soap (most antibacterial and deodorant soaps are too strong for babies' sensitive skin)- had it for tubs

An oral syringe or calibrated cup or spoon for administering medicines- usually comes with infant medicines

A package of tongue depressors for checking sore throats- really? No.

A hot water bottle and an ice pack- have anyway

A small flashlight to check ears, nose, throat, and eyes- have anyway, didn't use for baby

Blanket (space blanket)- ummm, there's one on my bed.

First-aid manual: American Medical Association Handbook of First Aid and Emergency Care- some kind of 1st aid book is nice to have.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • Does the swelling on the tops of my feet go away? I know people talk about their feet changing but if my feet are going to be this puffy forever I might cry!

Also @KendraColeslaw‌ I have the BRU version of the a+a blankets and they seem pretty soft to me once I washed them. I can't imagine them being any softer actually.

I'm allergic to latex (and other plastics) so the disposable breast pads drove me crazy. They made my already sore breasts itchy and red covered in a rash. I only use them during a thrush outbreak. (I'd rather take Benadryl and have a localized rash than get gentian violet all over my reusable breast pads.)

As for the brand, I don't think it would matter if you use generic v name brand. Once I realized I had an allergic reaction to them, I finished the box I had. If I needed more I went with generic. I wasn't going to spend extra money on something that wasn't going to get much use.
    What?! They have latex in them? I have a latex allergy as well, but never connected that to why I had incredibly itchy raw nipples. I thought it was just part of BF. Good to know.

Yep. So do regular pads. I have really heavy periods so I have to use pads at night regardless of tampon use (too many leakages). I didn't make the connection until DD1 proved to have my allergy (we are now totally latex free). I got what I thought was a yeast infection with every period only to discover it's actually from the latex; I'm switching to latex free alternatives after this pregnancy. I can't even use tampons with plastic applicators.
    I definitely had a reaction. I had horrible itching when I had the pads on and even bled, but when I didn't wear the pads I was fine. I couldn't figure it out. Thanks!
  • @KendraColeslaw‌ - I cannot speak from experience, only from research as I was concerned about the same thing with the A+A blankets and what I have seen most comment on is the prints are what are scratchy. Solids are super soft. Again, I don't really PERSONALLY know. Good luck!
  • @Sisimama10‌ -- I'm glad I could help. It never occurred to me with DD1 either. It wasn't until DD1 reacted to latex that I put two and two together. With DD2, I definitely noticed the reaction and researched the latex issue. Hopefully you won't have to deal with that side effect this time around.

DD also reacts to latex. If I use normal band aids on her, it literally just eats a hole in her skin.
  • SLSchuerg said:
    I hope this hasn't been asked before. My husband and I live with his parents in a 2-bedroom house. Our room is upstairs. I've been getting anxious about having to make the trip up the stairs after delivery. It wouldn't be so bad if everything I needed was upstairs since I could possibly live upstairs until I felt good enough to take them (ugh, but even that sounds terrible), but we have to shower downstairs. So my question is: since my body is used to taking the stairs regularly already, do you think it'll be okay to take them minimally afterwards? Or should I try to figure something out after delivery to where I don't have to take them? If so, how long do you think it'd have to be? I know everyone is different, and there are probably factors that'll play into it (possible c-section, episiotomy, etc.) that I won't know about until I deliver, but what has been your experience?
    Our bedrooms are upstairs and I had an ECS. I even walked stairs at the hospital the day I was discharged (36hours after the cs). I was fine, but I think all pregnancies are different.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Does the swelling on the tops of my feet go away? I know people talk about their feet changing but if my feet are going to be this puffy forever I might cry! Also @KendraColeslaw‌ I have the BRU version of the a+a blankets and they seem pretty soft to me once I washed them. I can't imagine them being any softer actually.
    Thanks!
    Also, the swelling should go away since it's water retention. I only have one friend who said her feet went up one shoe size and stayed that way, but she didn't seem to consider that she never lost her pregnancy weight (being honest). My OB actually told me at my last appointment that I could swell even more after birth, legs/feet included, but then it'll start to decrease afterward. She reassured me that I will see the tendons in my feet again!
    -------------------------------------------------- Swelling goes away, but even though I did go back down to pre-pregnancy weight I am up a shoe size from pre-DD1. I was a 7 and ended up an 8. At the height of swelling with her I could wear a 9. My shoe size didn't change with DD2 and hasn't changed with DD3 at all.
    Please tell me that the going up a shoe size and staying there is an unusual thing! I already wear a women's 13 (US size) I have never seen a 14! Oh dear lord!
    Together Since 9/14/2008 
    Married since 08/19/2011 
    Audrey born 5/9/2014 

Me DH
    image image

• MrsZ0811 said:
    Does the swelling on the tops of my feet go away? I know people talk about their feet changing but if my feet are going to be this puffy forever I might cry! Also @KendraColeslaw‌ I have the BRU version of the a+a blankets and they seem pretty soft to me once I washed them. I can't imagine them being any softer actually.
    Thanks!
    Also, the swelling should go away since it's water retention. I only have one friend who said her feet went up one shoe size and stayed that way, but she didn't seem to consider that she never lost her pregnancy weight (being honest). My OB actually told me at my last appointment that I could swell even more after birth, legs/feet included, but then it'll start to decrease afterward. She reassured me that I will see the tendons in my feet again!
    -------------------------------------------------- Swelling goes away, but even though I did go back down to pre-pregnancy weight I am up a shoe size from pre-DD1. I was a 7 and ended up an 8. At the height of swelling with her I could wear a 9. My shoe size didn't change with DD2 and hasn't changed with DD3 at all.
    Please tell me that the going up a shoe size and staying there is an unusual thing! I already wear a women's 13 (US size) I have never seen a 14! Oh dear lord!
    I think mostly it's because the extra weight make our feet spread and some women even loose their arches completely and go flat-footed.  I don't think it happens to that many people, but I do know some women who said their feet never went back.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Girl: 2014/4/25  K: Born 2012/02/20
    BFP 12/31/2010; missed m/c @ 6w1d, medical m/c(Misoprostol)@ 13w2d.    My Blog

• What does it cost to deliver a baby in the US after insurance?

• What does it cost to deliver a baby in the US after insurance?

Depends on how good your insurance is, how your delivery goes, and who attends it.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • If you have a SCS do they break your water once they cut you or through your vag? My first was ECS so I had already been in active labor and water broke that way.
  • Okay thanks Ladies. Both my girls will be born here in Africa so I don't have a frame of reference. I have the best insurance you can get here and we pay about $1000-1100 out of pocket for a cs. The insurance covers $1500. I just didn't know if birthing in the US was a lot more expensive than here. My family/friends always asked me a lot of questions about delivering a baby in a 3rd world country.
  • Okay thanks Ladies. Both my girls will be born here in Africa so I don't have a frame of reference. I have the best insurance you can get here and we pay about $1000-1100 out of pocket for a cs. The insurance covers $1500. I just didn't know if birthing in the US was a lot more expensive than here. My family/friends always asked me a lot of questions about delivering a baby in a 3rd world country.
    if the total cost of a CS is 2600 (1100 pocket and 1500 insurance), then it is a lot cheaper there than it is here. it is about 30000 (before insurance) for a CS here
    June Siggy Challenge

imageMy little Princess
    BFP#2 7/28/13 EDD 4/9/14 Birthday : 4/10/14 Adalyn Nanette :)
    BFP#1 6/29/12 LTMC 10/20/12 (20 weeks) induced delivery 10/22/12
    Pregnancy Ticker

• WOW! I thought birthing in the US was more expensive! When we get around to #3 we will be back in the US, but hopefully whatever insurance we have (I'm a teacher) will be good enough!
  • A quick side note but children's Advil or Ibuprofen isn't recommended <6 months.

• MrsZ0811 said:
    I will have major sympathy tears for you if you go up a size. From what I hear it is actually pretty common and I'm living in fear as well. I wear an 11 and struggle to find shoes as it is. It took me years to accept that with my height I have to have big feet or I'd tip over. I'll be a disaster if I have to travel that insecure road again.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• MrsZ0811 said:
    I will have major sympathy tears for you if you go up a size. From what I hear it is actually pretty common and I'm living in fear as well. I wear an 11 and struggle to find shoes as it is. It took me years to accept that with my height I have to have big feet or I'd tip over. I'll be a disaster if I have to travel that insecure road again.
    Advice I've gotten about this is wear shoes all the time. Have house sneakers to wear, it will help your feet maintain arch and support and help reduce them widening and what not. I will be heartbroken if my cowboy boots don't fit. Luckily my nicest pair are what I am still wearing everywhere, but one of my pairs is a smidge too tight right now :[
    Why do my boobs look so good?image
    Then I peed on a stick...image

• MrsZ0811 said:

Ditto, I'm an 11 (I can squeeze into 10s if they are worth the pain)....I have tons of trouble finding shoes. I have no idea how you do it with a size 13!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • baylorlindabaylorlinda member
    edited March 2014

If you have a SCS do they break your water once they cut you or through your vag? My first was ECS so I had already been in active labor and water broke that way.

They will break it during the C section through the incision on your uterus.
  • spano41 said:

MrsZ0811 said:
    Ditto, I'm an 11 (I can squeeze into 10s if they are worth the pain)....I have tons of trouble finding shoes. I have no idea how you do it with a size 13!
    To be fair I actually wear a 10.5 and would like to bitchslap whoever had the wisdom to decide that feet only grow by full sizes after a 9.5. I can't tell you the last time I actually got a pair of shoes that fit perfectly.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • spano41 said:

MrsZ0811 said:
    99% of my shoes are mens. And I have managed to find a couple of brands that run big and have larger sizes, but its very limited and most of them I buy online. And I try my darndest to keep y shoes nice so that they last longer. Mens tennis shoes are the easiest to find, but they often look very "manly". curses of being tall...
    Together Since 9/14/2008 
    Married since 08/19/2011 
    Audrey born 5/9/2014 

Me DH
    image image

• Are the Aden by Aden + Anais swaddling blankets REALLY that much worse than the normal ones? I would suck it up and just get the "real" ones that everyone claims are oh-so-soft, but I really like the pattern on the 'scratchy' muslin ones I registered for. Is it possible that my baby is going to be itchy and uncomfortable if I get the cheaper muslin ones? And also, what's better, the muslin or bamboo?

ETA: tagging @AcaAwkward because I know you've talked about A+A a lot.

Honestly I've never used the Aden ones so I can't speak to whether they are super itchy! I've read ladies on here who say they get softer in the wash so maybe just wash them a bunch???

The bamboo are SO SOFT, but I found the muslin is better for swaddling (it grips better). We have 3 bamboos that I always used for nursing covers, stroller blankets, car seat covers, etc.
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • @Heidiman‌ - that list seems waaaaaaaaay overzealous! Maybe if you're giving birth to a 10 year old, but I feel like a newborn needs very little on the list and then you just kind of add as needed.

For a newborn, we had:
    - baby Tylenol
    - rectal thermometer (you really want the rectal -- the pediatricians' office will always want a rectal reading if you call)
    - nail clippers
    - saline + nasal aspirator (we love the Nose Frida)
    - Vaseline for the thermometer

Now that she's two, we've added:
    - Motrin (you can use the baby variety beginning at 6 mo and the children's version at 1 year)
    - Children's Benadryl (ask your pediatrician about Benadryl before using -- the recommended age on the bottle is 6 but most pediatricians will allow use way before that)
    - Zarbees Natural Cough Syrup (approved for use over 1 year of age)
    - band aids and Neosporin
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"