April 2014 Moms

Stupid Questions Thread

Re: Stupid Questions Thread

• @ColleenSwerb‌ - what kind of crib mobile do you have?
  • snmetz7 said:

I have developed carpel tunnel in my hands during this pregnancy... will it go away or am I doomed forever

My OB assures me it goes away!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • For those whose labor started with contractions and not water breaking, how long did it take you to get to the point of going to the hospital? My OB says to come in when they are 5 min apart for more than an hour. I would assume this varies by person but I am wondering how long I might should expect it to take to get to that point.

I woke up with contractions at 6am. When to the OB's office at 2:30pm & got checked. I was dilated to a 4cm, so we walked over to L&D to get admitted.

Baby Boy #2 is on the way!

BabyFetus Ticker

• For those whose labor started with contractions and not water breaking, how long did it take you to get to the point of going to the hospital? My OB says to come in when they are 5 min apart for more than an hour. I would assume this varies by person but I am wondering how long I might should expect it to take to get to that point.
    With my first they started at 10 mins apart and lasted at that length for around 5-6 hours then they moved to every 5 mins but never got any closer together than every 3 mins.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
                                ~Missed MC at 8 weeks. D&C at 12 weeks on 4/17/13~ 
       Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I hope this hasn't been asked before. My husband and I live with his parents in a 2-bedroom house. Our room is upstairs. I've been getting anxious about having to make the trip up the stairs after delivery. It wouldn't be so bad if everything I needed was upstairs since I could possibly live upstairs until I felt good enough to take them (ugh, but even that sounds terrible), but we have to shower downstairs.

So my question is: since my body is used to taking the stairs regularly already, do you think it'll be okay to take them minimally afterwards? Or should I try to figure something out after delivery to where I don't have to take them? If so, how long do you think it'd have to be? I know everyone is different, and there are probably factors that'll play into it (possible c-section, episiotomy, etc.) that I won't know about until I deliver, but what has been your experience?
    February Siggy Challenge: Favorite TV couple ~ Jim & Pam <3

Edolie Mae ~ April 21, 2014 <3
  • MrsZ0811 said:

I had my final shower this weekend and have put most of the stuff away and am now looking at what i need to buy yet. Suggestions on how many receiving/swaddle blankets I need and how many burp cloths.

We used a+a muslin blankets for swaddling (and many other things) and we had 9. That was a good number. We had a ton of burp clothes -- maybe close to 20? That was plenty (too many) -- and we quickly figured out that the a+a burpy bibs and the plain ol' Gerber cloth diapers were our favorite for absorbency.
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • maelic said:

snmetz7 said:

I have developed carpel tunnel in my hands during this pregnancy... will it go away or am I doomed forever

My OB assures me it goes away!!
    Mine went away and I haven't had it this pregnancy.
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • thomas930thomas930 member
    edited March 2014
    SLSchuerg said:
    I hope this hasn't been asked before. My husband and I live with his parents in a 2-bedroom house. Our room is upstairs. I've been getting anxious about having to make the trip up the stairs after delivery. It wouldn't be so bad if everything I needed was upstairs since I could possibly live upstairs until I felt good enough to take them (ugh, but even that sounds terrible), but we have to shower downstairs. So my question is: since my body is used to taking the stairs regularly already, do you think it'll be okay to take them minimally afterwards? Or should I try to figure something out after delivery to where I don't have to take them? If so, how long do you think it'd have to be? I know everyone is different, and there are probably factors that'll play into it (possible c-section, episiotomy, etc.) that I won't know about until I deliver, but what has been your experience?
    I had no issues with stairs after. I had a forceps assisted delivery that resulted is lots of stitches and lots of pain but the stairs didn't make much of a differe
  • No issues in my two story house with either delivery and DS was shoulder dystocia which left my pubic bone super sore for weeks after and two third degree tears (front and back).

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14
  • Okay... Thank you so much @amhah09 @ColleenSwerb and @thomas930! That's more than reassuring to hear. :) I'll be sure to just take it slow and easy and do what feels right.
    February Siggy Challenge: Favorite TV couple ~ Jim & Pam <3

Edolie Mae ~ April 21, 2014 <3
  • @dani+california‌ FTM here so I don't exactly have an answer but the same thing happened to me Sunday morning. DH got nervous and made me time them and they were about 5-6 minutes apart and the same feeling you described. Started as a pain in my back and then a period cramp type pain with my belly getting rock hard. They went away after an hour and from what I learned in a birthing class they were probably just normal pre-labor contractions. I haven't had any internal checks yet so I'm interested to see if I'm dilated at all from them.

• I asked my doctor the same thing and she said the real contractions should take your breath away. Like they will be able to tell over the phone when you are having an actual contraction. But never having done this before, I am still worried that I may not be able to tell the difference.

CafeMom Tickers

• @SLSchuerg‌ re: stairs- being carried up & down the stairs was DD's favorite thing when she was tiny, so I did A LOT of stairs from the get-go (I swear this helped me bounce back to pre-preg faster). She also had slight shoulder displaysia, was nearly 10lbs, and I was in labor for 36hrs, so I have to imagine her delivery was a little tougher on the body than average.

@dani+California re: how do you know- I didn't at first, probably took about 10 hours of contractions for me to 'know' without a doubt. I was suspecting it within 5 hour or so because it was painful & stopping me in my tracks on occasion, rather than just discomfort.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • We are using the basinet in the pack n play as baby's bedtime sleeping spot at first. Is it a bad idea to use a waterproof mattress pad UNDER the fitted sheet in the pack n play, that does not fit the mattress size exactly? It's smaller, not larger, so it may be a tiny bit uneven around the outside of the mattress.
  • amhah09 said:

No issues in my two story house with either delivery and DS was shoulder dystocia which left my pubic bone super sore for weeks after and two third degree tears (front and back).

Ummm I didn't know you could tear in the front. That sounds awesome.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Married 9/18/10
    TTC 1/1/12
    BFP #1 12/13/12 MMC Confirmed 1/30/13
    BFP #2 6/17/13, (Clomid+Ovidrel) CP Confirmed 6/26/13
    BFP #3 8/14/2013 (Letrozole+IUI) Charlie Grace born 5/2/2014

Laparoscopic surgery 8/15 to remove misplaced IUD

BFP #4, #5, #6  (Letrozole+IUI)all MMC, BFP #7 EDD 1/3/2017

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Eija3014 said:

We are using the basinet in the pack n play as baby's bedtime sleeping spot at first. Is it a bad idea to use a waterproof mattress pad UNDER the fitted sheet in the pack n play, that does not fit the mattress size exactly? It's smaller, not larger, so it may be a tiny bit uneven around the outside of the mattress.

We do this and never had a problem. As long as there isn't a large dip baby can get stuck in, I wouldn't worry about it.

April 2014 May Siggy Challenge: Funny Animals- Kangaroo Mating Ritual

• Popping on amazon for a hot second, this looks pretty similar to mine.
    Women's Breathable Elastic Postpartum Postnatal Support Girdle Belt... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BK1WMWM/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_G9hktb1WJN2PQ

Can you use that postpartum even without a c-section? I remember wishing I had something to hold all my guts in after birth and I had a vaginal delivery.
  • amhah09 said:

No issues in my two story house with either delivery and DS was shoulder dystocia which left my pubic bone super sore for weeks after and two third degree tears (front and back).

Ummm I didn't know you could tear in the front. That sounds awesome.
    Lol. I guess where he was shoulder dystocia? It was near my urethra. So major burning every time I peed for a couple weeks.

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14
  • Good to hear! I really don't want one of those signs but the cops are really crazy about the HOV thing here in DC. They set up traps all the time.

CafeMom Tickers

• nikki912 said:

My two year old has molluscum contagiosum. I you're unfamiliar it sounds a lot worse than it is and is more of a nuisance than anything else. I've got some tea tree oil and I've heard breastmilk will help as well. Any BtDT moms have success getting rid of it without painful treatments?

Can it be treated the same way warts are treated? If so and OTC things work there's a wonderful painless Wart Stick at Walgreens that cured my DDs plantar warts in just a few days. It's in a chapstick type tube. I used a toothpick to dab it exactly where I wanted it.

We've been using a tea tree oil therapy cream for two days now and it's noticeably better. It smells and was stupid expensive but it's working!

• J&NLJ&NL member
    Is there ever a point to where your water breaks but contractions don't start? I know I'm just freaking myself out but I really do not want to get induced and all these crazy scenarios are running through my mind. 
    photo ee249d6c-880a-4eb4-bc43-d6ab1f9fe662.jpg
  • J&NL said:
    Is there ever a point to where your water breaks but contractions don't start? I know I'm just freaking myself out but I really do not want to get induced and all these crazy scenarios are running through my mind. 
    It does happen. My friend's water broke and after 12 hours her contractions still didn't start so her midwife had to have to come in to start pit. 
  • ksulliksulli member
    edited March 2014
    @J&NL said:

It's possible, but contractions usually will begin not long after your water breaks. Usually water breaking is not the first sign of labor though, so you'll likely be well on your way with contractions.
    *Married 10.10.08*
  • J&NLJ&NL member
    Well shit fire. Let's just hope that doesn't happen to me :)
    photo ee249d6c-880a-4eb4-bc43-d6ab1f9fe662.jpg
  • J&NL said:

Well shit fire. Let's just hope that doesn't happen to me :)

Your odds are pretty good. Not worth getting worked up about
    *Married 10.10.08*
  • Yeah, while it happens try not to stress to much :)

and while I would like to never be induced again, it's not the end of the world especially if your body is already heading in the right direction. Usually it just needs a jump start. 

• Ok let's talk about PUPPS for a second. I know it has a rash associated with it but does it have to? For the past two days the skin under my belly button has not stopped itching. There's no rash but I can't figure it out. And I've been using lotion like crazy so it's not dry.
  • nikki912nikki912 member
    edited March 2014

Ok let's talk about PUPPS for a second. I know it has a rash associated with it but does it have to? For the past two days the skin under my belly button has not stopped itching. There's no rash but I can't figure it out. And I've been using lotion like crazy so it's not dry.

Stretching itch? Mine got really itchy around this time last time...a week later I had stretch marks :(

I think Pupps has to have the rash with it- but I'm not positive

• Ok let's talk about PUPPS for a second. I know it has a rash associated with it but does it have to? For the past two days the skin under my belly button has not stopped itching. There's no rash but I can't figure it out. And I've been using lotion like crazy so it's not dry.
    I'd mention unexplained (ie, no rash) crazy itching to your doctor, when I had my pre-e/HELLP scare they said to watch out for it as a potential sign of your liver being unhappy. 
  • Hmmm. Well thanks ladies. I'll mention it next time I go in. I hope it's not stretch marks! I've been lucky so far!

• Popping on amazon for a hot second, this looks pretty similar to mine. Women's Breathable Elastic Postpartum Postnatal Support Girdle Belt... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BK1WMWM/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_G9hktb1WJN2PQ
    Can you use that postpartum even without a c-section? I remember wishing I had something to hold all my guts in after birth and I had a vaginal delivery.
    @Sisimama10‌ and @poru - if you're interested, this is the abdominal binder my SIL swears by. She used it with her second son and it helped tremendously, compared to what she used with her first born. https://www.amazon.com/Gabrialla-Breathable-Elastic-Abdominal-Binder/dp/B000WFT3II/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1366128614&sr=8-2&keywords=gabriella+belly+band

I bought the Gabrialla Breathable Elastic Abdominal Binder for Women to use after my first.  I unexpectedly had a csection.  I think its' TERRIBLE for csections.  It's too rigid and pokey.  It KILLED my scar.  I would go with something softer like the belly bandit if you have a csection.

More expensive but lots of csection moms swear by it
    https://www.amazon.com/Nude-Original-Belly-Bandit-Medium/dp/B001LFP0EO/

• So, this might be a silly detail to consider, but I don't have a crib mobile. Is this a necessity? Or superfluous? I do have a travel sleep sheep.
    Mobiles are extra.  If you get one, consider a high contrast one (baby can only really see black, white, red, orange etc at first) instead of a cutesy pastel one.

My son loved this one
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q5KH3E

• What kind of charges could baby incur at the hospital after birth, assuming all is normal and well? I called insurance awhile back to try and figure out about how much DH and I would be responsible for paying after birth. We have to pay our deductible and then 15% coinsurance for me, but then they reminded me that as soon as he is born, baby is viewed as a separate patient so we would have to pay his deducible and then 15% coinsurance for him, too.

What kind of charges do babies rack up assuming that he doesn't need any special care or NICU time or anything?

Started dating February 6, 2012
    Married June 28, 2013
    BFP August 9, 2013
    Had our first baby, Samuel Robert, on April 17, 2014!

• hordol said:

What kind of charges could baby incur at the hospital after birth, assuming all is normal and well? I called insurance awhile back to try and figure out about how much DH and I would be responsible for paying after birth. We have to pay our deductible and then 15% coinsurance for me, but then they reminded me that as soon as he is born, baby is viewed as a separate patient so we would have to pay his deducible and then 15% coinsurance for him, too.

What kind of charges do babies rack up assuming that he doesn't need any special care or NICU time or anything?

You'll still pay his "room and board" and shots, exams, pedi visit, etc.

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"