April 2014 Moms

Stupid Questions Thread

Re: Stupid Questions Thread

• Do any of you have experience with a posterior baby? I was told LO was posterior or sunny side up at 31 weeks. Based on where I feel kicks I think he is still in the same position and that he turns on his side but I rarely feel like he is in the correct position. I forgot to ask at my last appointment and I just don't know if I should even be worried about this. I am 37 weeks now. I have been doing alot of reading online but would like a first hand account if anyone had dealt with this.

I had a sunny side up baby. I had extreme rectal pressure, caused by the back of her head pressing there. Everyone says you'll know when to push since you'll feel like you have to poop. This lead to pushing to soon and a c/s for distress. I wouldn't worry about it. Midwives have me spending as much time on my hands and knees as possible to avoid this. I am planing a HBAC and baby keeps going from ROA to OA and back. My goal this time is not to push at all, (yes I know how crazy it seems). We will be double and triple checking for a cervical lip again this time before we even think of pushing. I will not fail my HBAC.
  • Loading the player...
  • @J&NL re: EBF & pumping- I pumped about an hour after DD's first nursing session of daylight hours. Other than that I only pumped if we were apart at 'meal' time. Worked out perfectly because in the morning is be fuller than any other time of day, and after an hour they'd refilled a bit, but there was still enough time before she was hungry again.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • Heidiman said:

Am I being unreasonable..... My mil has taken a second hand infant car seat from a woman she knows from the gym. I asked her to check the expiration date and she got huffy like I'm being unreasonable that she might not be able to use it. I showed her an article about car seats, expiration dates, and why its not always recommended you borrow or get a used one. Now, she buys her clothes, purses, shoes, etc...from neiman Marcus and saks so she has no problem spending money. If this car seat doesn't meet proper requirements I don't feel like she should be upset she can't use her free car seat. I have told her that if she needs to have the baby in her car all she needs is a base for $75. Or if she wants her own seat she can get one for $150. Right? Am I being overprotective?

No, not being over protective. Just cautious, which is what you should be. What might be a better solution is just getting a convertible car seat from Target or Walmart. You can get a basic one for $30-$40, much cheaper than buying a base. And it can get much more use out of it than a carrier. All car seats sold in stores have to pass the same safety tests and standards whether you fork out $200 or only $30.

image  mean_girls_35345

DD1- 2009, M/C- 2011, M/C- 2012, DD2- 2012, DD3- 2014

• Heidiman said:

Am I being unreasonable..... My mil has taken a second hand infant car seat from a woman she knows from the gym. I asked her to check the expiration date and she got huffy like I'm being unreasonable that she might not be able to use it. I showed her an article about car seats, expiration dates, and why its not always recommended you borrow or get a used one. Now, she buys her clothes, purses, shoes, etc...from neiman Marcus and saks so she has no problem spending money. If this car seat doesn't meet proper requirements I don't feel like she should be upset she can't use her free car seat. I have told her that if she needs to have the baby in her car all she needs is a base for $75. Or if she wants her own seat she can get one for $150. Right? Am I being overprotective?

She doesn't really even need a base. Infant seats can be strapped in with the seatbelt only. But I agree with you about the used carseat.
  • purespark said:

Is a tummy time mat necessary? I keep seeing used ones for sale, and they're cute, but is there a reason we couldn't just use a quilt?

No reason at all you can't just use a blanket on the floor. I didn't have one with DS, so I might not understand how it's useful. If I was given one I'm sure if use it for this baby.
  • Thank you ALL for backing me up about the car seat!! Great idea about the convertible car seat. I will suggest that to her and just stand my ground that if she doesn't want to take my suggestions that the rare occasion she will be driving my kid around she can use my car seat.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• zoopsiedaisyzoopsiedaisy member
    edited March 2014

Maybe I'm a hard ass, but she wouldn't be driving my LO anywhere. Period.
    If she doesn't think something like an EXPIRATION DATE is important, I would have zero faith that she would even attempt to properly install an infant seat or any other seat.

You're right! I was laughing to myself that she's gonna be really pissed when I make her get her seat installation checked before I let her go anywhere with her. Although I don't really know where she would have to take her. All she does is shop, get her hair and nails done and zumba so leaving the house is never a necessity for her, especially with my child. She's going to be quite the nightmare "Gigi" because she doesn't want to be called a version of grandmother, but of her own name and thinks my LO will come up with Gigi. I told her she will not be taught to call her by her first name. That's ridiculous! Its all because she cannot age gracefully. At 60 you would think being called grandma for the first time would be an honor but for her its a tragedy. Sorry for venting all over this!! I could go on for days!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• kcp913 said:
    If anyone knows:  Does your body automatically change the consistency, etc. of your breastmilk if you end up EP?  Or is that why you should try to nurse at least once a day, so your body is aware that it needs to change the makeup of the milk you're producing to meet LO's needs?
    I EP for 10 months last time and gave up BF completing after Week 4.  The consistency and fattiness of my milk changed right along what you could expect.  I don't think it has as much with them BF as the babies affecting our hormones by how often you pump/nurse and just smelling them.  Also at the beginning just a crying baby will give you a let down.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Girl: 2014/4/25  K: Born 2012/02/20
    BFP 12/31/2010; missed m/c @ 6w1d, medical m/c(Misoprostol)@ 13w2d.    My Blog

• So, this might be a silly detail to consider, but I don't have a crib mobile. Is this a necessity? Or superfluous? I do have a travel sleep sheep.
  • zoopsiedaisyzoopsiedaisy member
    edited March 2014

So, this might be a silly detail to consider, but I don't have a crib mobile. Is this a necessity? Or superfluous? I do have a travel sleep sheep.

FTM here but my husband had to have a mobile and that stupid thing just makes changing the bed a giant pain in the ass!!! I hate it already and I haven't had to fight it but once. I don't think they are necessary. If it was hung high enough from the ceiling to be out of the way then maybe, but a traditional one that clips to the bed.....nope! I plan on removing it shortly after she arrives.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• So, this might be a silly detail to consider, but I don't have a crib mobile. Is this a necessity? Or superfluous? I do have a travel sleep sheep.
    You don't need a crib mobile, but a lot of studies show that babies really like to look at brightly colored things in the first few months which can keep them occupied when they're awake in their cribs if you need to do something quickly.  I don't know if the sleep sheep projects stars on the ceiling like the turtle thing does, but that could work too.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I'm so happy we have this trend, I fear getting flamed for what I'm about to ask.. lol! I guess this question is directed towards STM.. When your water breaks, are you able to stop the flow if you do kegels? Like the way you can stop a pee stream? I always hear stories how women think they've wet their pants but if you're awake when it happens and you're leaking isn't more obvious that's its more so your water than urine? Just curious..

• ksulliksulli member
    edited March 2014
    Nijay714 said:

When your water breaks, are you able to stop the flow if you do kegels? Like the way you can stop a pee stream? I always hear stories how women think they've wet their pants but if you're awake when it happens and you're leaking isn't more obvious that's its more so your water than urine? Just curious..

I love this question. Don't know because my OB broke my water and I didnt try to stop it. I wouldn't imagine you can't completely, however, when you stand, baby's head sorta plugs the flow & you should only trickle.
    *Married 10.10.08*
  • ksulli said:

When your water breaks, are you able to stop the flow if you do kegels? Like the way you can stop a pee stream? I always hear stories how women think they've wet their pants but if you're awake when it happens and you're leaking isn't more obvious that's its more so your water than urine? Just curious..

I love this question. Don't know because my OB broke my water and I didnt try to stop it. I wouldn't imagine you can't completely, however, when you stand, baby's head sorta plugs the flow & you should only trickle.
    My doc broke mine too with my first and I was drugged up so I didn't feel anything that was going on down there! Lol.. I'm just so curious of the feeling and hoping for a huge gush to happen this time just so I can experience the feeling..
  • thomas930 said:

Nijay714 said:

I'm so happy we have this trend, I fear getting flamed for what I'm about to ask.. lol! I guess this question is directed towards STM.. When your water breaks, are you able to stop the flow if you do kegels? Like the way you can stop a pee stream? I always hear stories how women think they've wet their pants but if you're awake when it happens and you're leaking isn't more obvious that's its more so your water than urine? Just curious..

No, I don't think you can stop the flow. Think of it like when you are on your period and the blood just flows...doing kegels (at least for me) makes it come out faster. 

This for me too. That's kind of how I knew it was water with DS. When I sat on the commode and did kegels it just gushed faster.

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14
  • nikki912nikki912 member
    edited March 2014
    My two year old has molluscum contagiosum. I you're unfamiliar it sounds a lot worse than it is and is more of a nuisance than anything else. I've got some tea tree oil and I've heard breastmilk will help as well. Any BtDT moms have success getting rid of it without painful treatments?

April 2014 May Siggy Challenge: Funny Animals- Kangaroo Mating Ritual

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• nikki912 said:
    My two year old has molluscum contagiosum. I you're unfamiliar it sounds a lot worse than it is and is more of a nuisance than anything else. I've got some tea tree oil and I've heard breastmilk will help as well. Any BtDT moms have success getting rid of it without painful treatments?
    Ugh I've had that before, so annoying. I've only had mine burned off with acid and I know a friend had them frozen off. I am curious what else works!
    Why do my boobs look so good?image
    Then I peed on a stick...image
  • @sking72‌ yeah the doc recommended not doing anything like burning or freezing since they will go away on their own eventually (could take up to 2 years!) and those treatments are so painful for kids. It's only under one arm and recently spread to his abdomen where the arm touches. If it goes up to his face or starts really bothering him we may have to look into the painful treatments :(

• nikki912 said:
    @sking72‌ yeah the doc recommended not doing anything like burning or freezing since they will go away on their own eventually (could take up to 2 years!) and those treatments are so painful for kids. It's only under one arm and recently spread to his abdomen where the arm touches. If it goes up to his face or starts really bothering him we may have to look into the painful treatments :(
    Yeah I had one on my arm that didn't get burned off, it was there for a while. Watch for infections (that's what happened to mine) and those are pretty painful!
    Why do my boobs look so good?image
    Then I peed on a stick...image
  • Nijay714 said:

I'm so happy we have this trend, I fear getting flamed for what I'm about to ask.. lol! I guess this question is directed towards STM.. When your water breaks, are you able to stop the flow if you do kegels? Like the way you can stop a pee stream? I always hear stories how women think they've wet their pants but if you're awake when it happens and you're leaking isn't more obvious that's its more so your water than urine? Just curious..

No.  You can't stop it.  If you're up and walking about though, it usually stops or slows to a trickle because baby's head settles into the birth canal and plugs it.  That's why many women will mention getting a gush when they stood up or when it first happened.  Only about 10-15% of women have their water break spontaneously before labour starts though.  Most of the time it breaks during active labour or your care provider breaks it for you.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Re: mobile. We never had one, and it was never an issue. I know babies like looking at them, but I also felt it was one more thing you have to wean them off of eventually (bc they become a hazard once they can sit and reach them).
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • @sking72‌ thanks- ill definitely watch for infections!

• kcp913 said:

Is bloody show like the beginnings of a period?  Or is it just small clots?  I'm too afraid to google and see the images, lol. And that's generally soemthing that starts once your water breaks, or is it like everything else in pregnancy/labor that there's not necessarily a logical order to when it would come?

It's disgusting. It looks like snot, tinged with blood. I don't remember losing it with my older two, just my youngest and it came out just before my contractions really started picking up in intensity and duration.
  • Sisimama10Sisimama10 member
    edited March 2014
    Never used a crib mobile. Seems like an extra to me.
  • Nijay714 said:

A lot of people talk about a gush but for me it was the first sign of labour and such a slow leak that I really did think I had peed myself at first. There was no stopping it, though. It leaked out very slowly over several hours, and I wished I did eventually have a big gush to just get it out and over with.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • kcp913 said:

Is bloody show like the beginnings of a period?  Or is it just small clots?  I'm too afraid to google and see the images, lol. And that's generally soemthing that starts once your water breaks, or is it like everything else in pregnancy/labor that there's not necessarily a logical order to when it would come?

For me it started right around the same time my first contractions started and was light spotting mixed with discharge. It progressed to more bleeding like as I dilated more.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
                                ~Missed MC at 8 weeks. D&C at 12 weeks on 4/17/13~ 
       Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • hordolhordol member
    edited March 2014
    thomas930 said:

kcp913 said:

For me it started right around the same time my first contractions started and was light spotting mixed with discharge. It progressed to more bleeding like as I dilated more.

I didn't even know this happened...heh. I knew about losing your mucus plug but I didn't know you would continue to bleed. When you are laboring at home, do you put on a pad that you wear up until you start pushing or do I just not worry about it?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Started dating February 6, 2012
    Married June 28, 2013
    BFP August 9, 2013
    Had our first baby, Samuel Robert, on April 17, 2014!

• hordol said:

thomas930 said:

kcp913 said:

I didn't even know this happened...heh. I knew about losing your mucus plug but I didn't know you would continue to bleed. When you are laboring at home, do you put on a pad that you wear up until you start pushing or do I just not worry about it?

At home I used a light pad. Once I got to the hospital I was in a gown with no undies, they have you sitting on chucks (disposable absorbing pads for beds) so it really wasn't much of an issue. By then I didn't care anyway and I'm not sure if it's the same for everyone either.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
                                ~Missed MC at 8 weeks. D&C at 12 weeks on 4/17/13~ 
       Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • So last week around Wednesday morning, I felt a sharp quick pain, in my vagina. It came and went for about two hours. Then, last night around 9pm, I started feeling the same thing again. Is this what people describe as "lightning" pain? Pretty interesting feeling to say the least...

:-?

imagePregnancy Ticker

• I had my final shower this weekend and have put most of the stuff away and am now looking at what i need to buy yet. Suggestions on how many receiving/swaddle blankets I need and how many burp cloths.
    Together Since 9/14/2008 
    Married since 08/19/2011 
    Audrey born 5/9/2014 

A14 August Siggy Challange: This time Last Year

Me DH
    image image

• I have developed carpel tunnel in my hands during this pregnancy... will it go away or am I doomed forever
    June Siggy Challenge

imageMy little Princess
    BFP#2 7/28/13 EDD 4/9/14 Birthday : 4/10/14 Adalyn Nanette :)
    BFP#1 6/29/12 LTMC 10/20/12 (20 weeks) induced delivery 10/22/12
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I never saw my bloody show with either of my two previous deliveries.

I never used a crib mobile either.

For those whose labor started with contractions and not water breaking, how long did it take you to get to the point of going to the hospital? My OB says to come in when they are 5 min apart for more than an hour. I would assume this varies by person but I am wondering how long I might should expect it to take to get to that point.

And this can vary from person to person. I started with contractions 8 mins apart for a few hours with DS and then my water broke. With DD I was induced so this one I've been wondering the same thing.

If I went in when contractions were 5 mins apart for an hour then I would've gone in Friday and Saturday night. Last night I didn't even bother timing them but I'm sure they would've been 5 mins apart. Obviously if you aren't sure then go - or at least call.

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14
  • @Jessieann1020‌ I woke up at 7am with inconsistent contractions, went to the hospital around midnight. She was born at 4pm.
    *Married 10.10.08*
  • nikki912nikki912 member
    edited March 2014

For those whose labor started with contractions and not water breaking, how long did it take you to get to the point of going to the hospital? My OB says to come in when they are 5 min apart for more than an hour. I would assume this varies by person but I am wondering how long I might should expect it to take to get to that point.

Contractions started becoming uncomfortable enough for me not to sleep through them around 5am Monday morning. (They had started sunday night but they weren't that uncomfortable and very irregular) We headed to the BC around 6:30pm (contractions were only 6-7 minutes apart but I was feeling really emotional and they were worried I was already in transition-wrong! - got there I was only 4cm.) Walked around for an hour, I dilated to a five. Got into the tub about two hours after we checked in and had my son at 7:16 am Tuesday morning.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"