December 2013 Moms
Options

For those who celebrate Christmas

2»

Re: For those who celebrate Christmas

• Options
    We will do Santa in our home Some of my fondest memories growing up were about Christmas Eve/morning. I can vividly remember the excitement I felt. I had to make the homemade chocolate chip cookies w my mom to put out for Santa. Had to leave some carrots for the reindeer. For several years my brother and I tried to create Santa traps- that were always an epic fail. When I found out Santa was not real at age 10 ( I wanted to be a believer forever) I cried but got over it. Still to this day Christmas is my favorite time of year.

My husband on the other hand grew up in a different religion and did not celebrate any holidays. He always new Santa wasn't real and thought he was smarter then everyone else in class bc he new something the other children did not. I asked him if he ever felt jipped (not just about the presents but about the magic of it all). He said "no bc even though they didn't celebrate holidays and get the gifts they did get things all year round. He never felt left out." He also never missed the magic bc he never had it to begin with.

I think Santa is a personal choice. And kids will be fine wether the believe or don't. It's a family choice what they want their traditions to be.
  • Options
    We tell the children thathe is not real, but it is a fun story like any fairy tale.  We still watch moviesabout him and buy Santa shaped chocolates like other families.  We don't go sit on his lap and tell our wants though.  I tell them that some families want to pretend he is real and not to spoil it for them.  My six year old said," Oh, so they arejust deceiving themselves.". I told her we should tell them that either.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My sister, brother & I all believed in Santa. I figured out he wasn't real when we were playing hide-n-seek in the house one day. I went to go hide in my mom's closet, and I sat on some pillows that were covering up a plastic bag with gifts inside (Donkey Kong Country for SNES!) When I opened a gift from Santa on Xmas morning and it was the same video game, I figured it out.

Moral of my story: If Santa is real in your house, hide yo' gifts better!
    Daisypath - (d3qY)
    Lilypie - (ATx7)

• Options
    We believe in Santa and when my 6 yo asks if he is real we start by asking what she thinks and let her drive the conversation. This year she wisely said 'he is real if you believe he is real and I believe' So for now we are good. She knows it isn't something everyone believes in, her best friend is Jewish and does not, and this has been OK with her so far.

We also do go to church on Christmas eve and make sure she knows the religious roots of the holiday.

I hope we can keep the magic alive for a while longer and that she we play along fire get little sister when the time comes.

~*~*~You're Such A Pretty Melody, I'm Just Another Tattooed Tragedy~*~*~
    FKA: Mireland23  image
  • Options
    I think it's important for kids to have a little magic :) my brother was told in primary school Santa wasn't real by the teacher discussing myths. Mum is still furious about it 45yrs later and I would be too. It's a little bit of childhood I remember as being really special and I want the same for my little guy.
  • Options
    I know they're just children, but I don't know how I feel about lying to LO. I want him to be curious and ask questions and I want to be able to give him real answers other than "it's magic". (I feel this way about everything, not just Santa)
    That being said, we are currently planning on going through all the normal traditions and then just telling him the truth as soon as he starts asking questions.

• Options
    Santa is real in our house, and this past Xmas was the first time he was used as a disciplinary tool for DD1 ("Santa is watching you! Better be good if you want him to come and leave presents!") Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. ;) At any rate, there's just something nostalgic and slightly magical about perpetuating the Santa myth...I'm going to go with it as long as my girls will let me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"