April 2014 Moms

Longest Thread EVER! (aka Random Thoughts Thread )

Re: Longest Thread EVER! (aka Random Thoughts Thread )

• The problem is if I hadn't done it, it would not have been done :(. I wish I hadn't done it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @mracrcali you look adorable!

@ashleypixie I know people like that. They're always posting some drama about how they don't have any friends and blah blah, when they clearly do. They're just fishing for attention.

@pineconey :( I'm sorry. I'll bake you a cake and send it to you!
    photo ee249d6c-880a-4eb4-bc43-d6ab1f9fe662.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • These past couple of weeks have been more or less rough in our household. Not necessarily rough as in we are arguing or anything, it just feels like there is some distance between DH and I. It's making me really sad. I'm hoping it's just because we can't really do the fun things we did before I got pregnant and our day to day lives are pretty stale at the moment. Any ideas on how to spice things up? Mind you, my libido is basically nonexistent so while I know he would totally enjoy a beer and a beej, the thought of it makes me cringe.
    photo ee249d6c-880a-4eb4-bc43-d6ab1f9fe662.jpg
  • aviola329 said:

Ugh got frustrated as hell trying to follow a tutorial video to make a beanie for Tommy. I got dangerously close to throwing the computer across the room in tears.

Anyone else have a suggestion for newborn beanies for dummies? Seriously the only thing I know how to do well is single crochets in a straight line and all the tutorials are double stitches or other cutesy things, and nothing I do comes close.

Help?

ETA tag @WifeofaComposer? Anyone else?
    Can you follow a pattern instead of a video? And you can make a simple beanie hat for a baby using just single crochet stitches, just until you get the hang of working in the round. Big thing - do you have stitch markers? They are an absolute necessity when working in the round, as it allows you to keep track of where each row starts/ends, so you can be certain you have the correct number of stitches in each round when you increase/decrease. Maybe you and I should have a live chat session/lesson, or chat on the phone sometime. I'm happy to teach you!
    Anniversary
    RTT badgeDSCN1111  Isla
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • J&NL said:
    These past couple of weeks have been more or less rough in our household. Not necessarily rough as in we are arguing or anything, it just feels like there is some distance between DH and I. It's making me really sad. I'm hoping it's just because we can't really do the fun things we did before I got pregnant and our day to day lives are pretty stale at the moment. Any ideas on how to spice things up? Mind you, my libido is basically nonexistent so while I know he would totally enjoy a beer and a beej, the thought of it makes me cringe.
    ((hugs))
    we all have our phases where we feel distant.  plan a fun night out or a night in doing something you both love.  or, watch a movie that has some sort of significance for you?

BFP #1 May 20, 2013   
    MC June 27, 2013   BFP #2 August 2, 2013   Baby Boy born 4/25/14 (3 weeks overdue!)
    April 14 August Siggy Challenge- "This time last year.."
  • I've been using safety pins as stitch markers on my blanket, but I'm where you are and about ready to start trying rounds to make a hat.  Intimidating!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @mrscrcalli Ow ow owwwwwwww!!!! Hot mama! Work it, girl!
    2014-08-24 15.36.57-2  2014-08-23 17.20.12
    2014-08-24 15.22.00  2014-08-20 12.19.26

Fell in Love: January 2003 
    Married: May 2006
    Baby Girl Born: April 2014
    If you ask me what I came to do in this world, I, an artist, I will answer you: 
    I am here to live out loud!
  • J&NL said:

These past couple of weeks have been more or less rough in our household. Not necessarily rough as in we are arguing or anything, it just feels like there is some distance between DH and I. It's making me really sad. I'm hoping it's just because we can't really do the fun things we did before I got pregnant and our day to day lives are pretty stale at the moment. Any ideas on how to spice things up? Mind you, my libido is basically nonexistent so while I know he would totally enjoy a beer and a beej, the thought of it makes me cringe.

It was like that a few months ago. I've basically had no sex drive this whole pregnancy so spicing things up in that department wasn't really an option.
    DH and I are doing a lot better now. Some things that helped...We started watching a couple of series that we really got into (True Detective and House of Cards). We've gone out and done a bit more. Like going out to new restaurants and seeing some oscar-nominated movies that are back playing for a bit. We also have been to a few museums and explored some of the city. It seems like just having new stuff to talk about that didn't just involve baby or work, helped things out. I'm sorry you're going through a stale moment. But know that it's temporary :)
  • J&NL said:

We're going through the same thing here. I think most couples feel closer when there is a good amount of freaky happening, and considerable distance when it's not. We have the same kind of dry spell going on because sex just HURTS. I think I'm resentful because he doesn't understand that and he's resentful because he's not getting any. And I feel like he's not attracted to me at all, it causes a lot of tension. I find the next best thing to create intimacy is laughter. Try doing things you have a lot of fun doing together, seeing a funny movie, going to a comedy club. Comedy is therapy for me, I mean it. I hope things get better soon for you, soon. The tension takes away from the excitement of the baby coming. Taking the hospital tour this morning put things into perspective for both of us because we remembered what this was all happening for.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • @aviola329 There's nothing to the beanies! As long as you can keep count in your head, you're fine. I had to count my stitches a lot when I started but now it's nothing and I can whip hats out in like an hour without counting. The hardest part is ending each round but that comes with practice. Double crochet stitches are pretty easy and is one of the most basic stitches you'll use in any project.
  • I have such a hard time with birthdays. DD is going to be 3 on Wednesday. I can't believe how quickly time flies :/
  • aviola329 said:

aviola329 said:

Ugh got frustrated as hell trying to follow a tutorial video to make a beanie for Tommy. I got dangerously close to throwing the computer across the room in tears.

Anyone else have a suggestion for newborn beanies for dummies? Seriously the only thing I know how to do well is single crochets in a straight line and all the tutorials are double stitches or other cutesy things, and nothing I do comes close.

Help?

ETA tag @WifeofaComposer? Anyone else?
    Can you follow a pattern instead of a video? And you can make a simple beanie hat for a baby using just single crochet stitches, just until you get the hang of working in the round. Big thing - do you have stitch markers? They are an absolute necessity when working in the round, as it allows you to keep track of where each row starts/ends, so you can be certain you have the correct number of stitches in each round when you increase/decrease. Maybe you and I should have a live chat session/lesson, or chat on the phone sometime. I'm happy to teach you!

I honestly don't know....I learned to crochet by my mom showing me how to do single stitches and turn corners and that was it (hence my ability to make scarves and plain blankets only). I have no idea how to follow a pattern, especially with different types of stitches. Every one I've found has had extra cutesy stuff that confused the heck out of me. 

I don't have stitch markers...the first video I saw didn't use one and one did, I was hoping I could make do without. Any suggestions for something I could use instead? I may need a chat session LOL

Stitch markers are really cheap, but you can use something like a strand of yarn in a contrasting color, that you just lay across your first stitch in each round so that it weaves up the rows (but doesn't actually gey incorporated into the work)... Then just pull it out when you're done.

I learned how to crochet in a very similar fashion when I was 8, then after buying a beginner book in order to learn more stitches when I got older, learned that what I was taught was completely wrong, and I had to relearn in my own from the book! Haha

Do you have Skype or some other chat app? Let's set something up!
    Anniversary
    RTT badgeDSCN1111  Isla
  • edited February 2014
    Bluebird2318 said: @ImnAtari and @SoulTermination
    Love, love, love you people! I've brought it up to DH once before because I've heard that in the past: you end up paying out the butt for assembly and a name brand (which Alienware is especially terrible about I hear) rather than getting actual value for your money. I wish so badly that I could talk him into it! I know he has some knowledge of assembly because he replaces his own parts on occasion, but the last time I brought it up he said he just prefers the laziness of opening up a box and having it already assembled. :(  Still, I'll check out MMO-Champion and see if I can find a recent list like you're talking about @SoulTermination! Maybe I'll be able to wear him down over time! ;)

Ugh, Alienware, yeah. x.x Before they became one of the mainstream sort-of DIY computer rig companies, they were a lot more reasonable.  My DH and I ordered all of our new computer stuff from Newegg (mine was around $670-$700 a couple years ago, his around $850ish in the last 12 months) and then had one of his techy coworkers assist us with putting it together because, though we'd changed stuff like video cards, networking cards, and RAM, we weren't
    quite certain how to put an entire rig together ourselves.  We both play World of Warcraft together, and haven't had any issues with poor performance outside of a wireless networking USB adapter that we didn't realize was borked.  Replaced that and no lag, woo!  Granted, WoW's graphics in most cases aren't like any of the recent FPS PC games, so I know jack about performance requirements on those, lol.

In case you haven't found one of those posts on MMO-Champion, I can either direct you to one or link you to the most recent one I found when I looked earlier. <3

Edit for formatting going down the shitter... >.>

A14 Siggy Challenge (November): Favorite Fall Smell
  • Must. Stop. Eating!
    June Siggy Challenge

imageMy little Princess
    BFP#2 7/28/13 EDD 4/9/14 Birthday : 4/10/14 Adalyn Nanette :)
    BFP#1 6/29/12 LTMC 10/20/12 (20 weeks) induced delivery 10/22/12
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @colleenswerb I'm playing catch up from a couple pages back. I noticed you called 2.0 him. Is it a feeling you're having, or just natural since you already have a boy so him and he just come out when talking about 2.0?

BabyFetus Ticker

• @pineconey - YAYYYYYY for Mr. Piney! How exciting for you guys!!!!!!!
  • @fourthnlast - Many T&P's to your family.
  • FFSC: I've been spending wayyyyyy too much time on the CD b/s/t pages. I belong to like 15 different groups and it's getting a little out of control.
  • pineconey said:
    @avidkeo DH is always a part of the shower. Sometimes he holds the head, sometimes he shampoos my hair, sometimes he just happens to be in the shower with me. ETA: we have a pact that no one showers alone. Metaphorically speaking. :D
    Love it!
    Angel baby June 2013, DD born 22 April 2014, BFP 10 Sept 2015 - Due 22 May 2016
  • A little late to the party on this, but WOOOOOHOO @PINECONEY! WTG Mr Piney on the promotion! *highfive!!* that's awesome news, Piney. So happy for you guys!
    Anniversary
    RTT badgeDSCN1111  Isla
  • avidkeo said:
    I seriously can't shower with DH. We've been married for 10 years and have done it like 3 times. I like the water scald your skin hot and he likes it kind of luke warm. I'm also a very faster shower taker, so I'm all like "I'm trying to wash my hair, stop touching me!". 
    I, ah, think you need to re-read her post......

Edit: unless of course I need to re-read yours....
    Either way, I shower solo.
  • avidkeoavidkeo member
    edited February 2014

avidkeo said:

I seriously can't shower with DH. We've been married for 10 years and have done it like 3 times. I like the water scald your skin hot and he likes it kind of luke warm. I'm also a very faster shower taker, so I'm all like "I'm trying to wash my hair, stop touching me!". 

I, ah, think you need to re-read her post......

Edit: unless of course I need to re-read yours....

Either way, I shower solo.

I prefer to shower solo though don't very often ;) baths were always my preference. but since being pregnant its nicer to have DH hold the shower head since baths are too painful. Its the only way I enjoy it ATM.

@pineconey you are a bad influence....
    Angel baby June 2013, DD born 22 April 2014, BFP 10 Sept 2015 - Due 22 May 2016
  • They're some hot lookin Canadians !
    Wife to A; Mama to C (2009), N (2011), H (2014) & baby F due 09/16/16
  • GOLD! Go Canada!

That pic. The maple leaf bra slays me!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"