December 2013 Moms
Options

car opinions

edited January 2014 in December 2013 Moms
So since income tax time is coming up we have decided to buy a newer car. We currently have a 2002 kia spectra. I just want something that has good gas milage, space and is safe for DD. We will have this car for a long time and I know we want more kids in the future so I want something spacious....I was thinking honda or subaru. I can't decide on if we should just get a car with Super good gas milage or a car with tons of space and slightly lower gas milage. Opinions would be great Bc this is the first big purchase we are about to make and I want it to be a good one. Thank yall! :)
Eta...I REALLY hate auto correct :|

Re: car opinions

• Options
    Space and safety you won't regret it. Personally I think a Chevy is the way to go.
  • Options
    We were thinking the same thing I have a ford focus and it is really small. So I was thinking the hybrid SUVs. I'm not sure which one but it combines safety, space and gas efficient.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Definitely space.
  • Options
    That's the way I was leaning....Bc we will also be driving it back to TX for 7 months. Any cars yall recommend?? I have been REALLY wanting a subaru crosstrek. I guess it isn't to bad on gas 23 in city and 35 on highway. I really don't want to spend anything over $25,000 and be overwhelmed with payments. I know we won't be Bc we are good with $...but still.
  • Options
    Definitely space, especially if you plan on having more kids. I have a Ford Escape that is only a year old and I love it but it would not work well if we have more than one child. My brother has 2 kids and bought the Ford Edge and absolutely loves it. He says it has lots of space and gets decent gas mileage. I think our next car will be one of the Subaru SUVs because they are supposed to,last forever.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have a honda accord and love it. Only problem is the lack of space. Between the car seat, stroller, packed bags, dog, etc, a 3 hour car ride to visit my family is too much.

I would say get the car with more space. You get used to spending money on gas. You can't get used to lack of space
  • Options
    That is very true. I was actually looking at the 2014 honda accord and kind of wanted it...but I was like hmm that isn't much space and I don't want to be buying another car after this anytime soon. Decisions, decisions
  • Options
    Does anyone have a ford fusion ? My friend said that it is very spacious . He is like over 250 lbs and 6 ft 4 inches . I haven't test drove one yet but it is my first choice right now.
  • Options
    lp0lp0 member
    edited January 2014
    I'm currently leasing the Honda CRV but I'm not impressed. After putting a stroller in the back there isn't much room for anything else. Also the door opening in the back seat is narrow which makes it difficult for getting the infant car seat in and out and putting DS in his convertible seat. The engine is a bit weak as well. I'm glad my lease is up this year. Also you can't recline the front seats much without hitting the carseats behind you.

I really want the Nissan Murano. I test drove one and it was really nice. I'm hoping we can afford it this year. I also test drove the Kia Sorento and liked that too. My friend has the Chevy Equinox and it's really nice but feels a tad too big for me.
    "Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it the more it will elude you but if u turn your attention to other things it will come & sit softly on your shoulder."

BFP! 04/26/11 - DS born 12/28/11 - BFP #2! 04/02/13 - DD born 12/11/13 -
    My Ovulation Chart

imageimage

• Options
    MDLS2010 said:

That's the way I was leaning....Bc we will also be driving it back to TX for 7 months. Any cars yall recommend?? I have been REALLY wanting a subaru crosstrek. I guess it isn't to bad on gas 23 in city and 35 on highway. I really don't want to spend anything over $25,000 and be overwhelmed with payments. I know we won't be Bc we are good with $...but still.

That's pretty good on gas, actually I think it's probably better than my car right now. Make sure you test drive a few different styles. We were kind of in between the Flex and a Lincoln MKT, but once we drove the Lincoln we realized there was a beam that ends up right where you want to look when you're turning. I really didn't want to deal with that. Hope your search goes well!
    Yes we will be test driving in a couple of weeks when we get our tax $ back. I'm excited! I've never had a new car before :D thank you. I hope it is easier since I kind of know what I want...I've wanted the subaru for a couple of years. And FINALLY convinced my DH to let me get a new car. I really hate having to wake DD up at 2 -3am just to bring him to work when I need the car. Having 1 car is horrible
  • Options
    LP0198 said:

I'm currently leasing the Honda CRV but I'm not impressed. After putting a stroller in the back there isn't much room for anything else. Also the door opening in the back seat is narrow which makes it difficult for getting the infant car seat in and out and putting DS in his convertible seat. The engine is a bit weak as well. I'm glad my lease is up this year. Also you can't recline the front seats much without hitting the carseats behind you.

I really want the Nissan Murano. I test drove one and it was really nice. I'm hoping we can afford it this year. I also test drove the Kia Sorento and liked that too. My friend has the Chevy Equinox and it's really nice but feels a tad too big for me.

Thanks that is good to know Bc I was looking at the honda CRV. So many different choices!
  • Options
    We have a Honda Crv and a Subaru outback ( one of the older models so it's on the smaller size.) we love them both and we feel like they will last forever. They also both get pretty good gas mileage although the Subaru's is better. I average about 23 mpg in the Honda. They both have a good amount if space... Not a ton though. The stroller takes up a good amount of my trunk. I think you can get the lower end models for under 30,000. My brother has a Hyundai su that he loves. Good luck!
  • Options
    lp0lp0 member

LP0198 said:

Thanks that is good to know Bc I was looking at the honda CRV. So many different choices!
    My last lease was a Mitsubishi Outlander. I liked it better then the CRV but I think it's almost exact size as the CRV. Same for the Toyota Rav4.
    "Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it the more it will elude you but if u turn your attention to other things it will come & sit softly on your shoulder."

BFP! 04/26/11 - DS born 12/28/11 - BFP #2! 04/02/13 - DD born 12/11/13 -
    My Ovulation Chart

imageimage

• Options

Does anyone have a ford fusion ? My friend said that it is very spacious . He is like over 250 lbs and 6 ft 4 inches . I haven't test drove one yet but it is my first choice right now.

I have a Ford fusion and like it. It works well for just having one child. The back seat has plenty of room and the trunk has lots of room. It is a nice car, but for a bigger family or someone who might travel a lot an SUV or minivan probably is better.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    We have a Ford Escape and can fit only three of our kids at a time (yeah we need a bigger car). We fit a forward face car seat, a backless booster, and the infant seat across the back. My mil has a Ford Fusion and can fit the same across the back.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    pink flamingopink flamingo member
    edited January 2014
    Lemeisch -----Thanks I'll take all that into consideration . I just want something with awsome gas mileage. Right now I get 11 miles to the gallon and it sucks . I'm almost willing to have the lack of some space to a point to get better gas mileage . Luckily I don't have a car payment so that helps
  • Options
    Cashingn2 said:

What's your budget?

I read 25,000. I love my honda pilot but it was around $40,000.
  • Options
    DH bought me a Mazda CX-9 it holds 7 people. Gas mileage is about the same for most SUVs, all wheel drive and I can put my huge carriage in the back without problem because the rows fold down. I love it and if you get one used they aren't that expensive.
  • Options
    Ive seen a couple for $24,000. The subaru crosstrek was like $24,069. But yes I am willing to get a used car 2011 and above. I just want something newer...we have a lot of looking around to do
  • Options
    We bought a Dodge Journey over the summer and I've been really happy with it so far. It starts just below $20K. It has some great features and even a third row. Definitely worth looking into.

• Options

myeverything1203. We had one at the time we did, and actually rented one for company for a week and LOVED it. We each have a Jeep, and my husband has the SRT version which is essentially like a race car yet he loves the stupid van. You can get one from CarMax for under 20k, and I know the general area you're stationed in, and know that there are about 4 around you. I swear, it doesn't hurt to look. Granted, I am 31, like Starbucks, am a SAHM, have 2 kids, and wear yoga pants, so I'm just looking to complete the stereotype:)

• Options
    If you do buy new, check out Hyundai. You said you plan on keeping it for a long time, and they have a 100,000 mile/10 year warranty. May save you some money in the long run. I love my Tuscon.

TTC since 2010

Missed M/C April 2011

dx with GTN July 2011; chemo July 2011 – Oct 2011

M/C Sept 2012

BFP April 2013

DD1 Born Dec 2013

BFP 8/8/2013; EDD ?????

• Options
    My dad works at a ford dealer. I have a fusion, it's good but it wouldn't be great for more than. I one child really, maybe 2 but my stroller takes up half the trunk, and kids have a lot of stuff. The Edge is a good size, and. Gas mileage friendly. The flex and explorer are great on size. All these have cost friendly options. They may not have the best of the best finishes on the cheaper options, but they are reliable and safe.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    The Chevy Malibu actually has a ton of room for a car. We have an impala and our car seat barely fits. Put her in a family members 2013 Malibu and there was a good 4 inches between the top and seat. They are also pretty good on gas. We are currently looking to trade for a Tahoe, the 06's and newer are pretty decent with fuel economy for an SUV. Just remember anything that is a flex fuel can take e85, but you loose mileage with that. I'd go hybrid SUV and spend the extra $. In the long run it will be worth it if you have more kids.
  • Options
    Kia Sorento or Nissan Pathfinder
  • Options
    Hands down. Space!
    imageimageimage

Sebastian: March 3, 2010

2nd Tri Angel Baby: November 2012

McKenna: December 2, 2013

• Options
    Space. If you have one kid, don't get anything that can't handle two. Let's say you are going on a car trip with two kids. If you have a sedan, with two car seats in the back seats, luggage in the trunk, where do you put the stroller??? Just some things to think about.

Although this is coming from someone that bought a suburban before I had kids lol.

"Dont fucking ever come out your face talking shit like that" -SG 1/12/2014

• Options
    We have a 2010 Toyota RAV4 and I love it. We bought it used this summer. We only buy used because new cars depreciate the second you drive off the lot. If you're willing to buy used you can get a lot more for your money. Like, a LOT. Criteria for us was enough space for at least 2 kids (plus gear), space for our 75lb Lab, and decent gas mileage. Some others we looked at (but couldn't find the right one with good price/low mileage/year at our price point) were Ford Explorer and Honda Pilot.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @cashingn2 what is gap policy??? And noooo don't think that was including taxes. But I'm sure they have more options for used cars there that I didn't see online. Damn getting a new car is so hard. And Lmao @kaatbusse I actually thought about a van since I know we will have more kids in the future. I was contemplating it. Haha. Well I will have to test drive one and see how I like it! Who knows maybe I will like it more that I think I do.
  • Options
    Thank you girls for all the opinions it has really helped. We have a while to decide but it's always good to think ahead of time ;) yes @imrachellea I was thinking used! It is a lot cheaper. I don't care lol. It's new to me so good enough. I just want a 2010 or above
  • Options
    I loved my Rav4. Actually seemed to have more space than my 2012 explorer. I can't get both car seats in it comfortably.

Beckett Rilee & Caitlyn Leigh born 9-21-13 @ 27w due to PPROM

• Options

We have a 2007 fusion and we LOVE it!!! Super fun to drive (v6 model) with a good amount of space. (We have 2 kids in there no problem). Gets good mileage too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @cashingn2 thank you sooo much. I will definitely be doing some research for the nxt couple of weeks then. And oh my gosh that is crazy!! I will be sure not to do that Bc I have a pretty good credit score as of now I don't want to ruin it. They don't run your credit until you are deciding to buy a car right?? Or do they do it before test driving them. I have never been to a big dealership
  • Options
    We also have a 2011 Chevy Equinox. I think we paid $18k for it. It's a compact SUV and gets decent mileage. I love that the back seat slides to make more leg room or cargo area as needed. It also has tons of safety features - Bluetooth for hands free calling, on star, etc.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We bought a nissan cube back in august and although I wasnt a fan at 1st Ive come to really love it. It has way more "usable" space because of the boxy design. We test drove the rogue also and this won out. My favorite things about it are the fact that we can get the stoller in the hatch space vertically. Also the height is perfect so I dont have to lift up or bend ovet to put the seat in.
  • Options
    We just bought a 2014 Nissan Pathfinder and LOVE it. So much space and it rides like a car. However, they are a little pricey- a little more than we should have spent to be honest, but it's ours now!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 

Met 9/2001
    Engaged 3/15/2006
    Married 5/19/2007
    DD 12/12/13
    DS 6/6/2016

M/C 9/29/18 @ 6w
     BabyFruit Ticker
    Our little tie breaker due 8/1/19!  <3

• Options
    Also, if you have USAA you can use their car buying service. My current love is the Town and Country. Before little guy, I was looking at the Navigator but the fuel economy is pretty awful and won't get better until the 2015 models. Minivans are the way to go! Oh my goodness, did I just say that?

• Options
    I have a 2005 Chevy cobalt the gas mileage is great
    photo d23effce-d468-477e-941f-2e772f3afddb_zpsd1cd4bbb.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Okay thank you @cashingn2! Yes I actually talked to USAA today and we were discussing their car buying service which we will definitely be using! We have navy federal credit union so we will either finance through them since we have already got and paid off one car loan with them or one with USAA. I will have to compare APR and things like that. I still have to talk to USAA about the gap thing. Thank yall for all the help! >:D<
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"