May 2014 Moms
Options

UO

Re: UO

• Options
    kat8805kat8805 member
    edited January 2014
    Another thing is common farming practices. That shit can do just as much damage tot he soil itself as the chemicals do. Some catch on a bit and do rotational crops, others do no till, some just DGAF. I cringe when I see an empty field in the winter. I do respect, and appreciate farmers though, because of FFS my picture isnt's showing up.... it's the "3 times a day, every day, you need a farmer" thing.

imageimageimage

• Options
    kat8805kat8805 member
    edited January 2014
    I give up.

#-o
    imageimageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I too hate Will Ferrell. Add Steve Carrell and Ben Stiller to that list. But PP Robin Williams is the shit! 

I have 4 tattoos. My first, the day I turned 18, has no meaning it's just a white tiger. I actually don't like it anymore and forget which shoulder it's even on. But now I see it as a reminder of a better time when my sister was my best friend and not a complete d-bag (she paid for it as my bday gift). 

Hmmmm, I'll admit to watching too much television. I watched quite a bit growing up and honestly don't see a problem with it. But my mother also read and crocheted and did puzzles so I was exposed to all these and now do them myself. Everyone of my siblings loves to read just from watching our mom devour books. I almost always have the tv on for background noise. DD likes the commercials. I don't limit time now but will probably have to reevaluate this later if it becomes a behavioral issue. I have been putting it on the music channels lately since I only like it for the background noise and she loves music.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm having more fun planning my friend's baby shower than thinking about anything related to mine. 
  • Options

I too hate Will Ferrell. Add Steve Carrell and Ben Stiller to that list. But PP Robin Williams is the shit! 

I have 4 tattoos. My first, the day I turned 18, has no meaning it's just a white tiger. I actually don't like it anymore and forget which shoulder it's even on. But now I see it as a reminder of a better time when my sister was my best friend and not a complete d-bag (she paid for it as my bday gift). 

Hmmmm, I'll admit to watching too much television. I watched quite a bit growing up and honestly don't see a problem with it. But my mother also read and crocheted and did puzzles so I was exposed to all these and now do them myself. Everyone of my siblings loves to read just from watching our mom devour books. I almost always have the tv on for background noise. DD likes the commercials. I don't limit time now but will probably have to reevaluate this later if it becomes a behavioral issue. I have been putting it on the music channels lately since I only like it for the background noise and she loves music.
    Our tv is on from when we get up until I go to bed. DS hardly pays any attention to it. There's a few commercials he stops to watch but not many. It has been like this since he was born. DH is never home and I would go nuts without some sort of background noise that isn't an annoying toy or toddler music.

Anniversary 
    Congrats to my GP Sister from another mister Bruinsbabe!!

• Options
    Hate Will F.  The word Ute is weird.  Agreed on piercings and tattoos.  The parking spot thing isn't even on my radar....not like it is enforceable by law.  Prove I'm not pregnant....prove it.  lol.

My sister told me she parks in those spots all the time and the only bump she has is from a big lunch.  I do like the idea of a close spot for parents with little kids, considering how cold it gets here sometimes.  With my parking skills I usually go for the back of the lot, but it seems mean to do that when I'm running errands or going to play places with my son.
  • Options
    I'm monitoring a Public Utilities Commission meeting at work and the amount of people who are getting up & saying the most dramatic, stupid things about the smart meters in their homes is reedick.

They're all from Marin County (with the exception of one woman who was from Lafayette, which is like the Marin County of the East Bay Area). Marin County is practically ground zero for the anti-vax movement.

More junk science. Yay.
    We switched over to smart meters a couple of years ago. The nutbars came out here too, with their theories about how the hydro company can spy on us now and it's all just a way to send information back to the government, blah blah blah.

Of course, now we all use them and nothing has happened. How could it, really? The meters are smarter than the heads of our hydro companies. They'd never be able to pull off a conspiracy like that.

• Options

Hate Will F.  The word Ute is weird.  Agreed on piercings and tattoos.  The parking spot thing isn't even on my radar....not like it is enforceable by law.  Prove I'm not pregnant....prove it.  lol.

My sister told me she parks in those spots all the time and the only bump she has is from a big lunch.  I do like the idea of a close spot for parents with little kids, considering how cold it gets here sometimes.  With my parking skills I usually go for the back of the lot, but it seems mean to do that when I'm running errands or going to play places with my son.
    eh I wouldn't do it either dude, I was being silly. 
    Asher Benjamin and Lola Aisling

Infertility
    PCOS, Progesterone Deficiency Disorder, Multiple Miscarriage
    Clomid, Metformin, Ovadril, PIO, P17 Iron/Platlet Tranfusion

My Spring Babies! 
    <3 Angel Baby   Elisabeth Adelle  April 2008 <3
    Asher Benjamin  April 2010
    Lola Aisling  May 2014
  • Options

Our tv is on from when we get up until I go to bed. DS hardly pays any attention to it. There's a few commercials he stops to watch but not many. It has been like this since he was born. DH is never home and I would go nuts without some sort of background noise that isn't an annoying toy or toddler music.
    Same here with the tv.
  • Options
    Might be an UO, I don't know, but I cannot STAND crappy daytime TV. DH LOOOOVES Judge Judy, The People's Court, Jerry Springer, Maury, etc. We are both teachers, so our entire winter break consisted of this crap from 10-4. Every. Day. His "defense" is that they make him feel better about himself. And, he has the balls to tell me that my taste in TV is crappy! I will stick with my Travel Channel and Food Network, thankyouverymuch!
    October Siggy Challenge - Halloween

Happy Endings

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    IBackBevo said:
    Unfortunately, I am going to have to post and run, but wanted to lay out a few:

1. I am not a fan of the minivan. Maybe I will change my tune after I have 2U2, but as of right now I don't see myself buying one.

2. I don't think it is unreasonable to wait 20-30 minutes at a doctor's appointment...especially at an OB's office.  In fact, I usually anticipate (and plan for) waiting at least that long.  2 hours without even a word as to what is going on or an opportunity to reschedule - yes, that is completely unreasonable. But 20 minutes?  I usually wait longer than that for a table at a good restaurant on a Friday or Saturday night.

3.  I am bummed at how much the dynamic of this board has changed since the FB group.  I feel like save for about 10-15 posters, there has been a mass exodus.  
    I think you and I are twins today with the weight gain thought and this.  I agree with ALL of these!
  • Options
    Jane C said:

You can just change it by mail to ssa office. No need to walk in. Plus you will be there all day if you just walk in. There are instructions on www.ssa.gov

Wow I didn't know that. Thank God for you right now lol

It's a BOY

• Options
    kramja01 said:
    My thoughts so far:

I don't care for tattoos, either on men or women. Just NMS.

I can take or leave Will Ferrell. I can't stand Robin Williams, though. My DH thinks he is the funniest person on the planet and I can't disagree more.

Maybe expectant mothers spots are a regional thing? The only place I've ever seen them are down by my in-laws at Babies R Us. I haven't seen any at my local grocery stores or department stores...

My UO: I don't like it when couples decide on a baby name and then are all like "oh we know, we just aren't telling..." It comes off as annoying to me. I think it's totally fine to wait until after the child is born to announce his/her name, and I get not wanting people to comment about your selection or try to get you to change it. I just think it would be nicer if the parents responded with "we are still kicking a couple choices around" or something. I took the time to inquire about your growing family, and "we're not telling" kind of feels like a snub to me---I was just trying to be polite and interested, people!
    Totally agree!  DH and I have our name, but are not sharing it because we don't want everyone's opinions.  I give them the "We have some we like, but aren't sure" answer.
  • Options

@JKBMA2014 - I was there for about 10 minutes tops when I went in person. Then I got it all done in one day rather than waiting for mail. Also, I'm not too comfortable mailing personal documents need to make that change. So much easier and quicker, not to mention safer, to take the hour or so and do it all in person, I think.

If I ended up going in person I was going to make an appointment. When I went to get a new social security card I was in there for over an hour. It may have even been close to 2

It's a BOY

• Options
    I find all the autism posts annoying. Maybe I'm sensitive, but seriously....fear mongering that is all it is.  It is annoying and when someone posts something of the like it takes me a while to forget they did it and I can't help but want to skip over their threads.
    This was going to be mine as well!  And I completely agree...it's total fear mongering.

• Options

pandadair said:
    pandadair said:
    Kate070 said:
    I don't really have much, but since I started the thread, I ought to come up with something, hmm?

This would probably have been more appropriate about a month ago, but I actually prefer "Happy Holidays" to "Merry Christmas".  I heard so many people bitching about hearing people say "Happy Holidays" through December, and I just don't get it.  It's still a nice sentiment, wishing you well, it's just not so presumptuous.
    When people make it a point to tell me "Merry Christmas", I always respond with "Happy Hanukkah", even though I'm not Jewish.
    Even if it's the week before Christmas and Hanukkah has been over for almost a month?
    Shit, should I start using Kwanzaa? If they can tell me Merry Christmas on days that aren't Christmas, I figure I can respond in kind. Happy, filthy Pagan Winter Solstice?
    Joyous Yule? 
  • Options
    husker10 said:
    Ok, this is what I found out from DH for the GMO/sprying practices.

Right now, corn is the only plant that does not need sprayed with insecticides.  They engineered the actual corn plant to kill only specific bugs (root worm, corn borer - bugs that actually kill the plant).  These 'bad' bugs die when they eat any part of the corn plant. If, say a lady bug, eats a leaf of the corn, the lady bug will live. Also, a certain percentage of the total acres planted has to be "refuge".  The refuge corn does not kill any bugs, even the bad bugs.

Soybeans, wheat, sunflowers, etc. all get sprayed with insecticides. This is a mass kill of any bug that happens to be on the plant. H says companies are working on getting new varieties of these plants through EPA and USDA testing to eliminate the need for spray, but the testing protocols take 10+ years before they can even get open market approval. There's a formula as to how much herbicide/insecticide gets sprayed on a field.  Most farmers follow the guidelines because herbicides and insecticides are ridiculously expensive and over use creates resistance, but you get dumbasses who don't care.

At least in the U.S., the vegetable plants (he gave tomato and onions as an example) cannot be sprayed with anything, no herbicide or insecticide. They're all still manual labor to remove weeds.

For tillage practices - it depends on the area being farmed. Where I grew up, it was all no-till and rotational crops.  Where I'm at now, they have to till (they have probably 50-75% of the soil exposed depending on how it was tilled) because otherwise the "trash" (leaves, stalks) won't decompose because of the longer winters. A lot of the practices are dictated by USDA and EPA guidelines, but again, you get dumbasses who don't care.

ETA - I learned way more than I ever wanted to, ha!
    Yes.
    TTC Since July 2012
    BFP #1 11/07/12   M/C 12/11/12
    BFP #2 2/23/13    M/C 03/6/13
                       BFP #3 9/2/13  EDD 05/17/14                     
    Amy Elaine Born May 2!

• Options
    hfooter said:
    My UO

I don't understand why we need to say what we edited on our post every time we edit it. For the most part I don't unless I added a completely new sentence.

Otherwise I'd be posting that I suck at grammar and love to leave out words on each post I write. I was always more of a Science, Math and Art girl. English can suck it.
    I only mention an edit if I added something completely new to the post after the fact or if I read it back a while later and realize I made a really stupid mistake. I'm paranoid that people will see that the post was edited well after it was originally written (the time shows under your avatar) and think I'm up to something sketchy.
    It's kind of sad how often I've edited something immediately after posting it because I forgot a word or something like that.  I only indicate ETA if I actually am adding anything, instead of correcting for clarity.
  • Options
    aimee223 said:

Same at my house. I need the background noise. When I'm home, I'll put an episode of Sesame Street when LO first wakes up, and then I switch the news or cooking channel. He hardly pays any attention to it after that.
    I think my unpopular opinion today is that I can't stand having things on just for background noise.  A big part of it is that I'm not good at tuning things out. 

My in-laws have their tv on all the time, super loud, and it's their one flaw.  Thank goodness DH is ok with abandoning that habit in our house.  He loves Christmas music, so his Christmas playlist is my one big exception to the 'no extraneous sound' rule. 
  • Options
    aimee223 said:
    Same at my house. I need the background noise. When I'm home, I'll put an episode of Sesame Street when LO first wakes up, and then I switch the news or cooking channel. He hardly pays any attention to it after that.
    I know I'm going to need to reevaluate what I put on in the background. Right now it's SVU or something else that she shouldn't really be watching around the clock (or at all in some cases) as she gets old enough to comprehend. So today I did CMT. I'm not ready for kid shows though! I keep saying I'm going to order all the old shows I liked like the original Rugrats and stuff but haven't yet...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I don't like toilets that flush automatically. Either they flush prematurely, thus scaring the crap out of me, or the people before me were too lazy to make sure it actually flushed. Yuck.
    Protip:
    Professional Thread Killer
  • Options
    IBackBevoIBackBevo member
    edited January 2014
    Re the editing thing:  I really wish no one gave an ish about spelling and grammar on this website, but as soon as I don't correct something dumb that my phone auto-corrected without me even realizing it, I get flamed (not on this board, thankfully) and accused of making up that my DH has dyslexia.  So, I edit.  Honestly, though, I think it is immature to flame someone over their spelling or grammar on a message board where we are all posting for enjoyment purposes.  I secretly think these people have personality disorders or are control freaks. In my book, it is like flaming a friend who sends you a casual email or text with an error in it. Who the f cares?  Are you really so inconvenienced by having to spend a nanosecond longer reading a post?  The only reason, IMHO, to point out someone's poor grammar, punctuation or spelling errors is if it is to the point that you cannot comprehend their post.
    IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
  • Options
    sthomas1222sthomas1222 member
    edited January 2014

People were very naive about the importance of college education, ANY college education, when I went to college, but I really hope moving forward that more people stop and do a level headed cost-benefit analysis before signing up for college, especially if they can't do it without loans.
    Seriously.

And it terrifies me that children (yes, some are still only 17 when they are deciding where to go...) are signing on to a loan burden when they probably cannot even calculate what the payment on that loan will be, or what that means about the income they'll need when they graduate to be able to pay that loan back.  They're signing on to a loan they might not even understand all the while being told that college is totes worth it and they should follow their passion and study whatever they want.  Well it might not be worth it.  Then what?
    This, I knew I always wanted be a SAHM, but was guilted/goaded into going to college. I now have an RN that I never used and $300/month in private & consolidated loans. Thankfully DH makes good money and we can still afford for me to stay home but it sucks ass. I now also have to decide if I will ever use my license or not b/c it's time for renewal :(

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

aimee223 said:

I know I'm going to need to reevaluate what I put on in the background. Right now it's SVU or something else that she shouldn't really be watching around the clock (or at all in some cases) as she gets old enough to comprehend. So today I did CMT. I'm not ready for kid shows though! I keep saying I'm going to order all the old shows I liked like the original Rugrats and stuff but haven't yet...

I watch the news and at 12 switch to USA so it's always L&O or NCIS. I want to get boomerang but I have to go up a billion packages to get it.

Anniversary 
    Congrats to my GP Sister from another mister Bruinsbabe!!

• Options
    Jane C said:
    There also medical issues that a lay person will not know about by just looking at someone. & gaining weight & a physical disability are often interrelated. I help social security disability claimants with their hearings so I see people with severe disabilities all the time. I get upset. when people assume something about a person's disability by just looking at them. Pls don't think you can judge so quickly & assume something about a person by just looking at them.
    I agree with this...for the most part. My Dad only has one eye and has depth perception problems (and other cognitive disabilities) from being assaulted by a student.  He has had about 10 surgeries.  He has a wheelchair sticker, but looks just fine.  Yet his depth perception is off.  Everyone in that parking lot wants him parking in the extra wide space.  It is a public service, really.

The only thing I do give him a hard time about is having a wheelchair plate on his motorcycle.  I mean, seriously?  Maybe the wheelchair plate should give you a CLUE that you shouldn't be riding a motorcycle.  FYI, he has been in multiple accidents on it.

• Options
    I don't usually have UO's but my playgroup today brought this up. I really don't like how so moms take their kids to playgroup and spend the whole time on their phone/magazine/etc. This goes on every time at this playgroup I go to. It's a free drop in, twice a week. There's 2 ladies that run it, but they are in no way in charge of watching your children. I understand some people work from home, so yes they have to use their phones at some point, they can't just disconnect all together. But the women I see doing it are ones are just replying to craigs list ads, or Facebook. One women was reading a magazine, another doing a crossword. And one actually brought her kindle in to read. I do not want to watch your children, I'm there to play with my own. It really irritates me, considering the children of these particular moms generally do not play well with others. Very frustrating.

DS#1 - Apr 22, 2010
    DS#2 - Oct 26, 2012
    DS#3 - May 28, 2014

• Options

I hate Will Ferrell. He could be delightful IRL, but I can't stand his movies. Especially "Elf" and "Anchorman".

**runs to duck for cover**

Agreed!
  • Options
    I don't like toilets that flush automatically. Either they flush prematurely, thus scaring the crap out of me, or the people before me were too lazy to make sure it actually flushed. Yuck.
    Protip:
    Another protip:

They all have buttons. You tell that sumbitch when you want it to flush! This one looks like it's on top. Some are on the side and some are actually on the wall behind. But there is ALWAYS a button.
  • Options

I don't usually have UO's but my playgroup today brought this up. I really don't like how so moms take their kids to playgroup and spend the whole time on their phone/magazine/etc. This goes on every time at this playgroup I go to. It's a free drop in, twice a week. There's 2 ladies that run it, but they are in no way in charge of watching your children. I understand some people work from home, so yes they have to use their phones at some point, they can't just disconnect all together. But the women I see doing it are ones are just replying to craigs list ads, or Facebook. One women was reading a magazine, another doing a crossword. And one actually brought her kindle in to read. I do not want to watch your children, I'm there to play with my own. It really irritates me, considering the children of these particular moms generally do not play well with others. Very frustrating.

I totally second this. A lady at library day drops her kids in the circle, finds a seat and then is on her phone the whole time. Her kids are unruly and often disrupt the group and she never corrects them probably because she doesn't notice because she's on her phone!

imageimageimage

• Options

IBackBevo said:
    My other UO:  It annoys me that the "montessori school" I take my DS to didn't have a holiday party.  I get not doing a Christmas party, but seriously? We couldn't even have like a "Happy New Year" or "winter" party or some ish?

Instead, they had a "multi-cultural party" where the kids got to dress up like they were from their country of origin.  WTF was I supposed to dress DS up as? We aren't anything more than a mishmash.  I'm probably more German (I have a traditional German-Jewish last name) than anything, but I don't even know what traditional German attire looks like...the only thing I could think of are things that really wouldn't be appropriate. And my DH is a mish-mash of stuff including Cherokee, but it isn't like he has any real ties to that and I'm pretty sure dressing a pale, white kid up as an "native american" might be offensive, too.

Ugh. It just annoyed me. Just have a darn, generic holiday party. It just seemed like they went too far trying to be politically correct.

What about this?  ;)

That is cute.  I still don't know where I would get something like that, though.  All I could think of were the SS uniforms.  I ended up not doing anything...luckily, no one else in DS's class did either. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"