May 2014 Moms
Options

Will you swaddle?

I have been reading the pros and cons of swaddling, and now I think I'm going to skip it altogether because of all the warnings but I don't if I'm being overdramatic because it is technically considered safe. So I am curious, what are your thoughts on swaddling? Are you planning on swaddling, or have you in the past?

Thanks!

Re: Will you swaddle?

• Options
    No we won't be swaddling. Babies like to move.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Definitely! We swaddled with our first two babies (although my first liked his arms out) and will definitely do the same for this little one. It helped them settle down so much! Will use either the Halo sleep sacks with the swaddled or the Woombie.

Edit for wording.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Mommy to three beautiful boys! 
    Benjamin Michael 5/17/10
    Lucas Gabriel 3/26/12
    Graham Jonathan 5/1/14

• Options
    We plan to swaddle. We did it with DD and she loved it. She just slept all wrapped up like a burrito, wouldn't even move. But we only did it for about 1 month or so. Then she started to want to move her arms, and started to hate it.

• Options
    Absolutely we'll swaddle. I don't know how I'd ever be able to lay my baby down without waking her if she wasn't swaddled, plus keeping her asleep once she's down. Babies have the Moro reflex until 4-5 mo, where they flail their arms & wake up (basically freak out) when you lay them down, and swaddling prevents that. I swaddled DD until she rolled over in her swaddle. I forgot how many months she was, but it was a sad sad day.
  • Options
    I plan to swaddle. I read all the hype about the dangers, too, but it seems like everything is pointed toward hip dysplasia from the baby's legs being bound, thus immobile. All the swaddling blankets I've seen (and registered for) allow for plenty of leg room, so as to avoid such a horrible outcome. And even swaddling with just a regular blanket can be done safely. TBH, I think the "Swaddling is Murder" scare was just that..a scare. One of those things that scares us Mamas and Mamas-to-be to death, but is ultimately barely founded in reality.
  • Options
    It's in my plans but we'll see how this LO feels about it.
  • Options
    I didn't know there were warnings against swaddling, I always thought it was the other way around? We plan to swaddle. I feel like in addition to it being safer, they sleep better...which really is win-win for the whole family.

Mommy to my sweet boy, JG, born May 15, 2014

Baby #2 due 4/26/16!

• Options
    Yes, but in the first few months, their movements are all reflexive rather than deliberate. Some babies end up waking themselves out of sleep because of the constant movement. That is why swaddling can be helpful.

If my kid sleeps better when swaddled, you bet we'll be doing it! I have not read any warnings and honestly don't see why it would be bad if done correctly.
  • Options
    Resounding yes, if he's like his sister. If he doesn't like it, then we won't. Otherwise, A&A blankets for daytime when supervised, and either swaddle sacks or Woombie (LOVE) for naps alone and nighttime. 

imageimage image

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Swaddling (and the other 4 S's) we're miracles with my older son. I fully intend on swaddling this time around too.
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    DD didn't like her arms swaddled from day 1...we even swaddled arms out in the hospital. We used swaddle me or sleep sacks with arms out...for maybe 6 weeks? We will just follow this LO's cues again.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Depends. DD hated and DS was alright with it. We shall see. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    We swaddled both very briefly, about 3 weeks. Neither of them were crazy about it and DD would always bust her arms out. We'll see how this one likes it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for all the feedback! I was hoping the concerns around swaddling were just hype, so I suppose I will just register for the swaddle blankets/sleep sacks and see how he likes it. 
  • Options
    ns1ns1 member
    Yes yes yes. It was awesome for DD.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    There are cons to swaddling??  No personal experience, but I've only heard the positives!
  • Options
    I've never even heard of a con. My mom was a head nurse in the NICU and she even taught me to swaddle my dolls, ha.

So yes. Unless my baby hates it.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    We will try it. If he likes it, we will swaddle. If not, we won't. What is with these hip dysplasia hypes lately?
  • Options
    The hospital that we'll deliver at gives "swaddle me" type blankets to each new born. It is encouraged. It was a must with my son. It was hard to wean him from it
  • Options
    usernewnameusernewname member
    edited January 2014
    Yes, but in the first few months, their movements are all reflexive rather than deliberate. Some babies end up waking themselves out of sleep because of the constant movement. That is why swaddling can be helpful.

If my kid sleeps better when swaddled, you bet we'll be doing it! I have not read any warnings and honestly don't see why it would be bad if done correctly.
    To each their own :) its not something i plan on doing as its against my education so i would like to try not doing it (I'm sure I'll sing a different tune with a crying baby in my arms).
  • Options
    I will definitely swaddle.
    I've been practicing on DH and he loves it! ;) He's my huge Chipotle burrito and LO will be a junior burrito.

<3<3 Team BababaBLUE!!! <3<3

Siggy Challenge (NOW, yes, because I be slow...)

• Options
    I've never heard of cons or "hype" about swaddling.  DD loved it and we will swaddle this baby as well assuming she tolerates/likes it.
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Options
    mrsbtobe20122mrsbtobe20122 member
    edited January 2014

To each their own :) its not something i plan on doing as its against my education so i would like to try not doing it (I'm sure I'll sing a different tune with a crying baby in my arms).

Please educate us.

Mrs. B's Ovulation Chart
    TTC Baby B since 10/2012
    BFP#1 12/27/12 II TWIN GIRLS II D&C 2/15/13 TRAP sequence

Clomid + TI + Acupuncture x 2 cycles

BFP#2 9/5/13 II EDD 5/16/14 II Beckett Ryan born May 10, 2014

• Options

Please educate us.

Sorry. Shouldn't have said anything. Don't want to ruffle feathers. I'm a Montessori teacher and were taught many things that go against the grain. I tend to forget it makes me crunchy at times :)
  • Options
    It's being wrapped in a blanket, not strapped to a board. 

We'll do it in the early days. 
    11/10/10 The Kid
  • Options

Please educate us.
    RedRosePinkCrazy, is that you???

• Options
    Please share some legitimate, scientific research articles that support concerns about swaddling.

Ill be swaddling unless LO doesn't like it.
    My Blog
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

TTC #1 since February 2011
    Me: 29 (3/5/13- high NK cells)  DH: 28 (5/8/12- MFI low morph and motility)
    Cycle #21 (IUI#1), Cycle #22 (HSG 9/21/12) and Cycle #23 (IUI#2)=  image
    Cycle #24- December Snow Bunny IVF #1
    ER 12/6/12 (14R, 11M, 9F), ET 12/9/12 transferred 2 day 3 embies
    Bleeding and low betas=very cautious image C/P 5W3D
    Cycle #26 March Lucky Duck- FET #1
    scheduled 3/20/13- CANCELLED- lining issues
    Cycle #27 May Emerald- FET #1.2
    delayed- Starting Trental for 3 months + natural cycles Cycle #28-30=  image
    Cycle #31 August Shooting Star- FET #1.3 
    transferred 1 hatching blast 8/21/13= imageBetas 8/30 (108) and 9/3 (565)

U/S 9/19/13- HR is 128!  U/S #2 10/4/13- HR is 174!
    It's a BOY!

• Options
    DS couldn't sleep without his straight jacket, I mean swaddle, until he was almost a year. He loved that thing and felt much more comfortable being bundled up tight. If DS2 likes it and sleeps just as much because of it, I will be doing it again.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP#1 - 11/27/09 EDD 8/5/10, DS1 arrived 7/24/10 via emergency c-section.

BFP#2 - 6/18/12 EDD 2/23/13, sweet baby girl born sleeping on 10/4/12 at 19 weeks, 3 days.

BFP #3 - 1/18/13 EDD 10/1/13, natural mc on 2/2/13 at 5 weeks, 4 days.

BFP #4 - 8/29/13 EDD 5/12/14, our sweet rainbow, DS2 born 4/29/14 via c-section

• Options
    I'll be swaddling the baby. DH has experience with his neices and nephews so we will start off swaddle style. I have no experience so I'll hsve to practice.
  • Options
    smittysmiles

My trainer offered no real scientific research to back up her claim, but she told us that swaddling inhibits movement, as babies have a natural desire to move and swaddling prevents it.

I have no real experience as I am a FTM, but I'd like to try not doing it. She never mentioned the startle reflex being the cause of babies waking during their sleep, she spoke of it more when babies are put down onto a bed/bassinet etc. I haven't done any research myself as I just never gave a second thought of it. But if someone has some research and would like to share, I would like to read up on it. Or some personal experience.

I am all for what works for everyone's own families, all in the goal of happy, healthy children. And of course there are things we all want to do, but the baby might not be following our game plan.
  • Options
    danabsd said:

I have no idea why anyone wouldn't swaddle.  It's a godsend for newborns.

Because my kid would scream until he broke out. We used the halo swaddle sacks and left his arms out. But I have a weird kid. He hated being swaddled from day 1.

Anniversary 
    Congrats to my GP Sister from another mister Bruinsbabe!!

• Options
    smittysmiles

My trainer offered no real scientific research to back up her claim, but she told us that swaddling inhibits movement, as babies have a natural desire to move and swaddling prevents it.

I have no real experience as I am a FTM, but I'd like to try not doing it. She never mentioned the startle reflex being the cause of babies waking during their sleep, she spoke of it more when babies are put down onto a bed/bassinet etc. I haven't done any research myself as I just never gave a second thought of it. But if someone has some research and would like to share, I would like to read up on it. Or some personal experience.

I am all for what works for everyone's own families, all in the goal of happy, healthy children. And of course there are things we all want to do, but the baby might not be following our game plan.
    That's exactly the point. Swaddling works for some babies because their natural inclination to move (which is just a reflex at that stage, they can't control it) gets in the way of their ability to sleep.

It's not exactly a peer reviewed study but I first came across discussion of this in You Having a Baby by Dr. Oz.
  • Options

Mrs. B's Ovulation Chart
    TTC Baby B since 10/2012
    BFP#1 12/27/12 II TWIN GIRLS II D&C 2/15/13 TRAP sequence

Clomid + TI + Acupuncture x 2 cycles

BFP#2 9/5/13 II EDD 5/16/14 II Beckett Ryan born May 10, 2014

• Options
    We didn't swaddle for the first month. My son did NOT sleep. Once we started, he was sleeping 10-11 hours straight. We will be swaddling!
                                         my blog - cheese & cheesecake

Me: 31, DH: 34, Married 5/29/05
    BFP #1: 6/22/10, EDD 3/6/11, DS born 2/25/11 @ 38w5d
    BFP #2: 7/27/13, EDD 4/9/14, CP 8/3/13
    BFP #3: 8/31/13, EDD 5/10/13, DD born med-free 5/9/14 @ 39w6d 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"