May 2014 Moms
Options

UO

I'm shocked that no one has started this already...I'll go first.

I promise I'm not a totally insensitive bitch, but it really bothers me when people become so consumed with a celebrity death.  We have heard so much about the Paul Walker death - people hanging out at the accident scene, countless reports on what exactly happened, cause of death (which seems pretty obvious to me).  It's not just with this death either - when that guy from Glee died from a drug overdose people were crying, etc.  I understand that they are fans of said actors, but I don't understand becoming so consumed with an actor that you become emotionally invested in them and what happens to them.  There are so many people in our communities who should be looked up to - many of these actors who have fans who idolize them are pretty f'd up people (not necessarily speaking of Paul Walker, just in general).  

And then to piggy back off of that, the media just glorifies these events.  Any type of tragedy that happens, the media exploits it so damn much.  I know we are coming up on the Sandy Hook killings and I am really dreading how the media is going to exploit the families of those poor babies.  Believe me, I cried like a baby when it happened and in the days after because I couldn't help but imagine my own child in that situation.  It's a parent's worst nightmare.  I just hate how the media really just turns everything tragic into a circus.  Let the people mourn without a microphone and camera in their face.

Wow...that became much longer than I expected.  Sorry!

Re: UO

• Options
    ITA about the media. I've got nothin today. I'm exhausted from yesterday.

Seriously. 

Baby boy arriving late Spring '14

• Options
    I'm annoyed with the way our siggy challenge works. It takes too long to come up with a new challenge, and the threads always get lost. 

BFP #1 7.16.13 | EDD 3.27.14  | MC 7.29.13
    BFP #2 8.28.13 | EDD 5.5.14 | Simon Francis, Due Date Baby!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    EmpireceoEmpireceo member
    edited December 2013
    IBackBevo said:

My UO is that I wish instead of flaming the "spanking/swatting/hitting" lady yesterday/today on the thread about picky eating, that more people would have tried to actually reason with her and educate her as to how what she was doing was bad for her children.  (Some did in a very eloquent manner.)  And I freely admit that I was one of the ones initially guilty of responding to her with snark, but after I thought about it I realized the severity of what she was doing and the consequences it has on young, helpless children, I wish I had initially responded differently...I don't think anyone is going to change someone's mind/behavior with snark.  But, then again, I also realize that trying to reason with her is probably a moot point anyway because she seems pretty committed to her behavior and wrong beliefs.

I agree.  I went back this morning and tried but I don't think she's going to respond to me, especially if she is surrounded by people who support what she's doing.  I seriously have the sads.  If btcrazylove starts spewing her hateful judgments in the UO today I might lose it and  finally earn some abuse points.  
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    IBackBevo said:

My UO is that I wish instead of flaming the "spanking/swatting/hitting" lady yesterday/today on the thread about picky eating, that more people would have tried to actually reason with her and educate her as to how what she was doing was bad for her children.  (Some did in a very eloquent manner.)  And I freely admit that I was one of the ones initially guilty of responding to her with snark, but after I thought about it I realized the severity of what she was doing and the consequences it has on young, helpless children, I wish I had initially responded differently...I don't think anyone is going to change someone's mind/behavior with snark.  But, then again, I also realize that trying to reason with her is probably a moot point anyway because she seems pretty committed to her behavior and wrong beliefs.

Hmm, I agree with you (and I definitely fell into the flamer/shamer category, myself), and was glad to see that poster from GPM and EmpireCEO take that route.  I was probably too infuriated for that. It's the internet and there's a lot crazier shit out there, but I haven't been that upset about something I've seen online in a long time. 

• Options
    @tna112 -- I have no idea what an Elf on a Shelf is, but it sounds like the sort of thing that terrified me about becoming a mother. I can't with any of that stuff. 

• Options
    IBackBevoIBackBevo member
    edited December 2013

My other UO is that I don't think you should force kids to eat certain foods.  Now if they just flat aren't eating, that is one thing...but if it is just one food or a few foods--well, we all have foods/consistencies that we don't like! I would not want to be forced to eat something that I don't like even as an adult.

Part of my thought process comes from my Mother always talking about her child rearing experiences.  My brothers were super tiny (twins) and underweight. By today's standards, they would have likely been Failure to Thrive.  She could not get them to eat fruits or vegis so would put them in an infa-feeder and basically force feed them.  To this day, in their mid-40's, they still remember this and will NOT TOUCH a fruit or vegi. And one is overweight and diabetic. On the other hand, she learned her lesson with me (I was 12 years later) and I was never made to eat something I did not want to eat.  Not that this was great parenting, but I remember even being allowed to eat ice cream for breakfast. There is hardly any food that I will not eat and, compared to my brothers, I have a pretty health diet/lifestyle... and I really don't even like ice cream that much anymore.  I really think there is something about "forcing" something on a child that makes them have a negative association with that item.   

Edit: typo

IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
  • Options
    ykristos said:

@tna112 -- I have no idea what an Elf on a Shelf is, but it sounds like the sort of thing that terrified me about becoming a mother. I can't with any of that stuff. 

It's this elf that comes to your house in December to remind you that Santa's watching you and every day parents set up this scenario of something the elf did overnight while the kids were sleeping. It can get really elaborate.
  • Options
    Laura_ElaineLaura_Elaine member
    edited December 2013
    My UO is that I'm not going away, and that I am not affected at all by any of your comments. :-) Most responses to me were out of some stereotypical idea of what a "Christian spanker" is/does that is not quite accurate of what exactly my home situation is like... so why should it matter to me if you don't like something that I'm not really doing...? I do appreciate the commentors who tried to explain how spankng is wrong, and that they believe I believe I'm doing the right thing, but it's really not necessary... being a mom really is hard, and for more reasons than having a 'picky eater.'

If you've noticed (which you probably haven't paid terribly much attention to me up until the recent "discussion") I don't generally post questions to internet strangers... most of my posts are general comments or announcements or something like that. The opinion of total strangers doesn't really matter much to me, and (not sure if this is an UO or not, but...) that discussion obviously got out of hand by people coming just to flame me.

Another UO of mine is that I don't believe in child-proofing. If you somehow missed the flaming/drama on the "Being a mom is hard" discussion, we use hand swatting or spanking to keep them away from dangerous things (electric sockets and cords and whatnot), as well as dicipline for disobedience. The theory behind this is that when we go to someone's home that is not child-proofed, my children still know what they cannot touch. Also, even at home, they learn boundaries that just because they can reach something does not mean they have the right to grab it.
  • Options

ykristos said:

typeset said:
    Yup, I'm also disturbed and upset, wondering if there is anything I could have said differently that might get through to her.
    Nerp. She's proud of it.

Look at that! She just proved your point. 
    All the lulz right now.

• Options
    pandadair said:
    Yup, I'm also disturbed and upset, wondering if there is anything I could have said differently that might get through to her.
    I'm going to guess 100% no, there was nothing anyone could have said differently to get through to her.

Agree with this...she's clearly beyond reasoning at this point and I think she is actually thriving on all of the attention (which is even more unfortunate).

• Options
    Peaceb0ne said:
    I'm annoyed with the way our siggy challenge works. It takes too long to come up with a new challenge, and the threads always get lost. 
    Then suggest something to improve it. I think it does too but it's the best way I could come up with. 
    Maybe on the 1st of the new month we could post a thread asking for what it should be, and the suggestion with the most "love its" wins? I didn't mean any disrespect, I certainly appreciate that you have taken the lead with posting the threads and whatnot! :)

BFP #1 7.16.13 | EDD 3.27.14  | MC 7.29.13
    BFP #2 8.28.13 | EDD 5.5.14 | Simon Francis, Due Date Baby!

• Options

My UO is that I'm not going away, and that I am not affected at all by any of your comments. :-) Most responses to me were out of some stereotypical idea of what a "Christian spanker" is/does that is not quite accurate of what exactly my home situation is like... so why should it matter to me if you don't like something that I'm not really doing...? I do appreciate the commentors who tried to explain how spankng is wrong, and that they believe I believe I'm doing the right thing, but it's really not necessary... being a mom really is hard, and for more reasons than having a 'picky eater.'

If you've noticed (which you probably haven't paid terribly much attention to me up until the recent "discussion") I don't generally post questions to internet strangers... most of my posts are general comments or announcements or something like that. The opinion of total strangers doesn't really matter much to me, and (not sure if this is an UO or not, but...) that discussion obviously got out of hand by people coming just to flame me.

Another UO of mine is that I don't believe in child-proofing. If you somehow missed the flaming/drama on the "Being a mom is hard" discussion, we use hand swatting or spanking to keep them away from dangerous things (electric sockets and cords and whatnot), as well as dicipline for disobedience. The theory behind this is that when we go to someone's home that is not child-proofed, my children still know what they cannot touch. Also, even at home, they learn boundaries that just because they can reach something does not mean they have the right to grab it.

Ugh. I think I'm out for a while if this discussion is not going to stop. Laura Elaine, you have clearly seen that no one seems to agree with you, yet you continue posting about it. I don't want to hear it anymore. I would never say you shouldn't come back here or post at all, but if you're going to continue this topic, then I'm leaving for while. I can't handle it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Bliz1712 said:

I dislike the maternity pants and try not to wear them when I can.  The band is my friend this time.  They never stay up and I end up pulling them up every 2 seconds and look like a fool.

They were amazing last time but this time I cannot keep them up to save my life! I do fine in yoga pants and athletic shorts but the demi panel folds over on me and still falls down. Maybe I need to try a different style. I saw Motherhood has some that has elastic section on the sides but still have the button and zipper. Maybe that will work.

Anniversary 
    Congrats to my GP Sister from another mister Bruinsbabe!!

• Options
    hhegyesi said:
    I think wipe warmers are stupid: I refuse to train my child to think s/he's a royal entity deserving of a pre-warmed ass wipe. 

Life is tough, kiddo: you are not special. you are not a unique snowflake. Also, there's no such thing as Santa Claus.

My UO is that everyone should always take the most practical approach possible. "Thou shalt not cosset thy child." (11th commandment courtesy of my mother.)
    The Occam's razor of child rearing.

• Options

"Christians" like @Laura_Elaine scare the hell out of me. I'm not Christian but I know some very wonderful Christians who are actually very kind and loving. Then there's her kind. And her kind is what makes me realize that what I believe may be better than what her kind preach. I'm pretty sure being humble is a good thing..she apparently doesn't know the meaning of that word...

*Quizzical look* Because posting on a public discussion board (any topic) is humble...? Actually, I guess I fail to see how humility factors in at all. I do what's right for me, and will suggest it to others who ask what to do in a certain situation, but I in no way try to claim I have it all figured out of that my way is the best/only way. I merely said I don't ask for the opinion of strangers, internet or otherwise. That does not mean I don't have input from trusted mentors/advisors (not sure of the right word to use here, but I'm sure you have a group of real-life 'counselors' you run some things by and don't base every decision (parenting, pregnancy, or otherwise) on what internet strangers say...)

And I don't really like the attention, which is why I had hoped you all could get on with your lives as I get on with mine, but alas... more of the same today. Now you don't think I should post/comment on anythig anymore?
  • Options
    Peaceb0ne said:

Then suggest something to improve it. I think it does too but it's the best way I could come up with. 

Maybe on the 1st of the new month we could post a thread asking for what it should be, and the suggestion with the most "love its" wins? I didn't mean any disrespect, I certainly appreciate that you have taken the lead with posting the threads and whatnot! :)

Not gonna happen, but I am enjoying all these GIFs y'all find. I'm not a GIF-er myself, but it is fun to see. And I can understand the lure of "Hey, everyone! Go check out the crazy drama on the May 14 board!" (or wherever more crazy drama may occur), so I don't harbor resentment for anyone who was well meaning in their comment, however unnecessary the comment was.
  • Options
    JessElam said:
    I'm shocked that no one has started this already...I'll go first.

I promise I'm not a totally insensitive bitch, but it really bothers me when people become so consumed with a celebrity death.  We have heard so much about the Paul Walker death - people hanging out at the accident scene, countless reports on what exactly happened, cause of death (which seems pretty obvious to me).  It's not just with this death either - when that guy from Glee died from a drug overdose people were crying, etc.  I understand that they are fans of said actors, but I don't understand becoming so consumed with an actor that you become emotionally invested in them and what happens to them.  There are so many people in our communities who should be looked up to - many of these actors who have fans who idolize them are pretty f'd up people (not necessarily speaking of Paul Walker, just in general).  

And then to piggy back off of that, the media just glorifies these events.  Any type of tragedy that happens, the media exploits it so damn much.  I know we are coming up on the Sandy Hook killings and I am really dreading how the media is going to exploit the families of those poor babies.  Believe me, I cried like a baby when it happened and in the days after because I couldn't help but imagine my own child in that situation.  It's a parent's worst nightmare.  I just hate how the media really just turns everything tragic into a circus.  Let the people mourn without a microphone and camera in their face.

Wow...that became much longer than I expected.  Sorry!
    Me too. When Paul Walker died (not that it wasn't sad) I was thinking about all the other losses of life that occur that no one even mentions. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    tna112 said:
    It's this elf that comes to your house in December to remind you that Santa's watching you and every day parents set up this scenario of something the elf did overnight while the kids were sleeping. It can get really elaborate.
    That was my UO last week! :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    meli1025 said:

"Christians" like @Laura_Elaine scare the hell out of me. I'm not Christian but I know some very wonderful Christians who are actually very kind and loving. Then there's her kind. And her kind is what makes me realize that what I believe may be better than what her kind preach. I'm pretty sure being humble is a good thing..she apparently doesn't know the meaning of that word...

*Quizzical look* Because posting on a public discussion board (any topic) is humble...? Actually, I guess I fail to see how humility factors in at all. I do what's right for me, and will suggest it to others who ask what to do in a certain situation, but I in no way try to claim I have it all figured out of that my way is the best/only way. I merely said I don't ask for the opinion of strangers, internet or otherwise. That does not mean I don't have input from trusted mentors/advisors (not sure of the right word to use here, but I'm sure you have a group of real-life 'counselors' you run some things by and don't base every decision (parenting, pregnancy, or otherwise) on what internet strangers say...)

And I don't really like the attention, which is why I had hoped you all could get on with your lives as I get on with mine, but alas... more of the same today. Now you don't think I should post/comment on anythig anymore?

I stayed out of it yesterday, but you're getting on my last nerve.  No one said you shouldn't post anything.  BUT, you caused a shitstorm yesterday with your spanking antics, and you come back on today to tell everyone that in addition to spanking your kids for not eating you also spank them to avoid child proofing your house.  No one wants to hear about how you spank your kids, so you should just stop posting about that

Actually, someone did comment (not in the UO thread) that they were surprised I was back on here posting in other threads this morning.

I'm okay with droppig thw subject, but isn't this the place where we can just dump stuff we want to say. Every day has a thread that's labeled according to the day, but basically the same type of thing. (FFFC, UO, WTF Wednesday, 10 Things Tuesday, Minday Bishfest... how are these threads different other than the day they're posted on?)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"