May 2014 Moms
Options

20week ultra sound, could it be done at 17- 18 weeks?

I will be 18 weeks the week of Christmas and it would be so nice to find out the gender right before then. Do u think a midwife would approve of a two week early ultrasound if I asked nicely. What are the chances that what they see in the 17-18 week ultrasound and the 20 week one will be the same.

Re: 20week ultra sound, could it be done at 17- 18 weeks?

• Options
    sammy.ksammy.k member
    edited December 2013
    I found out with my son at 18 weeks. I'll be 18 weeks and some change at our a/s on dec. 18.
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat. I'm 18 weeks that week too and my midwife let me schedule mine for 12/23
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I will be 20 weeks the week of Christmas and my dr's office gave me a hard time about scheduling it at 19 weeks 1 day. I told them it would just be too hard to fit in a dr's appt the week of Christmas since the holidays are on Tuesday and Wednesday. It could just be my drs office that are sticklers about it though.

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    My doctor has yet to schedule mine.. I have a regular appointment on the 17th and I'll be 20 weeks then ... Idk why he didn't do it for then
    Pregnancy Ticker
    photo 60020120725ELE036.jpgphoto IMG_18642013130584_zps06545ab5.jpg
  • Options
    Mine were sticklers, too. I had to be 20 weeks+ Same thing happened when I was pregnant with DS. Different offices, too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Options
    I am 18 weeks today and mine is scheduled for Thursday. The impression that i got was that they would have done it any time this week. It can't hurt to ask.
  • Options
    As far the anatomy scan goes I think there would be significant development within those weeks you schedule ahead. I don't know if they would do it, it won't hurt to ask thou. As far as sex determination goes, with DD I was 16 weeks when I found out what she was. Good luck!

• Options
    I have my anatomy scan set for Dec 16th but after having some complications, I was brought in for an emergency ultrasound on Monday. She was able to tell us the gender, but I still have my appt on the 16th to measure all the baby pieces and she said it had to be done then, even though she has just measured everything! Can you ask for an elective?
  • Options
    Had my sons at 17w3d. They were able to see all they needed thankfully (there was question about that going in) and there was zero question he was a boy. I only had it that early bc of some crappy test results though...I'd have given anything to have had good results and kept my 20w appt. Can you do an elective one?

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• Options
    I have my anatomy scan on the 9th and I'll be 17w5d and my doc sad I'll be able to find out the sex if we wanted to.
  • Options
    My Dr was pretty firm that he wants it done at 20 weeks. If you can't get it scheduled in time, get an elective one done.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    My OB does them at 20 week. It's not the sex they're looking for at all, it's development, and finding out the sex is just a perk for the parents, and you need to be far enough along for them to see what they need to see. If you want to know earlier, especially earlier than the recommended 18-22 weeks, you should just pay for an elective ultrasound.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    When I scheduled my scan the radiology place said the morphology scan can be done between 18-20 weeks but they preferred to book you in closer to 20 weeks. I think 17 may be a little too early.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Determining the gender can be done as early as 16 weeks. If you want to make sure you know before Christmas schedule an elective u/s somewhere else. We did for our first and I mow i am going again on dec 14th!! Fingers crossed for a girl
  • Options
    18-22 weeks is what I was told. Mine is scheduled for December 17th and I'll be 18 weeks. They said I will find out the gender then!!!
  • Options
    I had mine done at 17w5d because of travel for work; they were able to see everything they needed to, and we found out we're having a boy.
    Tobin Chase, born April 20, 2014
  • Options
    I was offered a diagnostic ultrasound 2 to 3  weeks earlier, which would take some measurements and look for some early soft indicators of any issues. I was told that I would absolutely have to return at 20 weeks for accurate measurements. You might have a practice that has no problem scheduling you Monday the 23rd, or they may tell you no way, they'll see you at 20 weeks. Either way, it's much more important for them to get accurate measurements than a sneak peek at genitals. The anatomy scan looks for signs of defects in the heart, kidneys, bladder, stomach, and spine. To me, those are way more important than being impatient and wanting to know the sex by christmas.

• Options
    Mine is scheduled for 18 wks 4 days... I was told between 18-20 weeks is the window they want you in at.... But as pp's said, some doctors might be different.
  • Options
    I had mine at 18 weeks with ds...I'm getting this one at 18w1d (Wednesday! ).

But if you absolutely want to know I would do an elective.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I get mine at a maternal fetal med office and I did it at 17w5 days and they saw everything fine
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Depends on the technology and policies that the doctor uses. I had my a/s at 18 weeks exactly with DD.

This. And I was also told our insurance only covers it starting at 19 weeks. I have anthem.

Mrs. B's Ovulation Chart
    TTC Baby B since 10/2012
    BFP#1 12/27/12 II TWIN GIRLS II D&C 2/15/13 TRAP sequence

Clomid + TI + Acupuncture x 2 cycles

BFP#2 9/5/13 II EDD 5/16/14 II Beckett Ryan born May 10, 2014

• Options
    mjday86mjday86 member
    edited December 2013
    Thanks everybody, I have a appt this week hopefully my midwife won't care if it's a little early
  • Options
    I will be 18w4d at my a/s.

photo May2014jpg photo MomTatWhiteNew40jpg

It’s not that I don’t like you, it’s that I don’t know you. Stranger Danger.
  • Options
    We are leaving for a month to visit family through the holidays and I had to beg to be seen at 18 weeks so I could find out the sex before we left. But they said 18 weeks is better than 23 weeks when I got back, so I won! Appointment on the 10th! :)
  • Options
    One midwife I saw when my next appointment was going to fell on 19w she told me I would have to come back the next week for the ultrasound at 20w. But the doctor I saw at my 15w appoitment went ahead and scheduled both at my 19w.

My friend due 3 weeks behind me her doctor wants her to wait until at least 21w so really it all depends on the doc or midwife ull just have to ask and see what they say. My doc told me 18-20 is usually standard.
    Anniversary 

BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yes.i got mine at 17w6d but it also depends when your last apt was as they see me every 4 wks & that's just how it worked out
  • Options
    Mine is scheduled at 19 weeks but my doctor is more concerned about the health of the baby not the sex. It would be nice to know before Christmas but I can wait.
  • Options
    I had my first one at 17 weeks 4 days.

This time I will be around 19 weeks.

• Options
    JAM85JAM85 member
    edited December 2013
    My anatomy scan is at 17 weeks so they definitely can- it just so happens to coincide with my MFM appt so it depends when they like to schedule your visits. I have to see someone every 1-2 weeks right now as I am high risk

Edit to add: they also told me if they can't get enough info they need they will just repeat. I have to see doctors so often (and it will only be getting more frequent) that it isn't an issue)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Mine is at the end of week 18. They scheduled it before my big hiking trip during NYE to make sure baby is ok before I left. I tried to weasel my way into an appt the week before so I could check before Christmas but my MFM dr said no way. 17 weeks was too early. If it wasnt for the trip I would be there at 20 weeks. The longer you wait the more dr can see all the arms legs toes and everything they look for. It's a tough wait but worth it IMO.
  • Options
    My Dr. said he does them between 16-20 weeks. I was able to get mine at 16w4d and they were able to get all her measurements and 95% sure she's a girl. 

**Ready for Baby!**
  • Options
    Mine is scheduled for 19w2d
    photo maymommy2014.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I'm having my 20wk anatomy scan at 19w2d on December 20th. My hospital's fetal care center had no problem with seeing me few days early. Actually, as crazy as their schedule is, it was about the only time they could fit me in before Christmas--I'll be 20w exactly Christmas day. We're having twins though, so we get an u/s everyone four weeks to monitor both babies' growth. I'm not really sure if they would have made me wait if we were only having a singleton.
  • Options
    I asked my dr if I can do mine a week and a half early so I can find out before christmas and she said sure. She also told me to do a fun reveal and let her know how it goes. I guess it's no big deal.
  • Options
    My OB refuses to do them before 22weeks. She says that the heart is big enough that week to see any potential defects, and she wants to make sure that she catches that. I'm bummed too because that puts me after New Years. Oh well, I'd rather her be vigilant with the safety of my baby than know the sex a little early. It's still just as special after Christmas! I promise!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Mine is scheduled for 17w5d, and I'm going to double check on that tomorrow. My OB has to refer me to Duke hospital because I'm high risk (type 1 diabetes). I'm not sure if they scheduled me that early on purpose, or if someone just did the math wrong (the first time they scheduled me at 14 weeks!). Or maybe it's ok because Duke has better technology? Who knows. I'll find out tomorrow morning at my checkup.
    image image
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    peachysweet4peachysweet4 member
    edited December 2013
    Depends on their policy on it. With DS they wouldn't do it 1 day before 20weeks. Where I'm going now they do it between 19-22wks. I'm going on Dec 26th at 19w6d.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Mine is scheduled for 18 weeks exactly even though my measurements put me a few days behind (so I think I'll only be 17.5 days). I tried to move it to the following week just to be safe but they wouldn't budge. Mine has to do with when they have my screenings. Blood and NT scan at 11.6 days, next blood at 17 weeks then ultrasound and explanation of results at 18 weeks.
  • Options
    My Mfm does the a/s for my dr and gave me a big hastle for asking mine to be at 19 w 6 d rather than 20w!!! They reminded me that gender is a perk but measuring baby and development is the main reason for this scan at all. Makes sense to me. I shut up:)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"