Baby Names

Everyone's hating on my fave!!

So I LOVE the name Clara Isabelle for a little girl, and my husband is also on board. But the few family member and friends I've mentioned it to, hate it. Complaints of it being 'ugly' and 'oldfashioned' and 'plain' and 'boring.'

Just wondering what other people's gut reactions to it are. I absolutely will not be offended if you hate it! My mother actually said 'I have never put my foot down with you on anything in your life but this will be the one time I will not let it go.'

Re: Everyone's hating on my fave!!

• I like it!

DD#1 is 3! And LO#2 is on his/her way! Due Feb 26th, 2014.

BFP#1: EDD 5/7/2010 born on 5/20/2010. A little girl named Emily.  

BFP#2: m/c 10/29/2012 EDD was 6/21/2012 Baby Hope was 6 weeks 3 days. 

BFP#3: Twin B stopped growing at 8 weeks and 5 days. Found on 8/10/2014. EDD was 2/26/2014. Twin A is still doing great and due date is 2/26/14. 

• Loading the player...
  • I think it's a beautiful name. 

Mother of  Sable Rene' & Clifton Michael
    Blog    Names
  • Clara was on our short list - I love it. I have two friends who've named their daughters Clara, and know several other people who were also thinking of using it.

Your mother needs to get a grip. Not her kid, not her call. "Mom, you got to name your kids. Now it's my turn."
  • I like it. There is nothing wrong with a classic old-fashioned name.
  • Clara was on our short list as well. Love it! I actually know two young Clara's. And mom has no business naming your baby. She can put her foot down all she likes, doesn't mean you have to listen to her.
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker      

• NMS, but there is nothing wrong with Clara Isabelle. It is pretty and fresh-sounding.

T 2.12 | W 5.14

• I have never been a fan of Clara. I do like Isabelle.
    photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
  • Agree with mj.reilly!

DS1-7/21/2011 @ 1:51am

DD-5/29/2013 @ 2:40pm

DS2-5/29/2013 @ 3:21pm

#4 EDD- 9/28/2016

• I'm assuming they wanted you to choose something cutesy or youneek? 
    I think Clara Isabelle is a great name. Don't let them make you second guess the name you love. It isn't their baby and it's definitely not thier choice. 
  • when naming a baby you arent going to please every one. With my first we ended up changing the name at 30 weeks cause of all the negativity. This time around we arent telling anyone the name till bub is born. Peoples opinions about names generally change when they see the baby and realise the name really suits them
  • I am not a fan of old lady names

• It's a great name
  • When I see Clara I think of the little girl in the nutcracker, which I think is a great association to have. I think Clara Isabelle is a beautiful name.

Try not to get too hung up on what family members think. My sister openly didn't like DD2's name when we brought it up before she was born (we didn't decide her name until she was a day old) but I haven't heard a peep about it since it actually became her name. Trust me, they'll give it up once they meet Clara Isabelle.
  • Holy cow, that's a strong reaction to a real name that is spelled correctly and has history.

Your mom gets no say.  She had a chance to name her kids, now you gets yours. 

And FYI, Clara Isabelle is lovely.  I see not one thing wrong with it.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I love it! Clara was on our list too, I think it's simple in a classic beautiful way. And I love the mn too, very popular name these days.

...your situation is why we don't tell family until we've 100% decided, I dont want or care for their opinions.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I love it. That's exactly why we keep our names a secret from family. 

B.R.C. 5/08-- N.R.C. 5/10--S.R.C. 3/14
  • Omigosh, how can someone hate on that name?! It's gorgeous! I love it.
  • It's a lovely name.  I would use it in a second!

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• Love it! Clara is such a beautiful name, if it wasn't so darn close to my own name I'd put it high on my list!

Your family really doesn't get a say in naming your child. Your mother may put her foot down all she wants, but was she there when the baby was made? Will she be the one pushing the baby into this world? No. Therefore, ignore her comments and move on. Just repeat "If it's a girl, her name will be Clara Isabelle. It's not open for discussion." 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I think it is a lovely choice! Your baby, your choice in names. If you are concerned, you could consider Claire Isabelle which is a little more modern. You may end up changing your mind in the next 35 weeks, too, or it could be a boy so I wouldn't stress too much now. I do think you should keep all other name choices to yourself! I'm surprised that people would have such a strong and vocal reaction when a family member says, "we've chosen to name our baby X". Nod, smile, move on then eyeroll to your spouse.
  • I think it's lovely. It is a little old fashioned, which is probably why your mom thinks it's boring. I'm all for traditional names though so I really like it. I think old fashioned is much better than youneek. Don't listen to your mom, she has no say in naming your child. We told my mom our top 3 name choices for DD1 and she shut them all down. We still went with our favorite and just learned not to tell anyone names until the LO is born.
  • annabelle.27annabelle.27 member
    edited September 2013
    I adore Clara, I think it is classic and dignified. I do have to say I don't love it with Isabelle (I hear Clarabelle which I think is the cow in some old Disney stuff) but Isabelle again is a classic name.

Your mother has no say in what you name your kid. I know my parents hated our son's name but just smiled politely and nodded. She doesn't sign the birth certificate, she doesn't get to put her foot down about anything. Seriously, stand your ground. Clara is a beautiful name.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Out of curiosity, @AshleighDB, what kind of names does your mom like?  I only ask because I'm pretty sure my mother and I have different tastes as well.

One day when I was visiting, we were watching TV and somehow names came up. I was talking about how I want a name that grows well with him/her, and she says, "Well, I like Mackenzie!"

No offense to anyone with a child named MacKenzie, it's just not my style.

I've always thought that maybe she likes names that are more trendy or cutesy more than I do. She's not a fan of the "old lady trend."

• She's going to put her foot down on what? That doesn't even make sense, since, you know, she's not the one naming the child....

Clara is lovely. Isabelle is a bit much for me, but it's a very fine name!
      It's a girl!! EDD 2/28/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I like the name Clara and the name Isabelle- that being said, together, I'm strongly reminded of Clarabelle the Cow from Mickey Mouse. I probably wouldn't pair the two, but that's just my opinion. You and your husband can select any name you like. Your mom was outta line, for sure.
    This.  I ADORE Clara (it is on your top 3 list) and I also really like Isabelle, but I would undoubtedly shorten it to Clara Belle and like pp said that reminds me of the cow.  Clara is beautiful and classic, your mom is being crazy ;)
  • Clara Isabelle is a very nice name. It might not be her particular style, but there isn't a thing wrong with it. Your mom is way out of line with her 'putting her foot down' comment. I think you need to tell her firmly that it's not her place to make comments like that, and if she continues to talk about how much she hates your child's name, all she'll succeed in doing is driving a wedge between you. I hate it when parents think they can still try and control their adult kids. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Clara was on my list for a girl; I think it's absolutely lovely! 

• NerdyLucyNerdyLucy member
    edited September 2013
    Joy2611 said:
    NerdyLucy said:

Out of curiosity, @AshleighDB, what kind of names does your mom like?  I only ask because I'm pretty sure my mother and I have different tastes as well.

One day when I was visiting, we were watching TV and somehow names came up. I was talking about how I want a name that grows well with him/her, and she says, "Well, I like Mackenzie!"

No offense to anyone with a child named MacKenzie, it's just not my style.

I've always thought that maybe she likes names that are more trendy or cutesy more than I do. She's not a fan of the "old lady trend."

Were you watching Teen Mom 3, Lucy?  You can tell us :-)

I've been caught! :\">  I actually watched an episode on my DVR last name. It's one of my terrible guilty pleasures.

Having said that, that's not what was on at my parents' house in this conversation..

I really don't remember what was on TV that spurred a name conversation, but my Mom said the MacKenzie comment all on her own.  I basically tried to find a nice way to say that she'll never have a granddaughter named MacKenzie.  Well, at least not from me.

• Joy2611 said:
    Haha!  Oh, I admit to watching Teen Mom.  All of them, but I'm not much caught up on 1 and 2.  As for 3, I love Brianna.  Alex and Katie weird me out.  Mackenzie is sweet, if a bit naive.  THERE.  You have to share your thoughts now, too!

The situations that Alex and Katie are in make me very, very nervous.  I feel like both relationships are stuck in these dangerous cycles and it's hard for them to get out.

MacKenzie is definitely naive, but I find myself enjoying her scenes more since I feel like her situation isn't as volatile as the others. We don't see big blow-out fights, we don't see gigantic money issues, at least not as far as true concern over putting food on the table (like Kate does).

As for Briana, I'm very glad she has so much support from her sister and mother.  It breaks my heart for her to know that she's so bummed about being a burden.  I feel like she's doing the best she knows how.

Well, I guess on some level, I feel that they're all doing the best they know how, but they're just so daggone young and worn thin.  Alex screams all the time, but then when I step back and look, I remember that she's working three jobs and worrying about a drug addict ex. It can't be easy.

• Politely (or not so politely, like I did with my own MIL) tell your mom that she had her chance to name her kids.  Her time has passed.  This is ONLY you and your husbands decision and that's that.  They'll get used to it, no worries!

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• LOVE Clara! It's on my short list for girl names.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I think it's a beautiful name.

My grandma HATES my boy name and told me she would give him a nn. I told her he's my kid and I'll name him hotdog if I want and she will call him hotdog. Of course hotdog is not on my list! She just did the same thing to my cousin who named her baby Toby. She told her how awful it was the whole pregnancy and now that he's here she hasn't said a bad thing about the name and calls him Toby. Don't worry about others. Name your child something you love. You're the one that will be yelling it 100x a day!
  • Your mom is majorly overreacting. Clara is NMS, but there's nothing at all I can say against it. It's a nice, solid, feminine choice that's easy to pronounce and spell. Go with it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Love it.  Everyone in my life hates Annabelle, except my husband and I.  It's frustrating because you want everyone to love the name you choose. 

• There's nothing wrong with it, it's a nice, legitimate name. I'd stop telling people her name until she's born if they can't keep their mouths shut.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I love Clara Isabelle!  It's beautiful!  I would not listen to anyone on the name choice except for DH.  Since you both love it, go with it.  Your mother had her chance when she named you.  The only people that have a say in naming a baby are mother and father.
    BFP 1/8/10, MC 1/15/10 | BFP 3/20/10, MC 6/24/10 | BFP 12/13/10...EDD 8/22/11...DD born 6/7/11 @ 29 weeks 1 day Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I feel bad your family is so pushy about what you name your child!  My family wouldn't tell me they loved a name if they didn't but certainly would respect that it was our decision.   My mother has a very different style than me.    I think its a prefectly nice name    Clara isn't really my style but I still think its a perfectly good name.

• Clara is one of the few names BF loves that I love. Isabelle is NMS although I do like Clara Isobel so I think it's just stylistic taste. Your Mom will get over it. She got to name her kids, and maybe those names aren't to your taste just like hers aren't to yours.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"