Baby Names

Unique boy names

AnsleyturnerAnsleyturner member
edited September 2013 in Baby Names

So I've never posted over here so not exactly sure if this is acceptable, if not, sorry!

I'm due December 4th and me and DF just cannot agree on a name. 

The only one we've somewhat agreed on so far was Ryder Eden but I'm just not 100% sold.

I was wondering what is your favorite unique boy name(s)??

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Unique boy names

• Some of my favourites (a few of which I'm not sure I would ever have the guts to use, and are all over the map) are:
    - Griffin
    - Sullivan
    - Soren
    - Bennett
    - Sebastien
    - Gael
    - Fletcher
    Natural M/C 03.26.2012 at 10w2d
    Charlotte born at 28w3d due to severe IUGR on 12.24.2012 Merry Christmas!
    Missed M/C discovered 12.22.2014 at 8w1d measuring 6w3d
    2015 was a year to test strength of both body and character, but it led us to this... BFP 01.26.2016 EDD 9.30.2016
  • I like Bennett and Fletcher. Thank you for your suggestions, dear!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • edited September 2013
    My DS is Dashel so I'd say that's my favorite unique boys name! I love the names Abram and Ephram... Those are unique to me but also old school so prob not your style based on the name you're considering. Based on the name you're considering, here are a some I like that I can think to suggest:
    Skyler
    Lachlan
    Cedric
    Quincy
    Bodhi
    Boden
    Bastian
    Seamus
    Embry
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • mh89mh89 member
    edited September 2013
    I also like Bennett!

Archer
    Rowan
    Rohan
    Cedric
    Edmund
    Ivan
    Caelum
    Caspian
    Alistair
    Rhett
    Jasper
    Atticus
    Gideon

ETA more names:

Orion
    Leo
    Miles
    image image

• I love Sebastian and would have suggested it but that is my boss' son.

Other names I loved but didn't get to use: Declan, Finn, Seamus, Elliott, Tate, Franklin, Shaun, and Kaius.
  • @mh89 I like Rowan a lot! Ivan is cute too. Caspian is one of my favorites. What do you think about Castiel? Me and DF agreed on this one also, but he's not sold on it as I am not sold on Ryder. We also haven't been getting the best feedback on it/ people have trouble pronouncing it.. 

I like Archer (and Sterling) but they both reminded  DF too much of the show "archer" :(

@brooksidebride Embry is cute and a nice change to Emory but I like both. I want to like Skylar but it reminds me too much of a girl. I like any unique names whether old school/ new school.

**I must add our Last name ends with an O**

Pregnancy Ticker
  • DS is Callan.
    Some off my future baby list:
    Soren
    Lucian
    Louis
    Martin
    Sullivan
    Rafferty
    Tavish
    Shaw
    Bronson
    Edison
    Ramsey
    Sutton
    Lawson
    Davis
    Vaughan
    Visit The Nest! IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I love Sebastian and would have suggested it but that is my boss' son. Other names I loved but didn't get to use: Declan, Finn, Seamus, Elliott, Tate, Franklin, Shaun, and Kaius.

Declan, Finn, and Kaius are def my style. Do you all think Finley is a boy or a girl name?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @mh89 I like Rowan a lot! Ivan is cute too. Caspian is one of my favorites. What do you think about Castiel? Me and DF agreed on this one also, but he's not sold on it as I am not sold on Ryder. We also haven't been getting the best feedback on it/ people have trouble pronouncing it.. 

I like Archer (and Sterling) but they both reminded  DF too much of the show "archer" :(

I love Rowan, it's one of my favorites on the list I sent you! Caspian is great too! I've never seen the show Archer so I don't make the connection. I like Castiel a lot, but it's been mentioned on this board before and usually gets a mixed response - most people associate it either with Supernatural or a soap brand. I definitely prefer it to Ryder though, which seems very 2013 and trendy to me. I know about 4 people pregnant with baby Ryders right now. It's not a bad name at all, but I have a feeling it will seem very dated in about 15-20 years.  
    image image

• mh89 said:

@mh89 I like Rowan a lot! Ivan is cute too. Caspian is one of my favorites. What do you think about Castiel? Me and DF agreed on this one also, but he's not sold on it as I am not sold on Ryder. We also haven't been getting the best feedback on it/ people have trouble pronouncing it.. 

I love Rowan, it's one of my favorites on the list I sent you! Caspian is great too! I've never seen the show Archer so I don't make the connection. I like Castiel a lot, but it's been mentioned on this board before and usually gets a mixed response - most people associate it either with Supernatural or a soap brand. I definitely prefer it to Ryder though, which seems very 2013 and trendy to me. I know about 4 people pregnant with baby Ryders right now. It's not a bad name at all, but I have a feeling it will seem very dated in about 15-20 years.  

@mh89 Ouhh very refreshing advice! I agree, I think it will be popular soon which is exactly what I DONT want. Which is why Im not sold and DF is because he likes popular names. I don't mind the association with supernatural since it'll be gone in a couple years. I've never used/heard of the soap either. There is a real Angel named Cassiel, which is the angel of Saturday. I like that name, just not as much as I like Castiel.

I view the association of Caspian and The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe the same, but could possibly be worse because I think people would remember that longer than they would Castiel...

Do you happen to know how long ago that thread was/ have a link? Id be curious to see the responses.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I just feel like everyone is going to associate any name with something. Like Jasper is a ghost and Felix is a cat, but both are very cute and acceptable names. I like Finley a lot, but DF tends to think any name ending in ley are girls names. :(

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I really do like Castiel. If you do a search you can find a bunch of threads about it. Here are some links to recent topics on it:

https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/9002559/another-try-sigh/p1

I actually really like Caspian because of the association with the Narnia series, but I love names from literature. Caspian might also get Caspian Sea associations, but I think it's a legitimate enough name not to get side-eyed. 

I just looked on ourbabynamer.com and Castiel was used 122 times in 2012, Caspian was used 55 times, and Ryder was used 3,781 times on boys and 108 times on girls. 
    image image

• @mj.reilly  wow I'm an idiot just ignore me lol. gotta love pregnancy brain.

@mh89 I legit creepy internet love you for doing some research for me ;) I thought Caspian had to be way more common because I see it on a lot of baby sites/ suggestions.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I love

seamus

Gideon

Gabriel

gianluca

• I just feel like everyone is going to associate any name with something. Like Jasper is a ghost and Felix is a cat, but both are very cute and acceptable names. I like Finley a lot, but DF tends to think any name ending in ley are girls names. :(

Yeah, I can associate almost every name brought up on this board with something else... but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Usually a name with 0 associations is made-up or completely obscure. Unless a name has a very strong negative reaction from most people (Hitler, Nixon, Voldemort lol, etc.) then it's usually fine to use.

The name I'm using for DD2 is unique and has a strong Lord of the Rings association, it got a mixed reaction from the boards, but my husband and I love it enough that we're still using it. We know that not everyone will love it, but we find the association very positive personally. I think that's the difference between choosing a popular name and a unique name though, popular names are usually more universally liked. Except Nevaeh. ;) 

I associate both Jasper and Felix with Twilight lol. I love both names despite that though. 
    image image

• I agree with the previous poster that Ryder will be really popular and then really dated. I kinda lump it in with Hudson and Jackson. Here are some names from my list. They're all legit, but some of them are super obscure.

Aloysius (Louie)
    Ambrose
    Ari
    August/Augustus
    Boaz
    Calum
    Cassius
    Cavan
    Devin
    Donovan
    Eamonn
    Easton
    Emmanuel
    Errol
    Esias
    Evren
    Griffin
    Ignatius
    Julien
    Marinus
    Mateus
    Nicodemus (Nico)
    Otto
    Ronan
    Shander
    Soren
    Walker
    Zaccharias
    Zephyr

• Alasdair Evander Callum Jonah Lachlan Griffin
    **TW** TTC History
    TTC#3 since Nov 2020 at ages 35 & 39
    TTC#1 - 2 IVF cycles, 4 transfers, 2 miscarriages (LC age 4)
    TTC#2 - a very welcome surprise without intervention (LC age 2)

• I love Sebastian and would have suggested it but that is my boss' son.

Other names I loved but didn't get to use: Declan, Finn, Seamus, Elliott, Tate, Franklin, Shaun, and Kaius.

Declan, Finn, and Kaius are def my style. Do you all think Finley is a boy or a girl name?
    Finley feels a bit feminine to me but maybe Finnian? I honestly think Finley could truly go either way like Kelly and Stacey.
  • Brooks, Wilder, Ari and Hayes are a few unusual boys names that haven't been mentioned yet. I like Declan, Finn, Archer also!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • My boys are Xander and Jericho, you don't hear them everyday.

photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
  • bethy84 said:
    My boys are Everett and Callum.  My list for this time currently has:
    Finnegan, Rory, Archer, Finley, Thaddeus, Griffin, Forrest, Sebastian, Porter, Fletcher, Rowan, Flynn
    Finnegan is an amazing name that you hear very rarely!!
    Natural M/C 03.26.2012 at 10w2d
    Charlotte born at 28w3d due to severe IUGR on 12.24.2012 Merry Christmas!
    Missed M/C discovered 12.22.2014 at 8w1d measuring 6w3d
    2015 was a year to test strength of both body and character, but it led us to this... BFP 01.26.2016 EDD 9.30.2016
  • We like old man names, which are less common.

I finally got my hubby off Oswald, and as you can see, we're going with Ozzy for our little boy.

Other names that were on our list:
    Dean
    Alistair
    Walter (walt)
    Garrison
    Jamison
    Theodore
    Grant
    Ulysses (one of my fave presidents!)
    Yuri

Good luck!
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

Jacob & Audra - married since 05.28.11
    Emma Kate - born 10.16.03 @ 29 weeks, weighed 1lb 13oz and 13.5" long.
    Ozzy Joseph - born 11.01.13 @ 31 weeks, weighed 3lbs 7oz and 16" long.
    TTC #3
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

• My boys are Desmond and Simon :-)
    imageimage

• Well, I'm partial to Waylon myself...

I also really like Arlo, Cassius, Cosimo, and Bruno.
    Anniversary 
  • Just adding to one of your comments--I love the name Castiel!
    FORMERLY NADCHAEL.

VOTE on my Name List
  • My DS is Evander.
        image  image

• nadchael said:

Just adding to one of your comments--I love the name Castiel!

Thanks @nadchael
    Just wondering are you a supernatural fan or do you just like it? Because I just like it but it seems that everyone who likes it are just fans.. Just curious

Pregnancy Ticker
    Thanks @nadchael Just wondering are you a supernatural fan or do you just like it? Because I just like it but it seems that everyone who likes it are just fans.. Just curious
    @Ansleyturner I like it, but I'm on Season 4, so I was just introduced to Castiel.
    FORMERLY NADCHAEL.

VOTE on my Name List
    Thanks @nadchael Just wondering are you a supernatural fan or do you just like it? Because I just like it but it seems that everyone who likes it are just fans.. Just curious
    btw - I don't watch Supernatural and I like it. :)

I also wanted to add the name Grant, if it hasn't been mentioned yet. 
    image image

• Alaric, Atlas, Roscoe, and Otto.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • (Without looking at PP posts)

Atticus

Ambrose

Byron

Marcus

Julian

Sullivan

Otto

Hugo

Igantius

Carmine

Leander

Cormac

Eamonn

Llewellyn

Beauregard

Walt

Sebastian

Jude

Niles

Brooks

Truman

Booker

Arlo

Aldo

Frederick

Xavier

Basil

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I really loved Rowan for my DS but DH nixed it. It came down to Milo, Lane, and Archer. Milo won :)

Danica 10.22.10 | Milo 12.23.12

PicMonkey Collage3

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"