Pregnant after 35
Options

Any first-time pregnancies in late 30s/early 40s?

This is my first pregnancy - at 39. It is nothing short of a miracle. I have had mild PCOS since age 23, very irregular periods, and to top it all off, my husband and I were using a cervical cap plus spermicide. And yet, here I am pregnant for the first time at 39. I'm wondering how others are taking it? I'm excited, but it's been really hard to adjust for me as years ago I accepted I was never going to have children and made my life about other things (most of which I will have to cut back on or give up entirely). I'm also pretty nervous about giving birth for the first time when I will almost be 40! I've heard it's harder for first-time moms who are older. Any thoughts?

Re: Any first-time pregnancies in late 30s/early 40s?

• Options
    Congratulations! I got pregnant for the first time at 41 and just gave birth in April at 42 to a healthy baby boy. My pregnancy went well, although the delivery was a bit of a mess and I ended up with a c-section. If you exercise, eat well, and get your rest, you will sail through!
    Over-40 parents...what we lack in vigor, we make up for with cunning.
  • Options
    I am also pregnant for the first time and I just turned 41. I am excited, too, but the whole concept is still very surreal to me. I stopped birth control about 8 months ago and my husband I decided we would not go to any extreme measures trying to conceive, more of an "if it happens, it happens" kind of thing. I guess I just started to think it was very unlikely to happen, but here we are!  I think I will be more excited when I get through the first trimester testing and also when I can actually share the news with more people. I am only 8 weeks and want to wait until end of September to spread the word. Only my mom knows right now (and she is ecstatic). I understand about wondering how the life change adjustments will work out -- it really is quite overwhelming. I feel like my husband and I have been so set in our ways and our lifestyle and schedules for so many years on our own. But, we will learn!! I'm also freaked out at giving birth by the way! How many weeks are you?
    imageimagePregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am not late 30's (will be 36 in Sept) but this is the first for both DH (41) and I.  I have been going between nervous and excited.  One of the first things DH mentioned after the bfp was he was worried that anything would be wrong with the baby because of our AMA.  That kind of sapped the excitement out of it and put it into reality.  I have my first appointment next week and I know the next few weeks there will be more, but I am looking to get past those as quickly as possible so I can finally breathe.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Yep - 42 years old and will give birth when I am 43. 
  • Options
    I had my first child at 42 after a trouble-free pregnancy.  Have fun and don't let doctors with textbook concerns about AMA get you down!
  • Options
    Me too - Pregnant at 41 for the first time, and will deliver when I am 42. So exciting, but scary also.  I just hope I have enough energy to keep up with the little guy!
  • Options

39 and this is our first.  We chose to travel, buy a house, renovate, travel more...before we decided to have children.  I'm concerned about stamina, keeping up with a little one but I'm confident in our decision to wait.  Good Luck!

Me 39, DH 40. Married on 9/18/2010 and have been TTC since. IVF # 1-7/13/2012, 15 retreived, 6 fertilized, 2 transferred, 4 frozen. BFP Natural MC 9/10 IVF#2, FET - 12/3/201 2 - 3 transferred, BFP! Natural MC 12/25/2012 IFV #3, 2/27/2013 - 3 transferred, BFP! TWINS!!! Loss of one twin 3/20/13.One sticky hanging on!Pregnancy%20ticker
    imageimage

• Options
    Congratulations! 38 and due in December.

Pregnancy Ticker

Anniversary

(Always in our hearts baby Erwan 22/03/11. 22w + 5d)

• Options
    SummerLeahSummerLeah member
    edited August 2013

Congratulations!  I will be 37 when our baby is born and it is our first, too. 

My husband and I changed are minds about 2 years ago and are looking forward to our little one.  I can't say I'm not nervous about adjusting, but I know it will be worth it!

• Options
    First viable pregnancy at 36, will be 37 when I deliver. Didn't meet husband til 34 and glad for everything the way it has turned out! Excited but have normal anxiety about childbirth. I eat very healthy and exercise so not that concerned about age! We want 3 so we will see how it goes...a bit concerned about stamina in terms of keeping up with little ones but will keep in best shape possible! I swear by green smoothies...try it if you feel sluggish! :)
  • Options
    38 and due in January!

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Congratulations! I've had several losses and this is my first successful pregnancy at age 40. I will be 41 just 3 months after she is born. I think it's normal to have the age related fears but I find that when you focus your mind on staying positive your body follows. Honestly I've heard many many stories of AMA moms who had great pregnancies and births with no complications or additional difficulties. I think you just have to let go of the fear and enjoy your miracle. As for all the adjustments and changes coming, becoming a parent is an adjustment at any age, you will be fine. You might be amazed how easy it is to give up some things when you see your beautiful little baby looking up at you and your heart melts. :)
    Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.
  • Options
    I am 38, a FTM due 12/5. We have struggled with the life change as well, but the one piece of advice my best guy friend gave us was "adapt the baby to your life, not your life to the baby." He said while the 1st year is the hardest you still need to do the things you love otherwise you and baby will be miserable. Seeing he and his wife with their child and having that conversation is what made us decide to go ahead and have a baby. We had been on the fence before that. But now we are so excited to be parents!
  • Options
    I'm 41 and a FTM. We have wanted kids but had a bit of a laissez faire attitude about it-- we didn't pursue IUI or IVF, though we probably would have looked into adoption if things hadn't happened the way they did. I chose a doctor who has a lot of experience with older moms, and in my area (Metrowest Boston), it's not THAT unusual to be 40-ish and a FTM. While he will monitor me more closely later in the pregnancy, and I had MaterniT21 done because of my age, I'm not considered higher risk. While I may not have the energy/stamina of a younger mom, I have more financial stability than I would have 15 years ago, so hopefully I can get help/outsource some household stuff if I need to. I have tried to sty active and exercise, too, as I have heard that can help with recovery. Like you, I have activities that I'll have to cut back or give up, and my priorities will have to change. I am worried about this, but on the other hand, I feel like I'm not missing out as much because I had some great experiences. Good luck!
    photo canthearyou_zpsae132d4c.jpg
  • Options
    I was 37 after trying for 4 years.  Dealt with gestational diabetes then hypertension, emergency c section at 34 weeks, tumor removal transfusion as well.  Felt like it kicked my butt and was a bit of a recovery after but just so grateful for my precious little angel.  He wanted to try right away again but I was like whoa let's hold up there fella.  I need to work on my health some but definitely want to try again. 
  • Options
    I just turned 41 two weeks ago and am lovingly 11 weeks pregnant after TTC for 5 years. Yes, I'm nervous, but I'm excited. Yesterday I just provided blood for my two non invasive screenings - the NT and the cell free DNA test. As an FYI I was diagnosed with Adenomyosis last year and after removing the masses, I became pregnant.

• Options
    Im am not late 30's (I'm 35) but this is my first.
  • Options
    First timer and I just turned 36 a month ago.

Melissa

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I am 39 and was shocked when my husband and I finally decided to officially start trying (we've been married only a year and a half) - and it worked the first time! I just assumed that at my age it would be difficult. I am almost 5 weeks along. So this will be a big adjustment for us, but every day I wake up so excited!!!
  • Options
    Delivered my first at age 40 (natural birth, no complications) and am now 10 weeks pregnant with a sort-of-surprise 2nd at 41!  Being pregnant is harder this time around, as I have a full time job and a 14 month old to keep up with, but I'm pretty excited for her to have a sib.  We will do as much testing as we need to for genetic abnormalities, etc... and won't tell anyone else until about the 15th week, but we're staying positive and hopeful.  The life style changes are hard - my husband and I met later in life and have crammed a lot into our first few years of marriage, so adding children to the mix just makes for even more change.  
  • Options
    cwallin500cwallin500 member
    edited August 2013
    I hate the term AMA !  Talk about making someone feel old LOL.  I had my first at 37, breezed through the pregnancy and healthy, albeit long natural delivery.   My doctor actually scheduled an induction on my due date because of my AMA.  When I got to the hospital the on call doctor looked at me like I was crazy when I told her that was why I was there - I wasn't even 1 cm dialated.  2 days of Cytotec and Pitocen and they finally had to break my water !   I have so many friend/family these days that are having their first after 37, its almost becoming a norm.   We're hoping for a second one by the time I'm 40 - it'll keep us young, right ?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    First timer here as well I am 42 and due February 4th. I am excited and terrified and emotional but overall doing well. If anyone else says Advanced Maternal Age to me they might just get a swift kick in the shins haha.

This pregnancy was unexpected but we are slowly letting the idea sink in. Life changes are most definitely ahead for us all and I am nervous about that since I am a very independent person. I'm guessing priorities change and we will all settle in just fine with the support of friends, family and the bump :)
  • Options
    I'm 47 and 18 weeks - both me and DH are delighted this is first for both of us. It was a long journey to get this far with loses along the way but wiorth every moment to have achieved this gift.
    We have anatomy scan next week so will known then if boy or girl. We really don't mind which but to know will slow us to theme the nursery.
  • Options
    I'm 38 and will be a FTM next April, after going through IUI and ultimately IVF.  I'm nearly 23 weeks along and showing quite a bit but it still feels pretty unreal for me:  "Is there really a baby in there?"  I went for SO long thinking this would never happen!
  • Options
    I am also 39 will be 40 in Feb. EDD is June 19.

Yup very nervous but so happy. Mixed emotions.

I have alway wanted to have a child. Thought I would sooner than 40 but things sometimes just don't work out the way you think.

I had a MMC back in feb so of course I am paranoid now.

Congrats!!!!!!

Me (40) DH (42).......Married 7/1/11......TTC 12/2013.......BFP #1 12/30/12........EDD 9/8/13
    Spotting,clot 2/15/13 all ok......2/21/13 no heartbeat 11 w 4 d missed miscarriage........2/22/13 DnC :(
    BFP # 2 10.10.13...........EDD 6.19.14

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    I am pregnant with my first and I am 37.  Got pregnant very easily once we started "trying".  Happy that it feels like it was meant to be and the timing is "right" (whatever that means right?)  LOL  
    Very excited.  Not sure if we should find out the sex of the baby or not.
  • Options
    Not all that old, but still a bit older than the avg. first time mom with my first...I had my now-3-year-old when I was 35; DH was 40. I think some things are harder but some are easier too so it balances out. Yes I feel tired and it can some days be hard to keep up and that sort of thing. However, I am settled in a good, steady job that is my career with good pay and benefits, settled in a home in a good neighborhood, look at a lot of aspects of parenting perhaps more calmly and rationally given the perspective of some extra years, and have shall we say gotten a lot out of my system prior to having kids. While it is still an adjustment to not have so much time to myself, or sleep, it is not like I am dying to go party with friends or anything. Congratulations, good luck, and don't be too worried over age alone!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Hi all.  Brand new to the boards.  Only about 5 weeks pregnant. We found out right before my 37th birthday.  DH is 38, and this will be our first! Through the roof excited! 
  • Options
    First time pregnant at 39. TTC for only 5 months, so it was a lovely surprise to get the BFP so quickly. Never thought I'd only just be a mother at 40. Just hope we both get there safe and sound, got a long way to go.
  • Options
    Just turned 41 and my first is due in May. DH is only 34 so he'll still have some energy to run after the kiddo. We're over the moon excited.
    Me:PCOS, fibroids DH: no issues 
    TTC for 3 years. IVF #1 in Jan 12 - severe OHSS; miscarriage at 11 weeks
    2 myomectomies and 6 hysteroscopies in 2012 and 2013.
    FET in Aug 2013 BFP

• Options
    Hello I am 39 and am expecting my first! I am happy and thrilled and terrified all at the same time!
  • Options
    I'm 37 and expecting my first! I'm due in June! We are soooo excited!!!
  • Options
    I had a miscarriage at 34. We had our first at 36 now I'm 37 and I'm now pregnant hopefully with our second. I'm hoping and praying. It is scary! But my sister just had one at 43 so that gives me hope that I have good genes :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    WorcbrideWorcbride member
    edited December 2013
    I actually thought it was easier being an older mom--I wouldn't have had the patience to do all this in my 20s :-)  I don't get hung up on the little things which I think I would've had I had my kids younger.  We tried for quite a while before having our 2 so I feel like I appreciate them in a much different way.  Best wishes to you and congrats!  (I had my daughter at 38 and son at 40)
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I love this post!  I delivered my first at 39 and will deliver my second in august at 41.  I think its important to look at the big picture when saying whether some things are harder.  Physically I think some things were... but on the other hand DH and I keep saying we couldn't imagine having kids any earlier.  A lot of things are easier for us because we are not trying to build a career, we are financially stable etc.....

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'll be a FTM at 39 next Aug/Sept. Just celebrated our 1st anniversary this month and looking forward to starting a family, but a bit nervous, too .
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    i'm 38, only at 15 wks and will become ftm in June. happy things are going well after a bit of trying and miscarriages and thyroid graves disease. just happy to have the chance... nervous until after we get 19 wk ultrasound to make sure brain & spine/etc development is good, but things have checked out normal so far. glad to hear so many success stories, keeps spirits high.
  • Options
    38, will deliver when I'm 39. DH and I have been married well over a decade. Hadn't tried before, but decided we were ready for a new life adventure.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"