Baby Showers

Book Instead of Card Wording?

I'm sure this has been posted a million times, but the SEARCH function isn't working. ?Do any of you have a cute way to word in the invitation to bring a children's book in lieu of a card? ?TIA!
Claire Avery born at 32 weeks on 10/25/06 Keira Leigh born at 27 weeks on 4/29/08

Re: Book Instead of Card Wording?

• Loading the player...
  • It is also a board to share opinions, I shared with you mine. Sorry we don't agree on the tackiness level of this. I have seen it done before, but like money trees, having guests address their own thank you envelopes, etc, it does not mean it is any less tacky.

Now throw on those big girl panties and take it like a woman...

A lot of years and a million tears finally led me to you.
    After 7 years trying to concieve, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs, my third IVF was a success!
    My Christmas baby turned into a turkey bird! Dillon Richard was born at 34 weeks, 5 days on November 28, 2009 after 10 weeks on bedrest for preeclampsia.
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v705/arriinthere/PJ/?action=view
  • I'm usually one to stick with proper etiquette but the book instead of a card thing I don't see a problem with.  It is not like the guest is forking out any extra money since I don't know of many cards that are less than $1 (at the $ store) and most are much more than that.  You can find a book at the $ store for that amount and sometimes 2 for a dollar. 

I do think it is difficult to "write" a sentiment in the book since the card would be to the mother-to-be not the baby and if you wrote that in a book it would sound weird.  KWIM?

• please bring a baby book instead of a card...i have this at my shower and cant wait to see the books!!!
  • One small request that won't be too hard 
    Please bring a book instead of a card 
    Whether Cat in the Hat or Winnie the Pooh 
    You can sign the inside cover with a note from you 
    Baby will become very smart, if my advice you do heed 
    If we begin early, he'll soon love to read

We used this poem for my shower. We printed this out on the back of a label so that everyone could write a little message for the baby and then stick that on the book. People seemed to like this more than getting a card that lets face it, would be thrown out eventually. Not that I was looking, but we did see on the back of many of the books that they cost at most $2.00. Most baby related cards are much more than that.

• The wording that was used was:  

I want to be a bright child,

As smart as I can be. 

That is why I am hoping

My Mom & Dad will read to me.

If you plan to bring a card

Please take another look

I would like to learn my ABCs

From your favorite storybook.

I think its a great idea and who says it has to be a brand new book? You can find new and used ones in good condition at yard sales and flea markets all the time. I thought of it as a wishing well but for a baby shower and I don't mind spending a little more for something sweet and special. I still gave a card too anyway. BTW, I wish there was some other rhyme or poem to ask for a book, without of "insted of a card".  

• That's the most childish thing i've read. A book costs as little as a dollar but will not only teach your child but is great for bonding time with baby. My little one 2.5 not only knows all her letters and numbers but can read 2 and 3 letter words because my guests didn't purposely say screw reading here a card.
  • Just saying your rude.

• iv baby i get it you have plenty of money to buy books or just buy the grade later

• I'm so glad you posted this, I wanted to do the same on my invites but couldn't remember any poems either.  Don't listen to those that say this is greedy, I think this is a very common practice these days and that it is showing that you are interested in the education of your child. I hope you get lots of books for your baby :)
  • imagedanilynn17:
    imageMelleTX:

If the idea of building your child's library is important to you, then register for books or even let a friend throw you a Baby's Library Shower. Or if friends/family ask what you need, tell them you want to build up the baby's library.

Or buy your own damn books.  It's not your friends and family's responsibility to provide everything you want for your child.

Loling at the AEs.  If you don't have the balls to say what you're saying under your real ID, then I give what you have to say absolutely zero weight.

I'm just waiting for someone to start asking if it's ok to registery for school supplies or a service that supplies bag lunches for when their kids start school. 

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• imageLiz4444:

I'm just waiting for someone to start asking if it's ok to registery for school supplies or a service that supplies bag lunches for when their kids start school. 

Or maybe something where you can prepay for little Johnny's school lunch for X days! Or his soccer uniform!  I envision a honeymoon-registry type deal, lol.

• imagedanilynn17:
    imageMelleTX:

If the idea of building your child's library is important to you, then register for books or even let a friend throw you a Baby's Library Shower. Or if friends/family ask what you need, tell them you want to build up the baby's library.

Or buy your own damn books.  It's not your friends and family's responsibility to provide everything you want for your child.

Loling at the AEs.  If you don't have the balls to say what you're saying under your real ID, then I give what you have to say absolutely zero weight.

Oh damn. Did I waste my weekly logical post on AEs? I should know better than that.

Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • imageMelleTX:
    imagedanilynn17:
    imageMelleTX:

Oh damn. Did I waste my weekly logical post on AEs? I should know better than that.

Logic tends to be wasted a lot here, don't feel bad.

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• imageejray1:

People saying it is tacky and rude to ask for a book instead of a card is ridiculous. The whole concept of a shower should be considered greedy then. Think about it, it's called a shower because you are throwing a party for people to "shower" you with presents.

Everyone gets excited to "shower" you with gifts because they WANT to help out and get you what you want and need for the baby. Who ever thinks it's tacky or not right to ask for a book are the real greed mongers because they are too stingy and selfish to spend $4.99 on a book for their friend's/family member's child.

I think everyone is missing the point of the shower.... I think it's a great idea, especially since it is obviously NOT mandatory. For my shower, we added a raffle drawing for everyone who did bring a book and the person who won the raffle got a prize. It made another shower game out of it all.

If you are throwing a shower for yourself, then yes, having a shower is considered greedy.  The shower is also a gift given to you from someone else. 

All we are saying is don't dictate the gifts given to you. Whether that gift is $4.99 or $499.00, it's the same thing, just because something is less expensive doesn't make it less polite to say "give me, give me".    

• imageASnow512:
    Wow! Why even be on these message boards if you're just going to treat excited new moms like that? We're just excited about planning our showers! You are definitely welcome to your opinion about whether or not something is tacky and welcome to post your opinion, but you could be a bit kinder when stating it. 

How, per se, would you tell someone that dictating exactly what you want your guests to bring you is tacky as hell, more kindly?  

"Dear Madam,

Perhaps you need a reminder that, while you may think otherwise, the world does not actually revolve around you.  Your guests are being perfectly generous on their own and do not need you to dictate every last detail of their gift-giving. If you would like books for your child, I respectfully insist you either register for them, sign up for a library card or buy them yourself.  While your friends and family may not say it to your overly hormonal face, telling them to buy you more stuff on top of the gifts they are already purchasing is tacky as hell. 

With much more respect than you're showing your guests,

BallSox"  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • imageMelleTX:

It has nothing to do with how much money a card costs versus a book. It's not the amount of money you spend on a gift, it's the thought that goes into the gift that counts.

What makes this new trend tacky is that you are specifying what kind of gift your guests should buy which is in very poor taste. Your guests are grown women and are smart enough to purchase their own thoughtful gifts without your help.

And before you say "If they don't want to do it, they don't have to," no, they don't. But most will because they don't want to be the only one not to follow along. Just because women do it doesn't make it any less tacky.

However, the guests at your shower should be the ones to decide what kind of gift they bring. You may not tell them or even politely ask them to bring you something specific. Because then, it really isn't a gift anymore.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but doesn't having a "registry" in turn specify what you are asking your guests to purchase as a gift??

• imageamanda.scott03:
    imageMelleTX:

It has nothing to do with how much money a card costs versus a book. It's not the amount of money you spend on a gift, it's the thought that goes into the gift that counts.

What makes this new trend tacky is that you are specifying what kind of gift your guests should buy which is in very poor taste. Your guests are grown women and are smart enough to purchase their own thoughtful gifts without your help.

And before you say "If they don't want to do it, they don't have to," no, they don't. But most will because they don't want to be the only one not to follow along. Just because women do it doesn't make it any less tacky.

However, the guests at your shower should be the ones to decide what kind of gift they bring. You may not tell them or even politely ask them to bring you something specific. Because then, it really isn't a gift anymore.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but doesn't having a "registry" in turn specify what you are asking your guests to purchase as a gift??

A registry is a list of things you would like and that you intend on purchasing no matter what.  If people would like to pick something from that list, they can, if they want to buy you something else, they can do that to.  A registry is not a demand to other people.

• imageella.mabel:

I think it's a great idea. Most greeting cards are 3.99 = price of a paperback.  I don't have the exact wording, but i've seen it said like "In lieu of a greeting card, please consider donating a book to help start Baby Smith's library." and they enclosed a book plate with the shower invite.  I've never found it to be tacky and shows that the family values reading.

I buy almost all of my cards at the dollar store.  They are always very cute and are 2 for $1.   And it's asking for yet another gift.

• This is a great idea! And I wonderful way to grow the love for reading. I've seen it done a million times and it is one of the best ideas. Greeting cards get thrown away and for an extra dollar or two you can sign the inside of a book and keep it for years to come. I'm doing the same for my daughters first b-day! 
  • To paraphrase an annoying song:

"This is the thread that just won't end.." 

Register for books if you want people to buy them. Don't be greedy and expect a gift on top of a gift. See the other 10billion posts on this topic to see why.  

red

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageash1522:
    This is a great idea! And I wonderful way to grow the love for reading. I've seen it done a million times and it is one of the best ideas. Greeting cards get thrown away and for an extra dollar or two you can sign the inside of a book and keep it for years to come. I'm doing the same for my daughters first b-day! 

seriously, you dug through 6 months of posts to dig THIS up?  

He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • So much for love and understanding. Are we not all adults here? Isn't this a safe place for questions and answers and concerns? So some are more creative than others, so what?

I think asking for a book instead of a card is a great idea. I work at an independent bookstore in Metro Detroit. I can tell you personally that childrens' books really are not expensive. They are the same price as a card from Meijer, unless you go to the dollar store, then depending on the dollar store you might be spending more or less than your one dollar.

Basically, it depends on your perspective. Buy a book and write a note, or don't. Buy a card that has all your feelings written inside lined with a silly amount of glitter and a piece of ribbon that doesn't express anything personal from you. Or don't. Create your own card. Write your own book. Or don't.

There really is no need to get all finicky about who's cheap and tacky here, ladies. If it works for you and what you want, awesome. If not, no worries, because its not my problem.

Want, don't want. Do, don't do. Mommies and Ladies don't have to be rude. It's childish. Honestly.

• imagepsychoticline:

So much for love and understanding. Are we not all adults here? Isn't this a safe place for questions and answers and concerns? So some are more creative than others, so what?

I think asking for a book instead of a card is a great idea. I work at an independent bookstore in Metro Detroit. I can tell you personally that childrens' books really are not expensive. They are the same price as a card from Meijer, unless you go to the dollar store, then depending on the dollar store you might be spending more or less than your one dollar.

Basically, it depends on your perspective. Buy a book and write a note, or don't. Buy a card that has all your feelings written inside lined with a silly amount of glitter and a piece of ribbon that doesn't express anything personal from you. Or don't. Create your own card. Write your own book. Or don't.

There really is no need to get all finicky about who's cheap and tacky here, ladies. If it works for you and what you want, awesome. If not, no worries, because its not my problem.

Want, don't want. Do, don't do. Mommies and Ladies don't have to be rude. It's childish. Honestly.

Mom? Since when did you own a bookstore?  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"