Baby Showers

Book Instead of Card Wording?

Re: Book Instead of Card Wording?

• dojo1dojo1 member

Hr,mm.. There's a lot of first time posters on this thread... Or perhaps one ultra pathetic person making several aes to appear as though her position has garnered some support.

I mean honestly, isn't this board notorious for being full of snarky, holier-than-thou etiquette police?  Jeeze!  You'd the that people would know by now that the card/book issue doesn't go over well.  Andplusalso, where are people buying five dollar effing cards?!   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageSherbet Lemon:

To paraphrase an annoying song:

"This is the thread that just won't end.." 

Register for books if you want people to buy them. Don't be greedy and expect a gift on top of a gift. See the other 10billion posts on this topic to see why.  

It just goes on and on my friend.  Some people started posting it not knowing what it was, and then continued posting it forever just because... 

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• Loading the player...
  • How is requesting books any different from registering for exactly what you want? As a teacher I think it is a brilliant idea and I plan on doing it for my shower.
  • imagelshowers9:
    How is requesting books any different from registering for exactly what you want? As a teacher I think it is a brilliant idea and I plan on doing it for my shower.

As a teacher, I have already bought my own child a ton of books and understand the value of a library card. 

There is zero difference between registering for books as well as everything else you would need but there is a huge difference between registering and saying "Oh yeah, and on top of that list of other stuff I want, buy me a book." 

Registry = "Here's a list of stuff I'm going to buy myself if you want an idea of what I would like, however, it's really just a suggestion if you're struggling for an idea."

"Please give me a book instead of a card" = "Let's just be honest, I'm going to throw your card away so why don't you just spend a couple extra dollars and buy me a book to go with the present you're already buying because I want a book and obviously if you don't, you don't care about my baby's education, you selfish prat."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • Considering that most cards are about the price of a small child's book (or a dollar or two more) I don't see who this is being greedy. Most everyone I have talked to about this thought that is was  a wonderful idea because they got to give the baby their favorite book as a child.
  • Well said!!!!!
  • imagemayowife:

I can't take credit for any of this... but I've saved a lot of info along that way:

Although cards are nice with their sentiment
    and prayer,
    They're read once or twice then tucked away
    with care.
    A book is a treasure, words and pictures unite
    Read over and over to teach and delight.
    So instead of a card for Baby and
    mother,
    Please give a child's book with your thoughts in the cover.
    Your book will be cherished; God will watch from above,
    When it's read they will remember your
    kindness and love.

We can't wait to see you at the shower
    When (mom-to-be's name) will be the woman of the hour
    We have one request we hope isn't too hard
    Please sign your name to a book instead of a card
    Then mom and dad will be ready when the baby arrives
    To read to their darling for the rest of their lives

As (Mother-to-be's name) due date is coming near,
    We're inviting friends and family dear.
    To choose a favorite story or fairy tale
    That you would like Baby ________ to hear.
    Instead of a card, please let (mother-to-be's name)look,
    At your special choice of a book,
    and then to Baby _________ she will read
    With all the love a newborn will need.
    So with a personal touch, please choose a book
    And in it then your name do put.
    It need not cost more than a card
    Just pick a favorite, it shouldn't be hard.

I want to be a bright child
    As smart as I can be.
    That is why I'm hoping
    My mom will read to me.
    If you plan to bring a card
    Please take another look,
    I would like to learn my ABC's
    From your favorite storybook.
    Please sign your name
    As your personal touch.
    Baby ________ thanks you
    Beary, beary much.

Just one last request, and we hope it's not hard
    Please bring baby a book in place of a card
    By signing your book, we will remember and share
    Your special gift, even when you're not there!

See if someone is asking me to bring a nice book like this, it ain't gonna be some 3.99 crap or a book from the dollar store. You are asking for another gift and it is beyond rude.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • @ BallSox:  Not really sure why I feel the need to get in the middle of this one, but you are really out of line.  I'm fairly certain the beginning question was about wording for a shower invite....not how can we tell this woman that she is an idiot for even thinking of doing this?!?  Also, how do we know that this woman that originally posted the question is having the shower for herself?!  I don't see how the new mom to be is rude for asking for books at her shower, when half the time it is not even her giving the shower.  Something tells me you will have something rude and ignorant to say and that is fine (hurt people hurt people and judging by your profile you have had quite a few hardships) because that is what you do to probably more people in one day than you can count on your hands.  So it is completely acceptable for you to have your opinion, but to be so rude on a question it sounds like you have nothing constructive to say if probably part of your personality...and for that I feel sorry for you.

• imagemrspeppers31:

@ BallSox:  Not really sure why I feel the need to get in the middle of this one, but you are really out of line.  I'm fairly certain the beginning question was about wording for a shower invite....not how can we tell this woman that she is an idiot for even thinking of doing this?!?  Also, how do we know that this woman that originally posted the question is having the shower for herself?!  I don't see how the new mom to be is rude for asking for books at her shower, when half the time it is not even her giving the shower.  Something tells me you will have something rude and ignorant to say and that is fine (hurt people hurt people and judging by your profile you have had quite a few hardships) because that is what you do to probably more people in one day than you can count on your hands.  So it is completely acceptable for you to have your opinion, but to be so rude on a question it sounds like you have nothing constructive to say if probably part of your personality...and for that I feel sorry for you.

First of all, ouch.  You have hurt me on a level to which I have never been hurt before.  This, of course, means now I have to continue my senseless rampage of hurting other people, but I get to do it in your honor.  I'm sure the last person who hurt me is relieved to find out that they are no longer to blame for the hatred spewing forth from my fingers. 

Secondly, I have nothing on my profile, so I don't know what you're talking about. 

Thirdly, I don't hurt more people than I have fingers on my hands.  How do you know that I don't deal with polydactylism?  It's kind of small minded of you to assume that I only have 10 fingers, isn't it?

Fourthly, I am incredibly honored.  Not only have you been a member of the bump for over a year and never posted before this post, but you chose ME as an attempt to publicly shame someone.  Out of all of the people in this post who commented on how tacky this request is, you chose me---little old me---to try and change.  I---I---I have no words!

Well, since a picture is worth a thousand words, I'll express myself through film. 

He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • I guess you didn't see above where I said I don't post on forums because of folks like BallSox.  I know you can see when I started just like I can see when you started and when BallSox started and when everyone else started (it's not my first time on the web or this site for that matter).  I was merely stating that in order to speak her opinion she didn't have to be so rude as do you.  Thank you though for jumping in and giving me your two cents on just how wrong I was.

• imagemrspeppers31:

You are absolutely right...I have been a member for a lil over a year because my baby is almost a year old (good investigative work) and I have never posted because of people like you.  The items I was referring to on your profile (excuse me I meant signature line although I am fairly certain it shows up on your profile as well) was....

Little Man (2 years old---holy cow)
    Yes, he's mine. Yes, he's aware I'm a horrible mother. Yes, I plan on teaching him to act just like me.
    No, CPS hasn't come to rescue him yet.
    Yes, I'll make sure to let him know how sorry you feel for him.

I do feel sorry for him....and hope that my lil one never comes in contact with either of you.  I did choose you and I am honored that you are honored.  I'm not sure why you take acting like a *** as such an honor, but it is a sad day for this world when mothers like you pass down traits and behaviors like your own.

You can reply whatever you want (because we all know you will it seems to be the only thing you do Ms Gold Poster) I don't really care.  I have a feeling most others that read this thread will agree with me that it is people like you that make forums like this nothing more than a breeding ground for hate.  I hope for the rest of your sad little life you continue to get a kick out of being rude, mean, and hateful....it seems to be all you have.

If thinking I'm a horrible mom helps you feel better about ourself, then, by all means, go ahead. You are right, our kids will probably never meet and it's probably better that way.  He's got better things to do like getting his next tat or making a shiv out of his Lincoln logs. :eye roll:  

• imagemrspeppers31:

I guess you didn't see above where I said I don't post on forums because of folks like BallSox.  I know you can see when I started just like I can see when you started and when BallSox started and when everyone else started (it's not my first time on the web or this site for that matter).  I was merely stating that in order to speak her opinion she didn't have to be so rude as do you.  Thank you though for jumping in and giving me your two cents on just how wrong I was.

Hey hey hey... You're supposed to be bashing me.  I have self esteem issues here, I don't share the spotlight well.  

• imagemrspeppers31:

I guess you didn't see above where I said I don't post on forums because of folks like BallSox.  I know you can see when I started just like I can see when you started and when BallSox started and when everyone else started (it's not my first time on the web or this site for that matter).  I was merely stating that in order to speak her opinion she didn't have to be so rude as do you.  Thank you though for jumping in and giving me your two cents on just how wrong I was.

Hey hey hey... You're supposed to be bashing me.  I have self esteem issues here, I don't share the spotlight well.  

• Why the h3ll does this thread keep resurfacing?

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• imageLiz4444:

Why the h3ll does this thread keep resurfacing?

Because I'm evil apparently.  However, I amused at the way this thread turned.  

• Ballsox is the DEBIL!!!! 

I'm glad I'm going to end up in a place where I already have friends...

• What a sad and horrifying thread. I found it as I was searching for poems for a friends baby shower.  Cards are so easily thrown out or never read again. A book would be saved and read for years to come. I am not sure how is is being greedy? If I planned on spending $30 on the shower and saw this poem, then I would by a $25 gift and $5 book or something to that effect. People can just spend a little less on the main gift to buy the book. No one is telling anyone what to spend. 

The point is to receive a message from a friend or loved one in something that will be used and read in the future. It actually shows you care. Also, I would not be inviting anyone to a shower that would be so offended by this request or that would make the truly awful comments made here. 

I wonder how some of you are teaching your children to treat others with kindness and respect when you do not seem to have these values yourself....

• It may help to consider your shower guests when deciding to do this or not. If you know your family/guests would find it tacky, don't do it. My parents are divorced so I will be having two seperate showers. On one side of my family, I don't know how they would take it, so I'm not going to suggest it to the hostess. On the other side of my family, my sister did this and it was well recieved, so the hostess plans on doing it again for me.
  • imagelovinfall:

Anytime I get a note like that in the invite, I purposely buy a card.

I bet you are, like, so cool too!

• I am doing the same thing for my daughter's shower.  It is common in Michigan and it is not expected to be an expensive book.  It's a wonderful idea and one that the little one will cherish - especially with the message on the inside cover from the giver.

I'm continuing to look for wording on the invite as well.

• imageProudMom2063:

I am doing the same thing for my daughter's shower.  It is common in Michigan and it is not expected to be an expensive book.  It's a wonderful idea and one that the little one will cherish - especially with the message on the inside cover from the giver.

I'm continuing to look for wording on the invite as well.

So you're saying that a toddler will have a cheap book long enough to cherish it?  If you want your grandchild to have books, buy them for your grandkid.  If you have to say it with a poem, odds are, it's probably rude at it's core.

• wow krissy21 you are a ***

• imagemrsbrooksie:
    All of the negativity on this post makes me so sad. I love the thought of reading my child a special book and message from their great grandmother or dear friend long after they're gone. My sister and I recently found a book that my grandfather wrote inside for my mom when she was a baby...it's a keepsake and cherished. My husband and I set a budget for each shower/wedding we go to...if that means we find some really cute books and purchase multiple, it just means we spend less on the remaining pieces of the gift....a good budget fosters creativity. We have fun with it.

I totally agree.  So buy your own books, set them out at the shower and let everyone write in them.  Or buy a blank journal and have everyone write in it at the shower.  It's just rude to tell people "Hey---go buy me a book and write in it" 

• imageAly764:

I am on another pregnancy board talking about this FABULOUS idea and making fun of these impolite trashy b*tches on this board who find the need to come on here and make rude comments just to make themselves feel better about their own sh*tty lives. 

What people don't understand is, you're not throwing a shower for yourself, your family or friends are throwing it for you, asking your other family and friends to bring a little extra something. Like a wishing well, bringing something extra to a shower is a tradition that has been done for years, and if you have a good family and friends they would WANT to do something for you that you will enjoy.

Besides I'm pretty sure someone who has this in their profile "Yes, he's aware I'm a horrible mother. Yes, I plan on teaching him to act just like me. No, CPS hasn't come to rescue him yet. "Yes, I'll make sure to let him know how sorry you feel for him." 

...is the LAST person who should be calling anything "tacky" LMAO 

• LmloLmlo member
    So then I suppose a shower registry is poor taste as well? Since you shouldn't let people know what you and your baby need?
    Well..... Leave others alone and be happy with your ten nursing pillows and cards to go in the recycling! :D
    We'll take our practical things only ONE of each, conveniently and keep to ourselves :D
    boy, I bet YOU'RE a BLAST at get togethers :
  • imageLmlo:
    So then I suppose a shower registry is poor taste as well? Since you shouldn't let people know what you and your baby need? Well..... Leave others alone and be happy with your ten nursing pillows and cards to go in the recycling! :D We'll take our practical things only ONE of each, conveniently and keep to ourselves :D boy, I bet YOU'RE a BLAST at get togethers :

As if this hasn't been covered a million times on this board...

A registry is a list of things the parents intend to buy for themselves. It is only passed on to shower guests because a shower is a gift giving event. The mention of the location of a registry is a suggestion. Requesting guests spend more money on a book instead of a card is a mandate. And before anyone says the oft-repeated "but it's just a suggestion," none of the cutesy poems I have seen recommended make it sound optional in the slightest.

• I stumbled upon your response, and wanted to share how incredibly rude you are!  Since you felt you should share your opinion, I thought I would share mine! Take care!
  • I usually don't reply on forums but had to add my 2 cents because of how floored I am by peoples comments. My sister is having a shower and this is an idea that I found adorable. I did a google search for wording and this came up. For me, if I'm invited to a party I usually have a budget so if I'm going to spend 50 bucks I will build in the cost of a card (or book) into this. Its not about being greedy, or wanting more. Its about how now, at this point in my life I wish I could go into a box and find worn out books and upon opening them be filled with memories of sitting on my moms knee on a rocking chair as she read to me. About looking at a cover and knowing who was in my life before I waseven born and how strong their love for me was. How they wished all my dreams came true. How after some of them might be passed away I have a memory of them. A connection to them with their favorite book which they were wonderful enough to share with me. I don't have that box. But I hope that when my neices and nephews grow up they will have that with special memories of me. And timeless words to read when they're feeling lonely.
    Assholes.
  • Why won't this thread die??
    I usually don't reply on forums but had to add my 2 cents because of how floored I am by peoples comments. My sister is having a shower and this is an idea that I found adorable. I did a google search for wording and this came up. For me, if I'm invited to a party I usually have a budget so if I'm going to spend 50 bucks I will build in the cost of a card (or book) into this. Its not about being greedy, or wanting more. Its about how now, at this point in my life I wish I could go into a box and find worn out books and upon opening them be filled with memories of sitting on my moms knee on a rocking chair as she read to me. About looking at a cover and knowing who was in my life before I waseven born and how strong their love for me was. How they wished all my dreams came true. How after some of them might be passed away I have a memory of them. A connection to them with their favorite book which they were wonderful enough to share with me. I don't have that box. But I hope that when my neices and nephews grow up they will have that with special memories of me. And timeless words to read when they're feeling lonely. Assholes.

My "favorite" book would cost at least $15.  Sure I can go get a cheapo in a dollar bin somewhere, but that's not really a keepsake is it? 

This whole post is a load of crap.  I did like the juxtaposition of the overly flowery sentiments and the one word at the end. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Liz4444 said:

Why the h3ll does this thread keep resurfacing?

She works hard for the money! So hard for the money!

Thanks beary, beary much? At least a request that is supposedly about literacy should use correct grammar and words! Barf!

And who let all these BSC in? Ugh.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Here's my logic.
    1. A baby shower is a gift giving event.
    2. At gift giving events, a gift is anticipated.
    3. A card by itself is not a gift.
    Conclusion: I am going to a baby shower, so I need to get a gift that's not just a card.

With me so far? Here's the hard part.
    1. If I get a card, I also need to get a gift (see conclusion above)
    2. Books are requested INSTEAD of cards
    3. Books are gifts.
    Conclusion: MTB has requested TWO gifts - one is a book, and one is a different gift.

Here's why it's tacky:
    1. Baby showers are gift-giving events
    2. It's expected to provide a gift (singular)
    3. MTB has requested two gifts (see conclusion two)
    Conclusion: MTB is asking for more gifts then it is expected for her guests to bring to her baby shower.
    The conclusion implies that MTB is a greedy bitch. Hope that was clear enough.
    Quoted myself from this thread. If anyone has any questions, you may see me after class.

• Geez, this thread!  Look if you're going to do this, there's probably nothing anyone can say that will convince you not to.  But you should know that people are judging you as tacky or greedy, whether they are saying it to your face or not.  Don't get all butt hurt because people are being honest with you.

Also, LOL'ing @Aly764 calling people impolite and trashy.  
    Anniversary 
  • I might be lame. But as much as im all for memories im not asking anyone to buy me a book. I have a box started with sentimental things. I plan on putting a onsie set he was given by my grandma in that box just like the hospital bracelets bf ds and i all wore when i was at the hospital.

Also to the people getting up in arms that pp owns being a bitch. Good for her i support that. I myself am a bitch. But. I have never been a doormat so yeah ds will be an asshole like his dad and i.

• Aly764 said:

I am on another pregnancy board talking about this FABULOUS idea and making fun of these impolite trashy b*tches on this board who find the need to come on here and make rude comments just to make themselves feel better about their own sh*tty lives. 

What people don't understand is, you're not throwing a shower for yourself, your family or friends are throwing it for you, asking your other family and friends to bring a little extra something. Like a wishing well, bringing something extra to a shower is a tradition that has been done for years, and if you have a good family and friends they would WANT to do something for you that you will enjoy.

Besides I'm pretty sure someone who has this in their profile "Yes, he's aware I'm a horrible mother. Yes, I plan on teaching him to act just like me. No, CPS hasn't come to rescue him yet. "Yes, I'll make sure to let him know how sorry you feel for him." 

...is the LAST person who should be calling anything "tacky" LMAO 

https://www.lifamilies.com/chat/topic-books-instead-of-cards-at-shower-debate-784285-1.html
  • Thought you guys might like some entertainment.   :-D 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"