Stay at Home Moms

How long sahm?

How old is your lo and how long do you plan to be a sahm?

Re: How long sahm?

• 5 and 2. No plans to ever go back to work.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers m/c 01-07-10
  • 5 months!

Until my youngest (we're not done yet!) is in grade school, AT LEAST!

However, I might do some Summer work, if I can bring DS along. (It would be less of having a job, and more of starting a business.)

• Loading the player...
  • Rink08Rink08 member
    6,2, and 11 months. We have no plans for me to return to work for pay but I volunteer now and plan to do it more often once the kids are all in schools.
  • 7, 5 & 3.  I will go back to work when DD3 is in kindergarten.
  • 2 years & 6 months. Planning on going back to nursing school once youngest is old enough to talk & communicate about what goes on at DC.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1:10/31/10 DS born 6/22/11BFP #3:4/24/12 DD born 12/31/12
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Twins are 6 weeks old and we planning more kids in the future, I probably will not go back to work, but that was our plan from the beginning, if anything I will teach at a community college. a class or 2 a semester. I will be home at least for the next 10 years.
    Blessed with double the love. C and J born May 2013
  • DD is 5.5 months.  I would entertain the thought of going back on a very part time basis (couple hours a week) at any time.  Ideally I will be a SAHM until my youngest is in K or 1st grade.  I have no plans to return to a career.  

ETA: Referring to hypothetical youngest. We plan to have somewhere between 2 and 4 kids.   

11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• DS is 3 and baby #2 (our last) is due any day now. I don't have any plans to go back to work. I feel like if anything, they're going to need me at home more once they're in school and have extracurriculars.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS is four and we have another on the way. I don't plan to return to work until LO #2 is in school full time.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
    photo 031414d1_zps227fd907.jpg photo SilverPoster_zpsec3507ce.jpg
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    photo Ribbon_zps406cb11d.jpg Peanut 07/05/07 CP @ 4w3d photo Ribbon_zps406cb11d.jpg Sweet Pea 04/21/08 @ 7wks
    The Blog
  • About 6 months. I plan to go back as soon as possible. When that is, I don't know for certain.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• DS is 2.5. I'll go back to work when our youngest (we'd like 3, but may stop at 2) is in school full time, unless circumstances change and I need to go back sooner.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 9 and -170 days. I'm retired.
  • She is 5 months. I would like to go back now but it's just not feasible. Here, your teaching license is only good for a few years then you have to get your master's. We were planning on me being a SAHM until the youngest was in kindergarten. I don't like it as much as I thought I would, though, so now I need to complete student teaching with my Master's to go back but I'm not convinced it's a good idea to shovel out at least $1k/month for a quality preschool without me bringing in some money (which I wouldn't if I were student teaching). So right now, it is what it is.
  • Not yet 3 1/2 and 5 months.  I don't have any plans to "return to work".  I hope to become a doula in the relatively near future.  While that will be paid work it's going to be really part-time, obviously.  

Never know what the future holds though!  I hope to at least SAH full-time (minus the doula work, to hopefully come) until my youngest is in school full-time.  

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • My boys are 6 and 15 months, and I have stayed home since the 6 year old was born. We have no current plans for me to return to work, but who knows how we will feel later.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • 5 and 2...not sure, I'll probably start thinking about a new job or career once my youngest is in first grade.

• imageHav=Fath:
    I have to say I'm surprised that so many are not planning on going back to work. I think its' awesome, just surprised.

i'm surprised too. I plan to go back after both are in school full time and even then I only want to work part time. 

• My kids are nearly 7yr and 2yr and I don't plan on returning to work except in a part time WAH capacity when the kids are in Jr High/High School.

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

• I'm out of the work force until SAH no longer makes me happy. Right now, there are no plans to go back to work.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Only child, I plan on SAH until maybe next year and then find something very part time and flexible.  We can rely on DH's income but I'd like to find something fun to do. :)
  • They are 4.5 and 3 and I am going back to my teaching job (a teaching job with the same district) in 1 year.  
    O 10.08 & MJ 6.10
  • imageHav=Fath:
    I have to say I'm surprised that so many are not planning on going back to work. I think its' awesome, just surprised.

I find it crazier that most people plan on going back to work when their kids hit K/grade school. My life is so much busier with DD the older she gets. This is no way I could work a meaningful job nowadays.  

• DD is 2 and 2nd lo is due in October. The plan is for me to go back sometime next year. Hopefully though, ill be able to stay home until 2nd lo is a year, but I doubt it..
  • 10 months.

No plans in the immediate future to go back to work. I may go back to dental assisting part time when he's in kindergarten. It really depends on if we're still living here [we've talked about moving back to our hometown in the next few years].
  • JCMJCM member
    DD is a little over 4 & I don't plan on ever going back to work.  I'm retired :-) 
  • DS is 5, DD is almost 4 and I am due with our 3rd and final next month.  I have been a SAHM since DS was born

I always thought I would never return to work, but lately I have been thinking about it.  I am not sure, but leaning towards going back 

DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • DD is 8 months, and the plan is for me to stay home until we are done having kids and the last kid is at least a year old. We plan to have 1 or 2 more kids, so I will be home for a while yet.

After that the plan is for me to go back to work full time. I love being home with DD, but I could not SAH for the long run, especially once the kiddies are in school. 

This is all of course assuming that our financial situation stays the same, and that I am able to continue working my weekend job. It shouldn't be a problem, I've talked to the owners about it and they are on board.

So as of this moment that's the goal/plan. 

• 2.5 and 11 months.  I will probably need to go back to work when they are both in school.  Hopefully we can manage until then, although I may take on some freelance work to help financially if I can.  I wish I could SAH forever like my mom did, but that will most likely not be feasible.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • He is 1 (15 months). We plan on trying for another one and then when the youngest is in school I hope to either find a 9-1 job (like at a mother's day out or preschool) or just be a teacher substitute, that way I can choose my schedule.

That is all if money never becomes an issue.

• imageKateMW:

imageHav=Fath:

I find it crazier that most people plan on going back to work when their kids hit K/grade school. My life is so much busier with DD the older she gets. This is no way I could work a meaningful job nowadays.  

Do you mean like after school/during the summer?

• My kids are 2.5 years and 6 months.

I honestly don't know.  I'd probably be content staying home forever, but to say "I never plan to go back to work" when I'm only 28 just feels so weird to say.  Not that there's anything wrong with it, it just feels weird. I think it's because I only worked full-time for 4-5 years between college and having kids, a relatively short time. 

My guess is that I will look for something part time when my youngest is in K or 1st. We will probably have one more baby, so that'll be in 6 or 7 years. I highly doubt I'd ever work full time again, though.

DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • ta78ta78 member
    3 and 5 months. As of right now I have no plans on ever going back to work.

Q :  06.25.10
    W : 01.11.13

#3 : due 11.02.15

• imageLoriLee14:
    imageKateMW:

imageHav=Fath:

I mean like after school, during the summer and during the school day. I volunteer at her school and before we changed schools I was the room mother from 4k-2nd grade. I was up at the school at least once or twice a week helping with something. 

• 6 and 4.  When I became a SAHM, my plan was to return to work when my youngest started 1st grade.  Now that my kids are getting older, I'm not so sure.  I would love to be home when they get out of school and be able to take them to all of their after school activities.  I would also really like to work during the day while they are at school.  If I go back to the field I was in, I would be required to at least work 8 hour days and probably more.  I'm really not sure what I'm going to do.  If I do decide not to go back to work, I know that I'll increase my hours at the organization where I will volunteer. 
    Ms. A  - 2007, Mr. C - 2009
  • My son is 18 months, and I don't plan to return to work for pay. I do volunteer as a nurse, but really have no desire to work again.

February 2011- M/C
    March 2011- BFP resulting in... 12/2011 bouncing baby boy! 
    October 2013- BFP- M/C
  • imageamy052006:
    imageKateMW:

imageHav=Fath:

I know everyone says this, and I get, but at least around here it just doesn't hold true.  I know plenty of people with school age kids and all of these activities and things people talk about are either school based after school, or are after school hours at night.  The exception being is you are shuttling your kid to private something or other, which I think you have mentioned you do.

To a certain extent, I do think the East Coast in general just sort of operates in a way that assumes two working parents is the norm.  We have already discussed how I see all sorts of non-Bump approved stuff like children who have soccer at seven at night (horrors!).

Maybe so, because nothing operates on that schedule here, which is sort of annoying. Nothing is planned for Saturdays, ped offices not open, etc. I wish there was more of that. All of our PTO mtgs are during the day, all committee meetings are lunch time usually. Now we have tons of sports and activities at night, for instance DD is actually doing her voice lessons on Sunday afternoons. Her old ballet class was at 6:15.  

• imageCurlingRocks:
    imageKateMW:
    imageLoriLee14:
    imageKateMW:

imageHav=Fath:

I mean like after school, during the summer and during the school day. I volunteer at her school and before we changed schools I was the room mother from 4k-2nd grade. I was up at the school at least once or twice a week helping with something. 

Even if you aren't volunteering in the classroom, kids are busy and keep their parents hopping.  I know a couple SAHMs IRL with older kids (grades 3-college) who are more than busy enough to warrant SAH since they can afford it.

Yep, I'm looking forward to figuring out how a newborn and a busy 4th grader is going to work out. LOL 

• imageamy052006:
    imageKateMW:

imageHav=Fath:

I know everyone says this, and I get, but at least around here it just doesn't hold true.  I know plenty of people with school age kids and all of these activities and things people talk about are either school based after school, or are after school hours at night.  The exception being is you are shuttling your kid to private something or other, which I think you have mentioned you do.

To a certain extent, I do think the East Coast in general just sort of operates in a way that assumes two working parents is the norm.  We have already discussed how I see all sorts of non-Bump approved stuff like children who have soccer at seven at night (horrors!).

i find this to be true in New England as well.

plus, my dad works teachers hours so he can help out after school/dh works flex hours/ill prob try to find something four days a week or something from like 6-2ish so we can stagger after school care. Even if we were in a situation where grandparents had to watch them daily, its a whole lot easier watching an eight year old and seven year old who are fairly self sufficient vs a 3 and 2 year old. They're a ton more work at this age as opposed to school age kids and need a lot less hours of care at school age.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageKateMW:

imageHav=Fath:

This exactly. I want to continue to be home for my kids when they are on Summer break and other school breaks as well. 

• 6 and 3. No plans to return to work.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"