Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Ferber + pick up??...

I'm thinking of starting the Ferber method soon, but was curious if anyone successfully did the Ferber method with the exception of picking up their LO to help calm them?  If I try to just pat/rub my DD's back and talk to her it does absolutely nothing, maybe even makes it worse. I want to be consistent in my approach, so was just curious if anyone has tweaked the Ferber method and still had success?

Re: Ferber + pick up??...

• Options
    There is a different method "pick up put down" - or a lot of people do ferber extinction if their LO gets too worked up with check ins
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I don't know much about the Ferber method. I just know enough to know that I couldn't do it. What I do is let LO cry for ten minutes. Assuming I know he isn't hungry or in a dirty diaper. I then go in, pick him up, and rock. Usually when I lay him back down he wakes right back up. So I leave and give him 15 minutes before I go in and do the same. Usually that's all it takes. I've never had to let him CIO for more than 15 minutes.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I do this. First I just put the soother back in DS's mouth, and he holds my hand to his face. If that alone doesn't soothe him and he's still really worked up, I will pick him up and rock him for around 30 seconds until he calms down, tell him it's time to go to sleep and put him down again. I haven't read any of the books, just kind of doing what I feel is right and it seems to be working. We are down to no more than 10 min of crying now and we've only been at it for a week.

Good luck! 

• Options

We do not pick up. The purpose of your presence isn't exactly to calm them down, but to reassure them that you are still there. But don't worry if LO doesn't stop crying when you come in and fall asleep. LO still needs to learn to do it on her own.

We just go in, rub his back a little bit, whisper something that sounds encouraging/soothing, make sure he has a paci in the crib that he can reach if needed, and leave. I only stay for about a minute.

You're right to want to be consistent! That is the only way it will work. I would try Ferber w/o picking up first, and if it isn't working after a week, try another sleep training method that might suit your LO better.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

imageBabyMakes 3:
    I don't know much about the Ferber method. I just know enough to know that I couldn't do it. What I do is let LO cry for ten minutes. Assuming I know he isn't hungry or in a dirty diaper. I then go in, pick him up, and rock. Usually when I lay him back down he wakes right back up. So I leave and give him 15 minutes before I go in and do the same. Usually that's all it takes. I've never had to let him CIO for more than 15 minutes.

This is the Ferber method... but instead of picking them up he suggests you pat their back, sing to them etc to calm them and then try again. 

• Options

nope. if you want to pick up, ferber probably isn't for you. read the book & it will explain. before i did ferber rubbing her back made her more pissed too, but soon you shouldn't have to anyway.

TTC since 1/2008
    BFP 7/2009 m/c
    BFP 9/2009 m/c
    Clomid IUI 12/2010, 1/2011, 2/2011 All BFN
    IVF #1 6/2011 BFN, no frosties
    IVF #2 2/2012 BFP
    DD born 10/2012
    FET 9/3/2013 BFN, no more frosties
    IVF # 3 11/3/13 Canceled after retrieval d/t severe OHSS, 3 frosties
    FET #3 2/2014 BFP Twins!
    B/G Twins born 9/2014 at 36w4d

• Options
    I was wondering too. DD stands and rubbing her back isn't possible. She stands in the corner and pathetically stares at the door crying. I have to pick her up to lay her down. I can't just break her heart by lifting her and her thinking "yey my mommy is here to rescue me!" And just put her down. Sigh.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • Options
    LimaDLimaD member
    imagegnomemom:

We do not pick up. The purpose of your presence isn't exactly to calm them down, but to reassure them that you are still there. But don't worry if LO doesn't stop crying when you come in and fall asleep. LO still needs to learn to do it on her own.

We just go in, rub his back a little bit, whisper something that sounds encouraging/soothing, make sure he has a paci in the crib that he can reach if needed, and leave. I only stay for about a minute.

You're right to want to be consistent! That is the only way it will work. I would try Ferber w/o picking up first, and if it isn't working after a week, try another sleep training method that might suit your LO better.

Yeah, I know the point isn't to stop her crying...but at the same time, she gets very intense.  Arms and legs flailing, screaming bloody murder, and she's too busy crying/screaming that she doesn't swallow so she starts coughing/choking. It's horrible...thought picking her up might at least help her get to the point where she can actually calm herself down.  I don't know!

• Options
    imageLimaD:
    imagegnomemom:

Yeah, I know the point isn't to stop her crying...but at the same time, she gets very intense.  Arms and legs flailing, screaming bloody murder, and she's too busy crying/screaming that she doesn't swallow so she starts coughing/choking. It's horrible...thought picking her up might at least help her get to the point where she can actually calm herself down.  I don't know!

I agree--try w/o picking up first.  Having said that, I would occasionally pick up when DS got out of control, hyper-ventilating type crying.  I would just hold long enough for him to calm down and then put him down and back-rub.  He would cry again, of course, but at least it wasn't so bad.  Also, it took a while of back-rubbing before that became something that was soothing to him, so give it a chance before deciding that it doesn't work.

TTC since September 2009.

IVF #2: +HPT 2/6/12! ~ Boy/Girl Twins!!

• Options

I used the Ferber method with success and I did pick my daughter up and let her nurse for a couple mins after the recommended time. I think it worked great and most nights my daughter goes down no problem maybe one min of crying. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"