December 2013 Moms
Options

UO Thursday...

Re: UO Thursday...

• Options
    imageMrsP821:

imagekatyj25:
    imageMrsP821:
    The idea of a push present is ridiculous.
    I second this. My BFF had a baby 5 years ago and her mom wanted us all to chip in and buy her a new Coach purse.

Um, what?!? That's just crazy. I have never heard of anyone else getting the new mom a gift besides the dad. And to ask friends for money is absurd!

I like the idea of a push present, call me materialistic if you like! But, It only seems appropriate from DH. The ultimate gift will be the baby, but I am looking forward to a nice treat from my sweet husband...goodness, women go through a lot in carrying and having a baby.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    MEP923MEP923 member
    imagemalamutemommy:
    imageMEP923:
    imagexconf143usionx:

This proably isn't an UO, but it's something some may argue with.

I hate OWT. Hate hate hate hate. So you craved some candy you throw up a lot? It totes HAS to be a girl. Or the "I didn't have this much m/s with my last baby so this HAS to be twins right?" Ugh.

I also saw a post that made me really angry today (I think it was on this board but I'm not sure) about some lady labeling the Materniti21 as an early gender reveal. She didn't say anything about risk factors for genetic diseases (or anything about genetic diseases at all actually) and only wanted to do it to find out the gender early. Makes me absolutly sick. That's great that she has no idea what a complicated pregnancy is like, but that's kind of a slap in the face for people that do early genetic screening for you know...valid reasons. I thought it was incredibly ignorant on all fronts.

Huntington's Disease runs in my family. I know most people don't know what it is. It was on House often because "13" had it. You can google if you wish. I am terrified of the genetic testing appointment. I'm not even sure if they will test for it or if I would want to but yeah that will probably be one the scariest days of my life.

oh gosh. I know what Huntington's disease is from nursing clinicals. I am so sorry that it runs in your family, it's such a devastating disease. I hope that if you opt for genetic testing, or if it does even test for it that you get great news. TPs to you! .

Thank you so much.

And really with the tickers?? They are creepy as it is now I'll want to vomit every time I see one.

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I believe we should get our husbands "push presents" for putting up with us for 9 months
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageColeRose:
    Andplusalso for those of you so against showers....just don't have one, but I'm going to enjoy every second of this pregnancy. Shower and all. 

Relax, no one's asking to you not enjoy.  That's silly.  If you're having a shower, definitely enjoy it.  And be honest about the central nature of gifts at them. Try to understand that a lot of people don't care for that. I read a statistic that something like 50% of women dread attending showers.  I wonder if we keep having them because "well I had to go to theirs, so they're darn well going to have to ante up for mine!" Wink I'm kidding, mostly.

Yes, good idea about not having a shower.  That's the idea I've followed with all our pregnancies.  Any celebration we have will be very different from a traditional shower.

Our family is complete!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagegreenbeanqueen:
    I believe we should get our husbands "push presents" for putting up with us for 9 months

Umm...no. If I only get a baby, so does he. Of course, I don't treat my husband like crap like a lot of people seem to be doing, so there's that. 

• Options

imagegreenbeanqueen:

Lol, for some that's not a bad idea.

Our family is complete!

• Options
    MEP923MEP923 member
    I don't mind showers. They are a little boring sometimes but it is a great experience for the mother. I hate gender reveals though. The whole point of the shower is to celebrate the pregnancy, the baby and everything that comes with it. Don't drag people back out for something that is already celebrated at the shower.

imageimage

• Options
    imagesuperspecialsnowflake:
    imageEayanaw27:

I like the idea of a push present, call me materialistic if you like! But, It only seems appropriate from DH. The ultimate gift will be the baby, but I am looking forward to a nice treat from my sweet husband...goodness, women go through a lot in carrying and having a baby.  

Yeah, so do men, to some extent.  They pick up some extra work around the house both before and after the baby is born.  I'd rather have him be helpful than to drop a few hundred on something sparkly for me. 

Men do go through alot and I have an amazing supportive husband. But, please tell me the last time a man pushed a watermelon like object through his male parts.. Thankfully, I have the best of both worlds, a wonderfully helpful husband who is willing to treat me to something nice a sparkly...

• Options

imageColeRose:
    What are talking about...central nature of gifts?

...gifts are a huge part of showers... expected, anticipated, registered for.

imageColeRose:
    Have I dreaded some showers? Yes, but mostly when I was younger and they were for family like cousins. I have never dreaded going to a baby shower for one of my friends.

Thank you for your honesty.

imageColeRose:
    Congrats on the statistic from one thing you read. Perhaps I don't understand your sense of humor *shrug*

I don't understand your passion for showers. But to each their own.  No hard feelings from me. You are welcome to have the last word if you'd like it.

Our family is complete!

• Options
    imageKateMW:

imagegreenbeanqueen:

Umm...no. If I only get a baby, so does he. Of course, I don't treat my husband like crap like a lot of people seem to be doing, so there's that. 

This...pregnancy is not an excuse to treat your  husband like crap. Even the tines I have been moody with DH, I feel horrible. I try to do something to let him know I appreciate him. 

• Options
    KFED103KFED103 member
    I didn't even know my husband knew what a push present was. When I got home from the hospital there was a gift on our dining room table. It was so sweet and unexpected and he wrote in the card how much he appreciated what I went through for our family. But when I wear the bracelet I think of that special day. Those words would have been enough for me....but it was great to get something purdy! Anyone who expects or demands a gift is a tool

"Dont fucking ever come out your face talking shit like that" -SG 1/12/2014

• Options

The only shower I ever dreaded was for a woman that actually posted on facebook every single time something was purchased off her registry, and posted status updates saying that she couldn't wait to open all her presents.  I also heard from a relative that she was freaking out that certain people were/did not spend(ing) enough money on her.

Her behavior was so gauche and tacky that many people wanted to give her nothing....

Loss Blog (finally updated)

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.
    TFMC 08.02.13 at 19+ weeks. Everyday I grieve for my little Olive.

• Options
    MEP923MEP923 member
    imagezou bisou:

imageColeRose:
    Andplusalso for those of you so against showers....just don't have one, but I'm going to enjoy every second of this pregnancy. Shower and all. 

Relax, no one's asking to you not enjoy.  That's silly.  If you're having a shower, definitely enjoy it.  And be honest about the central nature of gifts at them. Try to understand that a lot of people don't care for that. I read a statistic that something like 50% of women dread attending showers.  I wonder if we keep having them because "well I had to go to theirs, so they're darn well going to have to ante up for mine!" Wink I'm kidding, mostly.

Yes, good idea about not having a shower.  That's the idea I've followed with all our pregnancies.  Any celebration we have will be very different from a traditional shower.

I'm not understanding the 50 percent statistic. That sounds made up (I'm not saying by you but by somebody). How do you come up with a number like that? I've dreaded some showers but mainly when I wasn't very close to the person.

Eta: I went to a shower that had a sundae buffet. That can take the worst shower and make it amazing.

imageimage

• Options

imagegwinnygirl:
    I will go to all the showers because CAKE.

That's how I feel about gender reveals :P.  Especially when it's the ones who put yummy cream in a cupcake that's pink or blue?  Who cares what color it is... yummy cream filled cupcakes.   

Lilypie - (JzKZ) Lilypie - (DgGJ)

• Options
    imageColeRose:

imagegwinnygirl:

el oh el, also cake pops. 

I hate cake pops. That's my other UO. You can't separate the cake from the horrible icing. 

• Options
    mkarnsmkarns member
    imageKateMW:
    imageColeRose:

imagegwinnygirl:

I hate cake pops. That's my other UO. You can't separate the cake from the horrible icing. 

You shut your mouth right now!!! Surprise You've crossed the line. Cake pops are delicious and amazing all covered up and placed on a stick for easy consumption.

My Colton...Growing up so fast!

And Coralee, his baby sister...On the way!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    MEP923MEP923 member
    I'm trying to decide between making cake pops and cupcakes for my son's school bake sale tomorrow. Now I'm all confused.

imageimage

• Options
    KFED103KFED103 member
    Cake pops seem snooty since I always see them in bakery cases for 3/piece. Lol

"Dont fucking ever come out your face talking shit like that" -SG 1/12/2014

• Options
    imageMrsP821:

imageBlueCards:
    I think pregnant women should get special treatment.

I know this irritates many and some say we shouldn't "milk" pregnancy or that it sets women's rights back, but I think we deserve to be treated a little different. If someone had the same symptoms we do without being pregnant I guarantee they're getting special treatment at work, from friends, etc. It's such a short portion of our lives that were doing the important business of growing a human being I think we're entitled to some extras.

Can you provide examples?

Sorry to post and run! Anyways, I mean the more daytoday stuff like DH letting me nap while he handles DS for the night or people offering to help me carry heavier stuff once I'm obviously pregnant or coworkers being more understanding or flexible with me while I don't feel well for example. On here women often tell others "you're pregnant not disabled!" If try say try just want to take a nap or otherwise get a bit of special treatment. While I agree some take it to the extreme, the JJ story comes to mind, I don't think it would kill anyone to be extra accommodating with the day to day stuff. I'm equally ready to extend the same treatment should someone be ill, having a mentally tough period, etc. I'm not sure I'm explaining myself well, but hope that helps clarify.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagefranklyscarlette:
    This is petty but I hate when people say "we are finding out the gender." No, you are finding out the sex!! That is all. Lol

This. Seriously, people need to understand that there IS a difference.

1. I eat/drink just about anything I want during pregnancy. Just like in life, everything in moderation. 

2. I cannot stand those stick figure families on cars...especially if there are names associated with them. Great way to get your child abducted. Everytime I see one I think of the sticker on the back of my car that states "No one cares about your stick figure family" and has a guy chasing them with a chainsaw. :)

V|V TSP V|V
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagegwinnygirl:
    imageColeRose:

imagegwinnygirl:

If there's sherbet punch involved I might never leave.

ohhhhhh godddddd THE SHERBET PUNCH!!!!!

ETA: I freaking love cake.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Wedding Countdown Ticker

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I like cake pops but they are a pain in the azz to make. My true love is cupcakes...my kitchen is decorated with them lol :
    DD #1 3/4/09 DD #2 11/3/11 Surprise! LO #3 due 12/9/13
  • Options
    imageQuintonsMummah:

imagefranklyscarlette:
    This is petty but I hate when people say "we are finding out the gender." No, you are finding out the sex!! That is all. Lol

1. I eat/drink just about anything I want during pregnancy. Just like in life, everything in moderation. 

2. I cannot stand those stick figure families on cars...especially if there are names associated with them. Great way to get your child abducted. Everytime I see one I think of the sticker on the back of my car that states "No one cares about your stick figure family" and has a guy chasing them with a chainsaw. :)

Thank you!! Lol. I only briefly considered a stick figure family. But they were zombies! Lol
    DD #1 3/4/09 DD #2 11/3/11 Surprise! LO #3 due 12/9/13
  • Options
    esf60esf60 member
    imagekatyj25:
    imageKateMW:
    imageColeRose:

imagegwinnygirl:

Then you just haven't had a good one yet. Such a shame.

mmm, cake pops. any kind of cake, really. starbucks has a good birthday cake flavor one, if you're ever in need of an afternoon pick me up.

it's also one of the reasons i go to showers of any kind. they're terrible and boring, even when for your best friend. more specifically, showers where you have to play terrible games are the ones that make me stabby. i once went to one where they made us blind taste baby food and guess what we were eating. now that i know what gerber chicken in a jar tastes like, i will never subject my child to it, or anything like it.

cake is my consolation prize for spending my entire afternoon at something like that. 

• Options
    GTown08GTown08 member

My UO (apparently) is that I think most cakes are dry and icing is overrated and WAY too sweet.  I guess I am just not a huge fan of cake.  I could take it or leave it really.  I also think most sweets are overrated.  If I am going to eat extra calories, let them be a really great soft cheese with warm, fresh from the oven bread. 

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=&CT=&CG=F&O=m_bird2&T=t_b11&D=20131129&M1=&D1=&T2=&T1=Teddy&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=A&SC=green
  • Options
    imagesuperspecialsnowflake:
    imageEayanaw27:

Yeah, so do men, to some extent.  They pick up some extra work around the house both before and after the baby is born.  I'd rather have him be helpful than to drop a few hundred on something sparkly for me

Absolutely yes!! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagefranklyscarlette:
    imageQuintonsMummah:

imagefranklyscarlette:

Thank you!! Lol. I only briefly considered a stick figure family. But they were zombies! Lol

The only one I would even consider would be the Star Wars family one but I still haven't gotten them out of principle  

V|V TSP V|V
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageninthgirl:
    imageGTown08:

My UO (apparently) is that I think most cakes are dry and icing is overrated and WAY too sweet.  I guess I am just not a huge fan of cake.  I could take it or leave it really.  I also think most sweets are overrated.  If I am going to eat extra calories, let them be a really great soft cheese with warm, fresh from the oven bread. 

I can agree with you on cake.  But not on sweets in general. What about pie? Ice cream? Cookies? Brownies? So many options. But yes - cake in general is not tasty. Wedding cakes are the worst.

I agree with a lot of this (especially the part where you'd take bread and cheese over sweets. Yes, please!), but not that last bit. My wedding cake was amazing!! I didn't get to eat nearly enough of it. 

• Options
    Since we're talking about showers, and so many people have spoken up against the cheesy games, I'm feeling like this might be an UO. I love cheesy shower games! I wish more showers that I've been to had had silly games. They always feel a little too stiff to me without something ridiculous thrown in there to make everyone laugh and loosen up a little.

• Options
    imageQuintonsMummah:

imagefranklyscarlette:

Maybe I'm dumb but I don't get it?
  • Options
    GTown08GTown08 member
    imagegreenbeanqueen:
    imageQuintonsMummah:

imagefranklyscarlette:

The prevailing theory is that "sex" is anatomical, i.e. you have a vagina or a penis and that makes you a man or a woman, while "gender" is more fluid and a social construct/internally determined.  Thus, in order to change your sex, you need a sex change operation, but to be transgendered, you just need to "feel like" you are more masculine or feminine - i.e, the little boy who wears the dress to school because he feels like a girl. (simplistically put, and if anyone is offended by the words used, I am sorry.  Not intending to sound like I am talking down or belittling in any way, just seemed to be the easiest way to say it.)

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=&CT=&CG=F&O=m_bird2&T=t_b11&D=20131129&M1=&D1=&T2=&T1=Teddy&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=A&SC=green
  • Options
    imageGTown08:
    imagegreenbeanqueen:
    imageQuintonsMummah:

imagefranklyscarlette:

The prevailing theory is that "sex" is anatomical, i.e. you have a vagina or a penis and that makes you a man or a woman, while "gender" is more fluid and a social construct/internally determined.  Thus, in order to change your sex, you need a sex change operation, but to be transgendered, you just need to "feel like" you are more masculine or feminine - i.e, the little boy who wears the dress to school because he feels like a girl. (simplistically put, and if anyone is offended by the words used, I am sorry.  Not intending to sound like I am talking down or belittling in any way, just seemed to be the easiest way to say it.)

I may be about to make myself vastly unpopular, but my UO is going to have to be that I don't agree with this. 

• Options
    imagedontstopbelievin:
    imagegreenbeanqueen:
    imageGTown08:
    imagegreenbeanqueen:
    imageQuintonsMummah:

imagefranklyscarlette:

I may be about to make myself vastly unpopular, but my UO is going to have to be that I don't agree with this. 

How about this website:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/232363.php

It says this "Sex refers to male or female, while gender refers to masculine or feminine."

What do you disagree with?

Also, will someone answer my cake pops question from the last page??? Wink

I see what this article is saying, I guess what I am saying is that I dont get the point of making it some huge difference. But I believe in traditional gender roles, and to me sex and gender are pretty much the same. I don't expect a lot of people to agree with me I guess that's why it is a UO. 

• Options
    imagegreenbeanqueen:
    imagedontstopbelievin:
    imagegreenbeanqueen:
    imageGTown08:
    imagegreenbeanqueen:
    imageQuintonsMummah:

imagefranklyscarlette:

How about this website:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/232363.php

It says this "Sex refers to male or female, while gender refers to masculine or feminine."

What do you disagree with?

Also, will someone answer my cake pops question from the last page??? Wink

I see what this article is saying, I guess what I am saying is that I dont get the point of making it some huge difference. But I believe in traditional gender roles, and to me sex and gender are pretty much the same. I don't expect a lot of people to agree with me I guess that's why it is a UO. 

This isn't so much 'traditional gender roles'; it's about gender not aligning with your sex chromosomes. 

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.

• Options
    imageninthgirl:
    imageGTown08:

I can agree with you on cake.  But not on sweets in general. What about pie? Ice cream? Cookies? Brownies? So many options. But yes - cake in general is not tasty. Wedding cakes are the worst.

OMG, you did NOT have my wedding cake.  I'm usually not a fan of the white wedding cake, but ours was not your standard.  The wedding cake was a champagne flavored cake with white chocolate filling and the groom's cake was Kahlua.  So moist and yummy.  Now I want some.  So stinking good.   

Lilypie - (JzKZ) Lilypie - (DgGJ)

• Options
    esf60esf60 member
    imagedontstopbelievin:

Will someone explain cake pops to me?  I've seen them made before.  It looks gross to me.  The person took cake scraps, and then mushed them into a ball (making it dense and getting rid of all of the light fluffy cake goodness) and then dipped it in icing.  It doesn't seem so great to me.  Definitely doesn't seem better than cake.

See the first minute or two of these videos for examples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80PCMoL2xrM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BcBK2_nKmA

The cake pops made in a cake pop pan might be okay, but why not just make a delicious cake?

generally cake pops are cake scraps mixed with icing, then covered in a coating that's less like icing and more like a chocolate or vanilla glaze. cake pops made in those made-for-tv pans are imposters. no bueno.

when you use homemade cake & homemade frosting, trust me, they're ridiculously good. 

• Options
    imagedontstopbelievin:
    imagegreenbeanqueen:

Just trying to understand here.  My dad likes doing hair, he's great at putting outfits together for me and my mom, he loves baking, and he has been known to cry in public. Those are generally thought to be more feminine gender traits, but he has a penis, so he is male. Do you not believe in him?

I love watching football, fishing, I think chopping wood until I'm tired is fun, and I thing fart jokes are funny. Those are generally thought to be more masculine gender traits, but I have a vagina. Do you believe that I exist?

Or do you just think there is something wrong with me and my dad? I guess I don't understand what there is to believe or not believe.

I guess what threw me is the way PP explained it. I never knew that there was a "textbook" difference between gender and sex. I have no issue with men and women who like to do untraditional things, I guess my issue is that when a small child has "gender confusion" before they are old enough to have any concept of sex or gender. That is why the way PP explained it confused me. I was not trying to offend anyone. 

• Options
    imageColeRose:
    imagegreenbeanqueen:

I don't mean to sound rude but this isn't an UO when it is a fact. Believing In traditional gender roles is one thing, but it is not the same as sex. I teach this to my college students when we get to the sexual assault piece of the class so I know I may be more passionate about this than others. By saying they aren't different is like saying females don't and can't have masculine traits and vice vs. 

Totally agree!

imageimage

• Options
    GTown08GTown08 member
    imagegreenbeanqueen:

I guess what threw me is the way PP explained it. I never knew that there was a "textbook" difference between gender and sex. I have no issue with men and women who like to do untraditional things, I guess my issue is that when a small child has "gender confusion" before they are old enough to have any concept of sex or gender. That is why the way PP explained it confused me. I was not trying to offend anyone. 

I think by PP, you mean me.  If so, I'm sorry if the way I tried to explain ended up confusing you.  I think you mean my example of the little boy putting on a dress.  Again, that was just an example, and I am sorry if that's what threw you.  I probably should have let a professional (looking at you, ColeRose) explain it better. 

• Options
    imagegreenbeanqueen:
    imagedontstopbelievin:
    imagegreenbeanqueen:

Just trying to understand here.  My dad likes doing hair, he's great at putting outfits together for me and my mom, he loves baking, and he has been known to cry in public. Those are generally thought to be more feminine gender traits, but he has a penis, so he is male. Do you not believe in him?

I love watching football, fishing, I think chopping wood until I'm tired is fun, and I thing fart jokes are funny. Those are generally thought to be more masculine gender traits, but I have a vagina. Do you believe that I exist?

Or do you just think there is something wrong with me and my dad? I guess I don't understand what there is to believe or not believe.

Gender confusion actually supports the fact that sex and gender are different.  

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"