December 2013 Moms

UO Thursday...

Any unpopular opinions?

Re: UO Thursday...

• I think it's really annoying when people post about cravings when they're only a few weeks along. It's total bullish!t
  • imageMrsP821:
    The idea of a push present is ridiculous.

Yes!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • I think pregnant women should get special treatment.

I know this irritates many and some say we shouldn't "milk" pregnancy or that it sets women's rights back, but I think we deserve to be treated a little different. If someone had the same symptoms we do without being pregnant I guarantee they're getting special treatment at work, from friends, etc. It's such a short portion of our lives that were doing the important business of growing a human being I think we're entitled to some extras.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagekatyj25:
    imageMrsP821:
    I second this. My BFF had a baby 5 years ago and her mom wanted us all to chip in and buy her a new Coach purse. After yesterday, mine is that I think doctors order a lot of unnecessary tests that just help drive up the cost of healthcare. They gave me a hard time when I declined some of them, but I don't care. I'd rather be my own advocate.

The bolded made me LOL and almost spill my coffee.  That's absolutely absurd!

Loss Blog (finally updated)

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.
    TFMC 08.02.13 at 19+ weeks. Everyday I grieve for my little Olive.

• my push present is a quiet hospital room with just the baby and no one bothering me ;)
    aidan kincaid (12.19.06) sawyer grace (7.30.08) 
    reese madeline (5.11.10) miller paige (2.6.12)
    girl #5 due december 2013.

13 galveston1

IG: punkfictionv4

• esf60esf60 member

i'm not sure if this is unpopular or not, but it irks me.

people who post pictures of their ultrasounds and peed-on pregnancy tests on facebook. i get that people are excited, but i find it kind of gross & unnecessary. some things are meant to be private.

• LawrenLawren member
    imageMrsP821:

Amen.

• I love presents! DH bought me an iPod for laboring with DD. He also bought me a camera for taking pictures after. I guess they were push presents?
  • MEP923MEP923 member

A family member got me a cross necklace after I gave birth to my son. It was really unexpected and sweet. I never even thought about anyone getting me something. It's a nice idea but people should not expect it. Nor should anybody ask you to buy a gift for someone else. That is insane.

ETA: I just wanted to add, your pee stick is disgusting. I don't think an ultrasound is though.

imageimage

• lp0lp0 member

So I guess my UO is related to the pp about pregnant women getting special treatment. I think all public parking lots should have pregnant women/parent with children parking. They should be right next to the handicap parking spaces.

It's really hard especially with lo's to get in and out of the car. Also if it's raining or snowing it's much better for the baby if the run from the car to the store was shorter. Also I feel like there is a safety element to it as well. I get nervous someone is going to come up behind me while I'm trying to load DS in his car seat. I usually get in the car and close the door behind me. But if the parking spaces were closer to the store where more people are walking by that would be safer. 

"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it the more it will elude you but if u turn your attention to other things it will come & sit softly on your shoulder."

BFP! 04/26/11 - DS born 12/28/11 - BFP #2! 04/02/13 - DD born 12/11/13 -
    My Ovulation Chart

imageimage

• imageMrsP821:

I had never even heard of a push present until today. When I gave birth to my son I definitely didn't expect anything for myself. Everything I got was for the new baby. The idea of getting a gift for myself after just getting the greatest gift of all seems absurd. 

• This proably isn't an UO, but it's something some may argue with.

I hate OWT. Hate hate hate hate. So you craved some candy you throw up a lot? It totes HAS to be a girl. Or the "I didn't have this much m/s with my last baby so this HAS to be twins right?" Ugh.

I also saw a post that made me really angry today (I think it was on this board but I'm not sure) about some lady labeling the Materniti21 as an early gender reveal. She didn't say anything about risk factors for genetic diseases (or anything about genetic diseases at all actually) and only wanted to do it to find out the gender early. Makes me absolutly sick. That's great that she has no idea what a complicated pregnancy is like, but that's kind of a slap in the face for people that do early genetic screening for you know...valid reasons. I thought it was incredibly ignorant on all fronts.

Suprise BFP: 8/17/11 (previous relationship)
    Natural m/c: 10/17/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Me (Katie)
    DX:PCOS
    DH (Adam
    Married 10/11/12
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC #1 since 3/12
  • MEP923MEP923 member
    imageColeRose:

Multiple tickers for the same pregnancy seems to be popular around here so I will state the UNpopular opinion that I don't get it. Isn't one enough? Also the black ones with the pictures really creep me out after reading where they got those pictures.

ETA: For newbs your UO doesn't have to be related to pregnancy or babies, it can be anything! 

I'm scared to ask but where did they get those pictures?

imageimage

• MEP923MEP923 member
    imagexconf143usionx:

This proably isn't an UO, but it's something some may argue with.

I hate OWT. Hate hate hate hate. So you craved some candy you throw up a lot? It totes HAS to be a girl. Or the "I didn't have this much m/s with my last baby so this HAS to be twins right?" Ugh.

I also saw a post that made me really angry today (I think it was on this board but I'm not sure) about some lady labeling the Materniti21 as an early gender reveal. She didn't say anything about risk factors for genetic diseases (or anything about genetic diseases at all actually) and only wanted to do it to find out the gender early. Makes me absolutly sick. That's great that she has no idea what a complicated pregnancy is like, but that's kind of a slap in the face for people that do early genetic screening for you know...valid reasons. I thought it was incredibly ignorant on all fronts.

Huntington's Disease runs in my family. I know most people don't know what it is. It was on House often because "13" had it. You can google if you wish. I am terrified of the genetic testing appointment. I'm not even sure if they will test for it or if I would want to but yeah that will probably be one the scariest days of my life.

imageimage

• imagexconf143usionx:

Couldn't agree more.  The entire tone of that post and her follow-ups irked me quite a bit.

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.

• KFED103KFED103 member
    imageVCGolfNYC:

imagekatyj25:
    imageMrsP821:
    I second this. My BFF had a baby 5 years ago and her mom wanted us all to chip in and buy her a new Coach purse. After yesterday, mine is that I think doctors order a lot of unnecessary tests that just help drive up the cost of healthcare. They gave me a hard time when I declined some of them, but I don't care. I'd rather be my own advocate.

The bolded made me LOL and almost spill my coffee.  That's absolutely absurd!

lol...a purse she would never use since she will carry a diaper bag for the next zillion years :)

"Dont fucking ever come out your face talking shit like that" -SG 1/12/2014

• mkarnsmkarns member

It's annoying to me that people are shopping and starting nurseries for baby already. You have 40 weeks. That is SOOOOOOO long. Just chill.

My Colton...Growing up so fast!

And Coralee, his baby sister...On the way!

BabyFruit Ticker

• mkarnsmkarns member
    imageVCGolfNYC:
    imagexconf143usionx:

Couldn't agree more.  The entire tone of that post and her follow-ups irked me quite a bit.

I didn't even address it. I just Confused. Some people's priorities are seriously f*cked up.

My Colton...Growing up so fast!

And Coralee, his baby sister...On the way!

BabyFruit Ticker

• imageMrsP821:

Agree. You're a total brat if you demand or expect this. Totally ridiculous.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

Jacob & Audra - married since 05.28.11
    Emma Kate - born 10.16.03 @ 29 weeks, weighed 1lb 13oz and 13.5" long.
    Ozzy Joseph - born 11.01.13 @ 31 weeks, weighed 3lbs 7oz and 16" long.
    TTC #3
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

• I think using the term "push present" is crude. I do not, however, have any issues with a gift from your husband at any point during the pregnancy or after the birth as something special celebrating your LO. With my daughter my husband bought me a piece of jewelry when I was pregnant and I wear the earrings everyday.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMEP923:
    imagexconf143usionx:

This proably isn't an UO, but it's something some may argue with.

Huntington's Disease runs in my family. I know most people don't know what it is. It was on House often because "13" had it. You can google if you wish. I am terrified of the genetic testing appointment. I'm not even sure if they will test for it or if I would want to but yeah that will probably be one the scariest days of my life.

oh gosh. I know what Huntington's disease is from nursing clinicals. I am so sorry that it runs in your family, it's such a devastating disease. I hope that if you opt for genetic testing, or if it does even test for it that you get great news. TPs to you!

My gripe is the am I pregnant posts. not necessarily on this board but I mean come on. let me just get out my magical pregnancy ball for you real quick. you'd have better luck asking a magic 8 ball. we are not hpts. or your doctor. we cannot guess on which day you ovulated. get a clue please. I apologize if I'm stepping over the line here and im not one to really complain on here but geez. those posts get me every time.

And also, NPR, people deciding to mow their lawn at 7am. I am the lawnmower, let me play you the music of my people.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Wedding Countdown Ticker

imageimageimage
  • esf60esf60 member
    imagemkarns:

It's annoying to me that people are shopping and starting nurseries for baby already. You have 40 weeks. That is SOOOOOOO long. Just chill.

this. AND planning their own baby showers. never cute. 

• KateVAKateVA member

Stop posting about your 2 lb weight loss as though you are all concerned. Its thinly veiled bragging and annoys the sh!t out of me. 

Also, stop complaining about not having m/s. I want to virtually punch all those people. I never had it with my first and it was awesome. This time, not so awesome 

• imageesf60:
    imagemkarns:

this. AND planning their own baby showers. never cute. 

Oh gosh. this also. I already posted but I forgot about this stuff. I can't even bring myself to start nursery stuff. What if, God forbid, something would happen? And I admit I've looked at registry stuff, just to gather information on products but I haven't actually started a registry yet. An. about the baby shower, I was shocked to learn on here that women actually do that. I mean sure I'm sure some of us wish secretly that we could pick all the details about the baby shower so it could be how we wanted but dear Lord, I would never in my wildest dreams plan my own, or try to control how someone was trying to plan it. I'd provide input I'd they asked my opinion but I would never try and over take the process.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Wedding Countdown Ticker

imageimageimage
  • kate14kate14 member
    imageesf60:

people who post pictures of their ultrasounds and peed-on pregnancy tests on facebook. i get that people are excited, but i find it kind of gross & unnecessary. some things are meant to be private.

AMEN sister! yuck! TMI!

• tealowltealowl member

I hate registries and I hate showers.

I worked at Toys R Us from high school until I was 20. I handled the baby registeries and helped folks who came in with registry lists. Almost no one would buy what was on the registry. They want to buy what they like, not what the parents want or truly need. That's why at showers you wind up with stuff you'll never use, like 75 blankets and 800 nail clippers. You're just wasting time doing them!

I hate bridal registries just as much. I was forced to do one when I got married because my Mom freaked out because no one would know what to buy me, even though I explained to here that no one utilizes them anyway. I probably got 5 things that were on my registry, everything else was random. Awesome stuff, but still, I wasted my time at Target scanning stuff w/a bulky giant robot gun.

We're not finding out if the baby is a boy or a girl and we're not doing a registry either, because we'll be buying what we need during the pregnancy. I like showers if they're casual and fun, but they never are. I hate stupid shower games and I hate sitting there for an hour oohing and aahing over every. single. friggin. thing.

I hate hosting showers because the bride or MTB will just take over and plan it all anyway. Every shower I've ever hosted they end up dictating what I wanted to do for them. Throw it yourself then, and I'll save my money.

I don't like having showers thrown for me. I hate being the center of attention, because I just don't have that type of personality. I have to be really animated and just LOOOVVVEE everything, and I'm just too quiet. Every shower I've had in my honor, I will throw up the whole day from nerves and usually have diarrhea.

I just know that I'll end up having like 4 showers for this baby and I'm already a wreck just thinking about it. I'm not ungrateful at all, but they are sooooo stressful and full of drama and I don't want to deal with them.

"Your truth is different from my truth, and we're both right."

TTC since March 2013. BFP 4/13/13, blighted ovum discovered 6/6/13, m/c 6/8/13.

BFP 11/10/13, EDD 7/25/13 - stick little owlet!

BabyFruit Ticker

View Full Size Image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I am so sick of all the "my dog/cat is my first baby" crap. Animals are animals, humans are humans. There is a difference. 
  • Did the MaterniT21 chick DD?
  • tealowltealowl member

imageKateMW:
    I am so sick of all the "my dog/cat is my first baby" crap. Animals are animals, humans are humans. There is a difference. 

This reminds me that I hate the word 'furbaby'.

BabyFruit Ticker

View Full Size Image

• molisarmolisar member
    I hate it when people say they are finding out the gender because "they are a planner".  I'm a planner by trade, an event planner - I plan all day long.  But I'm not finding out the gender.  Just because I'm not finding out the gender, doesn't mean I'm not planning anything :)
  • imageMEP923:
    imageColeRose:

Multiple tickers for the same pregnancy seems to be popular around here so I will state the UNpopular opinion that I don't get it. Isn't one enough? Also the black ones with the pictures really creep me out after reading where they got those pictures.

ETA: For newbs your UO doesn't have to be related to pregnancy or babies, it can be anything! 

Exactly...really creepy!! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    EDD: 06/25/2006  M/C: 11/03/2005
    EDD: 04/08/2012  M/C: 09/03/2011
    EDD: 12/27/2012  Born Sleeping: 07/19/2012
    EDD: 12/07/2013  M/C 05/30/2013 & 05/31/2013
    EDD:  07/01/2016 Born sleeping: 03/02/2016

• imageGBabyMom:
    imageMEP923:
    imageColeRose:

Same place the crazy pro-life people get them from? 

Exactly...really creepy!! 

• imageColeRose:
    imageteal owl:

I worked at Toys R Us from high school until I was 20. I handled the baby registeries and helped folks who came in with registry lists. Almost no one would buy what was on the registry. They want to buy what they like, not what the parents want or truly need. That's why at showers you wind up with stuff you'll never use, like 75 blankets and 800 nail clippers. You're just wasting time doing them!

I hate bridal registries just as much. I was forced to do one when I got married because my Mom freaked out because no one would know what to buy me, even though I explained to here that no one utilizes them anyway. I probably got 5 things that were on my registry, everything else was random. Awesome stuff, but still, I wasted my time at Target scanning stuff w/a bulky giant robot gun.

We're not finding out if the baby is a boy or a girl and we're not doing a registry either, because we'll be buying what we need during the pregnancy. I like showers if they're casual and fun, but they never are. I hate stupid shower games and I hate sitting there for an hour oohing and aahing over every. single. friggin. thing.

I hate hosting showers because the bride or MTB will just take over and plan it all anyway. Every shower I've ever hosted they end up dictating what I wanted to do for them. Throw it yourself then, and I'll save my money.

I don't like having showers thrown for me. I hate being the center of attention, because I just don't have that type of personality. I have to be really animated and just LOOOVVVEE everything, and I'm just too quiet. Every shower I've had in my honor, I will throw up the whole day from nerves and usually have diarrhea.

I just know that I'll end up having like 4 showers for this baby and I'm already a wreck just thinking about it. I'm not ungrateful at all, but they are sooooo stressful and full of drama and I don't want to deal with them.

oh 

All you do is say no. You already have a child right or did I imagine that? Why would you have 4 showers if you don't want any? 

• I'm over 7 weeks and still haven't shared this pregnancy with my parents or in-laws.  I feel like some people think that means that we are not excited, or that we wouldn't look for the support of others if this pregnancy has a terrible ending,

These things couldn't be further from the truth.  Of course we are excited.  Of course we want to share with everyone and celebrate and talk and plan.  But once you've lost these things aren't as easy.  When you lose a pregnancy tons of hopes, plans and dreams that you had invested in that pregnancy and future LO die.  You realize how fragile development is, how many things can go wrong, and how so little of it is in your control.  As I mentioned, I'm a scientist by education, so I fully get all of this; I knew it before we started.  I had tons of genetic tests ran on DH and myself before we even started TTC (despite the fact that we are both completely healthy with no history of genetic disease in either family) because I wanted as much information as possible. While my education and training make my rational brain understand that a miscarriage happens for a reason, it doesn't really pacify emotional brain.

Of course I want to tell my mother, and of course I would look for her support if something happened.  But, I remember what it felt like last time I called my mother to tell her I miscarried.  She hadn't even known I was pregnant, so she learned of my pregnancy and miscarriage at the same time.  At that moment, I was happier that she hadn't known I was pregnant so that she also didn't have excitement, hopes, plans, and dreams for that pregnancy that died.  And this time around, I feel the need to protect her, and all of our parents, as long as I can.  That pain was debilitating, and if I can help prevent someone else from feeling it, I will.  It's bad enough to have the my and DH's joy die; I don't need that doubled or tripled.

I know that there are no guarantees with any pregnancy, and that one is never 100% out of the woods, but we are taking our time this time around.  This doesn't mean we aren't excited.  It means we dealt with a reality leaves a permanent mark; one that I wouldn't wish on anyone else.

imageimage

• tealowltealowl member
    imageKateMW:
    imageColeRose:
    imageteal owl:

oh 

All you do is say no. You already have a child right or did I imagine that? Why would you have 4 showers if you don't want any? 

Good Lord, I didn't think I wrote that much! That looks annoying.. I have a child, she's almost 12, though. I've had 4 people already say they want to throw a shower, and I've usually said, "Oh, I think we'll just have a 'meet the baby' party in like, January or something" and they get all confused and ask more questions. It's ridiculous. I'm 7 weeks along! GAH!

BabyFruit Ticker

View Full Size Image

• tealowltealowl member
    imageClaireFraser:
    imagegwinnygirl:
    imagesuperspecialsnowflake:

So, I've made no secret about this... but my UO is that we SHOULD EAT THE GODDAMN LUNCHMEAT.  COLD.  AND yes, eating occasional maki rolls from trusted places is fine.  My UO is that 90% of the "dietary restrictions" put on pregnant women are complete crap. 

Interwebz high-five! I will EAT ALL THE FOODS!!!! 

Thank you!  I completely agree!

Pass me a Diet pop!

BabyFruit Ticker

View Full Size Image

• tealowltealowl member
    imagegwinnygirl:

I don't know if I could keep on keepin' on without Mexican Cokes right now.

Also, now I want sushi. 

I had sushi last week! Tuna and advocado and chicken tempura rolls. Nom nom nom.....

BabyFruit Ticker

View Full Size Image

• This is petty but I hate when people say "we are finding out the gender." No, you are finding out the sex!! That is all. Lol
    DD #1 3/4/09 DD #2 11/3/11 Surprise! LO #3 due 12/9/13
  • Tea Owl, I'm with you on the showers and registries.  I enjoy the irony of people calling out some shower scenarios (Horrors! She's hosting her own!) "gift grabby".  Think of what the premise of showers is, they're all gift grabby.  Socially acceptable gift grabby events, fine. But still, it circles around the loot, otherwise there wouldn't be a registry.  And contrary to popular belief, babies do not need to have showers to be celebrated.

My UO is posters who open posts that are clearly sad news about an m/c and don't bother to respond.  Maybe the lurkers from other BMBs get a pass, but anyone else who had 15 seconds to open the post and read it has another 15 seconds to post a note of condolences. 

Our family is complete!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageColeRose:

Lord!  I've been thinking this forever, but I figured I missed this UO since I am late December.  My thoughts are:

1.  1 pregnancy, 1 ticker.  Period.  

2.  Pregnology tickers are creepy.

3.  Will I demand a push present or even bring it up?  No.  But if DH decided to be sentimental, I wouldn't turn him down :).  

Lilypie - (JzKZ) Lilypie - (DgGJ)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"