Working Moms
Options

Would you take a 1yr long maternity leave?

I'm also a working mom, but since I live in Canada we get a year long maternity leave.  Thus since I am due again in July, I will be taking another year off, then going back to work full time when DD#2 turns 1.

Anyhow, I was just wondering, since maternity leave is usually so much shorter in the states, whether you would want to take a year-long maternity leave if you could.

FYI: during that time you take a big cut in pay (I took home about $800 every two weeks for the year).  Definitely a consideration.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Would you take a 1yr long maternity leave?

• Options

No way.  If someone wanted to pay me my full salary - sure I would do it. But it would be a very selfish act that had nothing to do with being a new mom. I would just do it for the vacation.

• Options

Maybe not a year - especially w/ teh significant pay cut, but I'd take my full salary or close to it.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

The one thing I nkow about myself - I couldn't be a FT SAHM.  I'd LOVE to be able to work PT and be home more, but I want to work.

That being said - I don't nkow if I could do a full year. I'd have LOVED to have done more than 3 months, though.  If I could have done 6 months, perhaps, then 6 months PT, I think that would have been great.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    imageSpenjamins:

No way.  If someone wanted to pay me my full salary - sure I would do it. But it would be a very selfish act that had nothing to do with being a new mom. I would just do it for the vacation.

Yeah, this is more or less what I was thinking. 6 months - yes. Full year- not so much. I felt like I was second guessing DD's development a lot when I was home. I loved having her caregivers telling me things were good or bad. I loved the tips and tricks they taught me as a first time mom. If I could hire someone like a nanny to come and teach me things and give me breaks, I'd be more likely to do it. I also am not sure I could give up my housekeeper and landscaper and do those things in order to SAH. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    met DH 1995 ~ married DH 2006 ~ completed our family 2008
    Life is good!
  • Options
    I wouldn't do it even if I was paid full salary.  I had full salary for 3 months, which was plenty for me.  I like to work and taking a year off would nave a terrible effect on my career.  I like working and my daughter loves daycare.  It's great for both of us.
  • Options
    Maybe 6 mos, but not a year.  I think it would be so weird to go back to work after a year, but maybe that's b/c I work for a small company.  I'd feel so out of the loop. 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options

While in theory it sounds great, I know it's not something I could do. There is no way I could stay home FT, particularly at reduced pay. If it was full pay, then I might consider it but I would probably still not do the full year. I'm just not SAHM material.

• Options
    I'd love to have 6 months off and then work PT for 6 months.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    No - I'd like 4 months off and 2 months part time to transition.  A year is too long to be out of the workforce for me - even if they were legally required to take me back, I'd be so out of the loop at my job, it would be like starting over.
  • Options

HELLS YES.

I took my maximum 12 weeks, only 1/2 of that was paid, and if I could even take a year at NO PAY and have my job waiting for me if I wanted to go back, I'd absolutely love that security. Let alone if I were getting paid during that time, double yes.

EPing resource blog: http://pumpingmoms.blogspot.com We want you to contribute your story!
  • Options
    Yes. I would give anything to be able to stay with LO for an entire year, even a cut in pay. 12 weeks is not nearly enough. 
  • Options

I guess I should mention, that you may get topped up to your full salary, depending on your employer.  Mine tops us up to 100% pay for 6 weeks which is abysmal, IMO.  I've heard of some employers that do 6 months, and some that do the full year (only the federal government on the latter). 

For me, the cut in pay isn't too serious, that $1600 pays our mortgage, and then we live off DH's pay for everything else.  We don't have scads of money, certainly, but it's manageable and worth it for us.  In my case, it's my pension that suffers....  I am eligible to retire after 25 years, but each mat. leave adds a year unless you buy it back.  I bought back the first year, but won't be buying back the second. 

• Options

I don't think pre-mommy me would have signed up for 12 months off but may have opted for six months off and maybe an additional six months part time.  Or, more realistically since I was pretty job focused, six months of part-time after 8 weeks mat leave. 

Now, as long as I could have my job back at the end, I'd probably take the 12 months with or without pay of some degree.

Succes after IF - DXN PCOS 2008 Surpise BFP 7/2009 Baby B was born 2/2010 Baby A is on her way; surprise! Due 2/2012 BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I would have taken a year leave in a heartbeat if it was an option.  I would have even taken it unpaid, but my company would not have held my job for that long.  It was really hard for me to leave DD at 12 weeks old and I would have loved to have been able to spend that whole first year with her knowing that I still had a job available for me. 
  • Options
    At 100% pay, yes. Otherwise, most likely 6 months.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Yes, I would as long as there is job protection. I wouldn't take the 3 years that my home country offers but the 18 weeks I got in the US were too short, especially the second time around since DS2 wasn't quite as easy as DS1 and I had to start working when we were still dealing with colic.
    2007 BFP#1 MMC 12w; 2008 BFP#2 DS1; 2010 BFP#3 DS2; 2011 TTC; 2013 Pursuing DIA
  • Options

No, I don't think I would take a full year.  That's just too long to be out of the office and I can't imagine trying to get back into a work routine after so much time.  As it is, I have taken 12 weeks with each of my kids but also worked from home those 12 weeks.  I thought that was really nice since I was still in contact and doing work things and then I didn't feel so out of it when I came back.

I think part of me would worry as well that if my office could do without me for an entire year wouldn't they then perhaps realize they don't need me at all?

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Options
    Probably not.  Doesn't sound affordable and I really didn't like staying at home.  I just felt a huge imbalance in my marriage and wasn't happy.  Plus, infants aren't that fun to me.  I found my maternity leave essential for sleep/recovery, but also a little boring.
  • Options
    Yes, in a heartbeat.
  • Options

Heck no.

I took 10 weeks mat leave with DD, it was plenty.  Then I went back to work part time.

If I have another baby, I will take 8-10 weeks off again, and then come back part time.

I have noooooooo desire at all to SAH.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I'd probably do the 6 months and then 6 months at part time like others mentioned. I took close to 5 months with DS and LOVED it, but we traveled to England and did some other fun stuff while I was 'off'.  I'd love to do the same again. But I think by a year I'd be really out of the loop at work/my field since software changes so quickly, unless I was really proactive in staying in the look while on leave.

My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I would absolutely stay home as long as possible, even at reduced pay.  I only got 6 weeks paid, used 1 week of vacation, and another 5 weeks unpaid.  It sucks going back at 3 months.  Although I can imagine it would still be really hard to go back after a year.  I think its ridiculous that the US lags so far behind other countries when it comes to maternity leave.  As far as finances go, since you wouldn't be paying for childcare, it probably wouldn't matter too much that it's not full pay.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

In a heartbeat. 

We can handle the pay cut and knowing that my job was secured would make me enjoy my leave.  I can't imagine myself being a f/t SAHM but a year would have been great. I miss my maternity leave...sigh.

• Options

imageSoon2BMrsN:
    Yes, in a heartbeat.

This is exactly! Now, I would not be able to do it with no pay but partial pay no problem!

• Options

I would definitely take a year long maternity leave if 100% or even 80% of my salary was paid. I'm from Australia and I have had friends who were lucky to take 50 wks off with 100% pay. In this situation, knowing what i know now, I'd use some of that money to take my kids to classes, or heck drop off at daycare a few times a week while I napped and cleaned the house. To be honest with you, I think 12 wks (8 paid) was too short for me. I would LOVE to take 5-6 months off with most of my salary if that was offered. If most of my salary wasnt offered then I wouldnt definitely not do it. I'm not cut out to be a SAHM and have no pay, but I could do it if I had extra money to do fun stuff with my kids. I'm just not creative enough to keep me and my child from being bored.

I have friends who are SAHM's. The ones whose husbands make 6 figures, or they have a nice savings account and come from money have a grand old time. They take their kids to all sorts of classes, and even take time off to go to the gym or relax while their kids attend part time daycare. They don't worry about finances. The SAHMs who live on DH's $60K or less are abviously more careful with money and rarely leave the house. Their kids watch TV all day long, or when its nice go to the park alot. 

• Options
    If I could afford to I would, but bringing home $400 per week wouldn't make ends meet, so in your case I'd have to say no.  Maybe if we knew this in advance we could save up.... I'd love to take a year with my kids :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • Options

What is interesting is that the vast majority of women in Canada take the full year. And it doesn't hurt our careers in the least.

I think it's easy to say no to something you don't have the option of doing.  I think the answers would be different if many of these posters lived in Canada.

• Options
    No. Honestly 3 months was plenty of time. SAH is not my thing. I really missed my job!
  • Options
    imageGingerSB:

What is interesting is that the vast majority of women in Canada take the full year. And it doesn't hurt our careers in the least.

I think it's easy to say no to something you don't have the option of doing.  I think the answers would be different if many of these posters lived in Canada.

I do have the option of staying home -  forever if I want to.  I don't. How is that any different?  Except of course, the stigma of being a working mother in a country that expects women to be SAHMs for a year to be "good mothers".
  • Options
    imageSpenjamins:
    imageGingerSB:

I do have the option of staying home -  forever if I want to.  I don't. How is that any different?  Except of course, the stigma of being a working mother in a country that expects women to be SAHMs for a year to be "good mothers".

I certainly don't think you would stay home for a year. I didn't state that 100% of all women in Canada stay home for the full year.

I do think the answers would be different if many of these posters lived in Canada. I stand by that.

It is difficult to find a daycare that accepts infants here which also makes a difference too. If you want to go back early you pretty much need a nanny or do an unlicensed in-home. Again, I don't know anyone who has gone back more than a few months early unless their Dh took paternity leave. Exceptions are those own their own businesses.

• Options

We've actually talked about moving back to England so I could stay at home if we have #3, i'm on the fence at this point about whether I'd want to stay at home for a year, forever, or not at all.  I like my job too much at this point.

I think it is much more about the work-culture in different countries....I know a lot of people in the UK that work on 1 year 'coverage' contracts covering for maternity leaves sort of thing. But here it's not that easy since so much is tied to your job like health insurance, retirement plans/pensions, etc.  It's not just the maternity leave, but the entire 'what working means and how it impacts your life' sort of thing.

My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageGingerSB:
    imageSpenjamins:
    imageGingerSB:

I certainly don't think you would stay home for a year.

I dp think the answers would be different if many of these posters lived in Canada . I didn't state that 100% of all women in Canada stay home for the full year.

It is difficult to find a daycare that accepts infants here which also makes a difference too. If you want to go back early you pretty much need a nanny or do an unlicensed in-home.

1) If I got my entire salary and free time off? Damn straight I would take a year off.  But being a SAHM wouldn't be the reason. The reason would be totally so i could f-off for a year.

2) "Vast Majority" is very close to 100%.  You said vast majority.

But I agree with you. It is very hard for women to deal with stigma and shame about wanting to be working women with children when the "vast majority" of mothers take a year off and promote the idea that it is the best thing for a child to have a mother at home for the first year. Thank goodness we have different perspectives here.

3) I am sure it is hard to find a daycare. It is the same in other countries that do things similarly.  Just to turn it around, perhaps less Canadian women would take a full year off  if they actually had the ability and resources to return to work earlier......

• Options
    Maybe.  In our current situation I am the breadwinner and DH is at home with the kids.  So I definitely could not do it right now on partial salary.  Plus DH and I would kill each other being home together 24/7 for an entire year.  3 months of maternity leave home together was crazy enough.

Jen - Mom to Jillian (10/2008) and Hayden (4/2010)

My Blog

• Options
    imageSpenjamins:
    imageGingerSB:
    imageSpenjamins:
    imageGingerSB:

I certainly don't think you would stay home for a year.

I dp think the answers would be different if many of these posters lived in Canada . I didn't state that 100% of all women in Canada stay home for the full year.

It is difficult to find a daycare that accepts infants here which also makes a difference too. If you want to go back early you pretty much need a nanny or do an unlicensed in-home.

1) If I got my entire salary and free time off? Damn straight I would take a year off.  But being a SAHM wouldn't be the reason. The reason would be totally so i could f-off for a year.

2) "Vast Majority" is very close to 100%.  You said vast majority.

But I agree with you. It is very hard for women to deal with stigma and shame about wanting to be working women with children when the "vast majority" of mothers take a year off and promote the idea that it is the best thing for a child to have a mother at home for the first year. Thank goodness we have different perspectives here.

3) I am sure it is hard to find a daycare. It is the same in other countries that do things similarly.  Just to turn it around, perhaps less Canadian women would take a full year off  if they actually had the ability and resources to return to work earlier......

I am not looking at the reasons women stay home (shouldn't have thrown in the point re: daycare). I am stating my experience. In working in the corporate world for close to 15 years I knew almost no one who returned more than a few months early. Including VP level. No career suicide here. I stand my my assessment that if the same poster lived in Canada, her answer may be different than if she lives in the US.

I actually returned early, after 10 months. No one gave me a hard time for it.

• Options
    No. A year hiatus from life is too much for me, for my family, and for our future. However, I am in love with my career and am looking forward to law school as well. That's me, but I know my SIL would definitely do it.
  • Options
    I would but My income is supplementary so even 1/2 pay while out would be just fine. We just wouldn't spend as much on amenities.
  • Options

In my school district, we have the option of taking a year off and coming back to our same position and up to 2 years w/a job guaranteed but not necessarily the same position.We are not paid for any of that time (other than accrued sick time). If I could afford to take 1 or 2 years, I would without thinking twice.

Aside from wanting to spend the time w/DS it would be so much easier to ebf...I made it a year pumping at work but it was a struggle and DS struggled to gain weight because he refused a bottle. I don't think the US values this as other countries do.

"Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

TTC #1- unexplained...lost left ovary 4/07 IUI #1 2/10/09-BFN IUI #2 3/5/09-BFN IVF # 1-BFP

TTC#2- FET 4/7/11 BFP, Natural mc 5/5/11 IVF#2 ER 9/13/11, ET 9/16/11, Beta #1 9/27/11 BFP 254 Beta #2 9/30/11 793 -Twins!

• Options
    Absolutely.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    If I could afford it - you bet!  If not, then, I'd take as long as I could and go back.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"