Working Moms

Would you take a 1yr long maternity leave?

2»

Re: Would you take a 1yr long maternity leave?

• I would take it. I really like my job and enjoy being a working mom. But I really hated pumping and worrying about DD being at daycare when she was so young. I know how much she loves going to daycare now, but when she was really young I wanted to be the one to spend that time with her. A year would be a long time and I might go a little stir crazy and transitioning back to working might be tough- but I think it would be a pretty great opportunity.
  • Absolutely not, even if I was paid my full amount. By week 4 of maternity leave with LO #2 I was rocking back and forth in the corner going insane from being home all day long.

However, I only work 17 hours a week. I'm not too sure what the rules in Canada are, but if going back on a part time basis is an option I'd do that. I wouldnt want to be home full time though-if I had to choose between being home full time or working full time, I'd probably work.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes esp through the spring, summer and fall.   I found maternity leave in the winter to be hard-- stuck inside. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would do it if I could afford it.  I am a teacher and I can take 1 year but it would be unpaid and we cannot afford that.  So I had to take the normal 12 weeks and get about 80% of my salary.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • If I could swing it financially, I would absolutely do it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Well, since many employers in the US do not pay ANYTHING for maternity leave, so, I would not have taken an entire year, but I do think it would be nice to get more than 12 weeks.  I mean, I didn't even get a full night's sleep for 13 months, and certainly wasn't even close at 12 weeks.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Of course I'd take the full year! I'm super bitter that I have to go back Monday @ 4 months pp.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I am Canadian and am so excited to have a year off with my little one. UI pays you 55% of your wages for 52 weeks, I then get a top up for 17 wks to 80% through my employer. Yes it makes money tighter but it actually isn't that bad when I factor in paying for child care. I'm going to spend the majority of my life working and missing out on many moments with my child so having that first year with them is worth the pay cut:)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"