May 2011 Moms
Options

What do you swear you'll never do?

Baby #2 really has me thinking about all the things I said I wasn't going to do with DD. 

I'm probably doomed to do the same things all over again!haha

I swore that DD was never going to have a pacifier. Now her binkie is her best friend! That's going to be so hard when I have to take it away. While I would love not to give baby #2 a binkie, I'll probably just cave because it was a life saver for me and gave my boobs a break!haha

I know everyone says, "never say never", but I'm sure we all have things that we would prefer not to do. Curious to know what everyone else says. 

PhotobucketPhotobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: What do you swear you'll never do?

• Options
    Right now we swear we will never have a pacifier in the house or anywhere near our baby!  We will see how long that lasts, but I would love not having to deal with breaking that habit!
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Mine would also be no pacifier! I guess Its good that I hear from you, so I know I may break too and won't be disappointed :)

I want to breastfeed exclusively right away if possible, so I am not planning on a paci since I hear it helps establish the milk supply if baby doesn't use one.

5.18.11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker EDD 3.12.13
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I swear that my baby will never sleep with DH and I in bed. In our room yes, in our bed, no.
  • Options

imageMlatch:
    I swear that my baby will never sleep with DH and I in bed. In our room yes, in our bed, no.

This.  I've heard too many horror stories of people with 5-year-olds still sleeping with them - no thank you!

I have no problem with pacifiers.  They are a much easier habit to break than sucking on fingers!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

Great post :-) 

I always LOL at these since they come up all the time on the baby/toddler boards. Everyone always said while pregnant "we swore the baby would never sleep in our bed"...and then the baby wouldn't sleep any other way. 

I didn't have any "I will never's" since I had never had kids I wasn't going to make any assumptions. Hell, each kid is so different I don't want to make any this time.

I didn't want to use a pacifier but I was open to it. Turned out to be a godsend!  

• Options

imageMlatch:

DD slept in bed with us until she could roll over-then it got to be too much. She would take up so much space!haha 

PhotobucketPhotobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I think this post should be saved until all the May Mommies are on 6-9 months!  The majority of posters will use pacifiers- babies have a need to suck so you can choose- either let them suck on you constantly or a pacifier.  As for the bedsharing- you might not do it often, but it WILL happen.  Best to be prepared to do it safely!!  The first 3-months are tough, try not to set yourself up with too many things you'll "never" do :-)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I always swore I'd never co-sleep. I thought it was strange. DD slept in the bed with us a lot...sometime during the night she'd go from the bassinet and into our bed. We were nursing and paranoid, so she slept between us in our california king sized bed. It was good...comforting to all of us. She's five now and sometimes winds up sneaking into our bed, but it's only a few times a year...if there is a storm or she has a bad dream, and I don't mind that.
  • Options

I swear i will never be *that mom* who posts EVERYTHING on facebook.

I have a girl on my facebook who updates her status honestly every hour...

*baby just pooped

*OMG it's only been 20 mins and another poop!

*baby just blinked 3 times in a row, soooo cute

*did he MAYBE just roll over on his own? It was like 4 degrees, but that counts right?

I swear there are days where her status is changed 10 times. And its always baby related

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I swore I would never bed share (we give in when she is sick and needs to cuddle), I swore I would only give paci for sleep - well she has it whenever, I swore I would not CIO - well....we have and it works.
  • Options
    imageNeverEnoughTime:

*baby just pooped

*did he MAYBE just roll over on his own? It was like 4 degrees, but that counts right?

I swear there are days where her status is changed 10 times. And its always baby related

THIS!  I can't stand this.

Guess what everybody...  I just brushed my teeth!

Last menstral cycle 9/09 Initial diagnosis PCOS (11/09) Provera (x2), P4 injection. Final Diagnosis POF (2/10) 
    Donor ER 8/27/10 -- ET 9/1/10 Beta 9/10/10=BFP! May 6th 2011 - Our sweet little bear was born!
    FET #2 July 3, 2014 - BFP!
    M/C @ 9 weeks

FET #3 November 8, 2013 - BFN
    FET #4 February 12, 2014
    POAS (I cheated) BFP!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageNeverEnoughTime:

*baby just pooped

ROFL I'm just about hyperventilating laughing at this. 

I solemnly swear to never ever ever do this. Ever. 

• Options
    I will not become a martyr, I will not justify eveything I post on the internet, and I will never say my kid is too fat and that is why they cannot crawl.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

imagejeffrae:
    I swore I would never bed share (we give in when she is sick and needs to cuddle), I swore I would only give paci for sleep - well she has it whenever, I swore I would not CIO - well....we have and it works.

(Thumbs up...I can't do it on Chrome)

Jack was an awesome sleeper from birth. We never though we would have to sleep train. Then our apartment became Jack's Discoteque from 2am-6am EVERY DAY FOR A MONTH when he was about 8 months. CIO kept our marriage together :-)

Oh and most of you second timers know this but just to clarify...

bed-sharing=Baby sleeping in the bed. (We did this now and again when Jack was very little, but we also used a co-sleeper...he is a very fitful sleeper so he kicks we got him out)

co-sleeping=baby rooming in, most times you even do this at the hospital. My SIL co-slept with her parents until she was 12. She never once slept in their bed.  

• Options
    So far we've both sworn we won't get on a plane with the baby, despite all relatives being well beyond driving distance.
  • Options

I swore I would never co-sleep (which does also mean baby sleeping IN the bed).  We had a co-sleeper attached to the bed, but I was in so much pain from the c-section that I couldn't even sit up to set the DS in it, plus he just cried anyways, so he ended up sleeping next to me for 7 months.   did love it, but I also got very little sleep.  I had low supply, so he would wake me ALL night to suck, plus I think he just got used to the comfort sucking.

We moved him fully into his crib at 7 months and it was pure bliss!  

I am still using the co-sleeper this time, but I am hoping to actually USE it! 

image Liam Henry: 9/5/09 Emmeline Claire: 5/23/11
  • Options

Not a damn thing here. I didn't ever say 'NEVER!' to anything with DS...  I grew up hearing 'never say never' - so I just didn't even put thought to it, really. What is the point, really, when you just don't know what cards you'll be dealt??

And I am glad I didn't! Life is just so so so much nicer when you are flexible and roll with the punches. 

• Options
    imagetlxh7:

imageMlatch:

This.  I've heard too many horror stories of people with 5-year-olds still sleeping with them - no thank you!

I have no problem with pacifiers.  They are a much easier habit to break than sucking on fingers!

Yep! My sister was like 10 before she got out of bed with my parents! Hell to the no! Mommy and Daddy need time too.

We also only have a queen sized bed, so for the sake of DH and I having room (not to mention the increased risk of SIDS, which is the big thing) the baby simply cannot sleep IN our bed with us.  

• Options

These post crack me up too. 

I swore I would never ever use a paci but for the first 6 months it was the only way he would sleep and became my best friend. He weaned himself from it at 10 months and I still miss it some days. But if this baby is ok without it I will not use it.

I swore my kid would never have a bottle or formula. I never got breast milk in. 

I swore he would never ever sleep in our bed, and I actually kept that one! 

I am going into this one with no expectations at all.  

Diabetic, 2IF, PCOS; blessed beyond words to be called "mommy" to Drew (6/30/09) and Alynn (5/16/11).
    Parenting author for Women of Worth. Mom Blogger and photographer.

Andrew David: mixed receptive/expressive language phonological disorder, sensory processing disorder, Disruptive Behavior disorder-nos and insomnia.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    imageMlatch:
    imagetlxh7:

imageMlatch:

Yep! My sister was like 10 before she got out of bed with my parents! Hell to the no! Mommy and Daddy need time too.

We also only have a queen sized bed, so for the sake of DH and I having room (not to mention the increased risk of SIDS, which is the big thing) the baby simply cannot sleep IN our bed with us.  

We have a queen size bed, and Daddy is 6'4", so this is what I envision: Mommy and Baby falling asleep in bed together - Daddy gets the couch! LOL oops... 

5.18.11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker EDD 3.12.13
  • Options

Our (queen) bed also barely has room for the two of us. One upside to DH working overnight shifts.

The nursery-to-be currently contains a full-sized bed (we combined two apartments when we married and bought the house and didn't get rid of much) so I'm thinking it should probably just stay put for the first while. 

• Options
    imagekristennd:

Our (queen) bed also barely has room for the two of us. One upside to DH working overnight shifts.

The nursery-to-be currently contains a full-sized bed (we combined two apartments when we married and bought the house and didn't get rid of much) so I'm thinking it should probably just stay put for the first while. 

This sounds ideal...I wish we had the room for it!  

• Options

imagejeffrae:

I had to quote this one, because I too swore I would do none of these. And I do did all of them. Bed sharing made the first 3 months SO much better, the paci is a godsend, and CIO actually may have saved my marriage and my sanity. :)

I think I will do all 3 again!!! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

honestly, I never said, "I never will..." with my first. I have a sister with 3 kids, cousins with kids and knew that you have to do what is best for you and baby for the first few months.  I will do the same this time.

I embraced a paci. The recovery nurse at the hospital gave me great advice about it. " Your daughter won't walk down the aisle with a paci, use it."

I think that I am good mom and I let my dd watch tv, eat some junk food from time to time and she had a paci.  She still uses it sometimes to fall asleep but we are weaning her off.  It is not that rough.

Don't  beat yourself up if you do something you swore you would never do. The first 3 months are rough for everyone, especially if you have other children at home. hang in there and make it work for you and your family.

• Options

imagePattypoundcake:
    This sounds ideal...I wish we had the room for it!  

It will only leave room (barely) for a crib and nothing else, but the room has two closets with built-in shelves so that should work for quite a while.

Unrelated to quote, avoiding pacifiers is absolutely not on my radar. They're awesome.

• Options

We are doing our best to not place any expectations on how things will play out.  We will "go with the flow" since we have absolutely no idea what to expect and what to do. 

Hopefully we won't scar the child too much...

Doing the best at this moment puts you in the best place for the next moment

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We've always said we will not have kids who only eat chicken nuggets. My little sisters (5, 10, and 15) only eat chicken, cheese, and pasta which means my dad and stepmom cook two meals every night. I want to avoid this if at all possible.
  • Options
    I think I was in the mindset I would prefer not to do certain things but really once she came it was do whatever we can do keep the baby content and keep our sanity :)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagekck329:
    We've always said we will not have kids who only eat chicken nuggets. My little sisters (5, 10, and 15) only eat chicken, cheese, and pasta which means my dad and stepmom cook two meals every night. I want to avoid this if at all possible.

This was my one and only "will never" and I still somehow lost this battle. When DS started on solids (not jar foods but actual solids) I could get him to eat anything. Anything. Now, he is so picky and its frustrating. Soon I will stop making him the separate meal. Right now I don't think he would understand the "you eat this or nothing" so I make him chicken or pasta or eggs just so he eats. Still don't know how this happened. We started off so well.

• Options

imagekck329:

No matter what you do, sometimes kids just eat what they are  gonna eat. I never dreamed I would have a kid, despite my very best efforts, who would rather starve himself than eat anything, even chicken nuggets. Sometimes you do what you have to do to keep them living.

That said, I will never cook two meals. We are at the point where it is what he is served or nothing. And sometimes that means he eats only a tube of yogurt and nothing else.  

• Options

Picky eating is a major thing for me both because food is a hobby and because my mother had zilch tolerance for it. DH was an insanely picky eater and his mother totally indulged it because she was too. She prefers "selective" and sees it as a sign of refinement. So far he agrees that we don't need to emulate that but we'll see.

One thing that encouraged me a lot was a fun book called Hungry Monkey by Matthew Amster-Burton, a Seattle food blogger. His daughter started out eating absolutely everything and then at about age two went into stereotypical nuggets-and-Kraft-singles shutdown. But it 'only' lasted about a year. The whole book is about coping with that. With recipes!

• Options
    imagekristennd:

Picky eating is a major thing for me both because food is a hobby and because my mother had zilch tolerance for it. DH was an insanely picky eater and his mother totally indulged it because she was too. She prefers "selective" and sees it as a sign of refinement. So far he agrees that we don't need to emulate that but we'll see.

One thing that encouraged me a lot was a fun book called Hungry Monkey by Matthew Amster-Burton, a Seattle food blogger. His daughter started out eating absolutely everything and then at about age two went into stereotypical nuggets-and-Kraft-singles shutdown. But it 'only' lasted about a year. The whole book is about coping with that. With recipes!

Well I'm going to look for that book. Sounds exactly like DS. Right at 2, he went into this strict diet of chicken nuggets and boxed mac and cheese. I'm hopeful he grows out of it around 3.

Patty how old is your son? I'm trying to figure out at what point do I start enforcing DS eat what we eat? I'll make him his separate meal for the night but if he doesn't eat that, I don't make him something else. He just doesn't have any interest in the food we eat, not even spaghetti or pizza or anything. There really isn't a meal I could make that all 3 of us would eat. Otherwise, I would probably make it every night. When is he old enough to get it? He screams I'm hungry but will only eat certain things. I'm so frustrated.

• Options
    imageaugustjam16:
    imagekristennd:

Well I'm going to look for that book. Sounds exactly like DS. Right at 2, he went into this strict diet of chicken nuggets and boxed mac and cheese. I'm hopeful he grows out of it around 3.

Patty how old is your son? I'm trying to figure out at what point do I start enforcing DS eat what we eat? I'll make him his separate meal for the night but if he doesn't eat that, I don't make him something else. He just doesn't have any interest in the food we eat, not even spaghetti or pizza or anything. There really isn't a meal I could make that all 3 of us would eat. Otherwise, I would probably make it every night. When is he old enough to get it? He screams I'm hungry but will only eat certain things. I'm so frustrated.

He just turned 2. This has been going on since he started solids though, so about 1.5 years of this. The only thing he will eat without fail pretty much every time is squeeze-pouch fruit (Ellas Kitchen/Buddy Fruit/Plum Tots, etc.). We offer what we are eating, perhaps some leftovers of something he did eat previously, but about 90% of the time it is rejected. It sucks.  

• Options

I really don't think I have anything right now that I am totally against. The only thing I really want to do is breastfeed, but even that I know may not be in the cards. I am just going to try to be flexible.

Just a thought: If you don't allow pacifiers they will usually use their thumb instead. A pacifier is much easier to take away from them, when it's time, than their thumb.

• Options
    imagepandi02a:

I really don't think I have anything right now that I am totally against. The only thing I really want to do is breastfeed, but even that I know may not be in the cards. I am just going to try to be flexible.

Just a thought: If you don't allow pacifiers they will usually use their thumb instead. A pacifier is much easier to take away from them, when it's time, than their thumb.

Oh sweet baby Oprah yes. DH and his sister both have "thumbsucker" teeth (you know then when you see them). My sister had buck teeth from sucking her thumb. A pacifier is so much easier.  

• Options

Okay, I'm adding one that I actually feel confident that I can maintain. This is pregnancy-related, not parenting, but it's driving me crazy.

I will NOT allow people to touch my belly! Period. How are so many people uncomfortable with that but unwilling to enforce it? They are groping you. The burden of etiquette is not yours. People complaining that their shirts are being lifted and there's nothing they can do about it is something I just cannot wrap my head around.

Absolutely I will knock hands away, report to HR, etc if necessary, although I figure just stepping back promptly should be enough.

• Options

My DD hardly eats veggies and any sort of meat.  It's super frustrating.

I didn't really have that many "I nevers".  I'm from a large family and watched my younger siblings a lot. 

DD took the pacifier on occasion.  At about 6 months she gave it up. 

DD slept in her crib in her own room from the day we brought her home.  I was kind of hoping she would sleep in our room and DH didn't agree.  DD would sleep with us on rare occasions.  She was sleeping through the night at 6 weeks, which I think helped a lot.

I try not to let DD watch t.v. because she watches some at daycare.

• Options
    I swear that I will not be so worried about doing things 'perfect', and be more flexible and relaxed this time.  I think I'm going to have to be, but I also think that I've learned a lot over the past two years that will help me be a little more so.  We'll see!
  • Options

imagekristennd:
    So far we've both sworn we won't get on a plane with the baby, despite all relatives being well beyond driving distance.

This one made me smile, b/c DD was always TERRIBLE in the car...I mean, screamed from the second you put her in the car seat until you got her out...never slept in the car...ever...you name it.

The one place she traveled calmly and slept?  An airplane at about 16 months.  

I'd rather take her on a plane than in a car any day, LOL.

• Options

ok, ok, second time moms. We get it. We completely get it. You've made your point. Many if not most of you are doing things you swore you wouldn't, so all us first timers are silly for saying "i'll never...."

WE GET IT.

That said, I *hope* I'm never like a certain person in my life. She's always late (sometimes VERY late), and she just giggles and laughs it off and blames "the kiddos." It's almost as if she thinks it's adorable. She was never like this pre-kids. It's like ever since she had kids she has NO respect for anyone else or their time.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"