May 2011 Moms

What do you swear you'll never do?

2»

Re: What do you swear you'll never do?

• i kinda agree with never say never. you dont know what your LO will need before they're born or what kind of temperment they'll have. luckily for me my DS kinda gave up his binky. not totally, he only uses it for a little bit when he goes to sleep. but he goes the entire day without it because he simply doesnt need it anymore. and he's been that way for a few months now, he just turned 1 yesterday. so i think he did a good job with his binky. when he was younger he NEEDED it or he'd scream. it's just the way he was as a baby.

BUT, the one thing i said i wouldnt do was CIO. although i think we'll have to cave closer to when the new baby comes, because DS co-sleeps and stuff. and i want him in his own bed so new baby can be in our bedroom. but we'll have to see how DS progresses.

baby growth baby
  • imagelindsay.lou:

ok, ok, second time moms. We get it. We completely get it. You've made your point. Many if not most of you are doing things you swore you wouldn't, so all us first timers are silly for saying "i'll never...."

WE GET IT.

That said, I *hope* I'm never like a certain person in my life. She's always late (sometimes VERY late), and she just giggles and laughs it off and blames "the kiddos." It's almost as if she thinks it's adorable. She was never like this pre-kids. It's like ever since she had kids she has NO respect for anyone else or their time.

I didn't realize we were not allowed to talk to each other within a post about what we did/thought if we had a child before so nobody else would get offended. 

VERY GOOD TO KNOW.  

ETA: And I hate people like that. Be late, don't be late, don't blame the kids.  

• Loading the player...
  • imageaugustjam16:

imagekck329:
    We've always said we will not have kids who only eat chicken nuggets. My little sisters (5, 10, and 15) only eat chicken, cheese, and pasta which means my dad and stepmom cook two meals every night. I want to avoid this if at all possible.

This was my one and only "will never" and I still somehow lost this battle. When DS started on solids (not jar foods but actual solids) I could get him to eat anything. Anything. Now, he is so picky and its frustrating. Soon I will stop making him the separate meal. Right now I don't think he would understand the "you eat this or nothing" so I make him chicken or pasta or eggs just so he eats. Still don't know how this happened. We started off so well.

I know most kids go through a stage like this and that we'll have to deal with it as it comes. I think you are right that at your son's age, "eat this or nothing" isn't going to get you very far and obviously you want him to eat something!

I also think there is a difference between a 2 year old who is a picky eater and a 15 year old who doesn't eat dinner when she goes to stay with friends for the weekend because its not on her list of 5 items. I'd like to avoid the latter. 

• imagekck329:
    imageaugustjam16:

imagekck329:
    We've always said we will not have kids who only eat chicken nuggets. My little sisters (5, 10, and 15) only eat chicken, cheese, and pasta which means my dad and stepmom cook two meals every night. I want to avoid this if at all possible.

This was my one and only "will never" and I still somehow lost this battle. When DS started on solids (not jar foods but actual solids) I could get him to eat anything. Anything. Now, he is so picky and its frustrating. Soon I will stop making him the separate meal. Right now I don't think he would understand the "you eat this or nothing" so I make him chicken or pasta or eggs just so he eats. Still don't know how this happened. We started off so well.

I also think there is a difference between a 2 year old who is a picky eater and a 15 year old who doesn't eat dinner when she goes to stay with friends for the weekend because its not on her list of 5 items. I'd like to avoid the latter. 

Gah my 45 year old uncle is this way and it drives me nuts. He will eat:

Fried bologna, chicken nuggets, fries, pizza with cheese only, fried fish, macaroni and cheese, and that is it. I don't think he has eaten a green vegetable in 42 years. SO DISGUSTING. That is why I am trying so hard to nip it in the bud right now.  

• imagePattypoundcake:
    imagekck329:
    imageaugustjam16:

imagekck329:

Gah my 45 year old uncle is this way and it drives me nuts. He will eat:

Fried bologna, chicken nuggets, fries, pizza with cheese only, fried fish, macaroni and cheese, and that is it. I don't think he has eaten a green vegetable in 42 years. SO DISGUSTING. That is why I am trying so hard to nip it in the bud right now.  

Yuck! That is so strange! I can see why you are a little worried about your son. The uncle sounds like he would traumatize any mom into worrying their child will turn out that way. lol 

I'm sure your son's is just a stage, but good for you for being so proactive. Some parents are such enablers it is sick. 

• imagePattypoundcake:
    imagelindsay.lou:

ok, ok, second time moms. We get it. We completely get it. You've made your point. Many if not most of you are doing things you swore you wouldn't, so all us first timers are silly for saying "i'll never...."

WE GET IT.

That said, I *hope* I'm never like a certain person in my life. She's always late (sometimes VERY late), and she just giggles and laughs it off and blames "the kiddos." It's almost as if she thinks it's adorable. She was never like this pre-kids. It's like ever since she had kids she has NO respect for anyone else or their time.

I didn't realize we were not allowed to talk to each other within a post about what we did/thought if we had a child before so nobody else would get offended. 

VERY GOOD TO KNOW.  

I was just being flip, for the most part. 

It was just funny to me that as I read the thread, it was like 

"I'll never co sleep" ... second time mom replies "I said the same thing, and now we cosleep!" 

"I'll never use a paci"....second time mom replies "I said the same thing, and now we use a paci" 

etc etc etc

kwim? It was kind of funny......

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagelindsay.lou:
    imagePattypoundcake:
    imagelindsay.lou:

WE GET IT.

VERY GOOD TO KNOW.  

"I'll never co sleep" ... second time mom replies "I said the same thing, and now we cosleep!" 

"I'll never use a paci"....second time mom replies "I said the same thing, and now we use a paci" 

etc etc etc

Ahh I gotcha. It just comes up so much it makes me laugh. Same thing happens with posts about the Bumbo chairs. I always want to save and bookmark these posts. Hell, I want to see the posts I made in these type of polls back in the day but the Bump won't go back that far, dammit!  

• imagelindsay.lou:
    imagePattypoundcake:
    imagelindsay.lou:

WE GET IT.

VERY GOOD TO KNOW.  

etc etc etc

I have done many of the things I said I wouldn't do, but my point was that I still hope not to do those things this time! Even though I like the never say never and I'm more open to giving in to a binkie/co-sleeping, I hope not to have to do those things this time. They are hard habits to break!

PhotobucketPhotobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • The only thing I will NOT do is let baby sleep in my bed.  Unless I fall asleep without meaning to or something.  I have very violent nightmares regularly and have rolled on top of my cat who sleeps curled up against me each night. 

I also sometimes while having these nightmares thrash around wildly (while screaming) and have even slung all the blankets off me and jumped out of bed and ran across the room all while still asleep.  If I had a nightmare like that with the baby in the bed, I worry that I could either crush the baby or sling the baby off the bed.

• I was so incredibly clueless the first time around, I think the only nevers were no formula and no pacis -- oh, and no TV for the first year. The pediatrician quickly eased my fears about the paci, but Lily never loved it like some kids do. We BF for 11 months but supplemented with formula when needed and it was no biggie. The TV rule stuck.

We co-slept for the first 4.5 months and transitioned easily. However, Lily woke up every 2 hours for the first 5 months of her life to nurse. She was also incredibly hard to get to sleep - some nights I'd spend 90 minutes rocking her. I'd really like to try a better way this time, if there is one, because that was madness! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I swear all the way to the moon and back that I'll never make any major changes to my hair until this LO is at least 6 months old.

I thought I needed a new look after DD and cut off about 6 or 7 inches of my hair.  Wow, big mistake.  I was not in my right mind then and regretted it almost immediately.  I won't be doing that again.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagetlxh7:

imageMlatch:
    I swear that my baby will never sleep with DH and I in bed. In our room yes, in our bed, no.

This.  I've heard too many horror stories of people with 5-year-olds still sleeping with them - no thank you!

I have no problem with pacifiers.  They are a much easier habit to break than sucking on fingers!

LOL 5 y/os don't still sleep in their parents' bed because the parent let them cosleep as an infant.  They sleep in their parents' bed because the parents didn't set boundaries at an appropriate age. 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My "never" this time is that I will never go 11 months again before trying CIO if my kid is still waking every 2-3 hours.  We'll see if this one holds up haha.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"