2nd Trimester
Options

Will you put a leash on your child?

Re: Will you put a leash on your child?

• Options
    imageLittleMamaB:

LOL. Discipline. LOL. Well-behaved toddler. LOL...

Some of you have NO clue, huh? None whatsoever. You can "discipline" your toddler until you are blue in the face and sometimes, even your perfect, disciplined, well-behaved toddler is going to do what THEY want to do. Funny thing about toddlers, you see, is that they have a mind of their own. And they think they are always right.  And this is every toddler on the face of the planet. Nest cliche coming....believe me, you'll see.

I have never used a harness, but I haven't had the need quite yet. I know for a fact that I would use one in a situation where we were at an over-crowded place, etc. 

exactly! you said what Ive been trying to! (Im just no good with words today)

• Options
    imagegetnmarried910:
    imagepnarmenta:
    imageTaylor44:
    imagepnarmenta:

I will not!  The other day I saw a lady with one on her son and she was standing and he was next to her, he went to run and the thing yanked his little body and he fell and hit his head on the tile floor really hard!! Sad

I don't like them at all and that explains why! 

Well this was the ladies fault, not the product.  I wouldn't base my decision on a stranger's actions.

How?  The product was on the little boy, the product was the thing stopping him, isn't that the point of them?  To stop little ones from running???  If she let had let him go he would not have fallen, but the thing we are discussing is the product...and I didn't like them to begin with, this just backed why I don't.

Did the mom pull back at all or did he just fall?  My DD tried to run twice and never fell.  I have to think it'd take more force than just him trying to run.

She put him down and he went to run and she had her part on her arm and he fell...thats it...it was really a bad "thump"  and he really cried! I felt soooo bad!!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

You ladies have NO idea!!   Saving for a 1.5 yrs from now to see what you ladies think!   I am sure your minds will have changed

Pregnancy Ticker

DS1 12-31-1999, DS2 5-7-2008, DS3 8-3-2010
  • Options

Bumping his head on the sidewalk...bad.

Getting hit and killed by a car...way worse.

I'm just sayin'.

• Options
    imageLittleMamaB:

Bumping his head on the sidewalk...bad.

Getting hit and killed by a car...way worse.

I'm just sayin'.

to add-

getting abducted by a stranger, tortured, killed, never seen again. waay WAAY worse.

agree with momma B- Yes

• Options

I wasn't sure if I was going to respond to this post or not... but I decided to.

When we had our twins, I was the mom who said my kids were going to behave in public, have manors at the table, and have minimal tantrums. Not to mention, they would walk nicely with me in public and I would "never" use a leash on them.

Now, 21 months later, I have two WONDERFUL toddlers who are well behaved but not as I imagined. They are polite in restaurants and walk with me most of the time. But then there's that small percentage of the time that tantrums hit, running away to see something cool strikes, and yelling at PF Changs happens. It's something, as a parent, you learn to deal with.

With a LO on the way... due a month after the twins turn two... I will be investing in a leash (monkey and bear). Not because I don't discipline my children. Not because I am "LAZY". But because I want THEM to be SAFE!!

I go out by myself often because DH works a lot. The "leashes" will allow me to protect all my children. Its the extra set of hands I will need.

Kristi | mom of twins & singleton | lover of JUNK | K.Stone Photography | Only Prettier Boutique
  • Options

Never say never.

I'd like to think no, but...who knows.  I may have a freak out moment and go buy one.

• Options
    Depends- if they are like my niece, no.  She doesn't leave her mother's leg.  If they are like my nephew, hell yeah!  His parents usually keep him in line, but shopping trips are terrible.  If you look at clothes in a store, he will hide in the racks.  If you order coffee or something at a counter, he will slip his hand out and start running away.  That's the only time they need to use it, other public places he's good.  I don't now if its all the stimulation or what.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageNennifre:
    not only no, but Hell no! It's lazy parenting, IMO.

ditto!

• Options

How exactly is it lazy parenting to not want your child to run out into traffic, get lost in a crowd, get abducted or wander off? If you think that only badly behaved kids run away from their parents or that "attentive" parents would always prevent that from happening, you haven't been around too many kids.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I plan on registering for one. My mother had to use one on me when I was a child ~ I was also an escape artist. DH started walking when he was 7mo. I kid you not, We will NEED one of these so that our LO doesn't disappear out from under our noses in a busy place. No I will not use them in everyday situations if I can help it but I will have one on hand just in case.

Also, in todays socioty it is necessary to take as many percautions as you can to protect your child from the weirdos out there. How many time have we heard on the news about children just disappearing and being found days later murdered. If protecting my child while giving him his freedom means that we look a little odd at the park and get some nasty stares, then so be it.

• Options

imageSnackBot:
    *** no!  A child is not a dog.  I make fun of child leashes every time I see them. 

Ew.  You shouldn't.

I've managed to get by for the past 4.5 years with twins and no leashes but one of my girls is autistic and my H and I realized at our last trip to the zoo that we REALLY need one for her. 

I have no idea how much you know about autism, but these children tend to wander, squirm, tantrum and run off.  I am NOT a lazy parent.  I just want my child to be safe.  I plan on buying a backpack leash before we go to another heavily populated place (amusement park, zoo, aquarium etc.)

You have nerve making fun of people.  How the hell do you know what they are going through?  ICK

• Options
    imagebigapplebride:

imageSnackBot:
    *** no!  A child is not a dog.  I make fun of child leashes every time I see them. 

Ew.  You shouldn't.

I've managed to get by for the past 4.5 years with twins and no leashes but one of my girls is autistic and my H and I realized at our last trip to the zoo that we REALLY need one for her. 

I have no idea how much you know about autism, but these children tend to wander, squirm, tantrum and run off.  I am NOT a lazy parent.  I just want my child to be safe.  I plan on buying a backpack leash before we go to another heavily populated place (amusement park, zoo, aquarium etc.)

You have nerve making fun of people.  How the hell do you know what they are going through?  ICK

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, is it?  I said I make fun of child leashes, not people.  I also did not call anyone a lazy parent.  You can reserve your "ew" and "ICK" for someone else. 

I'm sure parents do what they have to, but there are few arguments that will convince me this type of tool is necessary (your situation might be an exception).  Children are supposed to wander about and parents are supposed to keep an eye on them. 

FWIW, I would never make fun of a child with autism.  Also, I would suggest leaving your assumptions about me at the door.  You know nothing about me other than that I think leashes are for dogs and child leashes are silly. 

I am sorry you are dealing with the difficulties of an autistic child and I wish you the best in raising her.

My son is toddling his way to two! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagepnarmenta:
    imageTaylor44:
    imagepnarmenta:

I will not!  The other day I saw a lady with one on her son and she was standing and he was next to her, he went to run and the thing yanked his little body and he fell and hit his head on the tile floor really hard!! Sad

I don't like them at all and that explains why! 

Well this was the ladies fault, not the product.  I wouldn't base my decision on a stranger's actions.

How?  The product was on the little boy, the product was the thing stopping him, isn't that the point of them?  To stop little ones from running???  If she let had let him go he would not have fallen, but the thing we are discussing is the product...and I didn't like them to begin with, this just backed why I don't.

The point isn't necessarily to stop them from running, its so they're safer if they do. So they don't take off and their little bodies get lost in a crowd (which only takes seconds). Its so they don't get snatched up by a running kidnapper. Its not about laziness or discipline, its about safety. You cannot always make a 16 month old hold your hand or stay put. Even the most well behaved toddler is going to run.

The know-it-all 2nd trimesters...you have no idea what you're in for. 

• Options
    We have vowed never to use a leash for our children!! After years of frequenting Disneyland and seeing how they seem to be so ineffective, we will not participate in that strange parenting!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    In a crowded situation where we could easily be separated? Sure why not.
  • Options
    Yes. My son had the monkey one! Anyone that has ever felt their heart drop to their feet when they looked around to find a child that was JUST standing next to them 2 seconds ago, would rather the potential stares from strangers about a leash than that sinking feeling.
  • Options
    imageJibbelle:

LOL   No!

My child will be well behaved enough that they will not need a leash.  :)

This must be your first.  Everyone says things like, "MY child would never do/be like/be allowed to..."

Wait until reality comes- it's different.

Anyways, we do have a monkey backpackand it's really not that bad. The "tail" is detachable so when you are in a safe area or to your destination you can take it off and he just wears the monkey.

For example;

We went to the county fair this year and DS wanted to be everywhere and see everything.  In some areas it's almost shoulder to shoulder.  And of course he absolutley does not want to be in his stroller.  So he wears his monkey (that he loves!) and can stay with us but also be "independent".. and then when we got to the concert area, we took the tail off and he played around in the grass where we were sitting.  It was nice!  I don't use it all the time, like when we go to wal-mart or on a walk.  I use it when nessasary!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ive never had to use one. Not all kids like to run from their Moms while in stores. My daughter was always attached to me at stores not because IM some kind of superhero parent just because thats how she was. IMO I dont like the leash but to each their own.

BabyFetus Tickerphoto 2ceebf02-c89c-48f9-aa15-cf2562600e12.jpg
  • Options
    I don't think its a bad idea if you have more than one child. I would rather have them on a leash than loose them or have someone try to snatch them.
  • Options

not that i think badly of those that do it, i will not be putting my kid on a leash...

DH's parents put one on him and he is absolutely against it. So there wont be an argument on his side either.

• Options
    No, DH & I agree that this goes against everything we believe in about parenting.  We expect to be holding onto our children's hands, in our arms, etc. and that they will behave well enough to stay right by us.  We did as children, so we'll see how it goes in our lives!  Maybe there'll come a time where we just have to have one, but aren't planning on it.  There are also events that may make it necessary to use a leash (airport, concert, crazy amusement park, etc.), but it won't be an everyday occurance for us.
  • Options
    Haha I love this question!! No I don't think I would ever use one although I have threatened my 10 year old nephew who has a problem with running off and not telling me where he is going when we are at the park! (Our community just built a HUGE park so if he runs off it literally takes like 20 mins to find him!)
  • Options
    imageSnackBot:
    imagebigapplebride:

imageSnackBot:

Ew.  You shouldn't.

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, is it?  I said I make fun of child leashes, not people.  I also did not call anyone a lazy parent.  You can reserve your "ew" and "ICK" for someone else. 

I'm sure parents do what they have to, but there are few arguments that will convince me this type of tool is necessary (your situation might be an exception).  Children are supposed to wander about and parents are supposed to keep an eye on them. 

FWIW, I would never make fun of a child with autism.  Also, I would suggest leaving your assumptions about me at the door.  You know nothing about me other than that I think leashes are for dogs and child leashes are silly. 

I am sorry you are dealing with the difficulties of an autistic child and I wish you the best in raising her.

Nice attempt at a backpedal. 

"Oh you have reading comprehension issues!  I make fun of the LEASH not the people using it!"

Are you for real with this nonsense?  You would have looked better saying, "gee, I didn't think of that.  Maybe I should stop making ridiculous snap judgments."

I know, I know.  That's asking TOO much!

I'm sure you would never intentionally make fun of a disabled child, but my point was really HOW DO YOU KNOW?  Can you tell just by looking which child in my sig is autistic?  You could pass someone with a completely "normal" looking child that could be severely disabled. 

Stop judging people is what I'm saying.  There are so many legitimate (safety) reasons why someone might need to use a child restraint.

• Options

That's way too embarrassing. I know the intentions are good, but come on! You wouldn't need it if you kept your child within reach and eye sight. I hate seeing customers who are at the back of the store, and their kids are running around up front.

I can see it if you are possibly going into a big crowd where even if you do have their hand a rush could seperate you. That's the only time my mom leashed me. 

• Options
    I would never. If you ask me, you put animals on leashes. Its down right wrong. I am 5 months pregnant with a 3 year old and i would never. She's not an animal, she's a child. buy a stroller or hold their hand for crying out loud. How would you feel if ur spouse had you on a leash because you would run to the show department otherwise
  • Options
    imagebigapplebride:
    imageSnackBot:
    imagebigapplebride:

imageSnackBot:

Ew.  You shouldn't.

Nice attempt at a backpedal. 

"Oh you have reading comprehension issues!  I make fun of the LEASH not the people using it!"

Are you for real with this nonsense?  You would have looked better saying, "gee, I didn't think of that.  Maybe I should stop making ridiculous snap judgments."

I know, I know.  That's asking TOO much!

I'm sure you would never intentionally make fun of a disabled child, but my point was really HOW DO YOU KNOW?  Can you tell just by looking which child in my sig is autistic?  You could pass someone with a completely "normal" looking child that could be severely disabled. 

Stop judging people is what I'm saying.  There are so many legitimate (safety) reasons why someone might need to use a child restraint.

Oh FFS, I'm not backpedaling.  I'm reiterating exactly what I originally wrote.  You read into it what you wanted to.  Are you for real with your hyper-sensitivity nonsense?  

I'm not sure what it was about my original post that got you all riled up, but I think you might want to reread through the entire thread and go throw around your sensitivities and accusations with the people who actually said leash-wielding parents are lazy and worthy of their judgment.

I have no idea what to do with your rant about disabled children, since I said nothing that warrants my defense on this subject.  Thus, I'm going to leave this one alone.

My son is toddling his way to two! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    ABSOLUTELY NOT! We got in this discussion at work and we were all stating our opinion and when i said not for me, a coworker said well, you haven't lost a child yet, once you do, you'll change your mind! I just really do not agree with them. I'll get a dog if i want to walk something on a leash. If i can't watch my kid in public, i'll not go with them! They can stay home with dad!
    Keeping my fingers crossed for my BFP Buddy STL34!!! CafeMom Tickers
  • Options

I don't have a strong opinion on these one way or the other as far as anyone using them.  I didn't have one with my two older children, they weren't runners/wanderers thankfully. In fact, they were usually begging to be in the stroller lol.  My 7 yr old would get in one now if I let him!

I am remarried and this is my first with my DH and he swears if she's anything like he was...we're in trouble!  I've always been a play it by ear kind of person, so I guess we'll see what happens when we get to that independent stage.

• Options

well I actually have, I have an almost 3 year old who for the past year has refused to go into a stroller....she feels independent and I feel better not having a screaming child strapped into her stroller.  Makes for happy mommy and happy childBig Smile

• Options
    I love that people get so worked up about these and think it's cruel and unusual punishment :) Will I use one? Not everyday, but heck yeah I will! Let them run around having fun instead of being a "good little boy or girl" and walk calmly beside mommy for hours on end. It's a kid, who cares if they're perfect, let them have some fun.
  • Options

If a child harness = dog leash, then...

crib/playpen = dog crate

teething rings = chew toys

Hope none of "I would never!" types aren't planning on using those either : )

• Options
    Exactly!! I too was one that always said i would never do it, but my daughter loves to walk instead of being in a stroller, so i put her backpack on and i will hold her hand but if she gets resteless and wants to walk a bit on her own and not hold my hand I let her. It has nothing to do with lazy parenting thank you very much!
  • Options

It totally depends on the child as to whether or not a leash is needed.  While none of my three brothers were ever "leashed," my mother used a pink, harness-like leash to keep me out of various bodies of water and to prevent  running away.  I was never content to stay where I was told and was too small to understand the dangers of running off. 

The comment that putting a child on a leash is "lazy" parenting shows a lack of understanding that different children and different situations may be more than even a very energetic, very watchful parent can deal with without the extra help of a child harness.  I would much rather see a toddler on a leash than see an unsupervised toddler running through a public place where they may not be safe.    

• Options
    I have 2 within a yr of each other.  I never thought I would use them, and as a kid I always felt sorry for kids who wore them.  BUT, I was an only child..lol.  There's no way I would take my kids to a museum or camp site w/o them.  My son is a runner...and all it takes is a second.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    my first instinct is to yell and scream no! never! so lazy! so insulting! the world continued for bajillions of years without leashes! etc etc... however, we want four kids and i'm only making our first right now.  so ask me in like, 5 or 6 years. :)
  • Options
    I probably will.  I also plan to use a playpen and (gasp!) the TV.  Back in the good old days, extended families lived together in one house or you lived in a village/tribe - either way you had plenty of help around.  Now, most mothers are on their own.  I say use anything that will get you and the kid through the day with the least amount of physical or mental trauma!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagebeachykeen1723:

NEVER.  We have disney passes, so I see kids with these all the time. My favorite are they DIY leashes- some of the kids just have a rope tied around them!

LMAO

BFP#1 - 10/09, DS born 6/17/10 BFP#2 - 09/12, EDD 6/6/13, MMC 10/31/12 @8w5d, D&C 11/30/12 Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Anniversary
  • Options

i think it would depend on where i was going but yes. i remember when i was a kid and it was just me and my mom and she lost me cuz i wondered off. i was crying and when she found me with a store consultant in towe cuz she was in histarics.

also i remember my mom talking to my sister and i was being a kid strolling right behind my mom in a grocery store and a creapy man cut inbetween my mom and me and tried asking me where i lived and walking off with me when my mom grabed him and told him to get lost. she never let go of my hand again!

now if i tookmy kid to the beach or a park no but if i was in an airport or somewhere like that then hell yes! i dont think there is anything wrong with it as long as ur not tryiing to correct your child with them like u would a dog by pulling on it (lol i just visualized a woman yanking on the monkey leash and saying no put that down lil' Johnny) then i think its fine.

• Options
    No.  They look really ugly and if my mother was able to handle two kids a year apart without one, I should be able to do the same.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"