2nd Trimester
Options

Will you put a leash on your child?

Re: Will you put a leash on your child?

• Options

I will not!  The other day I saw a lady with one on her son and she was standing and he was next to her, he went to run and the thing yanked his little body and he fell and hit his head on the tile floor really hard!! Sad

I don't like them at all and that explains why! 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

I don't like them. I see a lot of parents who use them and then they still don't teach the child to stay with them, they just yank on the leash to bring the kid back.

If you put your child on leash, you still have to teach them to walk by you and stay with you or else when you take the leash off, the kid will still just run off.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I have learned to never say never...

Personally, I don't like them and would really not like to have to use one... so I will avoid it if possible. 

Being realistic... I can imagine there might be times that it would be best to have one (traveling in an airport as the only adult with multiple young children and other such situations really) and if/when that time comes I will do what is best to keep my children safe from wandering off or being snatched up by a stranger.

1/8/12 Confection Shrug Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

Let's just say I'm not against it.

My sister was a holy terror as a child.  She hated the stroller and learned to break out of it pretty much right after she learned to walk.  It only took one time "losing" my sister at Mervyn's (little sh!t was hiding inside one of those circular racks of clothes - I still remember this so vividly) for my mother to put a leash on her.  That way, my sister got to be free of the dreaded stroller, but couldn't wander away.

Ethan Michael - 12/21/09
    Norah Jewel - 2/26/14

• Options

Yep, I'd use one.  I think they are both useful and safe in places like the zoo, amusement parks, the airport, etc. where there are a ton of people, you can easily be distracted, and if you turn your head for one second, you child can disappear in a crowd.

Would I use one in the grocery store?  No.  But I do think they have their place!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My parents used on of the old school velcro wrist band ones on me. One of my earliest memories is of undoing the band and running into a crowded toy store at the mall. My dad found me and had to buy a toy dr. bag because i had opened the packaging .....they were not happy. lol Maybe the new ones work a little better.
  • Options
    imagepnarmenta:

I will not!  The other day I saw a lady with one on her son and she was standing and he was next to her, he went to run and the thing yanked his little body and he fell and hit his head on the tile floor really hard!! Sad

Well this was the ladies fault, not the product.  I wouldn't base my decision on a stranger's actions.

• Options
    imageC12H22O11:

Let's just say I'm not against it.

My sister was a holy terror as a child.  She hated the stroller and learned to break out of it pretty much right after she learned to walk.  It only took one time "losing" my sister at Mervyn's (little sh!t was hiding inside one of those circular racks of clothes - I still remember this so vividly) for my mother to put a leash on her.  That way, my sister got to be free of the dreaded stroller, but couldn't wander away.

LMAO! I used to do that...but my parents always knew where I was

• Options
    I swore I'd never use one, but I did a total 180 after hanging out with friends with a toddler.  We went to an amusement park, and she was refusing to go in her stroller or be held, and wanted to be independent.  So, they busted out the leash, and she had a blast.  And who wants their toddler holding their hand up while holding your hand for a long time while walking with you?  To all the non-leash believers, I say get over it.  lol 
  • Options
    *** no!  A child is not a dog.  I make fun of child leashes every time I see them. 
    My son is toddling his way to two! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I think they r so stupid...I see so many kids with them on and parents tugging them...lol....I remember when I was younger they had just like a leash parents would tug their kids around with...my mom knew better...and so do i....
  • Options
    imageJibbelle:

LOL   No!

My child will be well behaved enough that they will not need a leash.  :)

Sorry but I had to LOL at this.  As someone with a 2 year old who is relatively well behaved and who cannot run quite so fast anymore if he decides to take off, I have definitely considered it at times.

• Options

imageXXLAURAF:
    I think they r so stupid...

However, not as "stoopid as yer spelling."  Hmm

• Options
    imageTaylor44:
    imagepnarmenta:

Well this was the ladies fault, not the product.  I wouldn't base my decision on a stranger's actions.

How?  The product was on the little boy, the product was the thing stopping him, isn't that the point of them?  To stop little ones from running???  If she let had let him go he would not have fallen, but the thing we are discussing is the product...and I didn't like them to begin with, this just backed why I don't.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Wondering how many of the people without children yet will change their minds when they see how kids have a mind of their own. Even the "well behaved" ones. I don't have kids yet, but I was with my nieces from day 0 until 3 years old and I know better than to "count my eggs"!
    2 angel babies, 6 year old post Clomid. 
    Newly engaged and TTC 
  • Options
    Indifferent
  • Options

NEVER!

My brother, sister, and I all knew how to behave while in countless airports as children. Even with my mom, by herself, when we were meeting my dad at his base.

It's called discipline. ?

• Options

imagegkatieh:
    Wondering how many of the people without children yet will change their minds when they see how kids have a mind of their own. Even the "well behaved" ones. I don't have kids yet, but I was with my nieces from day 0 until 3 years old and I know better than to "count my eggs"!

I was wondering the same thing. Yes

• Options
    If my LO is like my DH, I probably won't have a choice.  I think it really depends on the child.
  • Options
    imageLeah&Jack:
    imagerapst1:
    imageLeah&Jack:

This couple that used to live a few doors down from me used to tie their three year old daughter to their CLOTHESLINE when they were outside. They didn't want her to wander off and fall into a lake that was a block away.

No I will not and have not put a leash on my kid! 

Surely you are NOT serious!  Sounds like these people need a dog, not a baby.  Now, I am not judging people who use them, I don't think I will, but seriously, to tie the kid up in your own yard...bad idea in my opinion!

Yes, I'm serious. I couldn't make that up.  

Hehehehe it sounds like one of the dog runners. My mom has one for her yorkie when we go camping :)

Newly engaged and TTC 
  • Options

imagekmtfu:

She's just helping him with his push ups

LOL jk

Newly engaged and TTC 
  • Options
    imageJibbelle:

LOL   No!

BAH HA HA HA HA HA HAH AH AHA HAHHAHAA!!!!!

::wipestear::

OMG I think I just peed myself!  LOL!!!   You my dear, are in for a rude awakening.  :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    The Mouse ~ 06.12.08 | The Froggy ~ 02.23.11

• Options

imagegetnmarried910:
    Yep.  We already do and they still feel free without actually being free.  I never thought I would, but when you have a toddler walking and a stroller to push and you're by yourself, they sure come in handy!

My mom had me on one when I was a kid b/c I would talk to anyone and everyone and she was afraid someone would snatch me if she blinked.

I always though no, I wont but this above situation from getnmarried makes me re-think that wholeheartedly. Tongue Tied

"Great hearts steadily send forth the secret forces that incessantly draw great events." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson~ Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageJibbelle:

LOL   No!

Mine too! lol

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Seriously, I think this should definitely be a 'never say never' issue, ESPECIALLY for people that aren't parents of toddlers yet!! Some of these responses make me laugh! If you think you're child will never struggle to get away from you, or that it's lazy parenting, just you wait! Of course that's not to say that every child could use one or that it suits every persons parenting style, but don't judge until you've been in that busy/crowded situation with a screaming toddler that just wants to wander. On that note, we haven't used one on DS yet b/c he's still content on his stroller, but I won't say we never will.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Regarding the baby getting snapped back and hitting his head-

That's very unfortunate and I feel so bad for him AND his mother.

But that's just like anything else. Something is going to have a negative effect and you'll have a negative outcome. That will happen with ANYTHING we get for our kids. carseats, high chairs, bumb seats, anything. There is a freak inident with everything. 

I have a Bumbo seat and I know better than to put it on the table or leave the baby when he's strong enough to lean and tip it over because of possible accidents, but I'm not ruling it out. 

I know a 3 year old who died in a car accident because she was in her car seat properly. Does that mean I'm not going to put my kid in a car seat? 

Nothing out there is perfect. Everything will work for some and not for others. Don't rule something out completely just yet!

Newly engaged and TTC 
  • Options
    imageJibbelle:

LOL   No!

Wow... it's amazing you know what your toddler will be like...

Until you have one... you have no right to judge others with them.

It is a device that allows toddlers to think they are free and independant which the want... but still gives parents peace of mind.

Wow.. look she really hates hers...in fact she will ask for 'dog' image 

• Options

I don't know - I'm not ruling anything out until I have a toddler and an infant to take care of.

• Options
    I use one with my VERY well-behaved DD, who generally holds my hand at all times when she is not in her stroller.  I have her little teddy bear on her, and I have the tail on my wrist while I hold her hand.  It's not a "lazy" thing, or even about misbehaved LO's.  It's about safety.  I just started using it recently - when we did a walking tour and sent to a museum.  My DD is fiercely independent, and I want to encourage that while teaching her that she needs to stay with us.  The main reason I bought it is we travel several times a year, just the two of us, and after sitting in the stroller and on the plane, she really is ready to walk and stretch when we hit our layover.  I had a hell of a time keeping her corralled last time and I think this will really help on our next trip.
  • Options
    I find it amusing that most of those very against using them are those who don't have kids yet.
    My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagegkatieh:
    This. Honestly, people have NO IDEA.  ha!
  • Options

imagemadhatter2003:
    I find it amusing that most of those very against using them are those who don't have kids yet.

Exactly

Never say never...

Newly engaged and TTC 
  • Options
    imagepnarmenta:
    imageTaylor44:
    imagepnarmenta:

How?  The product was on the little boy, the product was the thing stopping him, isn't that the point of them?  To stop little ones from running???  If she let had let him go he would not have fallen, but the thing we are discussing is the product...and I didn't like them to begin with, this just backed why I don't.

Did the mom pull back at all or did he just fall?  My DD tried to run twice and never fell.  I have to think it'd take more force than just him trying to run.

• Options

I think it is just one of those things where there are different types of parents who use them.  

Some parents discipline well, have very well behaved children, and choose to use the leash as a back up when they are in crazy places like airports, state fairs, etc. There is definitely that fear that your child could get snatched in a second no matter how well behaved they are.

But there are definitely parents out there that put no effort into discipline at all and just throw their kid on the leash.  I am sure most of us have seen it.  That said, just because there are parents out there that do this and have terribly behaved kids does not mean that all parents use the leash in this way.

If you use it as a tool in combination with proper teaching and discipline I don't see what the problem is with having that extra layer of safety in today's society.  It's not the 1950's anymore, unfortunately. 

• Options
    I never used them with my two kids and will not be using one with my baby.
  • Options
    imageHulahoop1234:

I think it is just one of those things where there are different types of parents who use them.  

Some parents discipline well, have very well behaved children, and choose to use the leash as a back up when they are in crazy places like airports, state fairs, etc. There is definitely that fear that your child could get snatched in a second no matter how well behaved they are.

But there are definitely parents out there that put no effort into discipline at all and just throw their kid on the leash.  I am sure most of us have seen it.  That said, just because there are parents out there that do this and have terribly behaved kids does not mean that all parents use the leash in this way.

If you use it as a tool in combination with proper teaching and discipline I don't see what the problem is with having that extra layer of safety in today's society.  It's not the 1950's anymore, unfortunately. 

Great points! well said :)

Newly engaged and TTC 
  • Options

LOL. Discipline. LOL. Well-behaved toddler. LOL...

Some of you have NO clue, huh? None whatsoever. You can "discipline" your toddler until you are blue in the face and sometimes, even your perfect, disciplined, well-behaved toddler is going to do what THEY want to do. Funny thing about toddlers, you see, is that they have a mind of their own. And they think they are always right.  And this is every toddler on the face of the planet. Nest cliche coming....believe me, you'll see.

I have never used a harness, but I haven't had the need quite yet. I know for a fact that I would use one in a situation where we were at an over-crowded place, etc. 

• Options
    imageAnniekins214:
    imageJibbelle:

LOL   No!

Where do I sign up for one of those kids?

lol Yes

• Options
    I have one and we've used it often.  I was hesitant a first to use one. My daughter loved putting on her backpack when we went to busy places.  She has ALWAYS hated her stroller.  I'd rather not have a fight about getting in the stroller.  It allowed her to walk around but gave me the peace of mind knowng that she was ok.  Most of the time she stays right by me, but I am not going to force her to constantly hold my hand when we are someplace neat with lots of things for her to see.  I first got it when we were planning a trip to the New Orleans zoo and Aquarium.  Most of the time I keep the "tail tucked into the pocket in the back and only use it when it gets really crowded.  It is not me being LAZY or her being an undisciplined little brat.  She is very well behaved and like I said on most occasions she stays right next to DH and I but I don't feel she should have to hold my hand constantly.  The back pack came in handy when we went to Disney World.  We flew and connected through Miami.  She wore it every day in the parks. It was a nice reasurance that she was ok.  All it takes is a second for someone to snatch up a child even in the "happiest place on earth". 
    Proud Air Force Wife!
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"