August 2023 Moms
Options

Questions Mega Thread

Re: Questions Mega Thread

• Options
    @emeraldcity603 yeah after the shock and everything I had a few people excited, my sister made sure I had a good shower and got everything I need and was really how I got through my pregnancy! It was hard trying to attach to him while I was pregnant. It is so different this time around
  • Options
    Hi All! 

I’m currently 9 weeks pregnant. We got to see baby last week everything looked good heartbeat was 176.

I cramped the worst weeks 4-7 and have not really had much of an issue since just a tinge here and there.

I have been spotting basically my whole pregnancy which has been so tough on my anxious heart. It’s mostly been brown but the last few days it has been brown some times and then bright red others. My OB said as long as I’m not filling up 2 pads with bright red blood and not in very bad pain I should be okay. She did advise not to workout until my next appointment on the 3rd. 

Has anyone else experienced this? It makes me so scared and sad. 

It is only when I wipe and usually after a BM I’m not straining hardly at all so it is so weird. The bright red blood can be enough to wipe twice TMI I know  but then it seems to stop but I’m worried
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @knottie the only bleeding I have ever had was due to a SCH. 
  • Options
    @knottie Bleeding can happen for many reasons in the first trimester. I’ve never been diagnosed with SCH but have had extended bleeding/spotting in all of my last three pregnancies. One very common reason is friable cervix—which just means that your cervix gets easily irritated and can bleed because of it. In early pregnancy, there are so many changes happening in your uterus (included new blood vessels growing) that some bleeding can occur without any particular cause. Bleeding can also be hormone related. If your doctor is advising taking a break from exercise, I would definitely follow that advice. I hope the bleeding stops soon!
  • Options
    Question: really random but I’m almost done with my first trimester one more week. My so read somewhere I’m not supposed to eat grapes? And I just ate like 15 and looked confused bc they were on sale 3 lbs for 3.99 and so I bought them?? Can I eat grapes while pregnant? 
  • Options
    @lmn823 I’ve never heard of grapes not being okay for pregnancy
  • Options
    @lmn823 I’ve not heard that either. The bump has a food safety resource and it says they’re safe, just wash well (which goes for any fruit and veg).
  • Options
    @lmn823 never heard of grapes being on the Don't Eat list. I mowed down like half a pound of them over the weekend... Did he perhaps mean we shouldn't have them after they become wine? He may have more of a case there... ;)
  • Options
    Also have not heard of avoiding grapes which I hope I’m not wrong because I ate pretty much only grapes from weeks like 4-7😂😂
  • Options
    My SO saw an article that said no pineapples, grapes, and papaya but I’m not sure what the source was. I figured I would ask all you moms to make sure 
  • Options
    @lmn823 pineapple has an enzyme that can soften the cervix. I think it’s ok to eat some, but not too much. I drank a whole container of pineapple juice in an attempt to go into labor at 40 weeks with my DS. All I can think of for grapes is that too much might cause constipation? When DS was stool withholding it was a food I remember he wasn’t supposed to eat too much of. No idea on papaya. 
  • Options
    @lmn823 haven’t heard of those either. But yes I’ve heard of women either eating a ton of pineapple or drinking pineapple juice or induce labor. But I think you have to eat quite a bit. 
    Dx: Non-IR PCOS
    Baby Girl K #1 Born 3/8/14
    Baby Girl K #2 EDD 3/3/19
  • Options
    For the pineapple thing, the enzyme is primarily in the core of the pineapple -- which we don't eat. So I think I read you'd have to eat like an entire pineapple, regularly, as close to the core as possible, for it to even approach any iffy levels for a normal pregnancy. (Obviously if your cervix was compromised, probably don't test that, but under most circumstances, you're fine.)
  • Options
    Pineapple burns my mouth so bad I have never used that as a method to induce labor. Last time I did sideways stair walks and ended up taking an herbal tincture my midwives gave me. I was looking at a hospital induction because he was overdue and I wasn’t willing to wait until 42 weeks because I knew my dates were right. Plus I’m “old” so carrying a baby past 41 weeks is not something I’m willing to do for many reasons. 
  • Options
    I have seen videos on some women saying that they inserted (not orally) “evening primrose” capsules for inducing labor. Has anyone heard of that? And drinking raspberry leaf tea. Ill be almost 38 by the time of my labor so I will take any suggestions 
  • Options
    Yep, heard of that too. I had DS at 41w5d. Even though I was only 29 and low risk, my (nurse) midwife team had been talking inducing labor since 39 weeks. I drank the tea, pineapple juice, declined the primrose oil (inserted vaginally), I think once I let them try the cervix swiping trick, but I don’t remember. Lots of walking. Sex at that point can help too, if your up for it. 

I think what finally did it for me was I found an oil blend with clary sage and applied that to my lotion and rubbed it all over my belly. Also I was having prodromal labor (different from Braxton hicks) so every night I was starting early labor contractions but then I’d go to bed and sleep them off. So the day I applied the oil I also didn’t go to bed 😬 do not recommend. I ended up not getting more than 20 min increments of sleep until 6 days later. Even then it wasn’t more than an hour at a time with a newborn and all. 
  • Options
    @lmn823 I drank 2 cups of raspberry leaf tea starting at 37 weeks (my doctor’s personal recommendation), my kids arrived 39w4d, 37w and 39w6d(?). My understanding is that it doesn’t induce labour, but helps tone the uterus and in theory shorten labour/make contractions more effective. I did have short labours, but I don’t think it was because of the tea.

I will still drink it again this go around! It certainly didn’t hurt. I also drink it during my period to help with cramps. I just like it as a tea.
  • Options
    Red raspberry leaf tea only tones the uterus. I had an irritable uterus at the end of my last pregnancy and when I drank red raspberry tea it stopped my contractions. I tried the primrose oil last time. I will say it caused my cervix to feel achy in the mornings. I don’t really feel it did anything and I doubt I do it again. I also bounced on a yoga ball and did a bunch of hip circles on it and that did nothing as well. My body was so ready but I just couldn’t get things going. It was actually one of two labors that didn’t start with my water breaking. I prefer my water to break. Baby gets into position and things move along. Although, I may have not made it to the car before having him. It would have been so fast. That labor was only 3.5 hours. Had my water been broke it would have been lightening fast. 

Random story to show my stupidity….
    I went on a 3 mile hike 2 hours away from the nearest hospital at 36 weeks last pregnancy. I also carried my toddler on my back the entire time. I was contracting by the time I got off the trail. Had I actually gone into labor I would have delivered him on the trail with all the kids and the moms I was with. It would have been quite the story. I don’t plan to do anything like that this time.
  • Options
    @emeraldcity603 Wow! You are a trooper lol and thank goodness nothing happened on the trail! 
  • Options
    @ki1244 that story is hilarious actually😂

I had preterm labor with my first from like 32 weeks-38 weeks, on strict bed rest. At 38 weeks they said I could relax on the bedrest a bit and it all stopped. Ended up going 5 days overdue and convinced it was the chipotle I had that afternoon that put me in labor lol
  • Options
    @ki1244 That story is amazing! Hilarious that it was the same woman. I’m surprised they didn’t induce her that second time around. Labors and deliveries are all so different though so you can’t guarantee that it would go as fast. I have had a wide range of delivery times. In order from first to last…15 hours, 12 hours, 3 hours, 6 hours, 9 hours, 3.5 hours. One OB wanted to induce me after my first 3 hour labor. I said no and good thing because it was such a smooth progression. I can honestly say it was the least painful of all my babies. 
  • Options
    @emeraldcity603 this was like the late 70s/early 80s (before I was born, for sure). She just was chronically bad at gauging how quickly labor was progressing, it turns out.

He's had some fun stories to share (40+ years in medicine will give you some doozies) but that one's up there for me as a favorite. He also had a mom who was delayed on her discharge after delivery because she hadn't named her baby yet (back when you DID have to have a name for discharge) because she insisted the hospital already named her baby, Female. She liked how it sounded so even after correction (obviously she felt dumb not realizing that) she respelled it to Femolly and kept that as her daughter's name.
  • Options
    This is my first pregnancy…. I’m going a little stir crazy. Im a very active and social person but we just moved to a new state and in the middle of nowhere at that…. I need ideas for stuff to do while pregnant! I go to work, workout, drink tea and go to sleep. It’s getting extremely mundane! Help!!!
  • Options
    Apparently eating to many grapes because they contain resveratrol, a toxic compound that could cause poisoning or other pregnancy complications. But apparently you need to eat a ton of grapes to even be close to causing issues. 
  • Options
    Anyone have a strong feeling about what they are having? I can usually tell by my morning sickness symptoms. If they are super strong it’s usually a girl. If I barely suffer from morning sickness it’s typically a boy. It’s been true for every pregnancy. This last one has had me confused. I have definitely felt sick at times but I have also had days where I feel absolutely fine. So it’s a toss up. I’m hoping for a girl but will be happy to just take home a healthy baby. I was just curious if anyone has strong feelings either way. 
  • Options
    @emeraldcity603 I have a strong feeling that it’s a girl just with how different this pregnancy is from my pregnancy with DS. I am so sick all the time, I’m exhausted, and I’m getting headaches and just overall feel pretty terrible. I had all these to an extent with DS minus the headaches but nothing like this. I’m usually wrong when guessing anyone’s babies gender but I’ve recently guessed two friends babies correctly so I have a little hope! That and everyone has said I’m having a girl, not one person has said they feel like I’m having a boy. Like everyone has just already assumed it’s a girl😂
  • Options
    @emeraldcity603 @justyouraveragemama such a good question. I suspect girl this time because with DS, I had a dream very early on of a little boy running in the yard with DH. And from then on I “knew” it was a boy and I was right. We waited till birth to find out. This time we are finding out in a couple weeks, and I had another dream about a girl at the beginning. And if what you say is right about symptoms this pregnancy has been worse in terms of nausea. All that said, I know I want a girl and I’m terrified of being wrong 😂 
  • Options
    @emeraldcity603 my symptoms have been very different this time around which makes me suspect girl (I hope!) but I know every pregnancy is different. Plus the boy genes are strong on DH's side. MIL already has 4 grandsons  :D 
  • Options
    My husband thinks boy, and today my daughter said she thinks it's a boy too but wants a girl. Gotta say...I'm hoping for girl (I have no idea what to do with boys except be fully NOT interested in all the "boy" stuff my nephew loves...) but I'm nervous they're right. I have no strong feeling either way though. I was more tired with this one but I chalk that up to being 38 and having a kid already, but I never really had much for symptoms with my daughter either. But we do blood work Thursday so will find out whenever the results get turned around!
  • Options
    I feel super similar to my last pregnancy (hardly any symptoms), but I don't know that it necessarily means anything. I think it's hereditary. My sister also had very easy pregnancies and she has two boys and a girl.

I think the only thing that might push me one way or another is if I have another SUA pregnancy again. I had that with my daughter and it's more common with girl pregnancies. It's the only thing that made me think girl and I was still super convinced I was having a boy up until I delivered lol. I go to MFM tomorrow to get checked out and to talk about that possibility, so we'll see. I think they'll probably still have to wait for my anatomy scan to see if I have it this time around.
  • Options
    I had minimal symptoms with DS, and this pregnancy seems to be going the same way. Very early on I felt a bit more nauseous at times, so I was hopeful for a girl, but overall I feel the same as I did with him. 
    @ki1244 you don’t have to do “boy” things with a boy. I work with little kids and in my experience they all like the same activities to varying degrees. And their interests are random and unpredictable. You can sway it a little too just by what kinds of activities you do as a family and what your children have available to play with. And their interests change just like any persons. You aren’t doomed to trucks, bugs, and bathroom humor lol 
  • Options
    @tumbleweed-1 I agree! My daughter is getting a dump truck and some of the construction site books for her birthday lol. She also plays with babies some too!
  • Options
    I definitely don’t think that every woman has lots of symptoms with girls or none with boys. It’s just been my pattern. If I hadn’t had so many pregnancies to go by I wouldn’t even believe it. My SIL’s pregnancies have been the same almost and she had a girl and is now having a boy. 
  • Options
    @tumbleweed-1 @msjaay my daughter equally loves her baby dolls and construction equipment! I know it can be anything...but I also see my nephew kind of guided into more "genteel" things and he basically just attacks my husband every time we're together because that's the only place he's allowed to roughhouse, and spends hours making me play Beyblades or Ninjago or whatever his most recent interest is (none of which are actually interesting...). And THAT'S the piece I'm like "no thank you, give me My Little Pony and princesses". Or sports! Shoot, I lived and breathed athletics for 10 years at work, by choice, not even counting the other five of my husband coaching full time. I can hold my own with sports! Just...not the "I need to attack everything and eat this bug" phase.
  • Options
    My daughter I had food aversion but other wise very little to no symptoms. This time was way sicker and tired to start, but slowly feeling better and also way more cravings and appetite. So we will see it’s a 8 year gap between the two and no other pregnancy’s between so we will see. I don’t have any strong feeling yet but kinda leaning towards boy 
  • Options
    I’m out of 7 girls so I have 6 older sisters, my father had no boys. Out of all my siblings there are 3 nieces and 11 nephews. The youngest are all boys and the youngest girl is 16 years old. I asked my parents what they think I’m having and they just said girl 🤷🏻‍♀️ or I’m sure they’re hoping girl. My SO already has a boy so who knows what we will have. 
  • Options
    Everyone says girl because we already have two girls. The girls are saying girl and that they don’t want a brother. I’m going to hold out hope for that ultrasound but it’s probably another girl; I just don’t want to admit it to them 😂 
    Dx: Non-IR PCOS
    Baby Girl K #1 Born 3/8/14
    Baby Girl K #2 EDD 3/3/19
  • Options
    @pickle-chips we’re looking at the same track record! SO is one of 3 boys and through all his aunts, uncles, and cousins…there are 4 girls I believe lol BUT his brother did have 1 boy 1 girl so maybe there’s a chance😂