April 2023 Moms
Options

Pregnancy After Loss Safe Space

13»

Re: Pregnancy After Loss Safe Space

• Options
    Woke up this morning with no nausea after some painful cramping yesterday. I'm freaking out I lost this baby too. (My first MMC happened that way.) 

The only thing keeping my anxiety under control is that new symptoms popped up, round ligament pain (no pain just stretching) and nasal congestion.

Going to contact my ob and see if I can go in for a doppler check since my next appt isn't until 9/28. And of course we're hosting a dinner tonight so gotta put on a happy face since no one knows yet. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    @returning_bump_member try not to worry too much, symptoms do come & go (I know with our history it is hard to think positively) but I am sending prayers your way that all is ok!! 
    TTM - EDD 4/23 - Team Green <3 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    So, I am technically a month behind you guys, but because of my daughter's complicated birth last year, we will be delivering no later than April 15, 2023, 36+5. We lost our daughter, Raven, 2 weeks after her birth (at 30 weeks, growth restricted to 25 weeks) to catastrophic NEC. She was born incredibly healthy and strong for as small as she was, but NEC just sometimes happens to premies. I had 4 miscarriages (all at or prior to 8 weeks) before Raven's healthy birth, and I'm terrified that this rainbow will be taken away just like Raven and her siblings. So much so that I cannot seem to let myself get excited about this baby. Just bundles of anxiety pent up inside that I can't express. Raven's room, which will be the new baby's room, still sits exactly as it was since the day she passed in August of 2021, and I still can't bring myself to touch any of it. Part of me is afraid of this baby being real because I will have to take down Raven's things, but at the same time, I am desperate to get to be a mom full time and actually bring a baby home to sleep in the beautiful nursery we created. If this baby is a girl, we can keep most of the things we put up for Raven, but if this baby is a boy, I will have to take down and put away (at least if not sell/ give away) all of the things we put together for her nursery. How do I deal with this? I've read that I shouldn't touch anything until I was ready, but at the same time, I won't be giving this new baby the preparation and excitement that they deserve, like Raven got. Also, most people who lost infants wait longer before they try again, but I'm 31. I'm running out of time. I don't know how to put all these anxieties aside and be excited for this rainbow while I'm still grieving my firstborn.
  • Options
    etnyahetnyah member
    edited September 2022
    @kweller2019 oh my gosh. What you’ve been through is incredibly hard and I completely understand not feeling excited about your current pregnancy. I think anyone would be terrified in your shoes. I don’t know a lot about that kind of loss and grief, but to me, what you’re doing sounds completely normal, no need to touch the nursery yet. And yes, while many wait longer, I don’t think it’s out of the norm to try again soon after. You needed to do what you were comfortable with. Someone from my previous bmb lost her baby a few weeks after birth too, and she got pregnant again just a few months later. 

Basically, I don’t think there’s any right or wrong way to feel, or right or wrong thing to do. This baby, if it turns out to be your rainbow, will not erase the memory of your firstborn. Even if the room has to be changed. But if you’re not ready to change the nursery once you’re further along, that’s not terrible either. You will be able to give the new baby the love and excitement they deserve no matter what, even with an incomplete nursery. Do not feel like you’re letting either of your children down, you’re doing the best you can and it’s more than enough. Hugs, I hope this pregnancy goes well and that you get your rainbow ❤️
    DS born 2/18/2019
    DD born 4/1/2023
    Baby #3 EDD 11/21/2024
  • Options
    I appreciate it. I'm really hoping things turn out well this time. Our counselor is always stressing to not let any doubt creep in, not to even entertain that this baby might not make it or that they will even be in the NICU. It's just hard when all you've known is loss to think of anything else. It just hurts to try to be excited. By nature, I'm very skeptical of anything happy or exciting, always waiting for the other shoe to drop. I don't want to be that way especially with a baby, but after so much loss, it's hard not to be.
  • Options
    @kweller2019 I am so sorry for all that you have gone through. I think @etnyah has shared some wonderful advice. There is no instruction manual for grieving parents, whatever you feel is best for you emotionally is what you should do. Sending lots of love your way. 
  • Options
    @kweller2019 I think what your counselor is saying is easier said than done! It’s impossible to be pregnant and not worry. I think it’s normal to wait for the other shoe to drop, it’s a way to protect yourself in case something actually does happen. With your experience I don’t think anyone would fault you for feeling that way.

Also, regarding your feeling towards your current pregnancy: early on in pregnancy I think it’s difficult to bond with any baby. They’re physically in your body, but you can’t see it or feel it yet, so they’re really just an idea of a baby at this point. It’s nothing like later on when you’re feeling kicks, or after birth when you’re actually holding them in your arms. Even then, not feeling it right away is normal too! 

I have a son and I’m having a hard time imagining loving the baby in my belly the same way I love him. I know I will once they’re born, but it’s just so abstract at this point. Trying to force excitement doesn’t work, and when you fail, guilt sets in. In reality you have nothing to feel guilty about. The way you’re feeling now is so normal. Your new baby will be loved once you’re ready to let your guard down, and it’s okay if that takes a while. 
    DS born 2/18/2019
    DD born 4/1/2023
    Baby #3 EDD 11/21/2024
  • Options
    Thank you, @etnyah. That makes me feel better. You're right. It's normal not to feel bonded to the baby yet when they don't move or have a face yet. There's not really any chance for interaction yet. I'm sure when I feel them start to move and react to food or sound it will be different. Thanks again!
  • Options
    @kweller2019 My counsellor recently reminded me how much courage it takes to try again, and even though it's tough to step back and see that in ourselves, I am reminded of how right she is when I hear stories of other women who have experienced loss. In case you haven't heard it lately, I want you to know how courageous you are to open yourself up again to this experience.  <3

My losses have been different from yours, but I can really empathize with the fear and mixed emotions you're having. In my experience this time around, after two back-to-back miscarriages earlier this year, it's so tough to let myself feel connected to the little one growing and to let myself feel excited because of how the previous experiences went down. There's a lot of trauma, both bodily and emotionally, that no one is prepared for when they go through loss, and even as hard as we try to be optimistic and hopeful there's definitely a part of us that is protective - like by not being excited or not feeling connected, we'll hurt just a bit less if things go wrong. And, if that's how you're feeling, I think it's okay for that protective part to be there. 

Sending lots of positive energy your way!
  • Options
    I just wanted to say thank you to you all for sharing your experiences with one other. <3. We have a very strong community here in April 2023!
    MY CHART
    TTC History
    TTC#2
    Me: 40.5; MH: 39 | Met 02/2009 | Started Dating 08/2017 | Married 02/02/2020
    TTC #2 ... preparing as of March 2024

TTC #1
    Me: 36, MH: 34 | Met 02/2009 | Started Dating 08/2017 | Married 02/02/2020
    TTC #1 02/2020 - 07/2022
    2009 | Dx PCOS; likely a misdiagnosis
    07/14/20 | Dx Hashimoto's Thyroditis
    07/21/20 | 1st RE appointment
    07/2120 - 08/20/20 | so much testing; no signs of PCOS
    08/20/20 | Dx Unexplained; AMA
    09/08/20 | IUI #1 Clomid + Trigger + Prometrium | BFN
    09/30/20 | Urology consult; more testing required
    10/2020 | Clomid + OPK + TI + Prometrium | BFN
    10/26/2020 | Starting 2nd IUI cycle, with Letrazole and with a new RE / different clinic
    11/03/2020 | New Dx "poor egg quality"; IUI cancelled in favor of Trigger + TI + Prometrium | BFN
    11/26/2020 | Combo IUI (Clomid + Menopur) + Trigger + Prometrium | BFN
    12/20/2020 | Combo IUI (Clomid + Gonal-F) + Trigger | IUI Cancelled due to thin lining; TI only | BFN
    01/14/2021 | Combo IUI (Letrazole + Menopur) + Trigger | BFN
    02/06/2021 | Switched to a new RE (TEW) ; trying naturally until we complete additional testing 
    03/14/2021 | Hybrid Double IUI, with Zymot (Letrazole, Gonal-F) + Trigger + Endometrin | Ovulated 4 mature eggs but still a BFN ☹️
    04/07/2021 | Natural cycle while we regroup | BFN
    04/09/2021 | Employer announces fertility benefits starting 05/01/2021! | Search for a new doctor who accepts insurance
    05/10/2021 | New RE consult & plan for IVF
    05/13/2021 | Mid-luteal IVF cycle #1 interrupted; had to get cancer genetic screening done to make sure I didn't have the same SDHA gene mutation as MH. 
    06/10/2021 | Aygestin priming IVF cycle #1; opted to Cx after 9 days of stims since only 5-6/12 follicles responded
    07/26/2021 | Attempt #2 at IVF cycle #1 (mid-luteal start): 8 retrieved, 8 MII, 6 fert (1 PN3), 3 Day 5 & 6 blasts: 3AA, 3AA, 6AB; 3 euploid
    08/09/2021 | Rest cycle / unmedicated TTC | Shockingly, a BFP! EDD: 5/25/202 | CP at 4w4d
    09/23/2021 | IVF cycle #2 (mid-luteal start): 14 retrieved, 13 MII, 11 fert, 5 Day 5 & 6 blasts: 2 x 3AA, 2 x 3AB, 3BB; 2 euploid
    11/12/2021 | IVF cycle #3 (mid-luteal start): cancelled due to ovaries being on vacation
    12/20/2021 | Rest cycle / unmedicated TTC + Pregmune Immunology Testing; BFN
    01/22/2022 | Rest cycle / unmedicated TTC + understanding uncovered immunological issues; BFN
    02/18/2022 | Mock transfer cycle! ERA, ReceptivaDx, EMMA/ALICE; start Prednisone to address NK activity
    03/16/2022 | Final, "Hail Mary" super-ovulation + TI cycle before FET; BFP! EDD: 12/21/2022 | MMC 05/08/2022
    05/20/2022 | D&C; recovering... 
    06/21/2022 | Trying naturally until October 2022
    07/21/2022 | BFP! EDD 04/02/2023; 👦🏼 born on 4/5/2023

• Options
    @MsBeachNJ

Update to cramping and nausea gone: I had a doppler check on Thursday to ease my nerves and thankfully my ob found it right away at 168! She thinks I'm just transitioning to 2nd trimester and I'm grateful for that... and just to feel better! 

Second update.. we told our my folks last night an they are over the moon! Our 10 y.o is excited but he wants to see my belly get big 😂
  • Options
    @returning_bump_member what wonderful news! So happy for you!
  • Options
    This may seem like a weird question but does anyone else have like, imposter syndrome when it comes to pregnancy? I think it may be because my history of loss & overall inability to find joy in pregnancy right now when I'm constantly questioning if something will go wrong... but like, everyone in our lives pretty much knows now and are all congratulating us, and its very nice, but I am not really showing yet (to others, to myself, I don't fit in my pants) but you wouldn't look at me and say "she's pregnant" I look like maybe I ate too much Halloween candy (spoiler alert, I did!) LOL but I don't know, I just am having this strange imposter syndrome right now when anyone is talking to me about the pregnancy, and I'm trying to reason why. I think I have emotionally removed myself from it almost entirely in case something goes wrong. Anyone have any tips on how to avoid doing that and getting excited? My mind is a constant "what if". I use my doppler like every day now and its still not helping. 
  • Options
    @MsBeachNJ I can definitely relate to this. I feel like I have yet to really connect to this pregnancy because of the anxiety of the what ifs. I find myself needing to protect my heart, though honestly at this point I don't know if I would truly be unaffected by another loss despite not allowing myself that connection, so are my defense mechanisms really helping? I would say probably not, but that doesn't mean they aren't there! I wish I had some suggestions for you. All I'm doing is trying to take it one day at a time and keep my mind distracted with other things. They're not magical solutions, though I wish there was some that was. Also open to hearing others' suggestions as well. 
  • Options
    @MsBeachNJ 100% this. It's so weird when friend are reaching out to me, asking about my bump, and name selection, and etc etc. It's OK for just my husband and I to talk about it, but I get weird when others ask me about it. This being my first baby, I'm also not planning to have a baby shower. There are many reasons for this, but the one that trumps them all is not wanting to celebrate the baby until s/he is safe and healthy in my arms. We're going to do a Sip & See instead 8-12 weeks after the birth. 

I use my doppler every few days as well and it helps since every few days I my anxiety starts to rise. Especially with an anterior placenta which means I don't expect to feel movement for another 4-6 weeks.
    MY CHART
    TTC History
    TTC#2
    Me: 40.5; MH: 39 | Met 02/2009 | Started Dating 08/2017 | Married 02/02/2020
    TTC #2 ... preparing as of March 2024

TTC #1
    Me: 36, MH: 34 | Met 02/2009 | Started Dating 08/2017 | Married 02/02/2020
    TTC #1 02/2020 - 07/2022
    2009 | Dx PCOS; likely a misdiagnosis
    07/14/20 | Dx Hashimoto's Thyroditis
    07/21/20 | 1st RE appointment
    07/2120 - 08/20/20 | so much testing; no signs of PCOS
    08/20/20 | Dx Unexplained; AMA
    09/08/20 | IUI #1 Clomid + Trigger + Prometrium | BFN
    09/30/20 | Urology consult; more testing required
    10/2020 | Clomid + OPK + TI + Prometrium | BFN
    10/26/2020 | Starting 2nd IUI cycle, with Letrazole and with a new RE / different clinic
    11/03/2020 | New Dx "poor egg quality"; IUI cancelled in favor of Trigger + TI + Prometrium | BFN
    11/26/2020 | Combo IUI (Clomid + Menopur) + Trigger + Prometrium | BFN
    12/20/2020 | Combo IUI (Clomid + Gonal-F) + Trigger | IUI Cancelled due to thin lining; TI only | BFN
    01/14/2021 | Combo IUI (Letrazole + Menopur) + Trigger | BFN
    02/06/2021 | Switched to a new RE (TEW) ; trying naturally until we complete additional testing 
    03/14/2021 | Hybrid Double IUI, with Zymot (Letrazole, Gonal-F) + Trigger + Endometrin | Ovulated 4 mature eggs but still a BFN ☹️
    04/07/2021 | Natural cycle while we regroup | BFN
    04/09/2021 | Employer announces fertility benefits starting 05/01/2021! | Search for a new doctor who accepts insurance
    05/10/2021 | New RE consult & plan for IVF
    05/13/2021 | Mid-luteal IVF cycle #1 interrupted; had to get cancer genetic screening done to make sure I didn't have the same SDHA gene mutation as MH. 
    06/10/2021 | Aygestin priming IVF cycle #1; opted to Cx after 9 days of stims since only 5-6/12 follicles responded
    07/26/2021 | Attempt #2 at IVF cycle #1 (mid-luteal start): 8 retrieved, 8 MII, 6 fert (1 PN3), 3 Day 5 & 6 blasts: 3AA, 3AA, 6AB; 3 euploid
    08/09/2021 | Rest cycle / unmedicated TTC | Shockingly, a BFP! EDD: 5/25/202 | CP at 4w4d
    09/23/2021 | IVF cycle #2 (mid-luteal start): 14 retrieved, 13 MII, 11 fert, 5 Day 5 & 6 blasts: 2 x 3AA, 2 x 3AB, 3BB; 2 euploid
    11/12/2021 | IVF cycle #3 (mid-luteal start): cancelled due to ovaries being on vacation
    12/20/2021 | Rest cycle / unmedicated TTC + Pregmune Immunology Testing; BFN
    01/22/2022 | Rest cycle / unmedicated TTC + understanding uncovered immunological issues; BFN
    02/18/2022 | Mock transfer cycle! ERA, ReceptivaDx, EMMA/ALICE; start Prednisone to address NK activity
    03/16/2022 | Final, "Hail Mary" super-ovulation + TI cycle before FET; BFP! EDD: 12/21/2022 | MMC 05/08/2022
    05/20/2022 | D&C; recovering... 
    06/21/2022 | Trying naturally until October 2022
    07/21/2022 | BFP! EDD 04/02/2023; 👦🏼 born on 4/5/2023

• Options
    @MsBeachNJ I can also relate. I have a bad poker face and when folks ask how excited I am, I can't hide my fear that something could still go wrong. I have a gf that just lost her son at 23 weeks so that isn't helping my anxiety. 

I try to take some time every day when I'm lying down to actually feel that bump part that is hard. It isn't much, but it helps.

I've also started making a registry for those that want it and cleaning out a room that will eventually become my son's room (bigger bed) or the nursery if he isn't ready to switch yet. 
  • Options
    @MsBeachNJ The anxiety has been unreal. I’m constantly waiting for the “the other shoe to drop.” I haven’t had any concerning issues to date. No previous losses, my appointments have all been fine, and I’ve had multiple ultrasounds…but nothing eases my fears for more than a few days. 

My husband wants to start buying baby furniture and planning the nursery, but I’m so terrified of getting my hopes up and having my heart broken. Maybe I’ll feel better after the anatomy scan? I really want to feel movement to have more assurance that things are okay. 

TW: I lost my Dad to a quick and devastating battle with Leukemia 2 years ago. I just know that worst case scenarios do happen. 
  • Options
    Hi everyone. it's really nice to read so many women on here being open and honest about losses during and after pregnancy. I don't know who else I could discuss this with honestly. 

I am 6 weeks pregnant today. My last pregnancy ended because we TFMR. I had CMV and baby had all indicators it was infected as well. The baby's bladder had also burst and there was so much fluid in the belly and not enough room for his little head to grow. 

It was devastating. Had to travel to another state to have the procedure done and we just had no indication there was anything wrong until the anatomy scan. NIPT came back low risk, and so it was just devastating. I'm not super worried about contracting CMV again, etc. etc. 

Just thought I'd share on here. I know it does absolutely no good to worry. Just can't help it sometimes. 

• Options
    @flowerchild2022 solidarity here, for sure. I was just telling a friend today that I know statistically the likelihood of something going wrong is much lower than the first tri, but we've been on the wrong side of statistics in our journey too many times before. I am also having a hard time letting go of the worry, and I'm not sure that I'll completely get there. At the same time, I keep telling myself that it's ok to have these feelings and I'm just trying to let it come up when it needs to. I will say, I was trying really hard not to spend money on a doppler, but I went ahead and got one because my anxiety hit an all time high and I needed some kind of sign of life. It has helped knowing that I have the option available to listen in any time I'm feeling the need. Might be worth considering if you feel it could be helpful for you too. Regardless, you are definitely not alone in these feelings. 💛
  • Options
    @flowerchild2022 I absolutely feel the same way as well. Even at almost 21 weeks, I'm waiting to hear bad news at my next appointment or ultrasound. I, too, suffered back to back missed miscarriages and it's hard to trust time/my body. 
    The other day baby was really still so I freaked and ate a sugary snack to hopefully feel the kicks. Well, it backfired and kiddo now karate chops every hour, probably to spite me. 
  • Options
    Aaaand that's why we can't move to a private group fast enough. Using a pregnancy loss safe space thread to shamelessly plug a website is low, even for a bot.
    DS born 2/18/2019
    DD born 4/1/2023
    Baby #3 EDD 11/21/2024
  • Options
    @etnyah 100%. Couldn't agree more. 
  • Options
    etnyahetnyah member
    edited December 2022
    @ladyofarlington totally normal! So many mixed feelings. I remember getting to the due date of my first loss while pregnant with my son, I was just getting out of the first trimester and we were happy and announcing it to people, at the same time I kept thinking “but I should have had a newborn now”. It’s so weird to feel happy and sad at the same time.
    DS born 2/18/2019
    DD born 4/1/2023
    Baby #3 EDD 11/21/2024
  • Options
    @ladyofarlington @etnyah and @trubaby411 I can imagine how difficult those moments must have been.  But definitely happy you ladies are here with us :)