December 2022 Moms
Options

Coping with Pregnancy Anxiety

How are you coping with all of the pregnancy anxiety? I had some spotting this week and although I think I am okay... I spent countless hours looking up every little twinge and symptom. It doesn't help that my partner is away on a business trip this week. I'm trying to distract myself best I can but it's really really hard. Normally I would take a walk which helps but I haven't had the courage to do it yet. Maybe tomorrow? I think I need to leave my phone in my office overnight.

I was curious if anyone else was going through similar or had any ideas on what to do instead.

Re: Coping with Pregnancy Anxiety

• Options
    hi mama! the wait for the first appointment is mentally brutal. I can’t even sugarcoat that! I have my first ultrasound May 9 (DD based on LMP is Dec 25) with my OB. I asked for a confirmation of pregnancy appt (urinalysis) this afternoon and am asking for scattered blood work over the next week or two to review if my HCG levels are rising appropriately. I had a miscarriage in February so, I’m probably being over the top but, it gives me peace of mind. I was also asking my doctor for any therapy resources today as another outlet. good luck and take it easy! thinking of you… 
  • Options
    Sending you a virtual hug. You are not alone.
    Gentle walking helps me too.
    Two tips from my therapist:
    1. Outside time passes faster than inside time! Even if you are able to sit outside with a cup of water for 10min, I find it slightly eases my anxiety.
    2. She gave me an exercise to put my hand in a fist and think of a few things I can control (eating healthy, breathing, being kind to others) and think of a few things outside my fist I can’t control (pretty much everything else during the waiting!). This small exercise has calmed me.

here to listen and support each other xxx
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    my first prenatal is May 2nd (DD is 12/25). My doctor wanted 3 rounds of HCG to check and my numbers have increased in way that they say looks great. I’ve had a lot of CM and I find myself bracing myself in case it’s my period. I’ve also only had tiredness as a symptom so I feel like it’s all a little too easy… it’s so nerve wracking! I just want my ultrasound to know the little beak is growing and doing it’s thing!!
  • Options
    Thank you for the encouragement and ideas. <3 I made plans to go window shopping at the mall with a friend followed by dinner to get some company and light exercise in. I also finally messaged my doctor about the spotting. Sometimes I struggle with not wanting to be 'fussy' about my healthcare but I realized this morning that 1) it's my OB's job to be there for me and 2) now is the time to be fussy. Even though I should feel okay advocating for my own health in normal circumstances, it's extra important now. 

@laurencostello88 My first OB appointment is on the same day as yours :smile: I think it's really great that you are getting the bloodwork to give you peace of mind. I am so sorry about your loss in February. 

@santababy2022 these are great tips! and I love how they can be used for pretty much any situation. 

@knottie20868bee2e73273d I feel you with the bracing and symptoms. I've read so much about how having little to no symptoms, or symptoms coming and going, doesn't really mean anything one way or another. It's so hard. I am sorry to hear about the CMs. 

It was really helpful to hear your experiences, thank you! 

• Options
    Hi @talldecafcappuccino! I also have had some spotting this week - it started on Sunday April 17 and lasted until Tuesday but then started up again yesterday continuing into today. It was always pretty light (brownish tan) and always after wiping when using the bathroom, but I did have some odd colored discharge on Sunday that looked like bits of tissue. Finally this morning I was so anxious that I called my doctor to notify them of the spotting. I was also spending a ton of time researching and working myself up. My first appointment was supposed to be next Thursday (at exactly 8 weeks) but because of the spotting they were able to squeeze me in today and do an ultrasound and for me everything was fine! Got to see the baby and everything is measuring appropriately and the heartbeat is in the 150s. My doctor said that it could either be late implantation bleeding that only now worked it’s way out of my body OR that I could have had a small bleed earlier that resolved but only now expelled. So you could be in a similar situation! My doctor did tell me not to worry, but that if it got increasingly heavy with associated severe cramping to let them know immediately. Not sure if the spotting sounds similar to yours, but it’s possible you could be in the same boat that I am! 
  • Options
    @andvga228 I'm so happy to hear that you and your baby is okay! Yes my spotting sounds very similar. I hope I'm in the same boat. My doc responded this morning saying that my symptoms were very common and if I have an increase in blood or painful cramps to let them know. I feel a bit more relaxed but I would love a scan. Just a couple more weeks for that.
  • Options
    I am so glad you posted this because I’m feeling the same exact way. First pregnancy, DD is 12/25 and my first OB appointment is not until May 3rd. I was told the first appointment is an exam and the following week I’ll have an ultrasound and that seems like an eternity from now. I did get blood work from my doctor and my hcg levels are 156 but I am obsessively wondering if that number has increased. I’ve had friends have miscarriages and I’m terrified, but trying to stay calm. My husband can’t make it to the first appointment, we aren’t telling anyone until we are out of the danger zone so I have to keep secrets and lie to everyone which is stressful. Like someone mentioned earlier, I’m trying to remind myself of what I can control. I did confide in someone at work who has anxiety and has had a pregnancy (she told me she was pregnant too! Tested the same day I did.). I felt so much better after talking to her about it. I hope we all find healthy ways to manage anxiety during this scary first trimester! 
  • Options
    I am struggling with the anxiety of ‘morning’ sickness. So far, it seems to be that I have nausea 3pm-6pm daily, then it passes. 

But I lay awake at night wondering if that’s all it’s going to be, will I get worse and start vomiting? How will I feel tomorrow? Am I going to puke on the airplane in 4 weeks? Etc. I know things are out of my control but the uncertainty of not knowing how I’m going to feel hour to hour sucks.    
  • Options
    I feel you. I’m only about 5 weeks, and I worry daily about if I’m going to be too sick to function. My partner is in a different state for the next 2 months before I move out there (West Coast to East Coast). I am wanting to try and keep working for as long as possible but I know if the nausea gets worse I will have to quit my job because I won’t be able to function at work.
  • Options
    I keep a morning sickness kit in my bag (backpack) and in the car. I had to visit my brother cross country a few days after finding out I was pregnant so I wanted to be prepared. The car one has small towel, change of shirt, sealable vomit bag, disposable tooth brush, spare top, and chapstick. The stuff in my back pack is similar plus extra undies bc I think sneezing/peeing may be a problem later. It doesn't make getting sick any better but feeling prepared helps. We are going to a couple weddings in a few weeks and I'm terrified at getting sick and making a scene.  
  • Options
    @andvga228 - I had a similar scary spotting situation and just returned thankfully from a positive ultrasound. And they are letting me come back in Friday too. 

@talldecafcappuccino - I hope your week is going okay. I feel you on not knowing when to “bother” the doctor but also wanting to advocate for myself. There is no right answer!

I find having a weekly favorite quote, mantra or song lyric to say to myself helps calm me in anxious times. 

For me this week it’s: “hold on through the beautiful” 
    it reminds me that at this moment everything is beautiful and positive so cling to that.

would love to hear any songs or quotes others find comforting!!!

• Options
    I’m currently about 6 weeks. This is my first pregnancy, DD Dec.18th, my first OB appt isn’t until May 4th and I am A MESS. There hasn’t been any textbook “bad” or alarming symptoms, but I am just so scared of something/ anything going wrong. My husband won’t be with me for the majority of my pregnancy (army) and I just have so so so much anxiety about the whole experience. Thank you for opening up this conversation!!
  • Options
    @santababy2022 I feel like I have my feet under me again. Thank you for checking in. 

@hannasimmons We have the same edd! My on appointment is May 9 so they might update it then. Let us know if there's anything we can help support you during the time. Here for you! 
  • Options
    Lots of ladies having their first on may 4th