October 2022 Moms

The Great Big Question Thread!

Re: The Great Big Question Thread!

• @mcclanna I have been cleared to take OTC Zyrtec, but check with your doctor to be sure! 
  • EmilyE13EmilyE13 member
    edited February 2022
    @mcclanna Zyrtec, Claritin, Benadryl,and Xyzal are all category B, which is generally considered safe for pregnancy. The only one I avoid is Allegra, which is category C. You should of course confirm any medications with your doc, and they probably have a list of acceptable medications.  I took Zyrtec during my last pregnancy but I’ve since switched to Xyzal because it works better for me. 

ETA words
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes! Some days I can barely get through without a nap and others I feel great all day.
  • Hi there!
    I know every body is completely different, but I’m a first time mom and was wondering when others started to notice their bump. I am just shy of 7 weeks, and I can really notice a bump. Even my husband was like woah when he noticed it yesterday. For reference I’m 5’7 about 165lbs and had a relatively flat stomach prior.. no six pack by any means though lol just curious if others are noticing by now too. I feel like that’s super early, especially being my first pregnancy. Makes me wonder if there’s multiples in there 😅
  • @knottie9d863e3b977720eb I feel the SAME way. In another community group, I asked this & everyone that responded said that right now it's just bloating and that usually it goes down at about 13/14 weeks. Maybe it's just a psychological way to prepare us for the real belly that's to come 🤣
  • Just joined today, first time posting! I was having pelvic pain and cramping on and off over the last week — it was uncomfortable and at times absolutely crippling. It would come in waves, for 10-20 min at a time. I called my OBGYN and she sent me for a pelvic ultrasound. I went to the appointment this morning and to my surprise, the technician told me I am pregnant, currently 6 weeks 2 days. She couldn’t tell me what was causing the pain, but now I’m just overall anxious that it is a bad sign. I don’t have any other symptoms other than swollen sore breasts, but should I be concerned about the pelvic pain + cramping?
  • Cramping is normal, I also have been having pain, my ob is having me do bloodwork to make sure my levels are good and I am getting an ultrasound as well - they told me if there's no bleeding or pain elsewhere it seems ok!
  • @elliefirsttimemama, it went away that same day. But then this last Thursday at 6w3d I had some brownish-red when I wiped, twice. The third time it was gone and I am constantly checking now! I called my nurse line at my doctors office on Thursday but never heard anything back. From what I have heard from friends and my moms co-worker who used to work for an OB, small amounts of blood are fine especially if they are not accompanied by lots of cramping. Also still feeling all the pregnancy symptoms! Hopefully, I don’t get any more spotting because it is def anxiety inducing!! My first doctors appointment isn’t until the 22nd, so I’m trying to wait patiently lol
  • Any thoughts on sleeping positions during first, second, third trimesters? Dos & donts? Comfy pillows to buy?
  • Hi!! 5w2d and I feel like my symptoms all just disappeared after having a very nauseous week. I’m scared something wrong is happening. Can you let me know your thoughts? This will be my 2nd pregnancy and my son is 2.
  • Super specific question: anyone else get shingles while pregnant?? I’m about 5 weeks, so basically one of my first symptoms was shingles!
  • @mcclanna first trimester you can sleep pretty much however you want, but second trimester onwards sleeping flat on your back is not advised, as the weight in your uterus can compress a major artery if in that position for too long. You may find yourself getting lightheaded in that position after awhile

I personally love the C-shaped snoogle, with an extra regular pillow for my neck. From what I've heard though it's very much personal preference between that, the U -shaped on, or just a wedge for under your bump. There may be other great ones out there but these are the ones I've heard of the most.
  • I’m pregnancy for the first time and that’s the only “symptom” I’ve had so far! Not super intense tho, just mild
  • What is a normal turnaround time for an ob to contact you back after you’ve called the office for something?

I called Thursday to obtain a doc note to wfh for the first trimester, logged it with the nurse but no call back. Friday the nurse said the doc was on call on Thursday and post call (not sure what this means) on Friday so she’d get to me Monday. It’s noon on Monday and so far no call. I feel like if I’m chasing her for something so small, what’ll it be like when it’s something major?

Am I being dramatic? Thoughts appreciated!
  • @krthouse thanks for the info on birthing centre and labour pain. The decision was made for me, since it's twins, the midwife won't take me on! I'm kinda relieved I don't have to make that decision now :) 
  • merostomatamerostomata member
    edited February 2022
    Has anyone done a private U/S due to impatience? My first scan isn't until 10 weeks, and I'm so riddled with anxiety and just want to do a check. With my daughter I got an U/S at 8 weeks, and that was hard enough to wait for, lol.

@mcclanna it can be frustrating when you don't hear back quickly! I'd give it until the end of the day today if they said Monday, and call tomorrow if you don't hear back. Being on-call can be really rough for a doc, and I think post-call means they will spend the next day documenting and recovering. I think it's a regulation thing since they had been up for 28 hours prior?

@brittdaw gosh, I'm so sorry! I hope it resolves soon. My friend got shingles while in labor and delivery...it sucked. Our immune systems are lowered a lot with pregnancy, so it's really easy to fall ill with all kinds of viruses that we'd normally kick out easily.

• Hi, Question. I am 6 weeks 6 days. i haven’t really had any spotting up until this point. I started bleeding out of nowhere today, it was like one of those periods that start and catches you off guard.

Is this something to worry about :  passed one clot around the size of a nickel and a few small ones? i am waiting to see how the rest of the day goes before calling my OB. I feel like I ask way to many questions since i haven’t even had my first visit. 
  • Hi, Question. I am 6 weeks 6 days. i haven’t really had any spotting up until this point. I started bleeding out of nowhere today, it was like one of those periods that start and catches you off guard.

Is this something to worry about :  passed one clot around the size of a nickel and a few small ones? i am waiting to see how the rest of the day goes before calling my OB. I feel like I ask way to many questions since i haven’t even had my first visit. 
    Call your provider. They’ll advise whether you should come in if not even if it means sooner than scheduled. 
  • ME TOO! Idk how to fix it other than sleeping on top of the covers but then when i get cold i’m frantic to get under them so it’s just back and forth all night but i feel your pain!
  • @iscea My pleasure! If you want an advocate for elements of your original vision for birth a doula can be a great option. If that's something that interests you look for one who specializes in multiples!
  • @darbyneely yes not sleeping well, some anxiety and night sweats as well!! 
  • What have y’all heard about massages while pregnant? I’ve heard both - that they’re beneficial and also that they should be avoided in first trimester. 
  • edited February 2022
    @rockstarmomma152 I happened to have a massage scheduled for the day after I found out I was pregnant, and when I told the masseuse during the intake, she became visibly uncomfortable and told me while there's no evidence to suggest it's harmful, many women avoid it in the first trimester. She literally said "promise not to sue me if something happens". She avoided my lower back as an added precaution. I'll be interested to hear other people's opinions too but will say the masseuse's hesitation impacted my ability to relax (not that it was her fault!! It was just a weird situation). 
  • @katiebeth2022 I’m having the EXACT same symptoms — and I still don’t have an official ob/gyn due to me recently being added to my husband’s health insurance. I went down the Google rabbit hole and I’m trying not to freak out. I’m a bundle of nerves here 😭
  • @rockstarmomma152 I got a lot of massages while pregnant with my first.  I waited till after the first trimester.  Then did monthly and the last month was going weekly.  It really helped with the aches, pains and stress.  The second one, I only had one massage.  I was achy and stressed out.  The plan is get more massages this time around.   Woooosaaaaah!  
  • I've had that with this one. It only happened a few times
  • Hi!! 5w2d and I feel like my symptoms all just disappeared after having a very nauseous week. I’m scared something wrong is happening. Can you let me know your thoughts? This will be my 2nd pregnancy and my son is 2.
    This is my first post because I am going through the exact same thing! I had lower back pain, slight cramping, and nausea now gone. And it’s my first, I am so nervous something is wrong ☹️
  • brittdaw said:
    Super specific question: anyone else get shingles while pregnant?? I’m about 5 weeks, so basically one of my first symptoms was shingles!
    @brittdaw my friend recently did, but is further along. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • roxyandbaby1roxyandbaby1 member
    edited February 2022
    Can’t figure out how to delete comment
  • @katiebeth2022 I have also had some mild cramping in the left side of my lower abdomen...like you said it’s not painful. To me it feels more like a tightness than cramps. It’s my first pregnancy too, so I’m no more knowledgeable than you are, but I just got my first US today and everything was normal! Got to hear the heartbeat! (I’m 6w6d) I know you posted this a bit ago but just wanted to say you’re not the only one!
  • magic_lentilmagic_lentil member
    edited February 2022
    I am 6 weeks pregnant and I feel like my stomach is growing already!  Anyone else experiencing this?  I’ve weighed myself and I haven’t gained any weight but my jeans feel so tight in the waist and even the legs.  Also my boobs are outgrowing my normal wired bras already so I’m living in stretchy sports bras.  Is it normal for your body to change so early?  How do you invest in clothes that you can wear throughout the pregnancy?  
  • @magic_lentil My boobs changed SO fast with DS and I showed a lot earlier than expected. By 12 weeks I definitely had a mini bump.
  • @magic_lentil the bloat during early first trimester in your belly is no joke. And yeah, I basically live in sports bras and comfy nursing bras all pregnancy. 
  • @magic_lentil I love your username!

Yeah, it is amazing how your body can change! The bloat + extreme boob growth can make it hard for old clothes to fit well super early. I'm 7 weeks now and my pants are really uncomfortable. Leggings and stretch are my friends. 

With my first, I didn't need proper maternity clothes until I was into the second trimester, but everyone's different. Motherhood Maternity and Old Navy are constantly having massive sales, so you don't need to spend too much to be comfortable. You can probably get by with just a few pants/leggings, and stretchy shirts or dresses are sometimes good till the end. Anything with a wrap is good, including coats, because you can adjust it during pregnancy but still wear it after pregnancy. Or open sweaters. I also liked buying stretchy nursing bras. They were comfy during pregnancy and obviously useful postpartum.

• @roxyandbaby1 so glad to hear everything is alright! My pain stopped so I feel much better about that but my first appointment still isn’t until 3/4 so I have a bit of anxiety again!
    glad I wasn’t the only one going through that! ❤️
  • chantellelovesbabieschantellelovesbabies Just Joined
    edited February 2022
    Hi! First time mom, second time pregnancy. Ive just recently had a miscarriage and had a DNC performed at 9 weeks… Finally got pregnant again but Ive been having incredible bleeding and I’ve written it all down in my notes. I would put a screenshot but I see there’s no option, therefore I will copy and paste.
    This is my record of bleeding:

first time: january 25th, 2022 7pm
    january 27th: 11:40pm until 3am
    january 28th: hormone levels at 23,000
    feburary 2nd: 9:43pm until 2am
    feburary 4th: 9:51pm small blood clot
    10:33pm first big blood clot
    bleeding from 8pm until 11am next day
    feburary 5th: hormone levels at 42,000
    feburary 6th: started 8am bled the whole day
    feburary 7th: stopped bleeding at 5:30pm^
    feburary 8th: bleeding at 3:50pm after shower
    hormone levels are 65,878
    small blood clotting at 10:07pm
    bleeding stopped at 2am
    feburary 17th: spotting late around 8:30pm
    feburary 18th: dark blood spotting at 4:15pm
    heavier bleeding & pad at 5pm

brown discharge after bleeding stops for an hour or so each time.

Should I be concerned???!
  • @chantellelovesbabies  have you called your doctor?
  • @chantellelovesbabies I know this is really scary and I'm sorry you're in that space of wondering. To be safe I would absolutely call your doctor and get an ultrasound just to make sure everything's okay with both you and baby. Spotting in early pregnancy is common, but still always an important thing to flag to your care provider to monitor. There's a thread in here called "TW: Bleeding and Threatened MC" where you can read other posts about some of us who have had spotting.
  • @katiebeth2022 my pain stopped too, thank God! My first appointment is 2/28. Please keep me posted on your journey! I’m 28 and this is my first pregnancy as well. Praying for you girl ❤️