September 2022 Moms

The Great Big Queston Thread!

Re: The Great Big Queston Thread!

• @raychelwhite Until you first see the OB, you should call your primary care doctor - they can help! 
  • raychelwhiteraychelwhite member
    edited January 2022
    @magnolia209 thank you!! :) 
  • Loading the player...
  • Has anyone found any really supportive and semi-compressive bras they like? My breasts are so sore and I'm in a position where I'm at home for a couple days and can go braless, or I have to be in professional wear multiple days in a row. I'm just around 5 weeks so not really looking for a nursing style bra yet. For reference I am/was a 36D before pregnancy so support is my friend!
  • @BumpAdmin
    Can we get "announcement" status for this post please?
    Current pregnancy -
    First BFP on 1/4/22.  Due date 9/13/22.

Four prior losses, no living children - 1 first trimester miscarriage, 1 blighted ovum, 1 chemical, and one extreme premature live birth daughter who died at 15 days old.

• Okay, what are your favorite face washes/body washes during pregnancy? I love L’Occitane products, but they explicitly say not to use their products while pregnant due to the fact that they contain essential oils. Any recommendations? 
    TTC History
    Me: 38 DH: 52
    Started trying June 2018
    BFP Jan 2019 DD born October 2019
    TTC July 2021 BFP, ended in MMC August 2021
    TTC October 2021
    BFP January 2022
    MMC March 2022
    Beginning May 2022 under the supervision of an RE - Benched while undergoing testing

• I'm a B&BW and Body Shop gal, mostly.
    Current pregnancy -

Four prior losses, no living children - 1 first trimester miscarriage, 1 blighted ovum, 1 chemical, and one extreme premature live birth daughter who died at 15 days old.

• @kboydbowman Yes, those are always good! I just googled and saw that Drunk Elephant is safe to use while pregnant. <3
    TTC History
    Started trying June 2018
    TTC October 2021
    BFP January 2022
    MMC March 2022
    Beginning May 2022 under the supervision of an RE - Benched while undergoing testing

• Has anyone started researching breast pumps yet? For my daughter, I used the Spectra S2 and it was good, but now I'm considering the Motif Luna. My insurance covers the full cost, and for an extra $30 I can get the battery option, which is a must for me. I hate being tied to the wall because I don't always pump in the same place (even as a SAHM). 

I'm not planning to place the order just yet, but I like to get my ducks in a row early. For those who weren't aware (hi, FTMs!), most insurance will fully cover a breast pump for you, and some plans even cover replacement parts on a regular basis (I just found out mine does!).
    DD 10/2019
  • My insurance dictates the pump.  Last time it was a Medela.
    Current pregnancy -

• My insurance dictates the pump.  Last time it was a Medela.
    I know your history is complicated, but did you have any success with that? 
    DD 10/2019
  • @trapperkeeper87 any success with what?
    Current pregnancy -

• @trapperkeeper87 I am all about the hands free pumping! I had the elvies this past time, not perfect, but they got the job done. I might try a different hands free this time around. I had the S2 as my backup but I didn’t use it much because I much preferred the hands free.
  • @trapperkeeper87 I had s2 with my first, the motif luna I had with my second. It worked just as well as the s2 but was sleeker. I used the one with a plug for awhile as the battery option wasn't available until after my daughter was born. My cousin got the battery option one, and thought it wasn't working right so called the company and they sent her a new one, I can't remember what she did, but she realized after that she was dumb and it was a user error so she gave me her extra. Having the battery was a game changer!
    I will say I used the motif duo as well, and hated it.

I don't think the portable pumps work for me. I would get more from waking around with the haakaa than I did with the duo. As a teacher, I need my pump to work strong and fast as I don't usually have much time to pump as I'm inconvening someone else when I take time to pump.

I always go with aeroflow breastpumps for my orders, I think I'll wait a bit and see if anything new comes out before I buy. I have 3 good pumps as back ups, but I feel I keep seeing new ones on the ig influencers I watch. 
  • @trapperkeeper87 any success with what?
    That brand of pump. I don't know many people who have tried it, but that brand didn't seem to get great reviews on output.
    DD 10/2019
  • @trapperkeeper87 I'm an over researcher when it comes to baby stuff, from what I've gathered about medela, they used to be the go to pump but they don't allow for customized suction and speed like most pumps that have come out in the last 5 years. I'm not sure if it's changed in the last 4 years, but they were also not a closed system so many people were getting mold in the tubing and pump. 
  • @trapperkeeper87 I was only just over 22 weeks when she was born, so I mostly just had colostrum, but I did use it for 2 weeks and was able to get it to work for me, I think? It's hard to really know because of how screwy my situation was. It was the same brand and model they had for the loaner at the hospital though, so that made me feel pretty good about it.
    Current pregnancy -

• @elle-0409 I used drunk elephant during my first pregnancy! Loved it. I’m using beautycounter skincare now and Dr. Bronner’s castile soap for body wash!
  • @lalarose22 I had to look up Drunk Elephant because who can resist that name. I’m in need of a good facial cleaner for dry skin. Which product if theirs did you use? 
  • @magnolia209 haha right?! I used the beste no. 9 jelly cleanser and the lala retro whipped cream moisturizer. The moisturizer is really thick and worked great on my dry skin! 
  • I second the drunk elephant jelly cleanser! 
  • @BumpAdmin can we get a pin please?
  • People who have done the NT scan before, is it something covered by insurance? Or is it not considered normal/preventative? Just not sure if I should consider it now that I’m getting older 😄

I plan to call insurance about it in the upcoming weeks, but I figured I’d ask for some anecdotes first!
  • @mokay19 it really depends on your insurance company.  Mine covers it and strongly encourages it for AMA folk like myself.  Not sure about for others.
    Current pregnancy -

• @mokay19 I’m pretty sure it’s covered for anyone 35+. If anyone here is 34, but will be 35 by the time the baby comes, it’s covered for you too. 
  • @mokay19 I guess everyone’s insurance is different. Mine was covered last pregnancy and I am not AMA. My impression actually was that it was standard like the NT scan was just standard care and definitely included. I don’t think it’s optional at my ob, like everyone def does an NT scan. So yeah, I guess the best way to get a sure answer is just to talk to your insurance. 
  • @trapperkeeper87 I have a Medela and I'm going to get a new one. Mine was a single pump (First mistake) and has a battery option (the only plus). I would only pump in the evening and it would take me 30 mins per side so an entire hour for pumping. I've been looking at and hearing good things about spectra. Not sure which version I'd get but I want one that double pumps and I can be done in 15 ish mins.
  • @babywiik I liked my Spectra S2 just fine, and would totally recommend it. I'm hoping the Motif Luna will pump a little faster and it has a battery for $30 out of pocket, so that's definitely the way I'm going this time.
    DD 10/2019
  • so I’ve always had problems with really terrible  migraines but now I can’t take my normal medicine that works and tylenol does nothing for me. My doctor prescribed medicine that I can take while pregnant but it only stops it for about an hour or two and then it’s right back hurting worse than before any suggestions? I can’t even get out of bed when it’s like this 
  • @skyz1lla Look into Excedrin Tension. It's acetaminophen and caffeine and is safe for pregnancy (as long as you aren't getting your fill of caffeine elsewhere). It's a godsend for pregnancy migraines and worth a shot. Just make sure it's the Tension one as the Migraine one is off-limits while pregnant.
    DD 10/2019
  • @skyz1lla
    The other day I had one and used Tylenol (which doesn't typically help me) I drank some Gatorade to get my hydration up quicker and used cold on my head and hung out in a dark room for a while. When i got up I had a bit of coffee and took a lukewarm shower. I ALWAYS have a pack of the "Be Kooool" gel patches in my fridge. My mom used to use them on me as a kid when i had a fever but now they work wonders for migraines. They are basically these gel sheets that get really cold in the fridge and stick to your forehead or neck so you can sleep and not worry about keeping an icepack on. I swear by them!

https://www.amazon.com/Koool-Cooling-Relief-Migraine-Sheets/dp/B07J4GPKTL/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1HJAVV45XWREU&amp;keywords=fever+gel+patches&amp;qid=1643043417&amp;sprefix=fever+gel+patches,aps,110&amp;sr=8-6 
  • @mokay19 I thought the nt scan was the scan that they did at 12 weeks? I've had what I assume is it done both times. My nipt blood test (I had done with my second) was like $3k and was also covered by my insurance thankfully. 
  • @jhysmath yes, it is. But I’ve never had that before. 
  • @mokay19 oh, I thought that was a standard one. I had way too many USs done of both girls so it's hard to decipher what is standard or not. If this turns out to be a noncomplicated pregnancy I don't know how I'll feel only having 3 USs lol
  • @jhysmath
    what is standard in the U.S. isn't necessarily standard everywhere else.  U.S. tends to be much more "scan happy" than other parts of the world.
    Current pregnancy -

• @jhysmath yes, you’ll have serious ultrasound withdrawals… in the best way! 
    And the 12 week NT has been optional with my last two. But I have new insurance now so I’ll have to check again!
  • Okay, talk me off a ledge:

I know super hot baths are a no-no during pregnancy, so I’ve been sitting on the edge of the tub with just my feet/calves in. However, I keep that water HOT. Like 104 degrees. (It cools down and I stick to 20 minutes.) I figured because it wasn’t my whole body, I was okay. Then I googled it and it sounds like even that isn’t good. 😳 I never got sweaty or felt faint, but of course now all I can think about are neural tube defects. I’ll stick to cooler foot soaks from here on out, but do you think baby is okay?
    TTC History
    Started trying June 2018
    TTC October 2021
    BFP January 2022
    MMC March 2022

• @elle-0409
    I keep telling myself that some women who are as far along as I am sometimes don't even know they are pregnant yet. I had a mini freak out the other day when I realized I was not supposed to be eating the cheese I was snacking on for a week and a half. But soon realized I am doing everything else right and one blunder was probably going to be ok. Us first trimester moms are learning and figuring out as we go and we are accidently going to take hot baths and eat the wrong cheese  :)
  • @elle-0409
    the idea is you don't want to raise your core temperature significantly.  keep a thermometer near by and make sure your core temp doesn't creep above 100 and you should be fine.  I sincerely doubt you cooked your baby with a warm footsoak. :)
    Current pregnancy -