July 2022 Moms

The Great Big Question Thread

Re: The Great Big Question Thread

• @tsh2021 Doulas are NOT midwives. Doulas are there for emotional support. A midwife is a board certified doctor with nursing certifications. Doulas are not qualified to do anything medical. 

I don’t know where you are. Here, there are oodles of midwives that do hospital births, but I’m in a large city. It’s possible you only have home birth ones near you. 

As far as the way the medical community treats the first tri: I HATE it. I hate it with a passion. I’d rather they see me every week NOW when I can’t feel anything! Seeing me every stupid week when the baby is gigantic and I’m just waiting for labor to start is such a waste to me. And yes, not seeing moms until the end of the first trimester is also ridiculous. They should at least do an intake appointment, confirm the pregnancy, and make sure it’s where it’s supposed to be. Yes, the majority of the time it’s fine, but why put a pregnant woman through the stress!?!? And why not catch when something is wrong early and support her medically. Whole
    thing is dumb. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • @tsh2021 yeah, i would say it is not typical at all of first appointments.  With my first pregnancy, i had an US first, i think then did a vitals check and chat with a nurse, then the OB did a full exam and then I had a sit down in the OBs office for a good half hour at least to talk about things, ask questions, discuss testing, etc. The financial stuff they discussed over the phone before the appointment.
    For my 2nd pregnancy at a different office, different state, i had US first, then met for a longer time with the nurse for all history and such and then again the OB did a full exam.  not as much Q&A time but they were willing, things in that pregnancy were looking a little not so great from early on and it ended up in a MMC
    My current (3rd) pregnancy i went in early due to the recent loss a couple months prior but then the day i had my first US i also had a meeting with the doc.  it was much briefer since we had just done the whole thing a few months prior but still plenty of opportunity to ask questions and talk

At the office previously (in FL) and the office here in IL (and at 2 other places i originally scheduled and cancelled at) i was scheduled to meet with the OB at each first visit and saw them every visit following
  • Loading the player...
  • @tsh2021 i also saw the comment about the covid vaccine/booster - The research indicates that yes, you may pass along some anti bodies to baby if you get it in 3rd trimester, but we have absolutely no idea from a medical standpoint of if they actually help baby or how long they last.  we DO KNOW that getting COVID during pregnancy without as much protection as you can get is very dangerous for you and baby.  It is recommended to get vaccine and booster as soon as you are eligible. my OB did say that some women prefer to wait until 2nd trimester if they are having a lot of 1st trimester symptoms and don't want to add on top of it. I got my booster in first trimester and had minimal symptoms (slight increase in fatigue and feeling weak if i did too much activity and lasted a day.  but also i'm pregnant and always tired anyways, so who knows if it was any worse and now i feel better being better protected!)
  • @tuxielove93 i feel you! i feel lucky to have found my current office that does first appts between 6-8 weeks,  They actually saw me during week 4 (no US) since my last pregnancy was a MMC.  it is a very small practice and independent so it seems like they do things a little differently and seem very understanding of pregnancy anxiety, which has been really nice.  Their admin needs some work and they still have paper charts and some aspects are like in the dark ages, but the OBs and nurses are great and always up to date on research
  • @tsh2021 Sorry for so many posts! But I also wanted to throw out a recommendation for Sterling Parents which is an online community run by an board certified OB - She has an IG with a lot of info and then a paid membership site which has a ton of info and videos and as all research/evidenced based so you don't have to search the whole internet yourself and wonder if you are getting good info or not and it includes one on one ability to talk with the OB.  I actually just paused my membership while i'm figuring out saving up for maternity leave (i have no benefits or PTO with my job) but i have found it super helpful
  • @tsh2021 I agree with you about how the first trimester is handled. Especially since this is my first pregnancy. I definitely ended up googling lots of questions which is not necessarily a reliable source of information. Especially when many articles say "ask your doctor". I felt better after having that first ultrasound and being able to ask the doctor a few questions. They also gave me a packet of info to take home which answered a lot of my questions. It would have been nice if they made that info packet available online so I could have read it before week 8! 
  • @tsh2021, yeah, I'd be noping right out of there asap.  That's ridiculous.

Re the 1st tri in general, I guess I don't have a good perspective on this because I've never had a "standard" pregnancy and first tri care.  IVF has very, very few positives, but one of them is much more extensive 1st tri monitoring (actually, just more extensive monitoring in general) leading to more peace of mind.  I am grateful for getting that peace of mind.  
  • Ok so I did hundreds of OB intakes at my last job and here is the rundown of what happens after someone calls to say they're pregnant. 1) If they want bloodwork or have a history of miscarriages, that is ordered and they can have that done at a lab asap. A nurse will call with results if normal, or a doctor will call with results if abnormal. 2) An appointment will be scheduled based on lmp for around 8 weeks. This is where you have a dating ultrasound/ confirm viability. And meet with a medical assistant to go over medical history, explain our process and sign paperwork. After speaking with the MA, you'll meet with the nurse practioner who does only new OB intakes. She will do a pap if you're due for one, a gonorrhea chlamydia swab, and a pelvic exam. We also send in urine for the standard stuff and drug screen, and order all your new ob bloodwork to be completed prior to your next appointment. Also, the nurse practioner asks any questions you have and if you want any kind of genetic testing. The next appointment is 4 weeks later with the doctor (unless you request genetic testing, then you'll have that one first.)

This is the standard new ob appointment at the doctors office I worked at, which had both doctors and midwives. I honestly loved that job and would still be there if we hadn't moved and I didn't want to do the commute. Hope this helps.
  • Is it common for SCHs to come and go? I had one on my US report a few weeks ago. Then the next one didn't indicate anything. Today's report says I have one again. Did it come and go or did the tech from that one week just fail to note it?

It hasn't caused any bleeding/spotting so I'm not concerned about it. I'm just wondering at this point
    *TW* History:
    Me: 34 DH: 36 | Together since 2007 | Married July 2016

TTC #1 since 7.2017
    Dx: low morph (1%), ANA positive, low decidualization score, high TSH and testosterone, histone antibodies

IUI #1-3 all BFN
    IVF #1 | 6.11.19 | 24R, 17M, 15F, 6B, PGT-A tested - 5 normal, 3 girls & 2 boys
    FET #1 | 9.10.19 | BFN "I know you, but we've never met. I'm with you, but I don't know your name"
    RPL, Receptiva, & ERA testing | all normal/negative, recommended going on gluten and dairy free diet for next FET
    FET #2 | 3.31.20 | Opted to cancelled due to pandemic, continued diet and tried naturally over the summer
    2nd Opinion with another RE | 8.20.20 | Not immune to measles (received 1 dose); SA results similar to 2 years ago; decided to move forward with FET #2 redo at start of next cycle
    Surprise natural BFP! | 9.22.20 | MC 10.23.20 at 8 weeks
    TTCAL naturally | starting 11.22.20

Initial consultation with Reproductive Immunologist | 9.14.21
    Decidualization score biopsy | 10.1.21 | abnormal - low score of 1; endometrial scratch recommended and progesterone supplementation
    Saline sono | 10.15.21 | normal
    Bloodwork | 10.21.21 high TSH, high testosterone, positive for anti-nuclear antibodies and histone antibodies, high protein S, multiple genetic mutations
    BFP! | 11.3.21 | EDD 7.14.22 B) | biopsy provided same effect as endometrial scratch; added supplemental progesterone and estrogen, prednisone, levothyroxine, and MTX Support to maintain pregnancy
    DS born 7.19.22 after induction

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Consultation with RI | 6.6.23
    Saline sono, endometritis biopsy, skin & eye check | all normal
    Labs | high TSH, Factor XIII mutation, high %CD56
    Follow up | 8.8.23 | prescribed metformin, prednisone, plaquenil, and levothyroxine
    Repeat labs after 3 weeks on meds
    Follow up | 11.9.23 | Green light!, increase in prednisone, added lovenox
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    Follow up | 1.16.24 | Green light continues
    TTC put on pause
  • Ok I’m seriously panicking about these sharp pains around the bottom of my belly button and surrounding area. It started Monday afternoon and has not gotten any better in fact i am starting to get more sharp pains off and on. The ripping feeling is only when I move a certain way or stand up. My nurse and fertility doc keep saying it’s nothing and there is nothing they can do. But no way my stomach is growing that fast when I just 8 weeks today. I get with twins you grow faster but this is really painful and nothing is helping. I can’t see another 7 months of these sharp pains with no relief. 

I don’t want to run to the ER for everything but I’m seriously nervous. I have another appt on Tuesday but I don’t know if I can make it another 4 days for them to just tell me it’s nothing and it’s normal. I’m almost in tears.
  • @msspoon12 - could it be round ligament pain? I had what sounds like something similar around 7 weeks and seriously thought I was having a miscarriage. I had really sharp pain near my belly button on the left side. I spent most of thanksgiving curled into a ball on the couch. It mysteriously went away after a few days. That being said, you know your body better than anyone. I don't think the ER is irrational. Or calling and trying to get into your doc earlier. Maybe if you call enough, they will find a time spot for you. Sending good vibes and hopes your way. Keep us posted. 
  • @stardustskies - this helps so much! Thank you! 

@runnergirl2018 - I looked up Sterling Parents. This site looks awesome. RE: the covid booster- I got into a different OB office next Monday. I'm going to ask them and if they give the green light get it on the way home. I'm relatively isolated here (Bentonville, AR). Most places it is easy to be 6 feet from someone and even if I get sh*t at the grocery store for wearing a mask, who cares. But with the holidays coming up (and everyone likes to hug at Christmas and New Years), I would feel better being protected, especially while pregnant. It is the first time I have heard the idea that I should wait until 3rd trimester. While that does make sense on some level, it doesn't seem like we have had enough time to research the theory that waiting provides more benefits than protection now. And with how fast this thing is changing, we have no idea what the COVID/vaccine world will look like in 7 months. 

@tuxielove93 - Right?! I have no idea if she is okay in there right now. But if I can count her kicks and visually see her rolling over in week 36 (at which point she is much less likely to end up with a birth defect because of something I naively ate), why wouldn't we do weekly visits in weeks 5-9 (or something along those lines) instead of weeks 36-40? But maybe I will get to week 36, be just as anxious and be glad for the weekly reassurance. :-/ 

• @msspoon12 It sounds like round ligament pain to me, but if you’re really concerned definitely call your doctor and ask to be seen soone
  • Anyone else notice symptoms getting stronger around 9 wks? Boob soreness is insane lately! 
  • @francesgs. Yes!   I was doing ok week 8 then week 9 hit and it felt like a total regression… nausea, dry heaving, sore boobs, fatigue.    It if helps at all I just hit 10 weeks and am starting to feel some relief ..
  • @francesgs week 9 was the worst! Week 10 so far I’ve had some really bad days still and here and there the nausea is letting up, although is always triggered by brushing my teeth at night
  • @inthewoods23 I’m not sure on the SCH thing. I think it would be more likely that someone didn’t note it on the report. Can you call the office and ask or talk to the person that did the scans?
  • So, my OB is nonexistent until Dec 28 and my fertility doc is dead set on my pains being round ligament. I have a history of frequent UTIs and with the weekly vaginal ultrasounds since the summer I have had one at least once a month. Thankfully my husbands BF is an OB and knows my history. He verified my last round of antibiotics was not long enough and that the pain and sensitivity by my belly button isn’t round ligament as my uterus is still too low at 8 weeks to irritate my belly button. He believes my last UTI has moved to a bladder infection which would explain the sharp pain and prolonged sensitivity. He called in a longer round of antibiotics and I am praying for relief by Sunday as this week has had me in tears daily.
  • @francesgs @runnergirl2018 Oh no! I’m in week 8 and noticed this week hasn’t been too bad. Week 9 will hit just in time for Christmas 😩
  • 8w4d and been cramping for a couple days. Nothing too intense but definitely there. Can't wait for my ultrasound on Tuesday. Seems like you just have to wait foreverrrr for that first appointment. 
  • @stardustskies the waits are agonizing. I have an appt on Tuesday too! Happy thoughts for you!!
  • @stardustskies - I've had light cramping too. Someone several weeks ago (I think on here) said to think of it as LO turning their studio apartment into a 1 bedroom. So I'm picturing Baby turning their 1 bedroom into a 2 bedroom with a patio. Seeing them on the ultrasound is so reassuring. Sending you good vibes.
  • Hi All - forgive me if you’re seeing this twice (I didn’t realize about this thread sorry!) I’m 8 weeks pregnant and I shared with my cousin that I’ve been constipated. She gave me a renewlife natural cleanse supplement (I took 1). She’s in the medical field and knows I’m pregnant so I figured she’d know what to give me. I just read up and it says to not take this when pregnant. I’m freaking out. It was only one but I’m nervous of the adverse reaction. Any one know if it’s something I should be severely nervous about ? Or are they talking more if you use consistently ? 
  • @SDABRAHAM I’d reach out to your doctor. That said, I wouldn’t get myself in too much of a tizzy. 
    They can’t really run any blind study tests on pregnant and breastfeeding moms because it’s considered unethical. So the info we have about what is and isn’t safe is mostly anecdotal. Companies say not to take while pregnant to cover their butts. 
    It doesn’t mean you should take it. Just that you should definitely consult your own OB 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • @francesgs I'm 9 weeks and can confirm, all symptoms are the worst right now!!! Really hoping next week brings some relief - can't wait for the nausea and fatigue to ease up a bit! 
  • Thank you. That makes sense. I guess my concern was “will this cause a miscarriage or severe issues” off of one supplement which today my anxiety is less and says “probably not” but I was freaking out yesterday. Thank you again 
  • @SDABRAHAM I highly doubt 1 supplement would be of any real concern. I was having herbal tea without even thinking about it in early pregnancy and baby has been measuring on track all month. It was my default because there's no caffeine!

We shouldn't kick ourselves because of a one time thing. It happens. And like @tuxielove93 said, it's not like they can really do studies to confirm safety of some items so they play it safe. I know the reason they say not to use retinol skincare products is because they know taking retinol orally causes defects but they haven't actually done studies to see about it applied topically to the skin.

*TW* History:

TTC #1 since 7.2017
    Dx: low morph (1%), ANA positive, low decidualization score, high TSH and testosterone, histone antibodies

IUI #1-3 all BFN
    FET #1 | 9.10.19 | BFN "I know you, but we've never met. I'm with you, but I don't know your name"
    RPL, Receptiva, & ERA testing | all normal/negative, recommended going on gluten and dairy free diet for next FET
    FET #2 | 3.31.20 | Opted to cancelled due to pandemic, continued diet and tried naturally over the summer
    2nd Opinion with another RE | 8.20.20 | Not immune to measles (received 1 dose); SA results similar to 2 years ago; decided to move forward with FET #2 redo at start of next cycle

Decidualization score biopsy | 10.1.21 | abnormal - low score of 1; endometrial scratch recommended and progesterone supplementation
    Bloodwork | 10.21.21 high TSH, high testosterone, positive for anti-nuclear antibodies and histone antibodies, high protein S, multiple genetic mutations
    BFP! | 11.3.21 | EDD 7.14.22 B) | biopsy provided same effect as endometrial scratch; added supplemental progesterone and estrogen, prednisone, levothyroxine, and MTX Support to maintain pregnancy

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Follow up | 8.8.23 | prescribed metformin, prednisone, plaquenil, and levothyroxine
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    TTC put on pause
  • Is salicylic acid one of the no-no skincare ingredients? I was looking at my face wash because I wasn't sure if it had parabens in it. Scanning the list I noticed halfway down it listed salicylic acid. It's a hydrating face wash so I'm surprised it was an ingredient. Do you think it's still okay to use? I'll check with my OB when I see her on Thursday but figured I'd poll the group since I seem to get conflicting answers on acne fighting ingredients whether salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide is safer. One site I just looked at said to use only one and not both so not helpful!

It's the CeraVe hydrating cream-to-foam face wash for anyone wondering.
    *TW* History:

TTC #1 since 7.2017

IUI #1-3 all BFN

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    TTC put on pause
  • @inthewoods23 I ready anything under 2% is fine

my skin is so dry- particularly my scalp. Having some very unappealing dry peeling. Anyone have any scalp recommendations?
  • @inthewoods23 - I'd ask your OB, but my go-to website says it's not safe due to the salicylic acid: https://www.15minutebeauty.com/pregnancy-safe-skincare-cerave.html

When I'm pregnant and breastfeeding I always err on the side of caution. Switching up your facewash is an easy thing to do for a few months, just to be extra cautious!
  • @feather_heather interesting. I checked on The Ordinary on that site since I have some of their products and it says the mandelic acid is not safe for pregnancy either. Yet I've read in numerous articles that it's a fav for use during pregnancy since it's even more gentle compared to lactic or glycolic acid.
    *TW* History:

TTC #1 since 7.2017

IUI #1-3 all BFN

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    TTC put on pause
  • Has anyone’s doctor tried and successfully found the HB using a Doppler at 10 weeks?

I think that’s what they’ll try first but I’m hoping it’s too early and I get 1 more ultrasound. I’ll report back with what happens after my appt this afternoon- just curious if anyone else has had this experience!
  • @inthewoods23 - I haven't heard of mandelic acid. The ordinary may say it's not safe just to cover their butts.

@sunshineandlemons - I've found the heartbeat with an at home doppler at 8 weeks. I'm sure a medical grade doppler could find it at 10 weeks - but there are factors that could effect that ability to find it including the location of the baby and the size of mom.  
  • @feather_heather I think it's a "newer" acid. Like the latest trend kind of thing. I know TO's website says not safe. It also says not safe on the 15 minute beauty website site you posted. It's just weird that every other article about pregnancy safe skincare talks about using mandelic acid! I actually don't care much for it's texture (it's kind of sticky) and am just trying to use it up at this point. Also it was like 5 bucks so I can't be sad I'm tossing money in the trash!
    *TW* History:

TTC #1 since 7.2017

IUI #1-3 all BFN

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    TTC put on pause
  • @feather_heather thanks! 😊 They didn’t even try Doppler. I guess since this was my official intake appt, they just did the ultrasound for dating. My next appt in 3 weeks will be Doppler. With my first two kids, they’ve gotten it at my 12w appt just fine so not anticipating any issues this time around, especially because I’ll be further along.
  • Not sure if this is the best place for this but wanted to share to hopefully help others- https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/12/21/us/fresh-express-salad-recall/index.html

I have an OB visit tomorrow and am going to check with my doctor as we had a bag of spinach on this list and had a salad before we heard about the recall. Anyone else have any experience with this? Google is making my nerves go haywire
  • Good news: The ten reported infections go all the way back to 2016! So there’s not tons of people getting sick. Also, they tested a sweet hearts salad mid and that tested positive, not the spinach. They are voluntarily recalling everything from that facility to be super super safe though. 

The bad news is that while symptoms normally appear within a few days, it can take up to two months. But if it was a few days ago and you aren’t sick, you’re probably ok. 

I’d mention it your OB. I’m sure they can offer more solace. I hope this helped ease a little bit. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • I left a voicemail with my dr to hopefully be seen today but I figured I’d ask here in the meantime. For a few nights I was having issues peeing at night when my bladder was full. I’d have to bend over and it would take a handful of seconds before I could go.
    Last night it took me a couple of minutes before I could start going. I had to bend over almost the whole way and push on my lower abdomen for it to come out. An hour later I peed again and a lot came out (even though I hadn’t had anything to drink) so I’m thinking I didn’t empty it the first time.
    Dr. Google makes it seem like it could be serious. Has anyone else had this issue and talked to their dr about it? 
  • @tuxielove93 thank you for the info! At my appointment today my Ob said similar things. Keep an eye on symptoms but it's likely they were being very cautious to recall everything