Infertility

Jan 2021 IVF/FET

Re: Jan 2021 IVF/FET

• Hi friends! I apologize for just jumping into this post, but I am having a minor freak out. I normally post on the Trouble TTC board, but it has been really quiet there as of recent. After two egg retrievals we are finally moving forward with a FET transfer (middle of Feb). My clinic called me yesterday and said my Prolactin levels are a little high, 31 with the normal range being 5-26. They put me on some medicine to hopefully lower my levels before transfer and are comfortable with continuing with a transfer. I am a little nervous to continue given all the work we put in to get these embryos... Any thoughts? Has anyone else experienced this and delayed their transfer? 
  • @vl__2019 I had no intention of doing pgs testing... but now I’m so glad we did. After looking at the grading of our embryos we would have transferred 3 more embryos before getting to a “normal” embryo. Failed transfers and terminations are beyond exhausting, let alone the stress you put your body through, the injections and the cost of meds.... it all adds up. We spent almost $6000 on the pgs testing but now I think it was money extremely well spent. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @soccergirl23 thanks for the positive vibes. 
    @thezaltyberger sounds like everything is going good. Sending you positive vibes for your next ultrasound.
    @sfield21 you are right it's not quantity but quality. It can happen at any age. My sister had her first child at age 18 and he was born with abnormalities.
    Who would have ever thought we would be looking forward to our cycles starting. I'm waiting as well in order to start the next steps.
    @vl__2019 I had three miscarriages before I started IVF. They tested both my partner and I and everything came back normal. I don't want to take any chances especially at my age. I think it would be good to know. Could it hurt to pgt test? Why are you on the edge, if you don't mind me asking.
  • @vl__2019 we decided to opt out now for a few reasons. We're both 32, and the doctor said that it's most impactful for people over 35. The other is that this would cost us $3k-$5k right now, and we have no reason to believe that our embryos are going to have issues right now. If 1-2 cycles of IVF don't work and/or we see a miscarriage, we'll definitely reconsider then.
  • @mouse39 the cost. the fact that im only 30, but i do have pcos and DH has A Severe Male Factor and he is 34, i was thinking we should be fine, but then after reading alot im think maybe i should because now it looks like no matter the age there cud be a problem 
  • @thezaltyberger i feel the same way, i do see anything about testing being a reason for success but i guess it helps a little, not sure, trying not to obsess about it
  • Did you ladies know that if you have a miscarriage and you have the embryo tested and they find out it was a genetic issue your insurance will pay for pgt testing. I found that out after speaking to my insurance.
  • @mouse39 never knew that, thanks for sharing that
  • @thezaltyberger got my results from my E2 and follicular ultrasound today,  E2 was 36.23pg/ml and they seen 2 follicles on the right ovary 16mm and 14mm, is this good? And when do you think they gna tell me to start medication 
  • @vl__2019 woah those are two big follicles early on! Awesome! Is you E2 up from your last blood test? Must be, because follicle growth is what increases it! What's next for you?

So they taught me that measurable follicles have to exceed 11mm, so I have two measurable ones on the right and four on the left, the largest being 13mm for now. They said they saw tons of tiny ones too, some of which they expect to become measurable as well. Made me feel good. They said they didn't expect to measure any follicles at all this early, so they seem happy. They confirmed that my estrogen is rising well too. I've been crampy all day in the same way as when my period is coming, so despite that discomfort, I'm taking it as a good sign too. Next steps: tonight and tomorrow they want me to keep my protocol of 3 shots a night the same, and then come in Saturday morning for more bloodwork and my second ultrasound. The think egg retrieval will be early-to-mid next week. 

Can you believe how excited I am about shots, ultrasounds, and cramps? Never thought I'd see the day...

And let me just say, having this group in my corner has certainly been a godsend <3
  • @thezaltyberger i got the call and instructions through my portal to start gonal f and menopur between 5-9 tonight, E2 went up from 29.37 to 36.23

what supplements should i take? Ive been taking my prenatal, vitamin D, metformin i want to start Mayo inositol but dk if i should with the stims
  • Did my first stims, had this PA i work with do it for me...it wasnt bad but the menopur hurt a little, im off tomorrow so im on my own
  • The lab called with an update all 6 are still developing normally. I honestly was expecting to lose at least 1 but this is great!! We will receive our last call on Monday with the amount that will be frozen and tested.
    @vl__2019 the Menopur does hurt a bit. Ice before the shot and hot pack after, this helped me alot.
  • @mouse39 congratulations those a great numbers!!! Im so excited for you.
  • @mouse39 how EXCITING!!! I'm so happy for you! Have they set a date for the transfer? How many will they be transferring? 

@vl__2019 so glad your first experience wasn't as bad as you anticipated! Check in tonight after doing it yourself. I haven't been brave enough - DH is doing them all. That being said, between 3x shots a day and getting my blood drawn every other day, any discomfort I felt with needles is officially gone. Silver lining, ammirite?

I'm going in for my second ultrasound and third round of bloodwork tomorrow. I've been able to keep my weight under control after being scared off by side effects possibly including 5-10lbs of weight gain - I even lost 1.5lbs this week by eating mindfully and carefully. My weight loss journey is a whole other story and personal struggle :)

Unfortunately I'm definitely experiencing other side affects, including sharp headaches, lower back pain very similar to my regular period cramps, and discomfort where my ovaries are. They side affects started around day 4 of my shots. I'm taking tylenol as I was told I can't use ibuprofen. I woke up multiple times last night due to the pain. It's not horrible or unmanageable, just uncomfortable, and venting here makes me feel a little better :)

I feel less nervous about the egg retrieval than I do about the embryo transfer. I understand that with the egg retrieval you basically just fall asleep and wake up, and then you might be sore afterward. Is that accurate? 

For anyone who's already experienced an embryo transfer, how uncomfortable is it and how long does it take? I understood that it's about as uncomfortable as an IUI, but could possibly take more time because they're setting up and using an ultrasound to guide the catheter. Is that accurate? 

• @thezaltyberger On Monday they will freeze them and do the genetic testing which takes 2-3, not sure why. They told me my transfer might not be until the end of February beginning of March. That is accurate for the egg retrieval. I was sore for 2 days. It was uncomfortable to walk and I felt a bit of pain when trying to go to the bathroom.. Like go.. Go as well as passing gas.. Sorry tmi. This was my experience. Hopefully your ER recovery is better. I read and the nurses told me the transfer is easier than the retrieval. They don't even put you to sleep. I am sorry you are experiencing these side effects. Hopefully it gets better. Congratulations on maintaining your weight. They told me I couldn't exercise until I get my period. I know I'm going to gain weight. 😭 My goal is to lose as much weight as I can so I can eat whatever I want when and if I get pregnant.
  • @thezaltyberger I was much more nervous about my egg retrieval than the transfer.  I don't like the idea of anesthesia/ being put under, but it was not bad at all, and actually I felt really well-rested when I came out of it. I have actually really enjoyed my tansfers! It is a hopeful, very cool experience and its awesome to watch on the screen as they release the little embryo into your uterus.  I found it to be about the same sensation as any vaginal ultrasound/ pap and lasts maybe 10 minutes total. 
  • That's really helpful! Thank you for sharing your experiences @emilynoel810 and @mouse39

I'm taking two days off work for the egg retrieval in case the soreness is really unmanageable. DH promised he'd look after me and bring me snacks all day :)
  • @thezaltyberger I wasn’t put out for my egg retrieval, but was given a few doses of fentanyl through an IV. My egg retrieval was much more painful than any embryo transfer I’ve had.... probably much easier and very little pain being put out though. I was put out for my pregnancy termination and was just slightly uncomfortable for a day afterwards. For my egg retrieval, I was stuffed full of eggs so I was actually in pain for 1-2 days leading up to the retrieval and felt/looked so bloated. My transfers have been very easy and done within 10-15 minutes.... just like the IUI’s. 
  • Oh man @sfield21 so sorry to hear that you weren't put out for the egg retrieval, that sounds terribly uncomfortable and I'm so sorry you had to go through that. But 9 remaining embryos is so great!! Wishing you lots of luck with the PGS tests!!! Keep us posted...
  • @thezaltyberger Yah, I thought that was normal, now I see everyone is being put out for the retrieval!

I updated my signature... we received our results from PGS testing and only 2 are normal! We were really shocked with that, but very glad we decided to test them. Being 31 and 32 now (egg retrieval was in 2018), I figured we would have had many more normal embryos. My cycle is just starting, so tomorrow will hopefully be CD1 and I'll start taking estrace, with a transfer mid February. 
  • @sfield21 how long did it take for the testing? Did they tell you the sex? We decided to only ask the sex if we have more than one normal. Did they put you in birth control in the meantime? Sorry for all the questions just want to know what to expect.
  • @mouse39 I’m in Canada and they are not allowed to tell us the sexes. I do wish they could tell us, I’m really just curious. But we also lost a boy so I feel like I’m missing that now. Our testing took about 2 weeks, maybe 3 by the time we had our scheduled appointment for video call with our Doctor to go over the results. I wasn’t put on birth control, but they have never done that for my transfers. I know some ladies are put on it. No problem about the questions.... ask away! :) 
  • @sfield21 they are putting me on birth control as soon as my period starts. Im sorry about your loss. Hope all goes well with your transfer.
  • Had my third blood work/second ultrasound appointment. Measurable follicles increased from 6 to 24 in two days! Amazing how I’m now not only immune to the needles and ultrasound machinery, but actually excited during the procedures. I’m waiting for a call to see if I need to change my protocol but I’d estimate that my egg retrieval will happen before Wednesday. Discomfort continues, including weird headaches, but I’m managing to sleep better with zzzzquil and Tylenol.
  • @thezaltyberger thats great how long have u been stimming?
  • @thezaltyberger that's great! I know the feeling. By the third ultrasound it felt like a routine to have that machine inside of me at 7am😂.
  • Thanks @mouse39 and @vl__2019!!! Let’s see, I started stimming last Saturday so today is day 8. Should hopefully have only 1-2 more days to go...but there are more shots between the egg retrieval and transfer, right? To get the uteran lining ready?
  • @thezaltyberger when are you due back?.. im going in the morning for ultrasound and blood work, today was day 3 of stimming the ice pack before is really helping.
  • @vl__2019 they actually called and want me back again tomorrow morning, second day in a row. Both my arms are bruised from all the blood draws at this point, but I guess I’m almost at the finish line. My ovaries are feeling very enlarged and uncomfortable, stomach and back pains come and go, spent the entire day on my couch after the appointment:(
  • @vl__2019 how are stimmies going? How was administering to yourself? 
  • @thezaltyberger i couldnt get myself to do it 😩😩 my Husband came to the rescue, he did well, but hi schedule is all over the place so im sure im going to end up doing it myself sometime this week
  • @vl__2019 oh man I really understand that, I’m sorry!! I know it’s scary and hard, I couldn’t agree more. I haven’t been able to do a single one myself. Stay strong, just a handful of days to go!!! ♥️♥️♥️
  • Had my fourth blood work and third ultrasound this morning. Measurable follicle count increased from 24 to 27, but the technician couldn’t find a big 21mm follicle that had been recorded yesterday, so that was weird. Despite the good count, it sounded like most of them are still under the desired 18mm and I’ll probably have to go in again tomorrow or the day after :( 
  • Went to my appointment today, my E2 is at 172 right now after 3 days of stimming is that good. I hate that my place doesn’t really communicate, like i went to my appointment at 8am this morning they sent my further instructions in the pt portal but the nurses hasnt called me and idk if they are...im trying to relax and not get frustrated but its nerve recking
  • I don’t think I was ever told my E2 levels... just my lining thickness. I think if you are doing a fresh transfer they will want your lining over 8. Good luck to you all with stimming and the egg retrieval, just remember to take it easy and let your body rest. I took a couple days off work prior to the egg retrieval because I was in so much discomfort. 

My CD1 was yesterday so I started taking estrace and have my CD14 appt scheduled for Friday February 5th.... transfer will likely be February 11. 

• Does anyone understand this? This is from yesterday’s ultrasound 
  • @sfield21 that is so exciting!! Are you taking estrace and then some form of progesterone in a few weeks or what does your schedule look like (if you don't mind me asking)?

@mouse39 thinking about you today and sending lots of positive vibes for your embryo results!!

@vl__2019 can you ask for better communication channels to your nurse or a better understanding of how they communicate so you know when they usually make their patient calls, etc? I would definitely speak up!

@thezaltyberger those numbers sound very promising!! I know the extra bloodwork isn't ideal but just think of how many potential embi-babies you are making :) They seem to grow faster towards the end, so I wouldn't worry too much. They'll also keep you on the meds a bit longer to get more to the correct size so they can get as many eggs as possible so it sounds like you're in a really good place!
  • @vl__2019 the way my place formatted it, the first number was the number of follicles under 11mm and the follicle numbers were the measurements of anything above 11mm on each ovary, so it looks like you have at least 15 follicles growing and two measuring above 11mm. A lot of times the counts early on aren't super accurate, so you could definitely still have more follicles that show up before retrieval. 

That's just based on comparing that picture to what my IVF center provides -- anyone else please jump in with different thoughts!
  • @soccergirl23 thank you for at least trying, does ur place go over the ultrasounds with you? Or bloodwork? They just call me and say everything looks good and further instructions are being sent to the portal.