April 2021 Moms

Baby names

Let’s talk baby names! 

Re: Baby names

• @goldpolkadot I love all of those! Harrison and Lincoln are pretty popular in my area, but that may not be the case where you live. Do you have any parameters for middle names? Like how many syllables, any letters you are avoiding?
  • Loading the player...
  • I need help coming up with one syllable middle names, not Lee or Beau. I’m considering:

Griffin (James, Rhys, Graham)
    Porter (James, ...) 

I don’t like using shortened versions (ie Tom instead of Thomas) for middle names. What else is out there? 
  • @goldpolkadot my moms voting for me to pick Harrison bc my old man crush forever ago was Harrison Ford LMAO!
  • @aisukurimsarang how is Eowyn pronounced? (Sorry, not a LOTR person so I have never seen this one before.)
  • We’ve had a boy name saved since 2014 and that’s still our plan if this one is a boy, I think. Micah John. Micah is DH’s middle name and we each had a grandpa named John!

Not decided on a girl’s name yet, which is funny because I knew the girls’ names right away when I was pregnant with them!

Each of our girls have double middle letters and I’ve been thinking of other names with the same pattern, but so many names are too similar to what their names are and that would just be confusing. I like Hannah. DD1 said she wants to name her CiCi, and I actually think Cecelia is a really pretty name. I’ve also been considering Anne as the middle name, since that’s my middle name and also my mom’s!
  • @bblair24 Cecelia (nn CiCi) is so cute! 
  • We have a huge boys name list that we’ve had since we found out DS1 was a boy, luckily we’re having another boy!

Top one my husband likes is Theodore which I’m okay with.  Middle name either Raymond or James, both family names.

Theodore Raymond or Theodore James

of course this could all change once we see his face!
  • @bblair24 I LOVE Cecilia! It's actually on my list. @goldpolkadot those are all so cute! I especially love Graham. @theblondebump I love names with emotional/historical significance! I was named for both of my grandmothers. 

I like, in no particular order...
    Penelope
    Charlotte
    Priya
    Maeve
    Lillian/Lily
    Cecelia
    Eleanor
    Isla
    Olivia
    Sophie

I haven't even started thinking about possible middle name combos yet! Help!
  • @juliebird6 and @bbrahmbhatt I really love Cecelia! Or Cecilia? I’ve seen it both ways. It’s funny because that’s never a name I’ve considered until DD1 said CiCi. It would be fun for DD1 if we end up having a girl and she helped name her ☺️
  • Our girl name has been picked since I was pregnant with DS. We were team green, so we had one of each ready. Is this one is a girl she will be Anna Scott (Anna after MIL's middle name Anne, and Scott is DH's middle name).
    We love old school/traditional/family names, but we are still really struggling with another boy name. Need to stay away from major biblical-type names (Matthew, John, Luke, etc.) because mixed with DS name will make us sound like some big ol' bible thumpers.. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Names are so hard!  We didn’t name our last or have any definitive conversations about it until after he was here. I have a feeling I am going down that same path again...I only have one name I like that’s left on our list: Bennett (for either a boy or a girl) and we have a strange last name so we have to be very thoughtful about what we choose. I will probably just keep it to myself until after the baby is here because if it’s like last time I will likely get my way. 😂
  • Gahh this is so hard. We have been team green twice and had 2 girls so have a robust boy list lol. I am going to struggle hard core to come up with a girl's name this time and I'm pretty sure this is going to be a girl  :D

Without getting too specific about our daughters' names or our last name, I like a 3 or 4 syllable first name with a one syllable nickname (based on our last name - that just works well). I love our daughters' names but am struggling to come up with a 3rd option (especially one that isn't similar to their names/nicknames): Aubrey "Bri" is the only thing left on our list that works with this and idk that I love it enough. So maybe we break with that. I like Brooke. Maybe Juliette or Julie as "Jules" but doesn't feel like a nickname you could use for broader stuff - more of a shorthand with really close friends and family. I also like Val but idk if I love Valerie. And things like Meg, Jen, and Kate were so common in my childhood that they don't feel "current" or "classic" - yet. My first two daughters are definitely classic names with adorable one syllable nicknames. DD1s name is very popular which is why I'm glad we use the nickname, too.

@theblondebump Love those names. Reese is on our shortlist of middle names but if I decide to get rid of the mutlisyllable rule for first names it could also be a first.

@aisukurimsarang I like a 2 syllable middle name with a Zoe, personally. 

@juliebird6 for one syllable boys names (they're all kind of preppy):
    Hayes
    Tate
    Brock
    Trent
    Brett
    Trace

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• @kvh22, her last name is three, so a one or three syllable middle name works. We were going to name our loss Eowyn or Hawkins (for a boy). DS2's middle name is Hawkins. I guess I wanted to follow that. It seems a good way to honor our little Blueberry. 

@juliebird6, long A long O then Win. A-O-Win. 
  • Thanks! @aisukurimsarang

@bbrahmbhatt Me too! If we have a second girl, it will be Lillian (Lily) after my late maternal grandmother, so if we have two girls they will be Hannah and Lily after both of my grandmothers. 

@bblair24 love Cecilia! Close friends of ours just named their daughter Celeste and call her CeCe! 

@kvh22 yes! I love unique names but have always been pretty set on naming daughters after my grandmothers, but I really love Reese for the middle name. 

• @aisukurimsarang oh I love that so much <3

We come up with lists and narrow down names but don't make our final choice until after the baby is born. Kid is either going to have red or brown hair and I feel like that matters lol

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• @juliebird6 we have no parameters at all!! It’s making it so hard. We definitely had parameters for our others, and very specific ones for our other boy so this is totally throwing me for a loop 🤪 I LOVE james as a middle name! Goes so well with Griffin and Porter (and I’m adding Griffin to our list now!). One syllable middles are hard!
    Porter Cole? (Haha Cole Porter!)
    Griffin Max? 
    Griffin Crew? 
    Griffin Cade? (Haha the c’s are coming to me I guess 😆)

@theblondebump those are both really great names!! 

@allthingsbarbie hahaha too funny! I do really like Harrison!

@aisukurimsarang I love Zoe! 🥰 No no on ZIT, poor girl, ha!! 

@bblair24 Cecelia is beautiful!! That would go on our list for sure if we were having a girl!

@bbrahmbhatt I love Graham too!! Unfortunately one of the grandmas goes by “gram” so pretty sure DH is vetoing. Sigh! Okay so middle ideas for a few on your list (and clearly I have some go tos 🤪):
    Penelope Jane
    Charlotte Leigh
    Lillian/Lily Jane
    Eleanor (loooove Eleanor!) Grace
    Isla Rose 
    Olivia Anne
    Sophie Grace

@kvh22 our son got my husbands red hair (but my brown eyes!) and I think a redhead is tooootally a game changer for a name haha!
  • Cecilia is lovely name!  Unfortunately, it's also my SIL's name.  And I have another SIL named Nora, which is also a lovely (now off the table) name.

@theblondebump I am jealous that you have this figured out so early in the game! 

@BuckeyeNut05 I love Bennett!

@slord33 Theodore is a great name.  That was on my list last time but my husband crossed it off.

We had a really tough time with names last time.  We were team green and didn't have a definitive pick for either a boy or a girl before birth. We wound up going with my husband's last name (which was the plan) which is a Chinese name, and family names from my side for first and middle. We picked two Norwegian names from my dad's side of the family, and he goes by a nickname for his middle name (which is a weird name that no one has ever heard of before).  It was my grandfather's name and he was the 7th in his family with it.  My son has a more normal/common first name (also Norwegian, just more common) that he can use if he wants to later in life.  I like his name but it is kind of annoying to explain it to people since it's a name no one else has.  I also didn't think about the fact that the nickname that he goes by is one syllable and so is his last name.  So his name is definitely different/memorable! :D

This time, we plan to find out the sex so we'll have longer to narrow in on a name for that sex before birth.  We're planning to use my last name (a Norwegian name) which has more than one syllable.  We're planning to use family names from my husband's side for the first and middle.  It's a bit tricky because half of his family is Chinese and he doesn't want to use a Chinese name, and the other half is Irish.  There is not a heck of a lot of variety on the Irish (very Catholic) side, just a million Marys and Patricks.  Not that there is anything wrong with those names but we'd like something a little less popular.  His mom (the Irish one) is one of six, and the three girls are all named Mary (something).  We'll see if we can find something we like.  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @goldpolkadot I love those! My faves are Harrison and Graham <3 
    @juliebird6 Griffin is such a great name- I love James for the middle
    @bbrahmbhatt Love Cecelia-- that's my friends daughters name and she became a Cece which fits her perfectly-- so cute!

We are having a girl and thinking Molly, the M name in honor of my uncle who passed away recently.
  • @slord33 love Theodore!  My girl name that has been vetoed twice by my husband was Thea. 😩 
  • Well DH has vetoed Cecelia, which is sad! Maybe we’ll just have a boy so we can finally use our boy name. Probably not though. 😂
  • @bblair24 MH vetoed Cecelia too! What is it with these men?!
  • @bbrahmbhatt they obviously don’t know a good name when they hear it! 😂 DH did give me a reason. We’re big fans of The Office (I don’t know if you’ve seen it or not) and the main couple has a baby and names it CiCi. He said he was worried that people would think we named her that after the show. 🤦🏻‍♀️
  • Late the post but so many cute names! For DS we had a really hard time narrowing it down from our top few. I loved Austin, Carson and Cameron but they were ultimately not used. It was a while after we found out he was a boy before we settled. We had our girl choice and are using it this time, Emma Rose. Rose is after DH’s grandma. I asked several times if DH wanted to think of any other options but I think he was scarred from last time and didn’t want to think about it anymore. 
  • My husband recently threw a huge wrench into the only name we agreed on (our girl name) - we were in love with Aria Grace even before I got pregnant, but recently he was afraid it would be too hard with our last name (Aria with an AR starting last name would, admittedly, be tough for a young kid...)

SO now we're back to the drawing board! We're thinking of Amelia Grace for a girl and Beckett Michael for a boy but the boy name is still pretty in flux. 
  • @anarmillay92918 I love the name Amelia! I have actually thought about it with both of our girls, and with this baby too. The unfortunate part is my college ex bf and I discussed baby names once (the things you do that looking back are just really stupid 😂) and I told him how much I loved the name Amelia. He said he loved it too. So now when I think of that name, I think of him, and that’s not something I want to saddle my kid with, haha!
  • For a girl I like Lennon Andrea
    For a boy, Daniel (letting Dad pick the middle)

Not 100% on any of them, so we'll see.

@forevertired I like your boys names
    @anarmillay92918 I like Amelia and Beckett
  • @goldpolkadot So many great names on your list! Graham is adorable! 

@slord33 Theodore is a great name and so cute when they’re little to hear them say it! We chose that name for DS but he goes by Teddy for short. DH and I struggled so hard to find a name that felt right but as soon as that one popped up we knew that was it! Lol. 

@theblondebump Hannah Reese is a beautiful name and sounds so sweet!

@anarmillay92918 Amelia Grace is so elegant and pretty. I love that! Beckett was on my list too! I was so set on a B in the beginning. 

So many great names! All of the apps and sites I’ve been looking at make all the names start to clash together after awhile making it hard! Lol. DH and I always have such a hard time with this part, especially boy names! We usually don’t lock in until closer to delivery or even during :D This time I’m trying to push it sooner. Lol. 

Before we found out we are having a boy, we had Gracélynn ‘Gracie’ Deena for a girl pretty much set. Deena for a wonderful woman who helped raise me that I lost last year. Girl names came so much easier for us! For a boy I originally liked William or Nicholas, but now that we know for sure, I’ve thrown them both out of course. Haha. 

Leaning towards Emerson Dean now but who knows if that’s really gonna be it with this brain! Lol. 
  • So many great names here! 

@bblair24 cici is my oldest daughter’s nickname and she loves it!

Boy names are SO hard for me. I have a Hayes and I adore his name. Just haven’t loved anything else as much. Here is my list so far:

Wells 

Carter

Cole

Connor

Hollis

Jackson

Griffin

Rhys

Hale

Briar

Gabe

Pregnancy Ticker

• @Lexibizzel I love Lennon and Daniel. We are thinking of Daniel for a boy too.  I want to incorporate old names from both sides: Alejandro and Fabian, but I feel like it would be a little too much to do both.  I also really like the name Blue for a boy, but don't know if it's too weird
  • edited November 2020
    @bbrahmbhatt I love the name Maeve- really cute option!

my husband and I have decided on Gaelan Ezra for either boy or girl. My mom’s middle name is Gayle and I figured Gaelan is a cute play on that and a way to honor her since my mom has been the biggest support we’ve had!
    but I have to admit- I tried hard to rally for the name Marlowe for a girl and my husband wouldn’t give since our dogs name is Arlo 😂
  • When ds was almost 4 before we knew dd was a girl he declared that the baby would be named Leo. He somehow remembered that for this baby (he’s 5.5 now) and told us it would be Leo for a boy or Lia for a girl, I have no idea where he got those names, we don’t know anyone with them and can’t think of any shows or movies with them. But I think both dh and I had no interest in lamenting over names this time so we just said ok. Leo Joseph or Lia Rose. Works for me! Thanks kid!
  • My 3 boys all have C names. Didnt start out intentional but we are kind of committed now. Would also use a K name. We aren't set on any boy or girl names yet... I have several ideas but hubby is a much harder sell haha. 
  • @juliebird6 on syllable middle name ideas: 
    Mark
    Lee
    Rhett
    Drew
    Graham
    Paul
    Finn
    York
    Cole
    Hank
    Luke
    Zane
    Earl
    Grey
    Vince

just trying to get a variety of themes!

Sorry I don’t remember who had Isla on their list but I love it!  It sounds terrible with our last name, and a good friend just had a little girl and named her Isla, so glad I get to sort of experience it. 

We only have a couple of names we agree on so far. For a boy we have Felix or Simon and for a girl we have Nora, Phoebe, and DH likes Iris. It was our girl choice for DS2, but I’m not sure this time around. But I keep thinking it’s another boy so we don’t need a girl name still. 
  • @theletlers thank you! I get in such a rut so other people’s lists/ideas are so helpful!

I’m partial to Felix - DS is a Felix! But I also like the name Simon too. Your girl names are pretty too! Apparently we have a similar naming vibe 🥰
  • I love Cici! 

Our girl name is Greeley Gillian, and we plan on using the nickname Gigi. 

Our boy name is Odin Craig. Craig is my grandfather who's like a dad to me, and Odin is just adorable.

Our daughter's name is Aliceana so we had to pick something original for this one too. 😂
  • @thedomesticgeek how do you pronounce your daughter’s name? One of my cousins has a daughter who is Alysiana...looks similar and I thought I’d never meet another!  but maybe I’m totally mispronouncing how you say your DD’s name.
  • @goldpolkadot we have a Harrison. I love his name. We've only met one other Harrison, at a playground once. :)

We are deciding between Thomas and Henry right now for this baby. Middle name will be a family name.