July 2020 Moms

Re: Weekly Randoms - 1/20

• Hello? Anybody here? :joy:

• Hello @stlbuckeye132! I'm wiped out from the weekend. I need a weekend to recover from my mostly lazy weekend 🤣

I have a random: we finalized our memorial day camping plans last night. I'm so so ready for warm weather. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @modoodles was also thinking I need a day of recovery after the weekend. But sadly because it was a long work weekend 😔. 
    I too am also soo ready for warm weather!! But today I will enjoy the snow we have and go snowshoeing for the first time this season. I expect it to be a bit rough 😂 ❤️
  • @modoodles have we talked about this?... the fact that you're clearly crazy :D You couldn't pay me to go camping at (what would be for me at that point) 34 weeks pregnant. I also just hate camping in general... but still. Why are you so crazy?! hahaha

@stlbuckeye132 thanks for stepping in and posting randoms! Super busy with work this AM :smile:
  • @modoodles @blaf322  H and I (and my siblings) have also started discussing camping adventures that typically start memorial as well...  I will be bring my air mattress this time though, no ground for me this year. 😂 
  • @nursejenn5 yeeeeah... an air mattress isn't enough to get me sleeping in a tent lol.

I'm hoping to get approval from my OB to go visit a friend from DD's BMB that weekend (5.5hr drive). We'd likely stay with them so the girls can play together, I can get some baby snuggles from her brand new baby and the adults can hang out after the kiddos are down.
  • @blaf322 I was about to comment on @modoodles craziness going camping at that stage of pregnancy, but you beat me to it! Noooo thank you.
  • 🤣🤣 I always use an air mattress, but I grew up camping, and did through my other pregnancies, so hopefully it isn't too bad. One of our friends that is going has already been insisting that I use her camper, but i really dont want to. I hate using stuff that belongs to other people. What if my kids break something? 
  • We had an insane camping year last summer, like every second weekend and our summers don’t get great until end of June/early July. I know DH is a bit bummed out we’ll miss peak season, but hopefully we can get a trip or two in. We’d be staying in a camper, so hopefully not too bad!
  • @JessDG I also shopped for maternity jeans this weekend! And a few other things. Turns out the Buy Buy Baby by me has motherhood maternity clothes - could be worth checking out?
  • consignment stores that are close to any already closed MM stores are also worth looking at. The pants I got for that nice dinner the other weekend came from a consignment store that had brand new MM stuff they got after the closing
  • I can't remember and I'm so sleep deprived from the weekend so apologies - did we make a thread somewhere for baby registries? I know we have the product spotlights but am wondering if we have something that's more or less STM+ advice on what is a registry must have and what you registered for that you never used, how many onesies/outfits to register for in each size, etc. Now that we had our gender reveal I'm starting to look into registry stuff and am so overwhelmed! 

All that to say, if we don't have one of those threads already, is anyone opposed to me making one? 
  • I ordered a salad to go for lunch from a local chain and I'm so annoyed b/c they made it smaller than they usually do! Never mind the fact that I'm NEVER able to finish the salad when they make it as big as they usually do :D Whatever, not their choice to make! Give me what I paid for! hahaha 
  • @b_1029 I’d be down for this. I’ve been dreading starting a registry simply because I have NO IDEA what to put on it 😬
  • @b_1029 I’m in for this! Even as a STM, I feel like I still have questions and I definitely have advice I’d like to share! 
  • @b_1029 I'm here for this. The lists they give are so big and I'd love some perspective on "you don't need that" and "actually, you really do need that" and "you need 5 of these but only 1 of those" (esp in the clothes category) Less about specific product recommendations and more about overall registry strategy kind of?
  • @b_1029 my only issue with this (for myself) would be where to start. There's SO much that goes on a registry, I'm not sure where I'd start lol. I know we spoke about that early on... pre-product spotlight series and, I think, folks said all the info was overwhelming so a product spotlight would be more helpful. I'll see if I can find that thread and tag you in it though. 
    Was there something specific you wanted to know about? Not poo pooing the idea... and will participate/help all I can if it's started. I just know the thread was all over the place when it was started pre-PSS 
  • @blaf322 yeah that totally makes sense and I vaguely remember that discussion! I think more of what I'm looking for is something like a general "you need a stroller, a carrier, X amount of 0-3m onesies, X amount of 3-6m onesies...I registered for X and only used it once" type thing. Not sure if I'm making any sense lol I think I'm operating at like 12% brain capacity today. I wasn't looking for specific product info since that's what the spotlights are for, more just a general idea of what should and doesn't necessarily need to go on there. Could even get fancy and link all the product spotlights in it at the top haha. 
    I'm not married to the idea either, I'm just feeling overwhelmed looking at some of these registry "checklists" that are out there and wondering if all these things are even necessary. 
  • @b_1029 I totally get what you're saying. I felt the same. way. when registering with DD. Literally, DH and I got to the store and left b/c it was just too much. I went back, came up with a plan, and took my bestie (who already had a baby) with me instead of DH the next time lol.

For the big stuff, use Lucie's List. I know I probably sound like a broken record, recommending that site, but it was a HUGE help for me. It also talks about other small (but important) things, like clothing, that you'll need.

Again, totally not saying we can't continue that recommendation thread (I tagged you in it :smile: so it should pull to the top for ease of locating) but I think Lucie's List (and my bestie) helped me the most b/c opinions vary SO wildly about what's needed/what's not and how much of stuff to get that having a large group of people all giving varying opinions overwhelmed me too. 

Re: clothing to register for (and an example of varied opinions)... I didn't register for any clothes.... at all. I didn't want them from my shower. I still got some, but I wanted people helping me with the expensive stuff and I wanted to pick out the fun clothing from places I liked... not just Buy Buy Baby. I kinda feel like clothing is so dependent on personal preference (I don't like anything that says "mommy's girl" or anything like that) so it was best for me to just get what I thought I needed vs giving others options of things to buy just b/c I felt like they wanted to buy fun clothes.... if that logic makes any sense, at all lol
  • @meanjellybean oooo... good idea!!
  • @b_1029 don’t register for clothes! Everyone will get you clothes regardless of what you put on there.
  • @b_1029 I remember that feeling of being completely overwhelmed! There is sooo much stuff out there. My sister recommended this book to me, and I ended up using it a TON. It has comparison table of different products, I felt it was honest about things you NEED/are nice to have if you can afford it/don't bother wasting your money, etc. I can't remember for sure without looking at mine, but I think it also had a breakdown for about how many diapers of each size you go through on average, same with onesies, socks, etc. Link to book in spoiler b/c the link is super long. Definitely talk to friends/family who have had babies and have one go walk through a store with you if you can!

• @meanjellybean I've done some registry stalking, thanks for the reminder that I should do it with folks I actually know lol. Seeing old registries would definitely be helpful, right now mine has diapers on it and not a whole lot else.
  • I actually opened up my old registry the other day to remind myself what was on there.  It helped a lot . 

When I was pregnant with DS, my SIL took us to babies r us and we walked around and she told us all the things she used a lot and stuff she didn't.  I just snapped pics a d DH kept a list and that's how we got started. If you have a friend or family member that can do that for you I highly recommend!  

Also, +1 to no clothes on registry unless it is something you REALLY want people to know you want.  You will get more clothes than you could ever want.

• This is dumb... but I’m so conflicted lol... we have both brownies and ice cream in the house and I definitely want some...but I have my OB appt tomorrow and don’t want to gain any before the appt. So, here I am, wishing I was eating dessert but not 
  • @blaf322 eat both, drink a LOT of water, and wear leggings 😂
  • @blaf322 I feel like the bump is always highlighting articles like, “if you need to satisfy a craving, just have a bite!” 😂😂😂😂 I don’t do moderation so I always just lol at that.

My midwife has always told me to stick to a gestational diabetes diet for all of pregnancy and I can’t handle it as well. My newly diagnosed celiacs is helping the cause, but I can’t handle ice cream in the house. It would be gone so fast. 
  • @modoodles omg those names are so obnoxious 😬

i have one with a Maxton, Kayson, and Jaylon...I hate it so much. 
  • blaf322blaf322 member
    edited January 2020
    @Pascal86 when I was doing WW, I was so good with just one bite. Not so much now lol... also super terrible when it comes to sweets. It’s like they’re calling my name 😂
  • +1 to Lucie's List (+10 really)

Also totally agree with registry stalking. The hard part is that usually it's FTMs that have the "big" registries and they don't have the experience to say that you're going to use this or that or won't really need X, Y, or Z.

I'd be up for a "Don't bother registering for these things" thread, and/or a "Bare minimum baby registry" thread, and keeping them more as general categories instead of specific product recommendations. We started donating all our baby stuff after #2, so I'm going to have to figure out what we truly want/need to get again and what we can live without!
    2/13 Blighted ovum, D&C -- 6/13 MC -- 8/14 DD born -- 3/17 MC -- 9/18 DD2 born
    Expecting again -- EDD 7/27/20
  • @modoodles I’m with you on those names. UGH. I just feel like, why, why, why? I can see they’re trying to have them all share something in common but it’s a lifetime of misspelled names for those girls

@treeofcheem “bare minimum” is a good idea for a registry. My biggest suggestion to FTMs is usually to keep it SIMPLE. We’re always told you “absolutely need” this item. So untrue. Half of it is unnecessary because every baby is so different in what they actually like. 

• @meanjellybean watching this week’s 90 day and Natalie in the car is the woooorst!

I really liked her up until this point. But, like, of course he’s upset! You’re trying to talk to him about having babies but, when asked if you love him, you can’t say yes? THEN, instead of apologizing before he hops on a flight, she’s acting like a straight up child in the car... “your mom loves you. Your dad loves you. See how many people love you!” 🙄
  • @blaf322 I’m lol’ing right now because we are literally watching the second half of the episode right this second (I couldn’t make it through last night). Yeah Natalie turned into an absolute weirdo. Love how she said something about him being young and then she acted like a 5 year old. Pretty sure my fave is what’s his name and Anny in winter park Florida. I almost peed myself when a few episodes ago she demanded to go the strip club for her bday and he was so not into it 😂
  • It’s 1:00 in the morning and now after reading @blaf322 comment about ice cream, I’m about to get out of bed and get some! Wish we had brownies though because that sounds amazing 
  • @meanjellybean omg! That must have been episode 8. They didn’t put it on demand so we can’t watch it! I mean, I could record it on the DVR downstairs... but we never watch down there. I could tell I missed a good episode!
  • Update... I had to eat some yogurt to calm my heartburn right before bed and ended up gaining because of it 😑 should have just eaten the damn brownies with ice cream.