August 2020 Moms
Options

Random chatter w/o 1/20

13»

Re: Random chatter w/o 1/20

• Options
    @emiliadkay @coldlife @BusinessWife Thank you!!! I will try an assortment of those suggestions. He is right around 1 right now so it sounds like it's a common issue. Our usual cloth diaper is Alva Baby from Amazon with the inserts. I'm looking to stock up on more with the arrival of another little one in cloth diapers so I am open to try some new brands that anyone recommends. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @tyrion_ I know, same here. And trying new/revisiting favorite restaurants is my favorite thing ever so I wouldn't mind if that's what I was spending the money on, but it's all the unplanned takeout and fast food stops that add up. I've been trying really hard to use my lack of motivation on Friday afternoons to plan out meals for the following week and build a grocery list, and it helps some but we still struggle.

@ziggymama06 Welcome to CD world! I think you'll love it. I just checked and looks like all things diapering is our product spotlight in two weeks, so maybe we can kick off then and bump it again in a few months when people are getting ready to dust off old stashes and/or make purchases.
  • Options
    @psychobutthead What kind of cloth pull ups do you use for your son? 
  • Options
    If anyone wants to start a dedicated money/finances thread, doesn't have to be strictly baby related, I'd be down with that!

@wednesdaygirl1019,
    That would be all-in-ones. They have the absorbency and the waterproof layer all sewn together (snap and velcro options) so they're exactly like a disposable except you throw them in the wash. The con is they are the easiest option, but they're also the most expensive. 

If you google things like "types of cloth diapers" or "cloth diapering basics" or searching on YouTube, there's lots of articles and videos that cover the details. Basically (from least easy to easy and also least expensive to most), there are prefolds/flats/inserts and covers, fitteds and covers, pocket diapers with inserts, and all-in-ones or all-in-twos. AI2s, sometimes called hybrids, have adjustable absorbency via snap-in inserts but are fairly similar to AIOs and are often categorized together. 
  • Options
    cornichonmamcornichonmam member
    edited January 2020
    @Businesswife @riatortillaxo @coldlife @emiliadkayWe CD too. We should definitely have a thread at some point. We use Bambino Mio, I'm not sure if they are available int he US.
  • Options
    @gomillis they are thirsties brand. Just out in amazon thirsties cloth training diaper and they come up. It pulls up and down like a pullup.
    Pregnancy #1 DD 08.30.2007
    Pregnancy #2 Natural Miscarriage at 6 weeks 03/2014 Due date 11/9/2014
    Pregnancy #3 DS 02.23.2015
    Pregnancy #4 Missed Miscarriage at 11 weeks 11/2018 Due date 5/22/2019
    Pregnancy #5 Positive test 12/11/2019 Due Date 8/17/2020

• Options
    @cornichonmam ooh!  We have one of those!  The online retailers are changing all the time, but I got the print with the hot air balloons on it! 😊 Just the one tho so far...

@tyrion_ I laughed a little too hard at your comment about eating all your money.  Yummmm

@psychobutthead I want to use cloth trainers too, when the time comes.  I just don't want to try and push it too soon?  But man, I would love not to have two in diapers... Maybe wishful thinking right there.
  • Options
    @BusinessWife you don't need cloth trainers. You can just go straight from diapers to naked to undies. We did use the Grovia trainers for a bit, but they run super small so if you are going to use them now is the time. We never bothered trying other brands of trainers. 
  • Options
    @BusinessWife potty train during second trimester if you feel up to it and LO shows signs of readiness. There are a million ways to potty train and they all get there eventually. How old is your little? I loved the Oh Crap! Potty Training book and method and was successful beginning at 17 months with my very verbal little one. It was a lot of effort, but two months later it was so worth it!  I'd love to have my second trained before this baby and DH is all about it too, but it's going to be a tight timeline because he's not even walking yet! 
  • Options
    @BusinessWife we went from diapers to bare bottom as well. My youngest still refuses to wear underwear but he's 100% potty trained. Just likes the ventilation I guess.

@lachnessmomster I forgot about how much better the SB echos fit for newborns than Thirsties. They're not as bulky. It's really nice. 
  • Options
    @roo_baby No objections at all! Go forth!!
  • Options
    I feel like I don't know the first thing.  But idk, maybe I don't give myself enough credit.  She's 16 months, tries to pull up her pants while I'm changing her diaper, likes flushing the toilet (she can't quite push the handle all the way herself) and there are times I check her diaper and it's dry.  So maybe?  I never even get a full weekend though because I work a half day every Saturday. I might have a little vacation time end of February, but we also didn't get to visit my family so we need to talk about if we might be travelling. :/
  • Options
    @BusinessWife I need to bust our Oh Crap book back out and refresh, but if memory serves there are a whole bunch of different "readiness signs" and no true magic green light. But, according to the author, for most families and kids the ideal teaching window is 20-30 months. I can't remember if your daughter goes to daycare or not, but that's another thing to consider and potentially navigate. Ours (I recently learned) tries to wait until 24 months because that's the point where there's a bathroom in the class, so if we want to do this sooner it's going to take some extra cajoling and/or creative thinking.
  • Options
    We didn't use any trainers either. I started putting my daughter in just fitteds with no cover so I could see as soon as she peed. And then switched to panties after a little while of that. 

I started potty training my daughter the day she turned 18 months because I wanted progress before #2 was born. It definitely took longer than some people/resources say it "should," but I didn't mind at all. She wouldn't really communicate she needed to go, so it was us putting her on the toilet at regular intervals, and then she'd go. But I would 100% rather remember to put her on the toilet every hour than change diapers. She was pretty good at communicating or going by herself by around 22 months. I will be starting training 2 at 18 months as well. 
  • Options
    @BusinessWife I don't have plans for training DS before baby comes, I'm just going to play it by ear. Also I've heard that boys usualy potty train a little later than girls. But we did get a potty a while ago and we do put him on it now and then, especially first thing in the morning he will usualy go if we put him on. We wanted him to be used to the idea that he dosen't only go in his nappy before trying to get him to control when he goes.