July 2020 Moms

Weekly Randoms w/o 12/30

Re: Weekly Randoms w/o 12/30

• @kc0711 oh I love that!! 
  • We’re going to do a woodland theme for the little fella. Greens, browns, cream/taupe, with some tree decals (or stencil if I’m feeling brave). If I get truly ambitious I’ll be deliberate about the trees/plant choices to represent where DH (Brazil) and I (Arkansas/Missouri) grew up. But that may be quasi-nuts and drive me insane so maybe just do some pine trees and call it a day since we live in Minnesota now. 😂

• Loading the player...
  • These nurseries are so cute! H and I are on the fence about what to do, our main thoughts always steer back to "something literary" but never more specific than that.

Unrelated - anyone else excited to have a swallow of champagne at midnight? I'm not a drinker normally but am excited for a toast!
  • @pocketrose a literary theme would be so cute! My cousin just did a Beatrix Potter-themed nursery for her son. Super cute! 

We’re in London and had tix to the huge fireworks downtown but I’m tired and DH was anxious about crazy crowds pushing his pregnant wife around (he’s a sweet worrier these days). So we’re back at the AirBnB with a small bottle of champagne. Definitely looking forward to a toast! 
  • @rachelredhead H and I have a lot of favorites, I think the goal will be to include as many as possible without it looking like a mess lol. 
  • @pocketrose I understand! I was an English major so even with the woodland theme I think I’m still gonna do something like the below for our favorite story destinations. 😁 It’ll be fun to figure out, even if my Pinterest board right now is a wreck of ideas. 

• @blaf322 Pic #3 in @modoodles pins is the Babyletto (Lolly?) crib I have for my son and it’s convertible. Also comes in gray and black combos which I love too.

For boy decor, while it’s a bit expensive, I found some super cute stuff at Restoration Hardware Kid & Baby. I have these planes on one wall; and a couple of these Dog pillows for decoration. Then the other items are less expensive.

• @modoodles I’m obsessed with all those cribs! I tend to favor the simple style as well.
  • @beckylookatherbump what a great tip! 

@pocketrose I had my champs toast but definitely didn’t make it until midnight 😂

@pretzellover oh! Thanks for the info! I’m going to take a look at that one!! Also, totally didn’t think about RH as an option! Great idea! 
  • @meanjellybean your poor DD! Hopefully she's feeling better! I don't remember having too much trouble with kids/medicine, but I'm sure we had our share of those issues as well, but some of those struggles fade eventually. And totally not trying to compare kids/parenting to dogs, but one of my dogs is the fecking worst at taking meds. He seems like he can find it in anything, so if he has to have meds I have to make a meat/refried beans combo for him to take it. 🙄 he can find it in peanut butter, stuck into hot dogs, wrapped up in cheese...He's ridiculous. 
  • @modoodles that sounds like our dog! He’s crazy... he’ll chew up the whole treat or whatever it is the pill is in and spit the pill on the floor 🙄🤦🏻‍♀️

@meanjellybean hope your DD feels better soon! 

• @meanjellybean my 18 month old is the absolute worst with taking medicine. Even the stuff that tastes good like Motrin and Benadryl he freaks out. He’s had way too many ear infections to count and he’s allergic to amoxicillin so they always prescribe cefdinir and it tastes gross. We have to add it to a really big cup of milk to dilute the taste and it’s the only way he’ll drink it, but we have to make sure his big brother doesn’t get a hold of it because it takes him forever to drink. Sometimes we try one of us holding him down and the other squirting it in the back of his throat but he loses his shit. He recently had croup and you’re right the steroid tastes awful! I don’t know how we managed to get him to take all the doses. Unfortunately he’s allergic to peanuts so we can’t try that trick but we sometimes have luck with Apple juice. I tried chocolate milk once and he thought it was disgusting 🤷‍♀️ 

He doesn’t take a bottle anymore but when he did we could stick the nipple in his mouth and trick him into thinking it was his bottle and squirting the medicine into the nipple as he sucked. He’s too smart for that now. 
  • @zande2016 that sucks that it’s so difficult for him to take medicine! My DS is a little too happy to take Motrin/Tylenol. He gets excited when he sees the syringes 😅. 
  • @meanjellybean very creative!
    Our 18m old is suspicious of any medicine, and the first time I gave him Motrin I was so proud I got the whole syringe down in one squirt... then he made this eff-you face, and literally projectile vomited the contents of his entire stomach on me and the entire dining room. 🥴 (so much for the rug!)
    After that, what has worked for us is this hybrid paci / syringe thing which the company that makes the nose Frida sells. Works like a charm since he only gets a paci to sleep so he thinks it’s a special occasion.
    Not sure what we will do when he outgrows that! We never could get our dog to take pills! 
  • Well I've started the new year by tripping over a crack in the sidewalk and spraining my ankle  :|. Is this the kind of thing I need to share with the OBGYN? I didn't fall hard/have always had tiny ankles prone to rolling and it basically rolled and then I rolled...
  • @modoodles that’s actually what gave me the idea.. I remembered my family used to have to give our dog pills in peanut butter lol

@zande2016 glad I’m not alone lol. This is thankfully her first ear infection but second bout of croup so I’m scared she’s going to keep getting it and I’ll be torturing my child in order to get this medicine in her for all of her childhood lol.

@pretzellover omg nooo RIP rug lol that’s so upsetting. We actually have that medi-Frieda too but I haven’t tried it! Maybe it’s worth a shot, although I’m pretty sure she will get wise to the trick pretty fast 😂
  • @meanjellybean DD goes through spurts. One minute she'll be find with taking medicine and the next she's a terror about it (literally... it changes from dose to dose when she's on abx). You're much nicer than we are though. I just lay her down, throw my leg over her so she can't try to stop me with her hands, and squirt small amounts in her cheek until she's taken it all lol... when she took a bottle we'd put it in her milk. But since that's not an option anymore, we just go with what takes the least of everyone's time now :D 
  • @blaf322 when I say I can't force her, I don't mean I can't because I'm nice, I can't because it doesn't work lol. I even tried holding her nose so she's forced to swallow it but nope, it all came back out. I honestly don't know how she's able to spit it all out. So whenever I've done it, I just get really angry AND me and her are covered in medicine AND she didn't take any of it. So peanut butter it is for this round. If she has to do those steroids again I don't know what I'll do because nothing masks that taste! I haven't tried to squirt small amounts at a time though while restraining her, so maybe I'll give that a shot next  :p
  • Who all is back at work today 🙋 feeling rusty and missing Netflix haha
  • @mehugg meeee after almost 2 weeks of bliss. I’m dragging so hard today 😅
  • @meanjellybean we're sooo lucky that DD doesn't spit it out! Our last round of steroids were rough too (we also had cefdinir but she was better about that than the steroids). Glad you found something that works! I'm totally asking for a chewable option next time!
  • @pretzellover it’s pretty hard to account for the way little kids pronounce things when picking baby names. I have to side with your family a little bit, it is pretty hilarious 😂. It’ll be a funny story when he’s older, at least. 
    DH and I have been starting the baby name conversation and I forgot how fun/overwhelming it is to actually choose a name for this human that they will have forever. I looove names and hearing what other people name their kids, but it’s so difficult to do!
  • @stlbuckeye132 I had to peek with DD. My DH doesn’t know to this day. And I still don’t regret it!
  • @kc0711 hahaha that's amazing! I'd definitely tell MH if I knew, I'm a terrible liar and would feel way too guilty. My friend just found out that I'm pregnant (we sent out New Years cards with an announcement) and was complaining about how we won't find out because it drives her crazy. It was just the motivation I needed to dig my heels in and stop looking. I love bugging people like her who tell me I won't be able to hold out that long, etc. I guess you could say I'm stubborn! lol
  • modoodlesmodoodles member
    edited January 2020
    @kc0711 that makes me laugh- and it's impressive that you could keep it a secret! I'm a HORRIBLE secret keeper. I go back and forth on wanting to know, but my DH is dead set on being team green, and I also think it would be exciting. But I know we will struggle with names. And I also want all the cute blankets for the hospital for either a boy/girl right away! Maybe I should just buy one of each? My friend suggested we let her find out and then I send her my etsy links and she can bring the appropriate stuff to the hospital... which I am thinking about.. but I know my DH wouldn't be thrilled about that. He would worry that she'd ruin the surprise. 
  • @kc0711 that's hilarious! @stlbuckeye132 we were the same with DD, I kind of loved how much it pissed people off that we wouldn't find out, especially my mom and MIL. Made it easier (and more exciting) to wait!
  • @stlbuckeye132 YES omg. Every time I would be like "I don't know what that means?" Your kid's genitals dictate your plans that much? Reevaluate your life choices. Having said that, I'm leaning towards finding out at the anatomy scan this time. For a couple of reasons. The first is I kind of want to experience finding out that way. Like it was such a cool experience finding out when she was born but since we have another opportunity, it might be cool to find out during the scan too! The other reason is kind of silly but since DD is so young, I'd kind of like to be able to talk about either her baby brother or baby sister to her to maybe make it seem more "real" to her? Help her visualize it a bit more? I don't know if that makes sense lol. Like when we were team green we referred to the baby as "it" a lot and I think maybe this time being able to say "he" or "she" might help her connect the dots. Or not at all. AND and I could start getting rid of some of DD's "girl" clothes that she has grown out of. Luckily since we were team green we have plenty of neutral 0-3 month and 3-6 month clothes, but obviously after that there is stuff that is decidedly "girly" and it would be nice to donate it!
  • @meanjellybean "Reevaluate your life choices." :D:D:D 

I get the whole, wanting to find out that way, thing. With all the genetic testing we had to do on our embryos, I always felt gypped on the whole, waiting to find out/finding out at the AS thing. Which is dumb. And I recognize that now. But I get the feeling b/c it mattered to me before.
  • @beckylookatherbump I grew up with 2 brothers and a sister, I have cousins of both sexes and babysat a ton growing up so I think my exposure to boys and girls was pretty even. That being said I have always been a girly girl, loved feminine things,  ect. I always imagined having a daughter... I have two amazing sons!

I was terrified that I wouldn't know how to be a boy mom. Don't worry,  they teach you! Just follow their interests and you'll do great! It's easy to love dirt, trucks and transformers when you see how much your son loves it! I love being a boy mom! (But I still would love to have a daughter!)
  • @MrsB915 this may come as a shock but girls can also like dirt, trucks and transformers. And boys can like things you may assume are “girly.”
  • @meanjellybean boys can, my brother played dress up but it doesn’t change that boys and girls are different and caring for them can be very different. 
    @MrsB915 I’m sure I will it’s just a whole new ballgame for me. How do I care for circumcisions, or not get peed on while changing diapers or teach them to aim at a toilet lol. I just feel so out of my element. 
  • @beckylookatherbump I don't even remember circ care, it was so long ago- but it heals very quickly! And as for getting peed on during diaper changes- i feel like it happens no matter what. I learned to place a wet wipe over the peen to kind of deflect it while I wiped. One funny thing my DS did that my daughter didn't was pee all over his own face during a diaper change once 😂 That was during his first week home and I laughed SO hard. 

I grew up with all sisters and all female cousins. I had my DD first and then when my second was a DS I felt totally out of my element. Now, there are 11 grandkids and only 2 are girls. My sister has 4 boys and she said she doesnt know what she'd do if she ever had a girl! You'll have a blast. 
  • @beckylookatherbump yeah I understand that girls and boys are anatomically different. I’m referencing the perpetuation of potentially damaging stereotypes before children are even born.