March 2020 Moms

Maternity clothes

Re: Maternity clothes

• @jenEP use your prepregnacy size for everything but bras. Those you’ll have to update as they grow. I’m trying to hold out to later 2nd trimester on bras lol. I will warn you at the very end last time for me anyways a few of my maternity shirts were too short bc my bump got so big but I did gain a bit too much (50lb) and went 41 weeks. However I luckily had a few of the longer motherhood ones that got me through bc I was not buying more clothes for just a couple weeks when baby could come any day! 
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• @chichiphin @varimama For some reason, I have found that maternity clothes run huge. I will buy my normal size, and they won't fit even at the end of pregnancy, so I often size down. But I am heavier than I was with my first two so maybe I can get away with my normal size now. When I look at the size chart for motherhood maternity, I am in between (some of my measurements fall into one, other measurements into the bigger size). I should probably size up just in case! 
  • Loading the player...
  • I second what @varimama said. I lived in dresses for the last month because my bump was GIANT even without gaining much weight. Since it’ll be too cold to do that this time I will look for tunics and leggings. Comfort is key those last few weeks. 
  • currently packing away everything i can't wear until post-pregnancy! it's making so much room in my closet! (also, sorting through for stuff to sale at the big city wide yard sale my town does in Oct.!) We'll hopefully be moving at some point after I graduate (it's looking post-baby now, which comes with its own bag of fun), so these are clothes I won't see for so long! Anyway, thanks to everyone for the tips on this thread--it's helped me decide what I should probably and definitely pack, considering what fits me now/will likely not fit me in the fall/winter (though we barely get winter down here & it seems like winter is impossible since it's been 95+ degrees for like 100 days straight minus like one week of 80s-- I wish I were exaggerating.)
  • Ladies, any idea at what point your boobs are done growing? I’m 12 weeks along and would love to buy new bras but I don’t know if they are going to grow even more in second tri so I’d like to hold off a little longer if that’s the case!
  • @creativesoul83 My boobs grew like 4 sizes last pregnancy and were basically done by 12 weeks. I bought a few nursing bras with a little room to grow at 10 weeks and wore them through the nursing phase with no problem. This time they've just sort of slowly reinflated, but haven't really changed in size. 
  • @creativesoul63 my ob said it's different with everyone. I bought a Knix maternity bra that is supposed to "grow with you", so if you want a link to that site (they do like a discount program if you refer ppl) I can send you my link. I've only had mine a few days, but so far it makes it so it doesn't hurt while i am wearing it--but when i take it off i'm like omg ouch! and the band has stretched for sure since i first got it, like it's supposed to.
  • @creativesoul83 with my first pregnancy they grew towards the end of third tri and then huuuuuge growth spurt when the milk came in. I went for a B to a G. It was insane. They never fully went away and this time they’re just slowly growing. 
  • Also. Update on maternity support tank. I ordered a Blanqi tank from Mercari (online thrift store) to try it out. She didn’t tell me in was underbust, which I hate. But the tank itself is pretty comfy. I’m not super upset since it was so darn cheap, but if I spring for a regular one I definitely won’t get the underbust again. I can’t tell how much support it gives since my belly isn’t giant yet. 
  • Favorite maternity jeans? Looking for a pair of skinny black and skinny dark blue denim, front panel (is that even what they’re called?) only. Not a fan of the side paneled ones. Tried target and the legs are super baggy! 
  • Favorite maternity jeans? Looking for a pair of skinny black and skinny dark blue denim, front panel (is that even what they’re called?) only. Not a fan of the side paneled ones. Tried target and the legs are super baggy! 
    @lemonlove86 For an affordable option try Old Navy. They have a version that is essentially their skinny jeans with the maternity panel.
  • @lemonlove86 I’ve got a pair from a brand called 1822 from Nordstrom’s. I have no bump to speak of, but I’ve realized I despise belly bands. They stay up well despite the lack of bump. Got them for $50 (had a $10 off coupon). They look better than some of my non-maternity jeans, tbh. Skinny, dark wash, super comfy. 
    H&M Mama jeans! They are skinny, full panel and come in a bunch of colors. They are $50, but I've bought 3 pairs on Poshmark for less than $20 each. They run a little snug. I wear an 8 in Gap but a 10 in these. 
  • Resurrecting this thread for a PSA. I got a suuuuuper cute. Leopard print maternity shirt at Walmart today! Super soft and seems like ok quality. For $6 I couldn’t pass it up. Also I love anything leopard so it basically jumped off the shelf at me. 
  • just general complaint about current clothes: even when i pull stuff up over my (small!) bump and under my boobs, i still don't like the feeling of the elastic or tie against my belly there bc it's just uncomfortable. I need like a million dresses that i can wear over the bump or a million maternity dresses. Thursday, I think i am going to wear something to school i wore the second week of school (it's week 5) which is like unheard of for me lol bc i know it's comfortable. aggh.
  • @kagesstarshroom I have the same 4 or 5 dresses in my rotation now and that’s pretty much all I wear! I did order like $500 worth of maternity clothes from Old Navy (will end up returning at least half, if not more) so I cant wait for those to come in! Once the bump is a little bigger I’ll look for maternity tops but feel like I can find those for cheap so don’t want to spend much on them. Did find a great zip up sweatshirt in the maternity section at Target. 
  • I've been on the hunt for a good pair of plus size maternity leggings and found some at Torrid. They seem to have a bunch of other cute maternity stuff, too. Just a got tip for my fellow plus size ladies!
  • Style help please!!! I somehow have 3 variations of the dress below. I hardly ever wear them because I'm a little too modest to wear the dress on its own to school. I've paired it with a cardigan, but it feels a little frumpy. I also need my legs covered to stay warm, but black tights seems like too much black?? I don't know. How would you style this for work? Thanks! 

• @keeksie84 I have a similar dress also. I think black tights would be ok, but I’m also a fan of fun colored tights. If you did black tights I’d add a colorful scarf to add some dimension and maybe a jean jacket? Ooooor you could do over-the-knee socks (I have a bunch that I love) and some tall boots. That way your legs are still mostly covered to stay warm but without having to wear tights. 
  • @miss.sally I knew you'd come through for me!! I like the over the knee sock idea! Do you have a rec for a jean jacket you love? I don't currently own one.  :'(
  • @keeksie84 the one I have that I love is Paper Denim Cloth brand that I got literally over ten years ago. I also got one from my local marketplace for $5 that was from Nordstrom. Lol. I’m pretty sure amazon has some great inexpensive ones like this: 
    dollhouse Women's Genesis Denim Jacket, L https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D8B9Z7F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_lfFKDbN16N3KS

Im definitely more a fan of the shorter and more fitted ones vs the really oversized ones that are “in” right now. But that’s just a personal preference. I love the Nordstrom one I have because it’s made of like... jegging material so it is super comfy. It’s hard to go wrong though! I think you’re in Seattle area right? There are some of the best Nordstrom Rack stores and I bet you could find one there!! 
  • @silverhope I love the seraphine website you recommended!  I bought some really cute, comfy and reasonably priced things from here.

As for a longer jacket, I bought this one, it looks similar to yours but has the extra length.  Its super warm! Big thanks!
    https://www.seraphine.com/en-us/elle-3-in-1-down-coat.html
    Me (30) | DH (29)
    Married 8/02/2019
    EDD 3/18/20 <3
  • Update: I bought some motherhood maternity stuff and I am very underwhelmed with the quality. I guess 4 things for $60, I shouldn't expect too much, but I'm not sure most of the stuff will last more than a few months. I have a $100 gift card to spend there as well, and I'm actually not that exited about it. My Madewell maternity overalls are life. I wear them frequently. 
  • I’m already in full panel maternity pants 😂 I thought “eff this, may as well be comfortable.” And I don’t know if I can ever go back to regular pants now. 
    Me too 😂
    🙌🙌🙌 I just thinking of Thanksgiving and how great it will be to have elastic pants. 😂  what a glorious holiday for pregnant moms. #NOTHOSTING
  • @jenEP does your gift card also work at pea in the pod? They’re the same company so it *should* and even their essentials are wayyyyy better quality. I’m the same way with Motherhood. I’ve never loved their stuff. Pea in the Pod is considerably more expensive but they ALWAYS have huge sales and I’ve gotten some awesome stuff on clearance for really cheap. 
  • @merle89 aw yay! Glad to hear it. I love their clothes (Duchess Catherine has worn their stuff too...so if it’s good enough for royalty, it’s good enough for me ha). 
    Me: 32 | DH: 35
    Married: 8/22/15
    BFP #1: 8/22/17 | DS: 4/20/18 
    BFP #2: 7/14/19 | EDD: 3/18/20
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• @miss.sally good question. I think it does, so I will definitely do that! Thank you.
  • @jenEP so I had great luck with two motherhood dresses and ordered other items... only to return everything else. the quality of the second set of items sucked!! so disappointed. 
    **tw**

married 11.1.14

ttc #1 since 5.18

bfp 12.22.18 letrozole + progesterone

d&e due to trisomy 13/hydrops at 15wks

bfp 7.21.19 letrozole + IUI 

little girl A born 3.26.20

• @jenEP oh bummer. Last time only my motherhood shirts held up and they are still ok, wearing one now actually. So I bought a few more and am happy with everything so far, they must have varying quality... I tend to buy stuff that is already on sale when they have another deal like 30% off sale prices. 
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• Anyone have a recommendation on maternity pajamas? The band on all my pjs is digging into my belly so uncomfortably already. Maybe something that can be worn post partum?
  • @momoftoddlers I got a set from H&M that are maternity/nursing and I want about fifteen more. They’re SO comfy and actually cute! 
  • @momoftoddlers Gap! Especially when it’s on sale. 
  • @miss.sally @chichiphin I just used my gift card to order a dress and tights from A Pea in the Pod. It was Seraphine brand, which I have been eyeing. It was much more expensive than the Motherhood stuff, but I am hoping it will be higher quality.
  • Took the plunge and made an initial maternity wardrobe investment. FYI, Old Navy is offering 40% off your whole order online today. I bought 6 tops, 3 pairs of pants and 2 dresses for $250. Not bad if I do say so myself!
  • did a haul at pink blush today. I've realized I'm too focused on dresses for work, and didn't have much in the way of casual items. Got some olive colored denim, 4 tops, and another sweater dress because I can't help myself lol
    **tw**

married 11.1.14

ttc #1 since 5.18

bfp 12.22.18 letrozole + progesterone

d&e due to trisomy 13/hydrops at 15wks

bfp 7.21.19 letrozole + IUI 

little girl A born 3.26.20

• I'm going to need to check out Pink Blush and also look into Old Navy's sale (which is still happening, yay!).  My regular clothes are close to not fitting at all (pants are a disaster, lol) and I had ordered a few items from Motherhood Maternity a couple weeks ago but even in their small sizes, everything is just too big right now.  I'd like Pea in a Pod stuff since you guys seem to like it so much but it seems expensive.
  • @Malidocious check out Pea in the Pod stuff on Mercari (online consignment store). You can get really awesome high quality stuff for like 90% off. It’s amazing. I’ve gotten a few pairs of designer jeans for less that $15. 
  • MalidociousMalidocious member
    edited October 2019
    @miss.sally Ooh I'll sign up and check it out right now!  Thank you! :)  I am alllllll about great deals.