October 2019 Moms

Re: July Symptoms

• I don't think this pelvic pain I've been feeling for a few weeks is normal. It hurts to stand up, it takes me a hot second to put my pants on because it aches, rolling over in bed is tough, getting out of the car hurts, and I waddle to help take the pressure off. I found something online (oh, Dr. Google...) called SPD and I feel like I might have a minor case of that. Stairs aren't bad for me, but I've found keeping my knees together when standing up definitely helps a lot!

Like I've mentioned before, my weight gain is more than it should be - thankfully nothing incredibly obscene - and I think I'm considered obese now (!), but this is my first baby. I keep joking with myself that maybe coming from a super fertile family has caused my body to go, "Oh, hey, you're built for birthing babies; let me make that easier!"

My question to you ladies is if this pain is normal and I just need to suck it up, or if it's possibly more than that? I'm definitely bringing it up to my doctor at my appointment tomorrow, but I'm curious as to how that verbal transaction may go.
    DD 10/2019
  • @meagan-t, my pelvic pain is pretty much exactly as you described in your first paragraph. It hurts the most overnight/first thing in the morning, with the most painful motions being turning over in bed, getting out of bed, getting in/out of the car, and putting on pants. I have found that sleeping with a pillow between my legs and keeping my legs together as much as possible during these particular  movements helps. So for example, getting out of bed, I try to keep my legs together and swing them in one motion. I attempt it getting out of the car too, but it's easier said than done 😂

I did bring it up to my doctor about 2 months ago, and she said I could try a chiropractor if I wanted, but she was unsure if it would help. I've never seen a chiropractor before and am a little apprehensive about trying it for the first time while pregnant, so I decided to take a wait-and-see approach. I'm uncomfortable, but it's not unbearable. If it gets to an unbearable point, I'll try a chiro.
  • Loading the player...
  • @meagan-t sorry you’re in pain.  
    I’ve been doing some quick yoga moves every evening and they seem to be helpful.  I still have pain like you are describing but less.  The Pigeon pose has been the most helpful!  

Also I’m going to join you in the “gained more than recommend” club.  
  • My doc told me to gain between 20 and 25 lbs total, and I'm already in that range now at only 26 weeks. YAY 🙄
  • Add me to the higher than “ideal” weight gain club. This happened last pregnancy too. It’s like my metabolism flips a switch and my body just starts packing on weight for a rainy day. Happily, my doctors haven’t said a word about it this time.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • You ladies are a blessing. It's nice to hear that I'm not the only one who has gained more weight than I should have. I've tried to be cautious, and I should probably be more active than I am (the pelvic pain really affects me being able to walk comfortably), but I don't feel like I over-indulge most days. I will say, however, that I'm constantly craving sweets, which I know is bad. I try to satiate the craving with fruit, which helps a lot, but sometimes I just want candy.

I need to learn better self-control.
    DD 10/2019
  • Sleeping is starting to suck. Waking up throughout the night, restless, uncomfortable - sigh - the time has come lol 
  • cmbt2cmbt2 member
    Nope, none of you are alone. I put on close to 40 lbs each time and start at a healthy weight. I’m up close to 30lbs already, but as long as baby is healthy, that’s all that really matters. I take the “eat when I’m hungry, not when I’m not” approach and tell anyone who scolds me to that as well. 

@meagan-t yes, that’s SPD. This is my first time having it, but others have told me it goes away a few weeks post delivery. 

And no, a chiropractor doesn’t really help with that. It helps a lot if you’re like me and someone who also has to get the pelvis aligned often, which can exasperate SPD, but not so much for the muscle pain. If it hurts to sit, though, it may help because your pelvis is likely out of whack
    BFP #1 3/07, EDD 11/12/07, MMC 5/7/07
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    BFP #2 5/4/14, EDD 1/15/15, DS1 1/19/15
    BFP #3 8/19/16, EDD 4/30/17, DS2 4/25/17
    BFP #4 12/22/18, EDD 9/6/19 - CP 12/29/18
    BFP #5 1/18/19, EDD 10/3/19, It’s a Girl!
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    High Risk Dx (6/14):  Homozygous MTHFR C677T, protein C & S deficiencies
  • Add me to SPD club. I don't remember having it like this with DS, so that's fun. It's just a side effect of your body producing a bunch of relaxin (the protein that helps loosen your joints for childbirth). Sometimes it is just overproduced or hits your pelvis harder than it should. Also a cause of other joint pain, including ankles and fingers. I'm asking tomorrow about specific exercises that might help, but I definitely second the recommendation for sleeping with a pillow between your knees. Helps with not back sleeping, too!

Heartburn is the other major symptom I'm having. I got it pre-pregnancy anyway, but it is extra frequent and persistant these days. Just trying to keep a small carby snack around at all times to help disk up the extra acid.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I have gained the most this time. I also weighed the most I ever have at the start. My other two, I gained 17 lbs and maybe 20 lbs. This time I'm already at 20+ and going up. But I do eat pretty healthy. I attribute the weight gain to all my pelvic/lower back pains but I have exactly what you have described with the pelvic pain too. It's awful 😞 especially in bed and on the drive home from work! Mondays my rest day😞

• +1 for assumed SPD... My pelvis feels like it's being ripped apart if I sit in one spot for too long, especially at night and in the morning and particularlyggetting out from the car 😭

I have an appointment set for the chiropractor for mh back and hip pain and I'm pretty disappointed to hear it probably won't help my pelvis :/
  • Has anyone tried float tanks for generalized pain? It's like a giant Epsom salt bath but the water is like 90 degrees. I want to check one out for hip pain but will clear with Dr on Friday when I see her. (and yes, add me to the gained too much club too)
  • cmbt2cmbt2 member
    nnaelilak said:
    +1 for assumed SPD... My pelvis feels like it's being ripped apart if I sit in one spot for too long, especially at night and in the morning and particularlyggetting out from the car 😭

I have an appointment set for the chiropractor for mh back and hip pain and I'm pretty disappointed to hear it probably won't help my pelvis :/
    It will if your pelvis is out of alignment! But if it’s general SPD and your hips are managing to stay aligned, then no. The relaxin can cause the muscles that keep your hips in place to relax so much that they slide out of place fairly easily and often ; if that’s the cause of the pain, then yes, it can help, but not cure, until it pops back out. It’s really going to depend on how your pain is presenting and if there’s another culprit exasperating it. 

Like, I had ridiculous back pain with DS1 and DS2. Turned out, my right hip was over an inch higher than my left, causing my pelvis to be completely misaligned, and causing debilitating pain. The chiropractor fixed that and tons of strengthening after DS2. I probably walked around like that for 3 years before we caught it and were able to correct it. This time around, I was okay until the SPD kicked in. Now, the hormones have caused my muscles to relax so much that it basically undid all those strengthening exercises I did post DS2. I go to the chiropractor biweekly to get my hips pushed back into proper alignment, but I still have a bunch of muscle pain from the SPD. It’s just a different type of pain 🤷🏼‍♀️
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • @cmbt2 my hips get out of alignment non-pregnant as well :/ I usually go to the chiro once a month, but need to bump it up... I was hoping I could wait until the third tri*, but I probably shouldn't :)

*I have a limited amount of visits per year, so I hate to bump it up too early... Especially if I end up needing to go once a week the last 4-6 weeks like last time... 
  • SLou24SLou24 member
    Yesss my SI joint pain has started way earlier this time, pubic symphisis pain too. Also yesterday I was dehydrated and got SO crampy, I felt like I couldn't recover all afternoon even after chugging water and laying down for a bit. I have a feeling late summer this time around is going to be a lot harder!
  • @SLou24 @alinic916 add me to the crappy cramps camp. It feels like menstrual cramps to me and they are waking me up in the middle of the night. Trying to increase my water consumption as well but it’s not really helping. My bump has also exploded this last week so I’m hoping it’s just stretching/growing pains. 
  • @alinic916 kids are great at pointing things out, aren’t they?! 

the other night my eldest was trying to feel the baby kick and says “Mom, what are those lines on your stomach?” ... “Um, those  would be stretch marks” 😭
  • So I woke up early this morning my hip was KILLING me, I started freaking out half asleep thinking OMG I need to talk to @cmbt2 about my hip popping out. I sat up and it felt better *rolls eyes* in hindsight I probably was sleeping on something

Ditto on the cramps! I just want to drink something other than water!
  • Leg cramps woke me at 4am. They were so intense my muscle is still sore this morning.
  • @prpl11butterfly Yep. Foot and leg cramps woke me up in the middle of the night, too. I see a banana in my future. 
    TTC History
    Me: 38 DH: 52
    Started trying June 2018
    BFP Jan 2019 DD born October 2019
    TTC July 2021 BFP, ended in MMC August 2021
    TTC October 2021
    BFP January 2022
    MMC March 2022
    Beginning May 2022 under the supervision of an RE - Benched while undergoing testing

• DS likes to try to push my belly button back in. And when it pops back out he thinks the baby is literally in there pushing it back out at him 😆
    OMG that is the sweetest ^_^
  • I feel like I jinxed myself by saying my pelvic pain was still not too bad. It's been excruciating the past day or so. It's really interesting to me to hear about SPD and hip alignment issues. I have scoliosis which causes one of my hips to be higher than the other, so I wonder if that's the cause of the pain for me?
  • cmbt2cmbt2 member
    galentine said:
    I feel like I jinxed myself by saying my pelvic pain was still not too bad. It's been excruciating the past day or so. It's really interesting to me to hear about SPD and hip alignment issues. I have scoliosis which causes one of my hips to be higher than the other, so I wonder if that's the cause of the pain for me?
    Bolding on mobile isn’t working correctly 😪They told me I had scoliosis that made one hip higher than the other in my early teens. In all honesty, not to beat the horse, seeing a chiropractor made this actually go away. 
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • @junebabyh Big yes to the pregnancy hair!

Twice last night I woke up with my whole leg asleep. I'm lying on my side with a pillow between my knees to avoid back sleeping and relieve a little SPD, but now I think I have to find a new solution.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • For those having problems sleeping, have you tried an actual knee pillow? I just ordered one from Amazon and I'm hoping it'll help with the back/hip/pelvic pain I get while sleeping. I think my poor sleep is exacerbating my weight gain too. I feel the need to eat sugar all day to stay awake and my body doesn't get the sleep it needs to fully digest.

I know we'll be short on sleep once baby arrives, but I'd like to be as healthy and comfortable as possible in the meantime. Give me back my sleep, please!
    DD 10/2019
  • cmbt2cmbt2 member
    @meagan-t I may be an oddball, but I get better sleep once baby is here. It’s broken sleep, but it’s definitely better quality 
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • @junebabyh yes!!! i was just saying earlier this week how i love my hair right now. it's funny because before this pregnancy for the last 6 months or so i absolutely hated my hair, it was just looking so blah and dry/limp. Can't we keep the pregnancy hair forever?! 

• meagan-t I had that with my last pregnancy. It was so bad that I doubled over in pain in the middle of a mall while on vacation in Australia. It was brutal. It was SPD and that's really what it sounds like you have. I went to a chiropractor that specializes in pregnancy and SPD and she used this weird clicker thing on my pubic bone and would do other adjustments as well. It did worlds of good for me. I really hope you're able to get some help for it!

galentine It can seem scary to go for the first time but once go you might end up really liking it and getting a lot of relief too. You can do it :-)   Also and @cmbt2 I also was told I have scoliosis as well. I did Rolfing and although it was pretty painful (I tolerated it but have a high threshold for pain I think) it went away. 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    DD#1 December '12
    DD#2 New Year's Baby '15
    Married 07/09
  • Side Note * This is the first time I've been on my laptop on TB in.....several years. I just realized I have a siggy and it's way outdated ℓσℓ
    My July symptoms  -  Sleep sucks. Just straight up sucks. Heartburn isn't great still. I am having a harder time keeping up with everything I do all day with the other kiddos and it's annoying  :p

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    DD#1 December '12
    DD#2 New Year's Baby '15
    Married 07/09
  • cmbt2cmbt2 member
    edited July 2019
    meagan-t I had that with my last pregnancy. It was so bad that I doubled over in pain in the middle of a mall while on vacation in Australia. It was brutal. It was SPD and that's really what it sounds like you have. I went to a chiropractor that specializes in pregnancy and SPD and she used this weird clicker thing on my pubic bone and would do other adjustments as well. It did worlds of good for me. I really hope you're able to get some help for it!

galentine It can seem scary to go for the first time but once go you might end up really liking it and getting a lot of relief too. You can do it :-)   Also and @cmbt2 I also was told I have scoliosis as well. I did Rolfing and although it was pretty painful (I tolerated it but have a high threshold for pain I think) it went away. 

The clicker thingy is called an activator. 

I hit enter WAY too soon... anyway... they look like this https://www.activator.com/

my chiro explained it as a gentle way to shock things back into place without having to physically adjust you. The only physical adjustment he does is on my hip, and he uses very little force to knock it back after he lines up my spine again. 
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
    ~~~  ~~~  ~~~
  • @kats0727 I’m late to see your comment but I did the floatation tank with my first pregnancy and I really enjoyed it. I floated / napped on my stomach in the tank which was nice and I felt great afterwards. I’m debating another one after our move in a few weeks as a treat for myself. 
  • @emily1052, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I have been sleeping a lot too! I had a lengthy nap yesterday as well. I'm blaming it on interrupted sleep because of flip flopping and getting up to pee...
  • cheznet said:
    @emily1052, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I have been sleeping a lot too! I had a lengthy nap yesterday as well. I'm blaming it on interrupted sleep because of flip flopping and getting up to pee...
    That must be it!!