August 2019 Moms

GTKY: What do you miss most?

What do you miss most about your pre-pregnancy days??
BabyFruit Ticker}

Re: GTKY: What do you miss most?

• It is a toss up for me. One is definitely not being able to drink. Also I miss just feeling good. I have been nauseous daily for almost 5 months, my whole body hurts most days, I get winded all the time doing basic activities. Last night I had insane RLP after coughing then rolling over. I am SO unbelievably grateful for this pregnancy but that does not mean I love every second of it. 
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• Loading the player...
  • aukeevaukeev member
    Sorry for being MIA for a couple of weeks, ladies. We got back from Norway last week and I have just felt behind and have been dragging since. 

@Allycat11 I hear you! I think I miss being able to stay active longer without being so worn out. DH and I are house flippers and used to spend every weekend and a lot of evenings working on house/land projects. Now, I'm exhausted after just a couple of hours, even doing lighter work than I used to. 

Drinking is something I thought I would miss more. I manage a plant and craft cocktail blog and making/creating a cocktail or visiting one of the microbreweries were very common activities for DH and I before. I'm somewhat thankful that drinking just hasn't sounded good since I've been pregnant. I've had a sip of DH's drink if he orders something I haven't had before, but I haven't wanted it enough to have a 4 oz pour or a glass of wine/champagne or anything. 
  • emqbeeemqbee member
    I will second the wine! I also miss feeling good and energized. I feel like I kept up with my house way better pre pregnancy and the clutter is bad for my mental state. I’m also torn between loving the prego body and missing the old one...I finally achieved some weight loss that I was pretty proud of and finally enjoying my body, and clothes and shopping and I feel like now I have to start over and it’ll be even harder with everything else that comes with pregnancy. 
  • peachy0709peachy0709 member
    edited May 2019
    Exercise.  I like really intense exercise and while I know you can run and be really active while pregnant, I always end up being too sick in the first (and into the second) trimester to pick back up with intensive exercise safely (or are things that aren't generally recommended while pregnant, like hot yoga). 

Edited because I haven't slept in two days (not pregnancy related, entirely related to a traveling husband and therefore me waking up AT. EVERY. SINGLE. SOUND.). 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • jrm_14jrm_14 member
    I’m with @peachy0709 - The good quality, intense exercise. I also miss only having 1 chin. I also miss not feeling as intensely that my body is open to comments from the general peanut gallery. 
  • Tummy sleeping! 

Also not sure I will get back to my "between pregnancy" body again. I was in the best shape both in terms of fitness and appearance since childhood before getting KU this time. 

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    BFP #1 June 2016: EDD 16 March 2017, MC July 2016
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016
    Started IF testing Nov 2016
    Spontaneous BFP #2 January 2017: Rainbow Baby Boy September 2017
    BFP #3 November 2018: Baby #2 expected August 2019

• Surprisingly, I don't miss drinking as much as I thought I would. I miss the taste more than anything. I rarely drink to get buzzed because - fortunate or unfortunate - my tolerance (even after 9 months of rarely partaking) is such that it takes an unhealthy/unsustainable amount for me to "get there." But I do miss the taste (which is the reason I do have a small pour here and there).

I think the thing I miss most is having control over my body. In the first trimester, my gallbladder loses its damn mind and I get gastric distress regularly and without warning. I have to follow a pretty strict food/drink menu (even Sprite gives me major problems!!), which is probably why I drop 10-15 lbs during that time. Not to mention, the random mood swings and waxing/waning sex drive. I like consistency and it just isn't a thing in pregnancy. Like parenthood, when you finally get adjusted to "the new normal," something changes. Ugh.
    **History in Spoiler**
    Me-35, DH-36 - TTC since 08/10
    Me - anovulatory, non-Insulin PCOS, DH - low end of "normal" sperm count
       IUI#1   - 02/15 - Cancelled due to scrubbed sperm count <1MM
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#1 - 10/15 - 1 emb - BFP (DD 07/16) (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#2 - 07/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#3 - 08/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
    ERA Testing - 12/17 - window moved (-1 day)
       FET#5 - 03/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
    Karyotype Testing - 04/18 - Negative (we're ok)
       FET#6 - 06/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#7 - 10/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• mia8263mia8263 member
    I miss fitting into my clothes 
    I miss my brain functioning (baby brain killing me)
    I miss everything not hurting 
    I miss breathing normally 

• agpandmeagpandme member
    edited May 2019
    Riding my horse. We had big plans this year to move up a level. Not sure where that will leave us next year if we will be able to do that or have to start down on the bottom again.  No big deal. Hes only 10 years old. 

• Yep I'm with y'all on the red wine, and there are a few seasonal beers that I'm missing this year.
    I agree on missing my physical fitness. I was having a conversation with a co-worker and we took the stairs, I was winded by the time we got to the top. That was not fun. 

TTC#1 10/2016
    TTC/IF:included medicated cycles, IUIs and 2 rounds of IVF with 1 embryo each. 
    BFP finally in 12/2018

TTC#2 06/2021
    planning FET

"Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks,
    some doors are open, some roads are blocked" 

• emqbeeemqbee member
    Also...I miss not being riddled with anxiety over the health of a person I feel solely responsible for nourishing and developing
  • Definitely the taste of a cold beer on a warm day. I've never been a wine drinker, and I'm lucky enough to live in a city with a great craft beer scene. I absolutely love a cold beer with dinner every so often, especially in the spring/summer when BBQ season starts. I make my husband let me smell his beer before he drinks it- LOL. Just the smell can hold me over. I know it's probably okay to have a little wine here and there, but I have no craving for it. 

I second feeling winded easily, though. I feel like I'm always slowing down the group.
  • @mrosek91 same here with the crying. Before pregnancy, I definitely came off as cold hearted. I had no problem taking criticism, giving criticism...I was RARELY a cryer. 

I also have to agree with missing my pre-pregnancy body. It isn't so much missing it as trying to adjust to that fact that I am supposed to look like this. I go between finding myself more beautiful than ever before, and avoiding mirrors at all costs. This itself led to a good 2 hour cry the other night, with my saint of a DH repeatedly telling me how beautiful I was. But this part of pregnancy emotions took me by surprise.
  • @flagchic I'm with you.  Also not a wine drinker although I grew up in wine country and my husband did as well.  He use to work for a vineyard management company and came home with a case every year.  We gave it away as gifts LOL.  I am not much of a drinker but I do enjoy the occasional craft beer or glass of bourbon. 
  • mkrelmkrel member
    Beer and wine for sure. 
  • @agpandme - OMG, the bourbon. OK, I definitely miss that. It's a year-round love for me: warmed in cider in the falls/winter, with an iced cold diet pepsi in the summers, mint in the spring, and just random straight sips from a cooled glass ... *drool*

Thankfully, this time around the sentimental/crying thing isn't taking over (it was a bit much with DD1 and always shocked me when it happened) ... but I was a big ol' ball of anger in the first trimester this time :| Post-partum, I'm was a big softie (emotionally and somewhat physically lol) for a solid year and had only come out of it around the time I finally got pregnant this time.

I definitely will NOT miss the anxiety that has come with this pregnancy, good lord. Every movement (or lack thereof), pain, or discomfort has me up a tree and searching on Google. I think it would've been better/easier (like last time) if things had gone a lot smoother than they did, trying to get preggo.

I do miss being more nimble and being able to play with DD1. She was a pretty damn laidback, easy going baby, but is full-tilt as a toddler and while I *could* keep up with her 95% of the time, I am trying to pull back little by little so that I'm in a good place (and not seeming like I'm picking the baby over her) when I start to feel true physical restrictions. It sucks, but I know it's the best COA if I'm to prevent any injuries or further anxieties about impacting DD2.
    **History in Spoiler**
    Me-35, DH-36 - TTC since 08/10
    Me - anovulatory, non-Insulin PCOS, DH - low end of "normal" sperm count
       IUI#1   - 02/15 - Cancelled due to scrubbed sperm count <1MM
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#1 - 10/15 - 1 emb - BFP (DD 07/16) (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#2 - 07/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#3 - 08/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
    ERA Testing - 12/17 - window moved (-1 day)
       FET#5 - 03/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
    Karyotype Testing - 04/18 - Negative (we're ok)
       FET#6 - 06/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#7 - 10/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• Sleep (go ahead and laugh with me STMs... ‘cause it’s not coming back anytime soon) and coffee. DH keeps saying “if you’ve been this long without caffeine you shouldn’t start back”.... ummmm... that was never the intent buddy. As soon as this baby is off the boob I’m totally going back to my morning coffee. I would like to keep sodas to a minimum though. 
  • mkrelmkrel member
    @thirdtimesacharm2019 you gave up caffeine completely?! I still have my coffee through pregnancy and never had any issues with 1-2 cups in the morning while nursing my daughter. 

And yeah, I keep telling myself I am basically not getting any decent sleep until this baby is at least 6 months old, but let's be honest, it really took a year to get consistently good sleep.  
  • aecmaecm member
    I miss parenting my toddler the way I want. I hate that I don’t have it in me to get up off the couch every time she wants to show me something, I hate that I’m having to scale back our outdoor activities b/c I can’t chase her and don’t feel like I can keep her safe. 

And I’m not crazy, I miss drinking too...but not as much as I did during my first pregnancy. I dunno why...maybe I’m just busier and haven’t had time to think about it as much.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @thirdtimesacharm2019 just curious why no coffee if you miss it?? Every Ob and paper i have ever read says a cup a day is fine
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • @mkrel @olivemomma I eat chocolate and drink sweet tea occasionally, so I’m not a teetotaler, but no coffee or sodas with caffeine. I guess I’m old school in that what worked with the first kid feels safe. No judgement on those who do. I know there any MANY changes I could make to my diet and exercise, but I avoid caffeine, lunch meat/hot dogs, undercooked steaks (miss those too), and I haven’t drank alcohol in almost 10 years, so that’s an easy one. 
  • Frozen margaritas are the biggest thing i miss this time around. We’re getting our pool ready for the summer and just being in the back yard makes me crave a nice strawberry swirl margarita. 

I also miss getting to take care of my animals to my standards. I love my husband and I’m so thankful to him for picking up the slack since i can’t tote feed bags and stuff anymore, but he’s very much a bare minimum pet care kind of person while i spoil them. My chickens and horses will be much happier once their momma is back to taking care of them. 
  • I don't miss drinking much but there have been times when I've craved - a very cold beer (I'm not even much of a beer drinker usually), a really well made Marg on the rocks with salt, and most recently a glass of white wine. The wine I mostly don't miss (even though it and whiskey are my usual booze drinks) but I was in an airport after a long stressful couple of days yesterday and the sight of the airport wine bar made me wish for just a moment that I could have a leisurely glass while I waited for my flight. 
  • Yes to all the red wine! And beer too. Miss my IPAs so much. There are a lot of main physical things in pregnancy and general weird random stuff I’m already used to dealing with so there is nothing for me to miss there (peeing all of the time, fatigue, pain, etc.) 

I miss being able to cuddle up to my husbands back and fall asleep, tummy sleeping for sure, sushi even though I had it one time, being able to lay flat on my back without worrying, and the windedness and feeling like my airway is slightly closed is hard. 

I really miss walking without a waddle and my thighs rubbing together. 
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• Cam1027Cam1027 member
    @mrosek91 SAME on the crying front. Not a big crier so it's totally through DH off that I am crying when I hurt, or when I get frustrated. There has been a lot going on at school that is really stressful and the tears seem to flow so easy. It's so embarrassing for me, because I hate that aw the pregnant one is upset look everyone gives you. 
  • Yes to all the wine as well. I keep hinting to my DH he should be slowly stocking up for me :-)

@aecm Second to that. My last pregnancy, we went to a crawfish boil at a friend's house and I sipped on a glass of straight margarita mix. Not completely the same but close enough for me!

@texasmommahen I agree with that. My husband is TERRIBLE about cleaning the litter box and it drives me (and I'm sure our cats) crazy.

Me: 31  DH:35
    Started TTC in June 2014
    Started seeing RE in June 2015
    HSG in July 2015 = normal, started Clomid/Ovidrel/IUI cycle in August 2015
    Cycle #3 in October afforded 1st month of mature follicles - underwent IUI
    BFP on 10/27/15 - EDD 7/8/16
    DD#1 born on 7/1/16

TTC #2 in September 2018
    BFP on 12/2/18 - EDD 8/16/19
    Team Green!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hell yeaZ @MollyH1987 I’m legit going to have a wine party as soon as possible after the baby is born. My gfs are getting ready for it too. 

Earlier, I forgot to say that I miss walking around and sitting down on furniture without leaking urine. 😳Noticed it two days ago when I stood up. Thankfully it was our sofa 😅 and very easy to wash. Panty liners were on my grocery list today. 
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• There’s so much! I’m not a big lover of being pregnant— more of a means to an end to me. I miss-
    -being able to enjoy my yoga practice without limitations on being supine, prone, twisting, inversions, etc
    -drinking at social outings and restaurants, not drinking at home doesn’t really bother me
    -non maternity clothes/my non-pregnant body
    -sushi
    -being able to walk a mile without BH contractions/RLP
    -sleeping soundly

• Alcohol. I'm not a huge wine drinker. I don't dislike wine, but it's not my chosen alcoholic beverage. And I'm pretty sure I'm allergic to red wine. But I LOVE hard ciders. And mixed drinks. We had a particularly difficult day around the house a few days ago and all I wanted was an angry orchard that night. I think I ended up sending DH out for ice cream 

I mis being able to any decent medications for things without worrying of it's going to harm someone else. 

I miss not being sick. I've had a cold probably every single month for this pregnancy. And I was basically sick with a cold the first two months of the pregnancy. 

I miss not having as strong of a sense of smell. I even when not pregnant would say that smell is my strongest sense. And it is intensified during pregnancy. 

I miss my pelvis not hurting. 

And I miss having energy. 
  • @cato99 we would get along well - fellow huge wine nerds over here. We recently built a cellar to safely house our ever growing collection. Wine is seriously a part of daily life for us and we love to open up special bottles when we entertain (or just because!). We have amassed large amounts from the year we got married and the years both kids were born (here’s hoping 2019 is another good vintage) to share with them once they are of age. Yea it’s hard for me to give up, especially since the opening of the good stuff doesn’t stop once I’m pregnant. Smells and small sips aren’t enough...
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • hemlheml member
    @cato99 and @olivemomma Fellow wine clubbers and generally wine obsessed people. I LOVE the idea of saving a few 2019 vintage wines to share with Baby Girl when she turns 18 (My family subscribes to 18 to enjoy alcohol responsibly at home), so I’m totally stealing this idea!