January 2020 Moms
Options

Question Thread

Re: Question Thread

• Options
    @stashattack thank you! I'm a big fan of the "you're free to make choices, but not free from the consequences of those choices" idea. This being one of those times. The biggest struggle for me is the fact that it's my mom who is the biggest anti-vaxxer around and my 9 year old sister has NEVER had a vaccine (she's homeschooled). So these are people who will expect to hold/be very close to baby. Not to mention we already have a somewhat strained relationship. Hoping the Dr will have some good pointers as well. 

@fishakris yes thank you for bringing that up! I had no idea until recently that there were any immunizations they'd give immediately. Definitely on my radar to look into/chat with Dr about. 
  • Options
    marebear15marebear15 member
    edited September 2019
    In regard to the Hep B vaccination, I at first was completely against it because why are you giving my 1 day old a vaccine against an STD?? Then I read up on how it can be transmitted through blood or saliva, namely biting. How many kids get bitten in daycare? I'd say a lot more than we probably think. So we decided to go ahead and get the first round in the hospital.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @marebear15 Yep, we had the same initial hesitations about the HepB shot, but in seeing how it can be spread, we ultimately decided to give her the immunization at the hospital, too. Daycare is full of adorable little biters, so I’d rather DD be as protected as possible. 
  • Options
    A question for STM+: what are your experiences with hands-free pumping bras?  I never got one while pumping for DD or DS, but since I now have my own office where ill be able to shut my door and continue work while pumping, I thought it might be useful.

Brands you would recommend/avoid (particularly for someone with a large bust)?  Did it work? Was it useful? How much of a pain are they to put on and take off under regular clothes?
  • Options
    @cats_in_a_window I'm large chested (28H-maybe larger) and I loved having a hands free pumping bra. I got one that tied in the back, so I just wore a normal nursing bra under clothes, lifted up my shirt, unhooked the nursing bra, and tied it on. Super easy! It was the only way I managed. Trying to hold the cups up and start the pump and do anything was impossible for me.
  • Options
    @cats_in_a_window I would not have been able to pump at work without my hands free bra. I also worse nursing bras and just unhooked them and folded down the cups and then put the hands free bra on top.  I had one that was kinda like a tube top that I just zipped on and then could take the flanges in and out. 
  • Options
    @jaceru @persnickity thank you both for sharing your experiences, I'm definitely going to look into getting one!  Can either of you remember the brand you used?  Thanks!
  • Options
    fishakrisfishakris member
    edited September 2019
    @cats_in_a_window I struggled a bit with the hands free on getting it all situated.  I wasn't comfortable pumping in my office and opted to use the lactation room. Mainly cause the pump is slightly loud and the lactation room has a sink.  
  • Options
    I just had my anatomy scan and found out I have velamentous cord insertion, a rare umbilical cord anomaly where the cord doesn’t implant into the placenta, exposing the vessels. Anyone ever have this before who can set my mind at ease? It comes with a lot of risks ☹️
  • Options
    @DalexRN I haven't heard of it or know anyone who had it. Hopefully it's something that can be monitored and turns out okay
  • Options
    DalexRNDalexRN member
    edited September 2019
    @FyreFlyeRush It was diagnosed by MFM who tried to put my mind at ease but as you said, easier said than done. The good news is there aren’t too many risks until delivery. She was measuring a little small which could just be her or related to the cord issue but I have growth scan scheduled so we will know soon enough. I see my OB next week and plan to discuss it with him further. 
    It just kills me that I’m always a special snowflake. I developed a very rare life threatening complication of IVF with no risk factors when pregnant with my daughter, lost my son when I was given a 1% chance of loss and now have a condition that only occurs in 1% of singleton pregnancies. I have enough stress about losing another child, so discovering this cord issue just about put me over the edge. 
  • Options
    I got the first Charlie horse of this pregnancy in the middle of the night last night.  I felt that they were coming but had been lucky enough to stretch my legs out to prevent them from turning into Charlie horses the past few weeks...  anyone else deal with middle of the night Charlie horses when pregnant? 😬
  • Options
    @valerie4786 coincidentally with us having the same due date, I also had my first ones in the middle of the night last night too! Not fun!
  • Options
    @leprechaunlady so weird!!  Lo . I hope this isn't the beginning of many more for us!  I got a few when I was pregnant with my daughter too and they're just awful.  My calf is sore still today. 
  • Options
    @valerie4786 I’ve been getting them for a while now but try and catch them before they go full blown. I’m taking magnesium but also I believe it’s because I’m low in iron, so also taking some vitamins for that too!
  • Options
    @c1kc1kpol1cn1k oh shoot, I wonder if my iron is low...  I was anemic 3rd trimester with my last when I was getting them.  😬  I'll have to follow up with my OB this week.
  • Options
    Is there anyone with a water aversion? The further I go in pregnancy, the less I want it. I'm trying to find some kind of solution, but all I've come up with so far is tea. Which was working great until my SO started sweetening it. I don't like sweet tea....How very unTexan of me, I know. 
  • Options
    @FyreFlyeRush my water has to have tons of ice with it. I don’t have an aversion but I won’t drink it unless it’s ice cold.

• Options
    Water gives me heartburn.  I sometimes do better at drinking seltzer, so I have been keeping a lot of that in the house.   
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• Options
    @FyreFlyeRush I've had the hardest time drinking enough water this entire time. I was drinking flavored sparkling water, but the carbonation doesn't agree with me anymore. Lately I've been putting the flavor drops (Mio I think is the brand?) in and that seems to be helping. I love iced and tea and juice too but trying to keep caffeine and sugar somewhat in check is hard! 
  • Options
    @FyreFlyeRush I have enjoyed spindrift which is a flavored seltzer water. It has some juice but isn't too sweet. My fav is the grapefruit. I also had success with some TruLime flavored water if I didn't add too much because that would make it too sweet for me too. I feel you on the water. Luckily for me the water aversion actually got better but it was really bad there for a while!
  • Options
    @FyreFlyeRush I had such a strong aversion to water until about 18 weeks, it had to be ice ice cold with tons of ice, or I would squeeze almost half a lemon inside and again drink that. Sometimes I would add mint leave so or even turmeric. Are juices ok for you? 
  • Options
    Because of the sugar content, I'm trying to stay away from juices. Flavoring worked for a while, but then became UGH, as did sparkling water. I waa loving Topo Chico with grapefruit. Now I'm hating it.

I use decaf in my tea, or go herbal with hibiscus. I guess I can start making a cup at a time. I'm irritated that he started sweetening it while making it. You can always ADD sugar. You can't get rid of it. Grrrrr. 
  • Options
    @FyreFlyeRush I’ve never liked water and struggle big time when pregnant to drink enough. I’ve been drinking Bai drinks, which are sweetened with stevia and only have 5 calories. Just have to watch the caffeine content as each bottle has a little. 
  • Options
    My water also has to be as cold as possible. I carry an insulated bottle and its soooo satisfying mid-day to have ice cold water at work.
  • Options
    @biolprof grapefruit Spindrift is my jam. The raspberry lime is really good, too. It has ruined me for La Croix, though, because now La Croix tastes fake. 
  • Options
    Would it be just odd if I went to a concert at the 28/29 week mark? Like ....why is this pregnant lady here kinda things? 
  • Options
    @c1kc1kpol1cn1k hell no. The only reason I'm avoiding a concert in November is that it's a Tool concert, in Philly were pot's decriminalized, and it's probably going to be one giant hotbox. And as much as I am ok with pot, I think having my first pot experience with my daughter in utero is probably not the wisest of choices. Plus it's giving my hubby some much needed bro time with one of our good friends who lives out in Minnesota.
    PG #1: 36w5d 12/25/19
    PG #2: EDD 8/15/23 Miscarried 9w1d 1/11/23
    PG #3: EDD 12/15/23
  • Options
    @c1kc1kpol1cn1k definitely not. Go enjoy yourself! 
  • Options
    @c1kc1kpol1cn1k absolutely not odd! i went to a beyonce concert, 3 hours away and standing when i was just under halfway with dd. As long as youre comfortable with it, then eff anyone else!
  • Options
    @c1kc1kpol1cn1k, absolutely not. The odd ones are the ones questioning why a pregnant person is there. 
  • Options
    thank you guys for the feedback! I think I'll go and just make sure I am wearing comfy shoes for standing and somehow manage to stay up past 9am hahaaa
  • Options
    Hello! 

Has anyone been experiencing Braxton Hicks contractions? The past couple of days I have been feeling achy and sometimes crampy, similar to period cramps but milder. Everything I've found online has said not to worry, but as a FTM I feel like I have no idea what's going on in there... 

Thoughts? STMs, advise? 
  • Options
    @c1kc1kpol1cn1k You're fine! Our social media announcement for our first was DH holding up a onesie we had just purchased at an Old Crow Medicine Show/Avett Brothers concert!
  • Options
    @schreibaby It could be BH. I've had similar pains this time around (not really with my first) and figure that's what it is. If its bothering you try lying on your left side and just resting a bit. I find it gets worse when I'm on my feet a lot or dehydrated. 
  • Options
    @schreibaby, mine recently started, too. I found the more active I am, the more dehydrated, the more frequent and intense they are. As long as there's no pattern to them, and they don't increase in pain or strength, they aren't too much to worry about.