April 2019 Moms
Options

Glucose Test

Re: Glucose Test

• Options
    I think I must have got something different cause I thought it tasted like sweetened orange asphalt. 🤢
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

Me:32 DH:33 Married:04/2012 DD:07/2014 
     BFP 8/14/2018 #2 due 4/18/2019
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    To me it tastes like a melted Otter Pop. Brought me back to childhood. 😂
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    My OB's office offers a specific Naked juice as an option instead of the glucola, which I am grateful for! I haven't taken the test yet, but I did with my 1st pregnancy. The glucola drink was not my favorite, but it did not make me vomit or anything dramatic.
    BabyFetus Ticker image
  • Options
    I had my test this morning after having a cheese omelet for breakfast.  I chose the fruit punch glucola and it tasted like the drinks my mom gave me as a kid.  It was fine, but I didn't love only having 5 minutes to drink the bottle. 
  • Options
    I’d describe what I had to drink (I don’t think it was actually Glucola, but it was orange and contained glucose) as pretty gross: in between cough syrup and Gatorade. That said, better than Jell-O shots. I felt a little gross until I got to eat something else, but it wasn’t too bad.

It was kinda amusing to watch the Dr try to chase the baby around to get a heartbeat. Everyone comments on how wiggly this baby is already, an extra sugar shot didn’t make it any easier...
  • Options
    I had mine this past Friday and if you can tolerate it, I would advise chugging. I didn’t (FTM and no one told me to put my chugging skills to use) and I struggled a little after the first sip. I got my results back today and I now have the pleasure of doing the 3 hour test this Friday. I truly hate needles and keep joking that my son is trying to get me over my fear because it usually takes at least two stabs to draw my blood. 
  • Options
    @jlklec19 yes! the chugging is key! The nurse I had was really good to give me the low-down on how to get it down easier, I only had to stop halfway through to get a couple burps out. Very reminiscent of my college days...

I'm sorry you have to go for the 3 hour! That sucks. At least you know the chugging trick now. Hope the test goes well and that the first one is a false positive! Good luck!
  • Options
    Relevant article published this week reviewing the medical literature: https://evidencebasedbirth.com/gestational-diabetes-and-the-glucola-test/

Long but thorough
  • Options
    @kate_e_nb thank you! A receptionist at my office told me to drink it cold, but didn’t mention chugging it until after I had drank it. She was like “you’re supposed to chug it!” Now I know for the next one though. 
  • Options
    @lyse01 that was interesting, not tons of new information to me since I’ve been through it before. But it was interesting to see that it’s not handled the same around the world and some of the data. I especially found the info concerning alternatives to the Glucola interesting, and the different way of diagnosing via fasting numbers. 

GD treatment varies from doctor to doctor (or health system to health system). I have had 3 different but similar approaches over the two pregnancies and I have a habit of reading the GD threads on other boards. (Cause a good recipe is gold) It’s a bit surprising since you would think it was more standardized and with more hard point rules. 
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

Me:32 DH:33 Married:04/2012 DD:07/2014 
     BFP 8/14/2018 #2 due 4/18/2019
  • Options
    Totally ate some left over dinner at 1am when I was supposed to stop food and liquid at 12. Guess we will see if it affects my test this morning. 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    @phoenix92885 unless all women start the test at 8 am on the dot, I seriously doubt it. 
  • Options
    I'm going in tomorrow and I am more unhappy about having to get up early (I want to get to the lab right at 7:30) than I am about the drink. Last time I was a little shaky on my drive back to work, but I'm going to a lab directly across the street from work this time, so I'm sure I'll make it.
  • Options
    I actually did fail mine! My blood sugar was 188 and they said it needed to be 140. Im not too concerned about passing the 3hr one next week though. 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    So I took everyone’s advice to chug (for my 3 hour today) and I am proud to say that all my beer chugging has finally come in handy. The nurse said she thinks I now have the record as it took significantly less than a minute to get the whole bottle down. Fingers crossed I pass and also don’t snap at anyone because I’m starving. 
  • Options
    Passed yesterday. Had my L&D nurse friend look at the results while we were out to dinner because I was nervous, ha.
  • Options
    @jlklec19 Nice work! Its so nice to be able to put those beer chugging skills to use eh?? Hoping you pass AND that no one is a dingus to you in the clinic while you wait for a result :)
  • Options
    @kate_e_nb multiple people are eating and drinking in the waiting room, which I’m finding extra rude today haha. But I have already picked out my lunch that I’m making DH pick up before he comes to get me (hello delicious chicken and mashed potatoes). 
  • Options
    @jlklec19 Those dicks! I think a little vengeful stank eye aimed their way is totally justified given the circumstances. The chicken and potatoes sounds great though!!
  • Options
    Does it matter what you eat the day before your 1 hour glucose test? I know you should just eat "normal," but I may go get ice cream with a friend, and it'd be about 24 hours before my test. I know this is probably a silly question, but I have to ask!
  • Options
    @rennie1108 I had a big cookie the day before mine. I wouldn’t worry about it. 
  • Options
    Passed my GD screening. I am actually surprised because baby was big. I am thinking about asking to be screened again later on because the MFM thought that I had it based on baby. 
  • Options
    I didn't really mind the drink when I did the test with my son, but I heard you can ask for an alternative, and when I asked my midwife, she recommended tracking my blood sugar for a few days with a monitor at home. I did it this week, and it has been quite interesting. DH had one of the machines already, so I didn't have to buy the equipment. I take my blood sugar when I wake up, and then an hour after each meal. My numbers have been consistently good, and the midwife thinks it is more accurate than using a one off high dose of sugar. I confess I have not taken the measurements 4 times every day as planned; either something comes up at work, or I forget sometimes, but I just extended for a couple more days so I have enough data points. 

After doing this, I think I might have preferred the one hour glucose test just because I could have gotten it over and done with, but at least I feel pretty good about my numbers.. 
  • Options
    I’m taking my glucose test at 28 weeks exactly AND I’m due toward the end of the month. So I feel like I’m going to be the last one here to do it. Haha. This is my second time to do it so I know what’s coming, but when my doc handed me the glucola at my appointment today I was dismayed because I guess I forgot it was that big, since it’s been two years. Lol. Not super looking forward to it. 
  • Options
    llamamamanycllamamamanyc member
    edited January 2019
    @HGRich I’m with you. Also due end of April and my GCT is still more than two and a half weeks away; I’ll be just about 28 weeks when I do it. The midwife gave me the bottle of glucola at my last appointment and said most people prefer to drink it cold, so that’s what I’m going to do. I was told to take it on my way to the appointment so I wouldn’t have to sit around and wait. So that means chugging it on the subway — can’t wait! 🤢
  • Options
    Maybe it's different in Canada?  At the lab they take the bottle out of their fridge and pour it into a cup.  It just fills a disposable cup. It's not very much at all, maybe 3 gulps?
    Me: 31
    H: 36
    L & N twin girls: 3yo. Born at 30 weeks. 2 month NICU stay
    BFP Aug 2018: EDD April 2019
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @mermaidca they did that for me but because they were running low on full bottles - just did the math on their end.
  • Options
    Interesting @lyse01 it's always a full bottle here they're just all pretty small.  Like those "stubby" bottles. 
    Me: 31
    H: 36
    L & N twin girls: 3yo. Born at 30 weeks. 2 month NICU stay
    BFP Aug 2018: EDD April 2019
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Yeah it’s not a large bottle. It was just larger than I remembered. 😂 My docs send it home to be drunk prior to arriving at the appointment, which is nice. Though feeling gross while driving over there isn’t super fun. 
  • Options
    I’ve already done it once (because of PCOS I have to do it at 12 weeks and 26 weeks) and I just go, check in and am given the drink (I bring a straw) the. Wait 1 hr and get my blood drawn. I don’t fast before or anything. I will probably eat breakfast at 8 and take the test around 10:45-11. 
  • Options
    Do they test your blood at the beginning then after the hour for the one hour test or just once at the end?
  • Options
    rache1990 said:
    Do they test your blood at the beginning then after the hour for the one hour test or just once at the end?
    Just at the end.
  • Options
    I’m mid test. Sitting and waiting. 
  • Options
    Me too! Hopefully we pass if so I think this is the last blood test during the pregnancy @kbirchtree
  • Options
    How long did it take for your 1 hour results to come back? They told me about 48 hours and of course I took it at the end of the day on Monday. I'm just chomping at the bit to find out!
  • Options
    @rennie1108 I got mine back in about 12 hours, but they got uploaded straight to my patient portal. Last time my doctor was "no news is good news" so I didn't have confirmation till my next appointment since I didn't get a call. 
  • Options
    @MRDCle dang, that's fast! I have a patient portal as well, but if I don't hear from them I'm definitely emailing! I'm too neurotic not to lol.