August 2019 Moms

All About Nurseries/Baby Rooms

2»

Re: All About Nurseries/Baby Rooms

• I feel like I’m way behind on this. We will be using the office as a nursery until the kid starts potty training (our upstairs is split and this room is away from the other kids, which will hopefully help them sleep better when baby doesn’t). I painted the room a light grey before I got pregnant with the intention that it would be gender neutral and also a nice color when we transition the space back into an office. There are three additional bedrooms upstairs (DS1, DS2, and playroom). The playroom is significantly larger than the other two, so the plan is to move DS1 in there when baby needs to be closer to the bathroom. He will be 14-15, so he’ll keep it a few years, move off to colllege and DS2 can have the bigger room for a while... 

Back to the nursery... other than painting, we have assembled the crib... and that’s it! Hopefully after the A/S later this month I will get my butt in gear. I’m not big on decorating and highly themed rooms, but I’ll probably do something pinkish if it’s a girl (because I’ve waited my whole life for this!!). If it’s a boy I’ll probably let the older kids get involved in choosing a small theme. 

The only hang up with this room is there is not a closet, but there is a place where the wall juts in making a closet-type shape, so I’m planning to put the dresser in that space and hang a shelf over with a bar underneath for hanging nicer outfits. Most clothes should go in the dresser. 

I’m really trying to go minimalist this time with clothes, gear, etc.... but I’m also itching to know the gender so I can start shopping for sales. So we will have to see how that goes 😉. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @sourlemon Well done! That is so cute! ::runs to Pinterest for string art inspiration:: 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Yay, I'm not the only crazy nursery lady! 

@oklahomak That mobile is really cute and will go great with the decor you already picked out. Love the coastal green paint. My husband and I are wusses when it comes to using greens and we aren't sure why. 

@EmilyA724 Are you still thinking of doing the woodland animals theme?

@BigBadWolf12 and @sourlemon Your handmade items are so cute, great job!

@moon1417 Awww Little Man Cave, I love it! 

@thirdtimesacharm2019 Way to be creative and make good use of space. I hope you get your girl :) 

@Lotus_2008 Did your husband go for the night sky outer space idea? I was thinking about your smart idea to accommodate guests. As it stands, we are in a three bedroom and have no idea where we will put guests lol! 
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• Oof, I am just getting started thinking about nursery ideas. DH and I will convert what is currently our office into the nursery, but I'm not sure what to do for a theme yet. The walls are actually a pale blue right now, which in theory would be perfect since we're having a boy, but for some reason I'm not feeling it and want to paint the room in a more neutral colour. I've loved the animal-themed nursery pics that I've seen, so maybe we'll go that route. DH's only request has been that there be some sort of plant in the room. To pinterest I go!
  • @EmilyA724 I love the woodland animals, so cute!!
  • @oklahomak, I love it! It looks great. 

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

• @AKuzReve Thank you! I was nervous the wall color would be too dark, but I am pretty happy with it. I took this late last night with just the fan light on, but I love the color in the daytime.
  • jrm_14jrm_14 member
    edited March 2019
    @oklahomak The buffalo head is great!  I love the whole look. Great job!

MH is supposed to be arranging the painter to come in & do baseboards & repaint the ceiling. I’m stripping & refinishing a dresser set for the baby. He will be the 4th generation to use it, so I’m prettt excited, but overwhelmed with redoing it myself. I always start projects full force then then tend to fizzle out interest..
  • @jrm_14 Thank you! The buffalo head (actually, just about all of it) is from Hobby Lobby, and I'm pretty sure it was only $10. 

Good luck on your refinishing project! What is your vision for it? I love that it has been passed down for so long. 
  • @jrm_14 Way to go!! Those drawer pulls are super cute. 
  • hemlheml member
    I am LOVING seeing all of your creative designs and pieces. Keep ‘me coming!!!
  • Lurking from sept 2019– @sourlemon, I love the fox string art. Did you make that? Did you use a template? I’d love to attempt a string art project. :) 
  • @septoctkids I did make it. I printed out a picture of one from pinterest to use as a template. Im not an artsy person so if I don't have a template or something it would not look anything like what it is supposed to haha. 
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• @sourlemon Thanks for sharing the tip. I think I’m going to attempt one! Off to Pinterest I go. :) 
  • Bumping this up because I'm sure a lot of ladies have nursery updates and/or first time letting us know about your baby rooms. 
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• aukeevaukeev member
    Our nursery is mostly finished, it's just a mess right now. The dresser isn't in yet, so all of his clothes are just piled in the glider/recliner. Hopefully we'll get the dresser in over the weekend and I can finish up.

I have an 8-cube white Kallax cube storage thing from IKEA with wicker baskets for toys/whatever on the bottom row and books in the top row. Both walls it could go on have floor vents directly where it needs to go, and even though they only stick up from the floor about 1/8", it's just enough to make it slightly wobbly. I think I'm going to have DH attach some cute feet to it to solve this, but then it will need to be attached to the wall for more stability, I think. Has anyone else done this? 
  • aukeevaukeev member
    @olivemomma Ooh, how exciting though! I love home/room changes. The fox theme is so easy right now with how much adorable fox/woodland animal stuff is out there!
  • @olivemomma it's awesome that the kids are excited about the move! and way to go with saving a ton. 

We painted the room a very pale yellow. The chair is in there now and yesterday DH finished the dresser. It was mine when I was a kid and my dad still had it. So, we got some chalk paint and new hardware. FIL made us new slides for drawers. Now we just need to put the crib together. It has been sitting in the box in our hallway for over a month! 

Do we have a post somewhere on this, if not I'd love to know how STM+ and other FTMs are organizing dressers/closets/etc? (should I move this to the questions thread?)

TTC#1 10/2016
    TTC/IF:included medicated cycles, IUIs and 2 rounds of IVF with 1 embryo each. 
    BFP finally in 12/2018

TTC#2 06/2021
    planning FET

"Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks,
    some doors are open, some roads are blocked" 

• @Avrilmai I personally have found the closet organizers that you can hang by wrapping the top around the bar super helpful. I would put all of my extra stuff in there - blankets, bibs, socks, hats, etc. I then had a dresser with a built in changing station so would devote the side of that and maybe one top drawer to diapering/post bath needs and then the rest to every day outfits. You can fit a lot of clothes that size in each drawer! I also found having the next size up of clothes washed and ready to go helpful. They grow SO fast as babies you can be surprised how quickly they size up. With that I’d also have at least 1 good size box of diapers the size up on hand ready at least through size 2. It tends to slow down after that.
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • @oklahomak we dont have floor vents to contend with, but your plan sounds good. We anchor all furniture in kid rooms with these https://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-Furniture-Wall-Straps/dp/B0073JCV08 because our furniture all sticks out about half an inch from the wall due to our baseboards.  These straps are great compared to the little L brackets or zip tie kits that come with some things and definitely worth the money.

A little safety advice: anchor everything! My kids arent climbers but everything is anchored.
    *TW* I was 6 and my little brother was about 16 months when he climbed his dresser and it fell on him. He screamed all the time at bedtime and my parents usually ignored him, but I told my mom I heard a crash and she needed to check on him. The only body part visible was his head, everything else was under the dresser. Luckily he wasnt hurt beyond some bruising and it took him a few hours to breath normally (his dresser wasnt heavy thankfully) but I've always thought about how much different it could have been if he wasnt found until the morning. *End TW*

• @olivemomma we also did foxes.
    Mine is mostly done. I need to buy some fabric for a bench seat that we have in that room, and move the rocking chair from DD2's room (that will be done at the end of June, I'm not moving it out when DH is going to be away for 2 weeks for work and I need to put DD2 to bed). I'll try to get some pictures soon.

• Me 31  <3  DH 34
    TTC #1 5/13 BFP #3 5/2/14 DD born 1/19/15
    NTNP #2 8/17 BFP 12/13/18 ED 8/21/19
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • aukeevaukeev member
    @sourlemon Thank you for posting those straps! We have the same issue with our baseboards, so I'll definitely look into those for the shelves and the dresser. Are cribs supposed to be secured to the wall, as well?
  • @oklahomak we dont anchor the crib but I know some people do. For us, we switch the cribs to a toddler bed configuration around 15 months and neither of my kids had ever attempted to climb in or out by then, so I never saw the need. Cribs are HARD to tip over, especially if the kid weighs less than 20 pounds. Not to say it cant happen, but that is the one thing in our kids rooms that do not get anchored, even with my hard stance of anchor everything.

What makes dressers, storage units, and bookshelves easier to tip are the narrower base, heavy objects placed all over them, and easier climb-ability. The kids dressers would tip over on their own if I opened the drawers because it throws the weight forward. Add a kid on top of that and it doesnt take much for them to tip. Cribs are more spread out at their base and dont contain lots of heavy things.

• denma2015denma2015 member
    edited June 2019

So we just finished our sons big boy room.  Finally getting to the nursery.  We are doing llamas and a Southwest theme in there.  The dresser is an IKEA hack from Pinterest.  Always seems so easy until you actually do it.  

I second anchoring furniture.  You Can always patch a wall later.