August 2019 Moms

The Great Big Thread of Names

Re: The Great Big Thread of Names

• Loading the player...
  • Awwww @moon1417, isn't that just the sweetest?! DD1 has called the baby by the name I preferred since the beginning, so I think that's what helped DH finally give in that it's a good name.

I love the name Kaleigh, @purplg8r! Unfortunately, me and my siblings are all K's and have - therefore - renounced ALL K names for our children :D It would definitely be up on my list if I didn't have this strange hang-up.
    **History in Spoiler**
    Me-35, DH-36 - TTC since 08/10
    Me - anovulatory, non-Insulin PCOS, DH - low end of "normal" sperm count
       IUI#1   - 02/15 - Cancelled due to scrubbed sperm count <1MM
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#1 - 10/15 - 1 emb - BFP (DD 07/16) (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#2 - 07/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#3 - 08/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
    ERA Testing - 12/17 - window moved (-1 day)
       FET#5 - 03/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
    Karyotype Testing - 04/18 - Negative (we're ok)
       FET#6 - 06/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#7 - 10/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• purplg8rpurplg8r member
    edited May 2019
    @MamaK225 Lol. My best friend when I was 8 had a baby sister named Kaleigh and I declared then that when I grew up, I was going to name my baby girl that.  And I never wavered.  And it works for us.  H’s name and all of his siblings have either first or middle names that start with K and my middle name (that I gave up when I got married ) is Leigh. 
  • aecmaecm member
    @MollyH1987 - NOPE but I can’t tell you how super glad I am that they didn’t use a name off our list of contenders!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • emqbeeemqbee member
    @twinmammatobe you’re totally entitled to changing your mind! But I love the names you’ve picked, their beautiful!
  • Omg. They used Harrison. 🤦🏽‍♀️ Never would have expected that one. I was more worried they’d use Alexander. 

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

• MamaK225MamaK225 member
    edited May 2019
    @twinmammatobe - Not that this internet stranger's opinion counts, but those are absolutely beautiful!

@aecm - Yes! DD1 is Charlotte and I was *pissed* when Kate selected it. It was my grandmother's college roommate's name who she was lifelong, super close friends with (and I grew up being around a lot) - my grandmother's sister's name was Thelma which was not gonna happen and my sister took both of my grandmother's names, so ... Charlotte was our name. However, we call her Charlie to differentiate her from the THOUSANDS of Charlottes. She already knows she's "Car Car" (that's how they're all designated at daycare) A - since there is a B and a M in the 2k & 3k class (15 total) alone.

@mrosek91 - Oooh, I really like Mordechai! And I think enough non-Hebrews are familiar with the name it wouldn't present any issues (I've seen it with "ch" and just "c" - btw - and pronounced with like a *soft* k, something between "ch" and "k," if that makes any sense ... very close to the "Ch" in Challah you presented as an example). Either way, I think it's a wonderful combination and definitely keep bugging DH to chime in before it comes down to the wire after he's born (I know you're waiting a few days after). Not for nothing, "M" is a common/easy enough letter that I don't think it's an issue to have multiple children with that letter; it's when you get obscure (like K's in my family :| ) that it can feel a bit clunky or contrived.
    **History in Spoiler**
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• @mrosek91 as someone who does not know Hebrew (and lives in an area where Hebrew is not at all common). You're right, I had no doubt in my mind how to pronounce the name. I think it is more common now and that those that don't know Hebrew will be able to pronounce it, but still not so common that there will tons of others with that name. (like @MamaK225 and all of the Charlottes.) FX you can get your H on board before your little on is here.

TTC#1 10/2016
    TTC/IF:included medicated cycles, IUIs and 2 rounds of IVF with 1 embryo each. 
    BFP finally in 12/2018

TTC#2 06/2021
    planning FET

"Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks,
    some doors are open, some roads are blocked" 

• @Avrilmai - I'm going to need to come up with some kinda hashtag by the time DD1 starts school. Like with "The Heathers" in the 80s :D #charlottesincharge #charlottesABC #hordeofcharlottes
    **History in Spoiler**

• emqbeeemqbee member
    @dogmomma096 that is beautiful! 
  • So pretty @dogmomma096! I hope everything is going well, haven't seen you on the boards in a while. I completely agree that having a name really helps make everything in the pregnancy feel more tangible :) 
    **History in Spoiler**

• I'm having so much trouble finding boys names that we agree on, that I love. Or can see us using for a lifetime.

2ish months ago, I made us narrow our list down to each of our top 3 favourite for boy and girl.

Our top 3 girl now seem to align, so that's good. (Though I've had a favourite for years, and DH DESPISED it at first, but seems to have learned to love it.)

But we were once again revisiting boy names last night. And really, I've realized how many guys I was annoyed by/reeeeally didn't like through school. Cuz nearly every name that came up made me think negatively about someone. (Which is awful, I know. And also odd, since I got along with nearly every person while in school).

The other problem is that some names I like in English, but hate in French.

Logan has been my top boy name for over 15 years. But it's Way too popular now. (We had 3 Ashley's, 4 Stephanie's, and 2 Jessica's in our year in elementary. I don't wanna do that to my kid. As much as I love the name).

Emmett is on the list, but DH alternates between loving it and not. So it's not the right one for us.

Nathan is what I assumed our top runner was for the last 2 months. But neither of us are super excited by it or in love with it at the moment.

DH recently readded Lachlan/Lochland to the list. Which he had previously vetoed. He's really trying to include my celtic heritage I think. But there are no good nn. And I think I feel it's just a little too...Scottish. I don't see using it for a lifetime.

I've gone through thousands of names. Dozens of websites.

Urg. This is why I ALMOST flaked on team Green. Just to know whether I need to stress or not....
  • @chillycanadian - I don't know if it's available in Canada, but there is a wonderful free app called BabyName (yellow icon with a white egg) that's by DoSomethingGood. It works with Android and iOS platforms. Basically, it's like Tinder of baby names. You can set up and account and then send a link to your H. Every time there is a match between a name choice between the two of you, you'll get a notification. So it's kind of nice to be able to scroll through at your own leisure, instead of revisiting the lists over and over. Just an option if you wanna get techie with it :)
    **History in Spoiler**

• MamaK225MamaK225 member
    edited May 2019
    That's so perfect @flagchic! It's always nice when those things come so smoothly and naturally. For some reason I have already heard the name Syed and knew how to pronounce it, so there's definitely some representation of it somewhere in mass media/entertainment.
    **History in Spoiler**

• @flagchic if we were having a boy Benjamin nn Benji would be a top contender! DS is Theodore nn Theo and I just think those would be perfect sibling names! Love that your little guy will have the option to go by his traditional Muslim or American name 

@chillycanadian boy names are so hard!! With DS we were team green and had a girl name solidified but could not for the life of us decide on a boy name. It all ended up working out— when we saw him, his name just fit. My nephew on the other hand went nameless for 2 full days because they still couldn’t decide 😂
  • @jmesue1030 Thank you! I'm excited by it. I have always LOVED the name Theo for both a girl or a boy.

@MamaK225 Wow! A lot of people mispronounce it (they say "Sigh-eeed") but I suppose that might be an even more traditional pronunciation, who knows. I love that it's apart of his heritage.
  • @chillycanadian I also have so many more negative associations with boy names and I have no idea why. I even went to an all girls high school full of drama and don’t have many with girls... it really makes no sense but alas makes boy names hard
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • @MamaK225 Thank you!! All is good, I don’t have much time to post during the day so I spend a lot of time lurking!
  • mia8263mia8263 member
    Our girl names came so easily this time. Olivia or McKenna. 
    This is our last baby and it’s another boy. Only name I loved with Dominic but MH said noooooo. So Christian has been our number one name but I’m not in love with it. I woke up the other morning with Parker in my head. 
    Parker Steven. (Steven, after DH middle name) 

I dunno why I love it so much. So... 

Christian Mario or Parker Steven? 
  • @mia8263 I like Parker Steven! Or Christian Parker!
  • emqbeeemqbee member
    edited May 2019
    Ok I’m throwing our choices out there! The very first name to pop into my head is Hazel Joy. I’m madly in love with the name. I told husband and he also loves the name. So far that has been the only name I’ve come up with that I love and can see us calling her. We both agree that Joy will be in her name somehow whether first or middle. My husband has picked Olivia and Kit. I’m also now in love with the name Olivia and feel like we could use either but we just have to meet her to decide. So that’s our short list. Maybe we’ll add more to it but we will come up with some combo out of the four names when we meet her and see what suits her. 
    Hazel
    Joy
    Olivia
    Kit
  • @mia8263 - I think both are great, I do have a good friend whose youngest is Parker Steven and he is absolutely the cutest, happiest, most easygoing baby (might have some good karma attached to it!). Her middle is a pure hell-raiser (bless her heart) so she really needed a break when they were surprised with #3.

@emqbee - All of those are fabulous! I really like the ring of Hazel Joy. Simple and sunny, without too much repetition out there.
    **History in Spoiler**

• There are too many to respond to at this point, but I love all your names!

We're finally making some progress on a name, sort of. DH is stuck on Ethan, while my frontrunner is Nathaniel. Then we have a lot of other names we both kinda like, but nothing else is really sticking. We're nowhere on the middle name, though I kinda like Michael (after my uncle and DH's dad) so I've secretly been testing everything with that as a middle name. I thought this would be one of the fun parts of being pregnant, instead it's becoming increasingly frustrating for me. I feel like I'm supposed to have one of those "aha!" moments where I just know, and it's just not happening.
  • mia8263mia8263 member
    @MamaK225 oh my... I might have to do it because my middle is the same! I pray this one is good 😬
  • Yep my husband officially likes the name Archie now 🤦‍♀️
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • @olivemomma My husband was dead set on Archer but I didn't like the NN Archie.  Now its off the table all together so I'm very grateful they chose the name Archie! LOL

We are pretty sure this little guy is Lincoln Gean nn Link of course.  Gean is a family name (DH and his dad have that middle name spelled that way).  
  • @Allycat11 - What great names! It's always fun/interesting to me what NN we expect to call them and what eventually evolves. I love the Amelia NN Mia option <3 
    **History in Spoiler**

• @MamaK225 it definitely is fun to see how the nns evolve. DH and I love nns so we know they will somehow be shortened. DD is Cambria Grace and the plan was always to call her Cami or Cami Grace and that is still true 6 years later. DS is Ezra Samuel which definitely does not need a nn and we had no plan for one, but we end up calling him Ez, Ezzy or Ezzy Bezzy. We notice other people end up calling him Ez even if they have not heard us saying that. If this one is a girl I dont know if we will use Mia or Amelia more, we like both and will see what fits. DH also pointed out she will have the option to go by AJ if that is more her style. 
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• mia8263mia8263 member
    @Allycat11 Amelia is so pretty! Love that name 
  • @denma2015 I think it's really nice to give your maiden name as a middle name. I think it's pretty common-ish so I don't think anyone would find it weird.
    Me 31  <3  DH 34
    TTC #1 5/13 BFP #3 5/2/14 DD born 1/19/15
    NTNP #2 8/17 BFP 12/13/18 ED 8/21/19
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @EmilyA724 thanks for your input.  I didn’t want people to think we are hyphenating the name because I still go by my maiden name.  With my job it was just easier to keep all my licensing and credentials under my maiden name.