April 2019 Moms

Randoms w/o 10/22

Re: Randoms w/o 10/22

• I agree with @kosmo86 that up-and-coming towns are super fun! We are pretty middle of nowhere right now and love it for what it is, but have plans to retire to a smaller city that is on the upswing. 
    Me: 29 DW: 44
  • @mrstmoose I'm so glad everything is OK and you had great service from your OB. I miss having that kind of relationship with my provider.

+1 to no kegels. I always forget.

Married: 11/2011
    DS-9/2012
    DD-7/2015
    Sweet Angel Boy born too soon 12/17/17
    EDD-4/2019

• Loading the player...
  • @MRDCle For real.. I have done more kegals today than I have my whole pregnancy thanks to this thread lol 
    Me: 32 DH: 31
    TTC #2 since January 2018
    Baby #1 DD  Born 8/25/2016
    BFP: 8/11/18 Due: 4/26/18

• Haha, the book I just finished said to put a post- it on your laptop that says PFE(pelvic floor exercises) so that you remember to do them. I really only remember to do them when I see other people talking about them.
    BabyFetus Ticker image
  • I'm with @professormama.  We recently moved from the city to the 'burbs.  While I was born and raised a suburban girl and there are many things that are great about suburban life, my decade in the city spoiled me rotten.  I feel so much less active and connected than I did living in the city with lots of easily accessible things to do.  I'm sure not every move away from a busy area comes with that feeling, but I definitely have been struggling with it.  Which just goes to say, you've gotta consider more than just the financial side of things.

Kegel-wise, I tried to remember to do them during a set activity I'll basically encounter every day (whenever I'm on the subway or whenever I'm washing dishes, say).  I was pretty good during my last pregnancy, but have been garbage since.
  • Anyone have any recommendations on apps to learn baby sign language? DD is finally starting to sign “more” and I am pretty sure I’m going to be the parent that learns and teaches the rest of the family more signs.

also, KEGELS.
  • I just searched my App Store for kegel apps and there are tons of them! Though I love your baseball player reminder @MRDCle I think my elementary students would have too many questions 😂.
  • Of the kegel apps, my favorite so far is kegel kats! You can squeeze, go forever or dance, dance, dance for practice. It is not free so I won’t get it but it is so dang cute.
  • Along the theme of disadvantages to non-city living. I went to the nicest place in town for a manicure today. They did a mediocre job, and didn’t have those little dryers you sit at after - so my nails are already a little goofed up because they just sent me home with no drying! $42 not well spent, and I seriously doubt they’ll last through the weekend. I miss my freaking amazing city salon. 
  • Anyone else have an oblivious DH? We went out for lunch today and I managed to spray hot sauce in my eye. I like the extra spicy stuff, so I was in a world of hurt. I must have said “ omg I got hot sauce in my eye” at least 3 or 4 times and then I started crying from the pain. I couldn’t make it to the bathroom to flush it out because I couldn’t see anything. After about ten minutes I was fine. 
    Anyway we get in the car and he looks at me and says “ why is there hot sauce splatter all over your face?” 
    SERIOUSLY?!? 

• happymoni21happymoni21 member
    edited October 2018
    @MRDCle not very long! My physical therapist had me start doing two sets of 10 - 15 lying down or sitting. Now she has me doing more dynamic stuff (doing them while walking, lunging and squatting) and I am supposed to aim for 10 total. So not too many Kegels.

Edited to add: However, she also may not be having me do a ton right now because she said my pelvic floor strength is good, my problem is more a weak hip (so I have hip exercises I do too) and my pelvic floor not firing when it should (hence the dynamic Kegels). 
  • @harveyisaboysname that made me laugh out loud next to a sleeping baby. And yes, DH is frequently oblivious.
  • Oh, I live in the middle of nowhere and it’s 20m to grocery and 30-45 to anywhere else and we still pay too much for housing. North Bay Area is absurd. And as 5000 homes burned down in town last year there are no option and. Everything went up. Our rent went up by a significant amount too. And it’s still cheaper than in town. But it still costs more than buying a 4-5 bedroom in MN or more chill parts of NY. 

I just did a PFE per post as I read through this. Haha. My pelvic floor feels more... loose? Than last time I did these. 
  • @lyse01, I can't remember any apps off the top of my head, but my local library had Baby Signing Time dvds that I got once or twice for DS.  Not sure how much he learned from them, but I learned some signs!  When he was little, he knew a bunch (ball, book, outside, berry, dog, Grandma, Grandpa, Daddy, Mommy, more, milk, please, and thank you), but now he only remembers please and thank you because I still use them to cue him sometimes when he's being rude.

It's also super easy to Google signs you want to learn or find an inexpensive ASL dictionary if you plan on doing a lot :smile:.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kangstadt that please and thank you is sneaky and I love it. Stealing that idea. Also gonna look at the library!
  • @lyse01, I was in an ASL club in college and had lofty goals of my child knowing enough that I could tell him to knock it off and pay attention to his coach from across the field or whatever... that worked so well, haha.  I think he *might* still recognize the sign for listen, but the ones that are "obvious," or intuitive (or just ones that he was the most invested in, like asking to go outside) were definitely the ones he learned the fastest.  Milk and more are usually the easiest for little babes to learn, especially because you can use both every time you nurse/bottlefeed!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Can I just say that I'm really glad that the general response to my question wasn't "oh it's super easy to remember, we are all doing kegels/PFEs all day long"? I was worried that somehow this was a stupid thing to struggle with.

I came up with some ideas that I'll try out: doing them when I boil water for tea (girl's gotta drink tea several times a day, right?); doing them if I'm at a red light (walking or driving); or maybe just setting alarms...

@harveyisaboysname What?? That sounds like an absurd interaction! I think I'm the oblivious one in my relationship and I'm pretty sure that I couldn't have missed something like that...
  • @harveyisaboysname that is pretty oblivious. I was laying on the floor in our living room Sunday night(DH was on the couch) and when I went to sit up my lower back pinch up and I couldn’t move. I yelled in pain, rolled/crawl till I could stand up, and got my heating pad. DH didn’t notice until I said something the next morning! Oh and my mom who was in another room heard me and came right out to check on me 
  • I had the weirdest freaking dreams last night.  In the spoiler, cause it's kinda weird/graphic?

In the dream, I was waiting to feel the baby move, and then I felt a kick so I called my husband to come feel.  Well, all of a sudden the baby shoved his head up against my skin and broke out of my stomach, but it was like a straight across rip.  I'm there holding this baby freaking out and saying "You're not supposed to be here yet!"  The rest of the dream involved me trying to get him to go back to sleep and weighing him (22 pounds!) and freaking out that I was gonna give birth to a monster size newborn, haha.  Then I put him back in my belly (which in the dream was like tucking him into a Moby wrap carrier) and he went back to sleep.

I think the takeaway is that I'm nowhere near ready for this baby yet, haha.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kangstadt haha I want all the crazy dreams collected in one thread
  • @lilpotatomama beautiful. 

@lyse01 I was actually thinking a preg dream thread could be great. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @lyse01 and @MRDCle, that might get explicit fast though... :lol:.

@lilpotatomama, it's beautiful.  Hugs.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @lilpotatomama It’s lovely. 

@mesweettea Agreed- kegels aren’t usually on my radar at home or work haha. So glad the ladies on this board keep it real.

The bath product thread reminded me of the time we got a bottle of scotch as a late thank you for a shower gift. We follow my (nurse) mom’s tradition of giving a basket of diaper cream, thermometer, med dose spoon, nail clippers, booger sucker, baby wash etc. at every shower- it’s totally unglamorous and looks like you just clear out an aisle at CVS (b/c you basically do). Then like 3 months after their baby came, the new dad gave DH an *good* aged bottle of scotch and a hearty thank you. Still don’t know what the winning item was, but apparently it was better than a onesie :lol: 
  • @lin0442 My moms go to is basically all that packed into a diaper bag but she says inevitably it’s the stuff usually forgotten and most needed. 

I don’t think she’s ever gotten a thank you as good as a bottle of scotch though. That’s awesome! 
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

Me:32 DH:33 Married:04/2012 DD:07/2014 
     BFP 8/14/2018 #2 due 4/18/2019
  • Got to work today and couldn’t breathe, heart rate skyrocketed, felt dizzy and nauseous. Called my nurses line who told me to call EMS. EMS sent me to the hospital but said I didn’t need to ride in the ambulance. So away we go in the car. 
  • @lilpotatomama, oh no!  I hope everything is okay.  That's gotta be scary :-(.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @lilpotatomama How terrifying, hope everything is okay! Please keep us updated when you can! 
  • @lilpotatomama: Yikes! That's no good. Take care of yourself, and please keep us updated when you're ready!
  • Thanks for the well wishes everyone! Got an ekg and had an ultrasound on my legs to check for blood clots. Little one is beautiful and perfect - doctors said baby isn’t a concern, and they need to figure out what’s going on with me. Not sure if I’ll be admitted or not 
  • @lilpotatomama That is scary! Hope they can figure out what's wrong soon, and glad baby isn't a concern.
    Me: 29 DW: 44
  • @lilpotatomama Glad you and LO are okay! Hopefully they figure it out quickly! Thanks for taking the time to update it. 
  • @lilpotatomama so scary! Glad the babe is looking good. Hope they figure out what’s going on with you quickly
  • @lilpotatomama glad the little one is okay and you don’t have any clots. Scary though. I hope they get it figured out quickly. 
  • Thinking of you and babe @lilpotatomama.
  • @lilpotatomama wishing you the best! Hope it’s nothing serious~
  • @lilpotatomama so glad you’re okay and back home!! 

I’ve been feeling baby move the last few days. Little flutters and bubbles. It’s so reassuring and sweet.  ❤️