Infertility
Options

November 2018 IUI

Re: November 2018 IUI

• Options
    Introduction/DX: Hello Ladies,I can't thank enough for starting this much needed discussion. Sending lots of baby dust to all of you and hope you all be successful in your attempts real soon.
    I just turned 39, married 1.5 years back.It has been a difficult start of the TTC journey as DH suffers from ED. I had my first failed IUI last month and it was emotionally devastating. Clomid created a havoc inside me :(

IUI number: 2

IUI protocol: Clomid(last cycle).Letrozole and Ovidrel this cycle

Date of planned IUI: Should happen sometime this/next week, based on US.

R/R : DHs SA has improved. Its now 25 million and 40% mobility. Is it still low to be worried?  I have a low AMH too but last cycle I had 2 follicles 25 & 18 mm.I am taking prenatals, baby aspirin, CoQ10 and Folate. Trying to eat all organic and avoiding dairy too.
    Questions :
    Do I need to track my ovulation with OPK even though RE is tracking?
    Do I need progesterone shots?
    RE never mentioned anything about lining, I should be checking that during next US too right?
    Do you all go bladder full or empty during US?

What else you all suggest I do? 
  • Options
    @pegs007 Hopefully this IUI will go better! I hated Clomid but have done really well on Letrozole. Maybe it will treat you better too! In regards to your questions, even though the RE may tell you you don't need to do OPKs if you're triggering, I would suggest it in case you start your LH surge naturally (which happened to me this cycle). If you have a short LP or spotting, I would recommend requesting progesterone. If you have a good LP and no issues with spotting, I wouldn't think you would need it. Your RE will check your lining, or should anyways. I do go in for IUI with a full bladder. Hope that helps (:  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @crookshanks10 sorry to hear!
  • Options
    Hello ladies, how has everyone been doing?  I just finished my second course of Clomid this cycle, and it was a killer 150 mg. Hot flashes!! I have my US in the morning to check on the small follicles, but I just don’t feel hopeful at all this cycle. I am sorry that I haven’t been writing too much. I am just feeling like this cycle is a bust for me. 

@LJMoon6 I am SO glad that you got to switch to Femara! Why is Clomid used first line if it thins the lining and doesn’t work as well?!

@crookshanks10 I am so sorry. Has AF shown up yet? What is the plan for next cycle? Has your RE talked about IVF yet? I am feeling like I should be considering IVF options soon. 

@sarahtothea How is your cycle going? Any updates?

@mooret1118 I am right there with you about going to appointments alone. My husband has long work hours, so that is just how it goes! How have you been?

@bobella22 How are you feeling on Femara? Any different? 

@pegs007 How are you doing? What did your DH do to improve his SA? 
  • Options
    Okay ladies. Question for you. I’m dying right now on these Black Friday sales. I’m getting so many ads for things that never go on sale and they are 35%+ off. (Lillebaby carrier) 

I don’t want to miss out on the good prices but I also feel like I’m jinxing myself. 

• Options
    *lurk* @crookshanks10 Awww friend, my heart hurts for you. I'm so sorry. You know my inbox is always open to you if you need to talk beyond the boards <3 
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• Options
    @annierose3 I hope you have a good u/s today and get good news! I'm still waiting on AF. 16dpiui and still on progesterone. I'm semi-spotting, so I'm going to call today as I only have 2 more days worth of suppositories. I'm ready to come off them lol. I'll definitely do another IUI since the progesterone helped so much. I am going to ask about IVF as a next step though.
    @mooret1118 I'm more of a "don't do it, you'll jinx it" person. I'm sure they are very tempting though! EEK!
    @suzycupcake Thank you! Loved our chat last night and have my fx for you! 10 days!! (:
  • Options
    @crookshanks10 that’s where I’m ending up I think too my friend said do it because it is good energy but I just don’t know so I’m leaning towards no. Also when did your doc decide to put you on progesterone? Last month I only made it to 12 dpiui when af came. This month my period is predicted at 12 days too. It’s making it really hard to be optimistic when I see that before the 14 day marker. 
  • Options
    @mooret1118 I have always had issues with spotting but during IUI#2 I told him I started spotting 10dpiui, so he put me on it and I'm so glad he did. I wish I would've asked for it earlier. I think you should request it too. It wouldn't hurt! (:
  • Options
    AF has arrived today. Ovary scan Friday and on to IUI #4
  • Options
    Hello everyone - I'm also new this board. I've been waiting patiently (not) to be able to post. 48 hour wait period finally expired!
    Introduction/DX: I'm 42 y.o. my boyfriend is 45. We've been trying for almost a year, but because of my age (this will be my first child) my doc wanted me to see a RE as soon as  6 mo. passed. RE gave the option of IUI and thought I would be a good candidate. We put it off for another 5 months, hoping that it would happen naturally (my insurance covers nothing). This month we decided to go through with the IUI and now I'm so nervous!

IUI number: 1

IUI protocol: Days 3-7 Letrozole 7.5mg/day, Days 8-10 Follistim 300; Day 11 u/s, can have a max of 4 follicles. If OK will trigger (Ovidrel) Day 11. IUI on Day 13. Progesterone suppositories right after IUI.

Date of planned IUI: Nov. 28th.

Testing: FSH = 5.19; AMH = .24; 9 follicles; I also have a short luteal phase (around 11 days)

R/R: I've looked at tons of boards now and it seems that my RE is taking a pretty aggressive approach. I guess I should be happy about that. Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    @31magnolia that does sound aggressive but in a good way! Best of luck. keep us posted.

On 4 or 5 DPO I had bright pink blood in CM, never had this before (7 iuis previous to this month), and then for the past two days there will be times where I get a pink or brown spotting in CM. I don’t know what it could be as any IB is u likely at this stage. Ugh has anyone had any spotting this late after iui?
  • Options
    @ispi I read that with iui implantation can happen from 3-10 dpo so I’m going to send positive vibes that’s what it is!!! 
  • Options
    @pegs007 - my doctor wants me to in with a full bladder. 

I do wonder why so many doctor’s still prescribe clomid if it thins the lining and/or has so many side effects?
  • Options
    @ispi - thanks! I will. Good luck to you too. 
  • Options
    My US wasn’t too bad yesterday. I have one 17-18 mm follicle, so I will trigger tonight and IUI on Friday morning. I have to start estradiol again for my lining. The RN mentioned switching to Femara next cycle. I still have a pessimistic feeling this cycle. 
    @crookshanks10 I am sorry AF came. I wish you lots of good luck with this next cycle!
  • Options
    @31magnolia I've been wondering the same thing as to why they're still prescribing Clomid first. I know it's been around about 50 years whereas Femara has only been used for fertility for about 17. Clomid is labeled as a fertility drug whereas Femara is used to treat breast cancer. Either way, thank goodness for them! I really am a fan of Femara in comparison. Clomid was so brutal! I'm glad your RE is being aggressive! Sounds like they're doing everything to set you up for success (: Hopefully the progesterone helps your LP, it definitely helped mine! FX for you!!
    @annierose3 That's a great size follie! FX for your IUI on Friday!! 
  • Options

So my RE said that clomid has a slightly higher success rate than Femara. So I think that’s why they always start with that. I’ve done some research and found quite a few articles that support this. But I also found some more recent articles that are actually saying the opposite, that Femara has a higher success rate.

I’m in a funk ladies… My trigger shot is completely out of my system, I’ve been getting stark while tests the last couple of days. I just don’t think that second line is going to come back, especially at this point. I’m 12dpo today but don’t have my beta until Monday. I think it’s so far out only because of the holiday. I knew in my head that it was unlikely to work, especially the first time. But the weight of this first cycle not working has made me start to think of the next 3 not working too. The reality of not having our own kids has hit me hard.

@crookshanks10 I’m so sorry friend. I hope you’re able to enjoy a few adult beverages for your Thanksgiving holiday.

@annierose3 I’m glad you’re follicle decided to grow! Good luck with your IUI on Friday!

@ispi I had some spotting with my IUI that lasted about 4 days, but that was all brown, never pink. FX for you!

@31magnolia Hi! And welcome! How are things going so far?

@pegs007 Hi and welcome to you too! How are you liking the letrozole this cycle compared to clomid last cycle?

*TW* TTC history
    Me:32 DH:31
    Married: 8/2015

TTC #1: 4/2017
    Testing: HSG, U/S, BW, and DH's SA all normal
    DX: Unexplained
    8/2018: Clomid + TI = BFN
    9/2018: Clomid + TI + Progesterone = BFN
    11/2018: Clomid + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    12/2018: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone \\ Cancelled due to cyst
    1/2019: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFP! \\ EDD Sept 30th, 2019
    10/7/2019: Healthy baby boy!

TTC #2: 12/2020
    2/2021: Letrozole + TI = BFN
    3/2021: Letrozole + TI = BFN
    4/2021: Surprise! Natural BFP! \\ EDD Jan 6th, 2022 \\ Chemical, betas not rising
    8/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    9/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    10/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    11/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFP! \\ EDD July 29th, 2022

• Options
    @LJMoon6 I am so sorry to hear that you are feeling so down.  I totally can understand and relate. The holidays just make it so much tougher. I am always here to listen 👂.  I think 12 dpo might still be soon to see a positive. What type of tests are you using? Last month I took a home test prior to the beta, and I was so crushed that I probably won’t try that again. I am still really keeping FX for you. Can you hang in there until Monday? 
    Thank you so much for the information about Clomid versus Femara. I do think each RE is really trying what is in our best interests, but I just wish it would work out for any of us!
  • Options
    @LJMoon6 Sorry to hear you're feeling down, but it could just be that it's still early! 
  • Options
    @crookshanks10 Awwww I'm sorry!!

@annierose3 I'm sorry that you are feeling that way! It really sucks when you think that it's just not going to work out this cycle and have to play the waiting game... But don't count yourself out yet!!!

I had my IUI on saturday and it barely hurt this time! I was in so much pain last time so I kinda expected it again but it was fine! I've been just trying to keep busy. The TWW is killer but like everyone has been saying the holidays make it go by pretty quick!!

History: *TW Loss*

Me: 31

DH: 27

D/X: Unexplained Infertility- Unexplained Recurrent Loss

Oct IUI- CP

Dec IUI- CP

Feb IUI- Loss @ 7 weeks... Euploid Male

May IUI: TBD

• Options
    @sarahtothea I'm glad it didn't hurt! It's weird how you never know how it's going to go lol. My first I didn't feel not one bit! The 2nd was bad but the 3rd wasn't too bad. I hope your TWW goes by quickly!! 
  • Options
    @LJMoon6 so far so good. No side effects or anything. I was a little worried since I seem to be on a higher dosage than normal. Today will be day 4 of the Letrozole.  Only one day left and then injections. I am really nervous about the injections, as I'm not a fan of needles. 
    This is all happening very fast. I told my boyfriend the date of the monitor and possible trigger, and he was like "wait! You just started taking the medicine!" lol. 
  • Options
    @LJMoon6 what you are feeling is exactly what we went through the first cycle. I said I wasn’t going to do it again etc. this second cycle hasn’t been near as bad for either my spouse or I so hang in there because it is normal and it does get better. Also curious what trigger you used? I’m at day 7 and have no trigger but I’ve bever tested it out to be honest so I don’t know if it was ever a positive. 
  • Options
    @31magnolia injections are not that bad once you do the first one, you don’t even feel it the needle is so small
  • Options

Thanks for the encouragement ladies. I’ve been such a slacker at work today too. I just need to take the rest of the day off and go home.

@annierose3 I’m just using internet cheapies. I wanted to test out my trigger, so that when I did cave and test early, I would know for sure if it was a true pos and not the trigger. I’m a POAS addict. There’s no way I could wait for my beta on Monday.

@crookshanks10 Thanks friend. My heart is saying it’s still too early but my head is screaming it’s never going to happen.

@sarahtothea I’m so glad your IUI didn’t hurt this time. That’s encouraging.

@31magnolia What type of injections are you doing? Or are you talking about the trigger shot?

@mooret1118 Thank you! It’s good to know I’m not completely crazy in the way I’m feeling. I took 250mcg of Ovidrel. It wasn’t completely out of my system till 10dpo. I know it can stay in your system for up to 14 day.

*TW* TTC history
    Me:32 DH:31
    Married: 8/2015

TTC #1: 4/2017
    Testing: HSG, U/S, BW, and DH's SA all normal
    DX: Unexplained
    8/2018: Clomid + TI = BFN
    9/2018: Clomid + TI + Progesterone = BFN
    11/2018: Clomid + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    12/2018: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone \\ Cancelled due to cyst
    1/2019: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFP! \\ EDD Sept 30th, 2019
    10/7/2019: Healthy baby boy!

TTC #2: 12/2020
    2/2021: Letrozole + TI = BFN
    3/2021: Letrozole + TI = BFN
    4/2021: Surprise! Natural BFP! \\ EDD Jan 6th, 2022 \\ Chemical, betas not rising
    8/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    9/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    10/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    11/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFP! \\ EDD July 29th, 2022

• Options
    @LJMoon6 wow that’s what I have too and at 7 days both times mine has shown negative.  
  • Options
    @ispi that is good to know!

@LJMoon6 I start the follistim shots on Friday for three days. 

• Options
    Happy Thanksgiving to you ladies! I know the holidays can be tough. I am thinking of you all and wishing for good news for all of us. 
  • Options
    @crookshanks10 and @LJMoon6 Thank you! ^^ Yeah I guess I just got a good one this time!! She was like "Oh well, I'll draw a little diagram for the next person!" She was super nice but now there is a map though my uterus in the world lo!!!

@LJMoon6 Hope you are doing well! FX for your appointment Monday!

@annierose Thank you!  Hope you are doing well!!! 

How was everyone's holiday? It was only mildly awkward for me lol 
    History: *TW Loss*

Me: 31

DH: 27

D/X: Unexplained Infertility- Unexplained Recurrent Loss

Oct IUI- CP

Dec IUI- CP

Feb IUI- Loss @ 7 weeks... Euploid Male

May IUI: TBD

• Options
    @sarahtothea I felt like I was hyper aware of people watching for signals I was pregnant. 

I feel super bad today about myself because we went to the football game today and I did end up having a few beers. I know this is a polorizing topic but I just said I needed to relax and not worry so much of what if and just enjoy today as long as it’s not in excess. I just hope I forgive myself if AF that I don’t blame myself. 
  • Options
    @mooret1118 that’s okay! It gets hard to drive yourself crazy about what you should and shouldn’t esp when you are trying for a long long time.
  • Options
    How is everyone doing? I triggered Wednesday evening then went for IUI on Friday. However, my temperature has stayed low, so it appears that I did not ovulate despite taking the trigger shot. I will have my progesterone level checked tomorrow. I still am having hot flashes even though I am on estrogen. Something is definitely wrong. 
  • Options
    Hi everyone! 
    Welcome @31magnolia and good luck this month! 
    @annierose3 sorry your temp didnt raise but see what they say tomorrow before thinking the worst. 
    @LJMoon6 good luck on your beta tomorrow. 
    @mooret1118 don't be too hard on yourself. We all deserve some fun .
    @sarahtothea I hope your tww goes quick.
    @ispi. When do you go back for Beta?
        I finished my first round of letrozole and went for  cd10 us on Weds. and had 2 follies  12mm & 11mm. My next apt is not until tomorrow which is 5 days later and of course I had a feeling was going to ovulate before my apt. My ovulation kit said it was peak this morning and now it looks like I won't be able to use my trigger & Miss out on IUI Again! We BD but idk. This is so frustrating. Guess ill see what my RE says tomorrow. 
  • Options
    @bobella22 that is frustrating! I am surprised they made you wait the five days. & they never doa beta I just have to test on Thursday then call the office.
  • Options
    @mooret1118 I have that same issue in regards to alcohol. I feel extremely guilty too... but we do still need to live somewhat of a normal life. 
    @annierose3 Oh no! I hope you did ovulate and it's just something weird with the temps or meds? Let us know how your progesterone levels come out! FX! 
    @bobella22 I had something of the same situation last cycle too where I had a positive OPK prior to when they told me to trigger. They had me trigger ASAP just to help aid in ovulation. That's good you BD! Let us know what your RE says today!

My RE upped my dosage of letrozole from 5 to 7.5mg, hoping I get an extra follicle, so we'll see. He still seems optimistic that IUI will work for us, so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed. Next appointment is 12/3. Hopefully I won't see many of you on the December IUI board (:
  • Options

Ladies I am so sorry I have been MIA. I hope you all had a good thanksgiving, we had family over so was off the grid. In this all craziness my IUI happened on Friday. I did take  trigger shot this cycle and started progesterone tablets.Seems like I missed lot of updates :( trying to catch up now with y'all.

@crookshanks10 – I am sorry to hear, sending lots of good wishes & hope your way! Thanks a ton for the answers to my questions.

@annierose3 -  You mentioned no temp rise but you have hot flashes. There could still be a chance, stay hopeful.

@31magnolia – The injections are not as heard as we think. Even I had nightmares but it was not bad at all. Hope the injection experience was alright? And  I confirmed yes, bladder full is advisable for US.

@LJMoon6 – Good luck for you beta! My body preferred letrozole than clomid. Letrozole seemed subtle but Clomid was like a hurricane.

• Options
    @ispi I test Thursday too. I’m freaking out! This week is much harder than last. According to my app my period is predicted for tomorrow so we will see. I’m trying not to focus on it but today is hard! 
  • Options
    Yay! @mooret1118 & @ispi. Fingers crossed on Thurs. For you two!
    @pegs007 hope your tww goes by fast!
    @crookshanks10 sounds good that they uped your meds. More follies is more chances. 😊
      So I went to my RE this morning and was relieved that my follies are still there at 21mm & 19mm. Was so nervous bc my opk was smiling .Will prob trigger tonight and IUI tomorrow and Weds. pending bloodwork. I hope we all get good news for Christmas!
  • Options
    @bobella22 - Thanks! I do have a couple of question, as I'm new to all this. What is a Beta? And I thought the meds are supposed to control when you ovulate. But it sounds like your body can still ovulate when it wants???

@pegs007 - The shots were not nearly as bad as I thought they would be. I still couldn't watch my boyfriend do them, but the pain wasn't too bad at all. Good luck to you!

@mooret1118 - fingers crossed for you!

I went in for my cycle day 11 u/s and I have three follicles, 21.4, 17.2, and 17.5. I also had two small ones at 11 something. My lining only measured 6.9 (8 is optimal), but the doctor is going to prescribe estrace to help with that. They want me to go ahead and trigger tonight. She also said the BD tonight and the day after the IUI (scheduled for Wednesday).