December 2018 Moms
Options

Weekly Randoms | 8/20-8/25

Woo I get to drop a ridiculous bitmoji since no one's started this yet! What's going on this week, pals?
Me: 31 | DH: 31
Together since 2003 | Married 2010
TTC #1 January 2016
BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018

Re: Weekly Randoms | 8/20-8/25

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Both scenarios are possible in OB care. I appreciate the split model because @PensiveCrayon describes, there is less pressure to be delivered by a certain time of day (or day). Mine is a split payment structure too. 
  • Options
    @mag1cbeli3ver The classes are held by the doulas, so I had to pay a bit extra on top of the fee for their actual service of helping me through labor. It felt a bit silly after I'd paid, since I've given birth before and am an old pro (har har) but like I said -- I'm actually really happy I'm doing them. It's also reminding me of stuff I'd forgotten, like how crappy those first few months postpartum are, ha.

As for the classes themselves: there are 6 classes, 2 hours each but they tend to go a little long. Last night was Class #1, so they talked about the benefits of med-free/natural birth and having a doula, and also went over exercises for comfort and baby positioning and had the chiropractor come in to talk about her services. Next week is nutrition. I can't remember what class 3 is, but 4 is on comfort measures during labor and 5 is on the various interventions that may arise. 6 is on all things postpartum. I've actually already been to classes 4 and 6 because the way our Sundays go, I'm lucky to be able to carve out two baby-free hours. The doulas just run them on a repeating basis every Sunday ad infinitum, so they don't mind having people pop in and out as needed.
    TTC #1 January 2016

TTC#2 March 2018
  • Options
    omnommeromnommer member
    edited August 2018
    @mag1cbeli3ver That seems like a short class! All the classes through my local hospital (of which you can take Lamaze, Hypnobirthing, other things, etc.) are all 6-7 weeks long, and 2.5 hours per class. I chose hypnobirthing and actually just started it because they only offer it every 2 months and if I took the next class and delivered early, I will not have had the last few classes! It's 5 weeks of birth class, a week on breastfeeding, and a week on newborn care. I could have found a class starting in late September elsewhere, but didn't want to research other classes in the area, lol.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    How do you all feel about a things to ask to find a pediatrician thread? I got a lot of good tips the first time around about things to ask regarding the practice in general.
  • Options
    @omnommer Oh cool! I’ve been doing The Hypnobabies online self-study course (as well as the doula birth classes, heh). Glad I’m not the only crazy in here doing childbirth hypnosis ;)
    TTC #1 January 2016

TTC#2 March 2018
  • Options
    hkomhkom member
    @Jens_Hoes Start it up! 

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @Jens_Hoes thumbs up on the pediatrician thread. 
  • Options
    @texas_t Yay!!
    NTNP since Dec 2012 | TTC since Jan 2016
    Dx: Unspecified IF

BFP#1 Nov 2017 • Blighted Ovum + MMC • D&C at nine weeks
    BFP#2 Apr 2018 • It's a boy! • Born 13 Dec 2018 :love:
    Anniversary
  • Options
    @texas_t Hooray! Did you have to go in and wait the three hours, or how did it work? Asking for a friend...who is pretty sure she’s going to fail the screen and doesn’t want to wait at the OB for 3 hours with her rambunctious toddler. 
    TTC #1 January 2016

TTC#2 March 2018
  • Options
    @texas_t Great news!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @texas_t YAY!!! So glad you passed!
  • Options
    @pensivecrayon You have to stay the whole time because they take your blood once every hour.  They take it right when you get there and make you drink the juice right after. Then, every 60 minutes they take your blood.  Unfortunately you can't stray very far.
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Expected Rainbows 12/2018*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• Options
    @PensiveCrayon I haven’t done it yet this time,  but it is a long haul. If I were bringing a toddler along, I’d bring all the activities and snacks you’d bring for a 3+ hour flight, and I would definitely bring the ipad or other desperation device. 
  • Options
    echoing what has been said above.  I wasn't allowed to leave for my 3 hour test.  I brought my computer and stuff to do.  They also didn't allow me to eat or drink anything and I believe I couldn't leave partly because they didn't want me walking around or anything.  I guess physical activity changes your results? I would try to get a babysitter or something that day because even I had cabin fever by the time I was done. @PensiveCrayon

Congrats @texas_t
  • Options
    Yeah, I'd probably just get a sitter like @Jens_Hoes suggested. Or see if I could schedule it for when the in-laws will be in town! But again. I haven't even failed the first glucose test, so I'm just getting way ahead of myself here.
    TTC #1 January 2016

TTC#2 March 2018
  • Options
    @pensivecrayon Yeah, I was going stir crazy, much less a kiddo! Hopefully you won't even have to find out!
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• Options
    @texas_t Woohoo!

**June Siggy Challenge - P.I.L.Fs**
    httpsstaticboredpandacomblogwp-contentuploads201702best-dad-ever-chris-hemsworth-thor-589aec291b80c__700jpg
  • Options
    katy0990katy0990 member
    edited August 2018
    @texas_t Yay! Congratulations!

Re: birthing classes It is crazy how different things are from hospital to hospital. last time we took the natural birthing (3 hours for 4 weeks), the breastfeeding class (2 or 3 hours one evening) and the caring for your newborn class (2 or 3 hours for 2 weeks). 

• Options
    @texas_t YAY for passing! I’m dreading taking the test. I was diagnosed really early last pregnancy so I’ve been happily eating all the carbs and sweets until my ob orders me to take it this time lol. 

Re: classes - our hospital offered a breast feeding class, a newborn class and a birthing class, all for free. It was pretty cool because we also found out that you didn’t have to be giving birth at the hospital to attend. They were SO useful and we’ve recommended them to so many friends. If you’re unsure about the classes offered at your hospital, maybe check other nearby hospitals for free classes!
    Me: 31 | DH: 43
    BFP #1: 7/15/15, SB: 11/14/15
    Rainbow baby DS born 9/29/16!!
    BFP #3 3/26/18 | Due 12/3/18
  • Options
    @westcoastfoodie FX you pass! I know I could handle a GD diet, but I'd prefer not, lol
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• Options
    @westcoastfoodie Wow! That is so nice that they are free!

I dropped off my admissions paperwork and birth certificate forms! That made it feel so close, even though I still have months to go.
  • Options
    Also, yay no GD @texas_t! Hope you're feeling better, BTW.

Impressed at the wide variety of positive class experiences! We only did the childbirth class last time. It was a general overview of C-sections and vaginal birth, but it lasted 8 straight hours and made my poor husband deeply uncomfortable (largely because of the focus on all the things that should go wrong, I think, as well as the many, MANY videos of the vaginal birth money shot). Could have done breastfeeding, didn't and still ended up going 2 years. Skipped the newborn classes, but that's what my BMB was for, right? Probs should have done one of the labor technique classes since I ostensibly planned to go med-free, but in retrospect I'm fine with the epidural and it's not like I could have hypnobirthed my way through an emergency cesarean, so things worked out okay. I think we're skipping classes altogether this time, though I guess I should set up a hospital tour? Are we really at that point already?! Time flies!  
  • Options
    @AGK2015 I am so glad your first day went well!  I would just double check that your OB, hospital, etc are covered under your new plan. 

Re: hospital classes The bfing one was more helpful for sharing than for me. It’s not really something you can learn how to do until you try, plus I had been around enough nursing moms that the info wasn’t really new. However, it was helpful for H to learn how to help me and how much work it can be, so he could offer support. The class really helped commit him to bfing. The newborn class wasn’t that useful, except for the part about choking and CPR. It wasn’t a certification class, but they gave us enough info and practice that I felt comfortable with administering it if I had to, which was reassuring, especially as he started solids.
  • Options
    @AGK2015 when I switched jobs in December that is what I did.  Luckily no one needed any medical care for 1 month so I saved a lot of money not doing COBRA.  The fact that it is retroactive is what made me decide to do it that way.
  • Options
    I specifically didn't go to birthing classes because I didn't want to freak myself out, lol. I figured the nurses and doctors could walk me through it once we got there.  I ended up needing a C, so it all worked out, lol! I did take a breastfeeding class (I'm glad I took this; it was very helpful), infant safety and cpr(a must), baby care (because I literally had only handled like 1 newborn before), and car seat safety (I highly recommend this class).

I think I'm going to retake the infant safety and cpr. It's been over 3 years.
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• Options
    I took an infant care class (as well as BF, which was helpful) and still managed to panic when the nurses told me I could change my son’s diaper. :joy: Looking back on how truly infant-clueless I was back then makes me giggle. But everyone figures it out somehow! They also made us do purple crying and infant CPR videos before they released us. We called A “Mini Baby” for the longest time after the CPR video. 
    TTC #1 January 2016

TTC#2 March 2018
  • Options
    @jens_hoes I think the hospital staff can be a wonderful resource, but LO will be your baby and you know what they need better than anyone! We were told so many conflicting things, especially about bfing, but ultimately it was my job to advocate for DS and do what we felt was best.
  • Options
    I had no - I'm telling you, absolutely ZERO - experience with babies or newborns when we had DD. I'd held a two-day-old for about 30 minutes one time. 
    It's so hard to remember but I think we did...
    Birthing class over 3 evenings, maybe 2-3 hours each? 
    Breastfeeding class. Probs 90 min-2 hrs? 
    Caring for your newborn class with an infant CPR add-on. 3-4 hrs? 

The newborn and birthing might've been switched? Either way, I'm so glad we did all of them. I had never even changed a diaper until we practiced with the babydolls. We all figure it out, but I am someone who appreciates and likes information overload. I revisited the literature they gave us many times leading up to birth. 

LOL: for the birthing course, our instructor didn't/forgot to tell us that the women in the video were all unmedicated. :D Probably obvious to most, but there were some of us who were like "wtfffff" they still look so pained and miserable! Well, they were all going medication-free. 

• Options
    Re: classes
    I’m taking a breast feeding one, which is kind of helpful but also kind of like things I couldn’t just look up on my own? I guess it’s nice to talk with other pregnant women in my area though. Like one day we did a little quiz for fun and it’s like “true or false, babies only cry when hungry?” And I just thought that was a waste of time and I hope people don’t seriously think that. Babies cry because that’s how they communicate. 

For those who have taken a newborn care course, is it different than any regular infant care (considering I work with infants?). I don’t know much about fresh babies, but I’m guessing the hospital will tell me newborn specific stuff, like the umbilical cord drying process. Is there anything else specific to newborns? Also, having a baby 24/7 sounds a little overwhelming. I’m glad I have a partner doing this with me. I like to sleep.